IGNORED

31 years of wedded Duggar BLISS

DeFrauder

hate how people are being so mean about the ring--all over the internet. Of all the things that JB is, it is clear that he was really excited about giving his wife this gift and that he had made a lot of effort to give her something special. It might not be a ring that most of us would choose for ourselves, but there is no accounting for taste. ]

The problem is that Jim Bob is always excited about something and never takes into account whether his family may share his excitement. He should know Michelle well enough to know she wouldn't like it. He should have given Michelle something he knew she would want. He designed a ring he would like, I am not sure he thought about if she would like it. I think Jim Bob truly loves Michelle, I have no doubt about that, but I don't think he sees her as an individual, just the former cheerleader who gave birth to eleventy of his kids. Has he ever gotten her a gift that was not being a mom related? If this is the 31st anniversary, what did he get her for their 30th? Why make a big deal out of an odd number anniversary? Was this just for show?

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do recall Michelle stating on more than 1 occasion that she LIKES BLING [big, sparkly]...but that bling was incongruent with her lifestyle.

She might LIKE it.

Though, she probably would have liked some input.

I actually put some thought into this because I did at one time design jewelry for a living.

First of all I'm not crazy about birthstones. The tones and saturation levels don't always play well together. Citrine could pair up with aquamarine nicely but then throw in a garnet and and an emerald and you have a mess. I've never understood why if you are born in a certain month you have to have jewelery made with a certain stone. I hate peridots and my mother hates opals but we both have jewelry featuring those gems because they are our birthstones.

So first I would ask JB what Michelle's favorite stone is. Let's say it is aquamarine. I would use an emerald cut aquamarine as the centerstone and set 9 baguette diamonds on each side graduating into the ring. Or if that is too much, 3 baguettes and 6 pave per side. Viola. 19 stones to represent 19 children. That way Michelle could enjoy the piece as a pretty, elegant ring and if she wants to share the symbolism with others she can tell them, "There is a stone for each of my children."

I thought the blonde was Sierra...she does already does look middle-aged LOL

I'm pretty sure the blonde is Boobs sister/Famys mom.

So are the stones real or fake? With Jim Bob being so cheap and all.

I'm sure they are real only becUse you have to start getting creative when you have millions to hide.

I've never been crazy about Ben Seewald's crooked wedding ring design for Jessa, but at least he gave it to her for their wedding, which was the intended occasion. Why Jim Bob gave a mother's day gift to his wife for their anniversary is beyond me.

I still think the ring could have worked as a cluster if the stones were smaller. My mother had some cluster rings that had tiny stones, older pieces from the 40s and 50s, and they were beautiful. Not too long ago, I bought a ring I saw in a catalogue, which was lovely, but when it arrived, it was way too heavy on my finger. I don't think I'll wear it much for that reason, and I have bigger hands, too. I have a feeling that Michelle will have the same issue.

The classiest bling he could have created for her would have been a simple eternity band, with two tiny inset circles of gemstones encircling the ring.. one circle for the boys, another for the girls. She could have worn it all the time, and it would have been sparkly enough.

What he gave her looked like some sort of horrible satellite dish on a band, or a secret decoder ring straight out of the gumball machine.

Seriously, what is with the trend with these men designing jewelry for their women? Jewelry design is pretty difficult, since everyone has different taste and things can go very wrong quickly (see: Jessa's funky ass ring). Rather than designing something terrible, why don't they..I don't know...get other people's opinions (maybe even the women in question? Just a thought) on jewelry that's already been designed? Or work with someone experienced in jewelry design to make something pretty and unique? I would be somewhat disappointed if my significant other seemingly didn't take my thoughts or opinions into account when buying something for me. It's all hubris with these men.

I assumed that both Bin and Boob didn't design the rings all by themselves but instead gave their drawings to a jeweler. The jeweler probably made a professional drawing with scaled measurements, and provided a quote for materials and labor.

Much like Duggar-style parenting, I doubt that they did the majority of the work themselves.

I wonder if Bill G would approve of the listening to YMCA"? She skates to an 'ebil' disco song, but didn't know who Dolly Parton was. At least I think she was pretending to not know. If you knew "YMCA' you should have had an inkling of who Dolly was.

Yes the ring is horribly ugly. I wonder does Jim Bob value Michelle for anything other than being the mother of his brood?

Did anyone else notice how equally tacky the plastic faceted ring box was? It looked like something that might come in a Disney Princess jewelry collection. Plastic, overdone and cheap.

The cluster comment did get cut off by the incoming kiss. What cracked me up even more was Grandma Mary couldn't quite decide where she was supposed to be standing for the presentation of the ring. So she puttered about getting right in the middle of the shot right before Jim Bob was going to give the ring to Michelle. After all these years don't you think the adults at least would have a basic sense of blocking out a scene?

I wonder if Bill G would approve of the listening to YMCA"? She skates to an 'ebil' disco song, but didn't know who Dolly Parton was. At least I think she was pretending to not know. If you knew "YMCA' you should have had an inkling of who Dolly was.

Agreed. Given their age group, and the fact that neither was raised as a crazy-level fundie, there is no way that they could not have heard of her.

Yes the ring is horribly ugly. I wonder does Jim Bob value Michelle for anything other than being the mother of his brood?

Did anyone else notice how equally tacky the plastic faceted ring box was? It looked like something that might come in a Disney Princess jewelry collection. Plastic, overdone and cheap.

The cluster comment did get cut off by the incoming kiss. What cracked me up even more was Grandma Mary couldn't quite decide where she was supposed to be standing for the presentation of the ring. So she puttered about getting right in the middle of the shot right before Jim Bob was going to give the ring to Michelle. After all these years don't you think the adults at least would have a basic sense of blocking out a scene?

That was a lovely moment... it was proof that the days of professionally-filmed (and TLC-funded) Kodak moments are over.

The problem is that Jim Bob is always excited about something and never takes into account whether his family may share his excitement. He should know Michelle well enough to know she wouldn't like it. He should have given Michelle something he knew she would want. He designed a ring he would like, I am not sure he thought about if she would like it. I think Jim Bob truly loves Michelle, I have no doubt about that, but I don't think he sees her as an individual, just the former cheerleader who gave birth to eleventy of his kids. Has he ever gotten her a gift that was not being a mom related? If this is the 31st anniversary, what did he get her for their 30th? Why make a big deal out of an odd number anniversary? Was this just for show?

I dunno, my marriage is pretty high functioning and my husband has to be supervised when getting gifts. Although he does try. Sometimes he gets it right and sometimes not.

I still think Michelle is the puppet master though.

The big present for the 31st is kind of weird. What did she get for the 30th?

Why are they not showcasing what their KIDS got them?

btw here is a throwback article: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... ry-2014297

Because a handmade crochet tablecloth is JUST what a young family needs! It is also kind of sketchy because it seems like they were living together before getting married.

Agreed. Given their age group, and the fact that neither was raised as a crazy-level fundie, there is no way that they could not have heard of her.

Give me a BREAK. She knew who Dolly Parton was! Everybody knows who Dolly is. It was an outrageous lie!

I think everyone is being a little hard on Jim Bob. He was clearly excited to get his wife something special. They have been married a long time and I'll bet some of the years were lean when their anniversary came around. We all try hard to pick something our spouse would like and we don't always get it right. I didn't get the impression that Clown Car liked it that much but the gesture was good.

I don't think they had to put the film on You Tube though. Save it to show to your family. The rest of the world isn't too happy with you Boob.

Nope. Not going to give JB a big ole pat on the back because he "tried." Women do this all the time because...must not bruise the fragile male ego.

A woman goes out to buy her guy a present weeks before the event. She really thinks about the stuff he likes and she has memorized his sizes, his favorite colors, and his style choices. She wraps it nicely and she gives him the present on the appropriate day. Standard practice-- putting some thought and effort into a gift for the man you love in the hope that he will be pleased.

A guy wakes up, realizes it is his anniversary, buys some gas station flowers on the way home (forgetting that she hates orange flowers) and announces they are going out to dinner. This after she has already made Roast Prime Rib with gravy and his favorite side dishes. Never mind, just stick that in the refrigerator. He announces they are going out to ....The Fish Market! his favorite restaurant, forgetting that she hates fish. They come home and he tells her that he would have gotten her a present but he just didn't time, but thanks for the watch because it is just his style and his old one was keeping crappy time. (which of course she noticed and remembered.) And then it is hot sexxy time because that, to him, is what anniversaries are really about, never mind if his wife is in the mood.

I exaggerate, of course (and, n,o the above scenario did not happen to me.) However, I get tired of having such a low bar for men (He actually changed a diaper?! He's a keeper!) Just because JB dropped some money on a hideous ring that he designed does not make him Husband of the Year. I don't care if he "tried," he needs to try harder before I applaud.

Nope. Not going to give JB a big ole pat on the back because he "tried." Women do this all the time because...must not bruise the fragile male ego.

A woman goes out to buy her guy a present weeks before the event. She really thinks about the stuff he likes and she has memorized his sizes, his favorite colors, and his style choices. She wraps it nicely and she gives him the present on the appropriate day. Standard practice-- putting some thought and effort into a gift for the man you love in the hope that he will be pleased.

A guy wakes up, realizes it is his anniversary, buys some gas station flowers on the way home (forgetting that she hates orange flowers) and announces they are going out to dinner. This after she has already made Roast Prime Rib with gravy and his favorite side dishes. Never mind, just stick that in the refrigerator. He announces they are going out to ....The Fish Market! his favorite restaurant, forgetting that she hates fish. They come home and he tells her that he would have gotten her a present but he just didn't time, but thanks for the watch because it is just his style and his old one was keeping crappy time. (which of course she noticed and remembered.) And then it is hot sexxy time because that, to him, is what anniversaries are really about, never mind if his wife is in the mood.

I exaggerate, of course (and, n,o the above scenario did not happen to me.) However, I get tired of having such a low bar for men (He actually changed a diaper?! He's a keeper!) Just because JB dropped some money on a hideous ring that he designed does not make him Husband of the Year. I don't care if he "tried," he needs to try harder before I applaud.

I guess I'm spoiled because Papa Sew Dear does such a good job, even after 38 years. I see how excited he is by what he has picked and is so anxious that I like it. I have a hard time keeping up with my gifts!

To be fair, JB had to have put thought into that ring even if it was ugly. Other than that, yes, he is a vile human being.

I guess I'm spoiled because Papa Sew Dear does such a good job, even after 38 years. I see how excited he is by what he has picked and is so anxious that I like it. I have a hard time keeping up with my gifts!

To be fair, JB had to have put thought into that ring even if it was ugly. Other than that, yes, he is a vile human being.

Mr05 does very well, too. He had half of my b-day present this year before I had managed to shop for his b-day at all and mine is nearly a month after his.

Not all men are slackers at gift giving.

I think that JB put some time and effort into the ring, even though I think it is ugly, and I can't see Michelle wearing it.

The thing that bugged me was the half-assed way he gave it to her. Casually standing in the entry with random people milling about, and someone awkwardly taping it. It wasn't even wrapped!

He should have given it to her when they were alone. If he needed to be able to post something, they could have taken a picture of her hand wearing it, and written an appropriately cheesy post for Facebook.

And then, apparently the whole crew went roller skating. It really seemed more Mother's Day than anniversary.

I think they are going to really have a hard time when they have an empty nest, their relationship is solely based on their children.

As far as gifts for you spouse: My hubby and I have been together 35 years. Quite awhile ago we stopped giving each other gifts, except for occasionally at Christmas. We always fill a stocking with small things at Christmas for each other, and we have a blast doing that. Our birthdays are a week apart, so we celebrate them together. Instead of buying gifts we go out and do something special together. My hubby just bought us concert tickets for our birthday this year. Often on our anniversary we will try to take an overnight trip together. At this point in our lives, we don't need more stuff, we would rather do things we enjoy together.

Give me a BREAK. She knew who Dolly Parton was! Everybody knows who Dolly is. It was an outrageous lie!

Dolly was around long before the Village People. Even non-country people know Dolly.She made"The Best Little W***House in Texas", "Nine to Five". etc. The kids just know her as someone who gives books to kids.There is an old video of Michelle making the YMCA letters on a Disney Ride back in 2006.

As for the ring, there is no doubt JB loves Michelle and i give him credit for trying to do something nice, though I wish it were something more personal. I think a good present would be to send all the kids off on a vacation and them stay at the TTH alone..

I think a good present would be to send all the kids off on a vacation and them stay at the TTH alone..

Ha! Who would do the cooking and cleaning?

It IS their anniversary, and you know they deserve to be spoiled. :ew:

I am pretty sure that she hates the ring--but I am also pretty sure that she will wear it anyway to show how submissive she is and to make him feel good.

I dunno, my marriage is pretty high functioning and my husband has to be supervised when getting gifts. Although he does try. Sometimes he gets it right and sometimes not.

I still think Michelle is the puppet master though.

The big present for the 31st is kind of weird. What did she get for the 30th?

I have a great marriage (at least we think it's great) and when I first met my husband he was terrible at gift giving. I've actually put a lot of effort into training him and 15 years later, he's gotten really good at it. He's even given help and advice to other guys.

He actually wanted to be trained and wanted to be good at gift giving. He likes making the occasion special and wants to get me things that I want and love.

I sometimes think I should write a book for men on how to select gifts for their women. I figure the women would buy it and give it to the men.

My husband has yet to top the gift he gave me for my 47th birthday...poor guy goes nuts trying to buy me gifts most of the time, I don't wear jewelry, I don't wear fancy clothes, I have everything I need...

So...anyway...my birthday gift for my 47th birthday was TOTALLY over the top...and the great part is that he can keep giving me gifts to go with or on it! I don't think he ever thought he'd be on a first name basis with the customer service team at American Muscle.

The gift was a 2004 40th anniversary edition Mustang...exactly the body style I wanted, the color I wanted and now it has a lot of the goodies on it I wanted!

Archived