IGNORED

31 years of wedded Duggar BLISS

DeFrauder

Nope. Not going to give JB a big ole pat on the back because he "tried." Women do this all the time because...must not bruise the fragile male ego.

A woman goes out to buy her guy a present weeks before the event. She really thinks about the stuff he likes and she has memorized his sizes, his favorite colors, and his style choices. She wraps it nicely and she gives him the present on the appropriate day. Standard practice-- putting some thought and effort into a gift for the man you love in the hope that he will be pleased.

A guy wakes up, realizes it is his anniversary, buys some gas station flowers on the way home (forgetting that she hates orange flowers) and announces they are going out to dinner. This after she has already made Roast Prime Rib with gravy and his favorite side dishes. Never mind, just stick that in the refrigerator. He announces they are going out to ....The Fish Market! his favorite restaurant, forgetting that she hates fish. They come home and he tells her that he would have gotten her a present but he just didn't time, but thanks for the watch because it is just his style and his old one was keeping crappy time. (which of course she noticed and remembered.) And then it is hot sexxy time because that, to him, is what anniversaries are really about, never mind if his wife is in the mood.

I exaggerate, of course (and, n,o the above scenario did not happen to me.) However, I get tired of having such a low bar for men (He actually changed a diaper?! He's a keeper!) Just because JB dropped some money on a hideous ring that he designed does not make him Husband of the Year. I don't care if he "tried," he needs to try harder before I applaud.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Couldn't have said it better. I've seen this scenario happen so many times to the a great variety of individual women but they all have one thing in common: men whose ego is bigger than a giant and who think that the thought counts (even if there's been comparably few thought) and that trying is enough.

I lucked out because Mr.Pretzel actually considers my feelings, likes, and dislikes. I can mention liking or wanting something once and Mr. Pretzel will remember it and give it to me as a present for an anniversary or birthday even if it's half a year later. It's much harder picking something for him because he rarely ever suggests that there's something he'd like to get.

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder what Michelle will do when the house is empty or Jim Bob for that matter.

That ring is hideous and Michelle didn't hide she didn't like it on camera.

So her anniversary pressie is still all about the kids then. So that's all she's worth now that is sad.

If this is the 31st anniversary, what did he get her for their 30th? Why make a big deal out of an odd number anniversary? Was this just for show?

Her present for their 30th was the privilege of being in Boob's TLC Dog and Pony show for a tenth season. I think one year he actually got all the kids to cook an anniversary dinner for him and Michelle, and put on a Biblical set of skits and songs. Typical Boob.. get someone else to do the work and then re-sell that on the show at $40K a pop. GENIUS!

Now there is no more TLC show, he has to pony up a gift instead.

I could absolutely tell she hated it and couldn't wait to take it off.

I don't think JBoob and J'chelle have nearly the "wonderful" marriage they'd like us ordinary mortals to believe. I think he's stuck at the hormonal 19 year old kid who got married and she's over it. I've watched clips of them together and something just seems off...their body language around each other seems sort of stiff...like they're playing a role in a play instead of anything genuine.

Long time lurker and finally posting. Didn't know whether this belonged with the thread about J'chelle's voice or here.

I find it really interesting. Thanks for all the snark.

Voice of false submission

Hope I did this right--I'm sure someone will tell me!

P.S. When I can't sleep, I name Duggars instead of counting sheep

JB should have gone on blue nile dot com. They have great gemstone jewelry on there! Of course none with 19 gemstones but at least he could have gotten better ideas then the ring he had made. Regardless if the ring is ugly or not, it just doesn't seem to be HER. M wears very simple jewelry and her thrift store (by choice) green shirt every day. Why would he even think she would want this ring?

Also, does JB sorta shove Jackson out of the way there? :?

Jessa's shirt is very tight! She's definitely easing up on the modestly rules. Interesting.

I have a great marriage (at least we think it's great) and when I first met my husband he was terrible at gift giving. I've actually put a lot of effort into training him and 15 years later, he's gotten really good at it. He's even given help and advice to other guys.

He actually wanted to be trained and wanted to be good at gift giving. He likes making the occasion special and wants to get me things that I want and love.

I sometimes think I should write a book for men on how to select gifts for their women. I figure the women would buy it and give it to the men.

I fixed the quoting for you.

I fully endorse training husbands. :-P

As I said above, I think that Michelle has trained her husband, as well. She trained him to think he was superior and that all his family members should hang on his every word and have blind obedience to him. She taught him to believe that every word he says is correct. That he is never wrong even when he is wrong.

She created a monster.

Long time lurker and finally posting. Didn't know whether this belonged with the thread about J'chelle's voice or here.

I find it really interesting. Thanks for all the snark.

Voice of false submission

Hope I did this right--I'm sure someone will tell me!

P.S. When I can't sleep, I name Duggars instead of counting sheep

Thanks for that link. It was a great thinkpiece and included some interesting links, one of which looks like a study on sibling sexual abuse (I haven't read it yet, but will soon).

Probably the biggest revelation of their interview was that they claimed to personally know many other girls who had gotten much worse treatment. If that statement is true and not just a blithe restatement of Jim Bob’s earlier assertion, it’s not hard to guess who these other girls must be: fellow cult children. - See more at: http://www.patheos.com/blogs/rolltodisb ... WNJsa.dpuf

The writer has a good point here. For all anyone knows, the Arkansas Fundie community is a regular Pitcairn Island. That is what the Duggars have implied.

JB: What Josh did is NOTHING compared to what is going on in our friend's families!

Why isn't the media holding him to account for that statement? It is a win win situation for them. Clicks and views just for the speculation articles and then jackpot when they cover CPS and the police apprehending quivers left and right. Do we have to tell these 'journalists' EVERYTHING?

I don't think JBoob and J'chelle have nearly the "wonderful" marriage they'd like us ordinary mortals to believe. I think he's stuck at the hormonal 19 year old kid who got married and she's over it. I've watched clips of them together and something just seems off...their body language around each other seems sort of stiff...like they're playing a role in a play instead of anything genuine.

Their interactions have always read to me as being very deliberate, like they are presenting but not really engaged. Long term couples typically have a comfort level with each other that's hard to miss - even if the relationship isn't perfect the interactions feel real. Michelle and JimBob still seem like they are on company manners with each other, which I've always chalked up to the cameras. I figured they'd have a huddle meeting before the crew showed up and got their game faces on to look good for their ministry down to the headship babble:adoring glance time ratio, hair crispiness level, and crib notes so they can remember the kids names and approximate ages. Then once the last crew van pulled away from the TTH Michelle would go back to her normal voice, Jim Bob would grab and iPad and hide out in a bathroom catching up on ESPN for some quiet time. Then they'd both go back to half listening and eye rolling after settling up the bets of how many times they could work in made up verbs as if they are actual words and keep a straight face.

And after each episode airs I can almost see them watching it together, sans kids, and playing the fundy buzzword drinking game laughing that people buy their shtick!

I refuse to believe you could spend any time with either of them (without wanting to jump out a window) without selective listening skills honed to such a degree you could mute them in your head. And enough of this :roll: to make your eyes freeze that way.

I dunno, my marriage is pretty high functioning and my husband has to be supervised when getting gifts. Although he does try. Sometimes he gets it right and sometimes not.

I still think Michelle is the puppet master though.

The big present for the 31st is kind of weird. What did she get for the 30th?

Why are they not showcasing what their KIDS got them?

btw here is a throwback article: http://www.usmagazine.com/celebrity-new ... ry-2014297

Because a handmade crochet tablecloth is JUST what a young family needs! It is also kind of sketchy because it seems like they were living together before getting married.

I also have a good marriage but I'm jealous that yours has the ability to sometimes get it right. For one of the first times since she came on my radar I felt for Michelle. I could so see my husband doing something like that. Personal, thoughtful, expensive, and fugly. Fortunately mine has never tried to design anything because when they do that you're stuck - there is no way to tactfully suggest heading back for an exchange. If that had been me I'd have had the exact same "what the fuck am I supposed to do with this thing?" look while screaming at myself in my head to smile and pretend to like it because he tried.

This brought to mind the Dick Van Dyke episode about the hideous broach Laura gets from her MIL with a gemstone in each state where the Petrie men were born. Although I don't suggest Michelle solve it the way Laura did, there isn't a garbage disposal on the market that could stand up to that thing.

Remember when the Beaver bought June that horrific blouse and she was supposed to wear it to the PTA meeting but chickened out at the last minute thinking Beaver would never know but then he found out and was DEVASTATED???!

heehee they don't make TV like they used to.

I think Michelle will wear the ring and pretend that she she likes it. It will be a proud show of her submission.

I wonder if Michelle will wear this necklace with her new ring. :shock:

http://www.arkansasonline.com/photos/2008/may/06/15702/

http://www.arkansasonline.com/photos/2008/may/06/15750/

I haven't had my coffee yet this morning, so I'm gonna assume that's why I don't understand the heart-shaped pendant with the baby inside. Is it supposed to be an infant? Or is it supposed to be like a fetus in utero? So she can always be carrying one? I suppose their next grifting endeavor could be a line of anti-abortion jewelry or something.

Those jewelry photos are really funny though. The necklace reminds me of the charm bracelets I had in the 90s, even though the photos are from '08.

I haven't had my coffee yet this morning, so I'm gonna assume that's why I don't understand the heart-shaped pendant with the baby inside. Is it supposed to be an infant? Or is it supposed to be like a fetus in utero? So she can always be carrying one? I suppose their next grifting endeavor could be a line of anti-abortion jewelry or something.

Those jewelry photos are really funny though. The necklace reminds me of the charm bracelets I had in the 90s, even though the photos are

from '08.

OMG don't give them IDEAS!!

Wasn't it a wedding anniversary when JB took Clown Car to a restaurant that had corn bread and beans, only the kids served as wait staff? After dinner they went to a cheapy motel and Boob tried to wrangle a discount. I'm sure their bedroom at home was a million times nicer.

And then, there's the one where the kids covered their bed at home in rose petals...they did everything but lay out the sex toys.

Blown glass dildo anyone?? :ew:

ETA: I vote that "designs anti-abortion jewelry" be a post level title.

I wonder if Jim Bob has ever given Michelle a pair of these earrings? :? :shock:

midwiferytoday.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MT&Product_Code=C409RW6

Sorry. :embarrassed:

I wonder if Jim Bob has ever given Michelle a pair of these earrings? :? :shock:

midwiferytoday.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=MT&Product_Code=C409RW6

Sorry. :embarrassed:

You know, I was kinda stuck on what to buy my parents for their upcoming 30th wedding anniversary... :ew: (edit: oh wait, I was an emergency c-section baby, so I guess this doesn't work. back to the drawing board...)

As for your question, the earrings are probably too graphic for her to wear in polite society. Maybe they could put a birthstone where the baby's head is, like a sparkly censor bar?

OMG don't give them IDEAS!!

Wasn't it a wedding anniversary when JB took Clown Car to a restaurant that had corn bread and beans, only the kids served as wait staff? After dinner they went to a cheapy motel and Boob tried to wrangle a discount. I'm sure their bedroom at home was a million times nicer.

And then, there's the one where the kids covered their bed at home in rose petals...they did everything but lay out the sex toys.

Blown glass dildo anyone?? :ew:

ETA: I vote that "designs anti-abortion jewelry" be a post level title.

Ooh, and they went to the glass blowing place and Michelle made "what some would call a glass phallus?" That was a hilarious episode. Gross, what with all the flatulence humor and sex jokes, but fun to snark on.

Remember when the Beaver bought June that horrific blouse and she was supposed to wear it to the PTA meeting but chickened out at the last minute thinking Beaver would never know but then he found out and was DEVASTATED???!

heehee they don't make TV like they used to.

I think Michelle will wear the ring and pretend that she she likes it. It will be a proud show of her submission.

Or when Darrin bought Samantha that hideous gray robe on "Bewitched". She was really trying to be nice.

Or when Darrin bought Samantha that hideous gray robe on "Bewitched". She was really trying to be nice.

Or when Doug's mom suggested Carrie buy the uber-floral two-piece jacket and skirt set for her dinner party and she tried to sneak out wearing something else on King of Queens?

Or when Doug's mom suggested Carrie buy the uber-floral two-piece jacket and skirt set for her dinner party and she tried to sneak out wearing something else on King of Queens?

I love King of Queens! But nobody I know IRL is a fan :cry:

I never understood the TV shows where the women were too afraid to tell their headships they disliked a gift... definitely not the family I was raised in!

Archived