IGNORED

Josiah Duggar - Part 3 Now with lost heart pieces

happy atheist

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Speaking of cabbage patch dolls. That was one of the things that made me suspect that my fundie-lite in-laws had been influenced by Gothardism. My husband DOES NOT talk about his very repressive upbringing so I've only gotten bits and pieces of info over time. A few years back he mentioned that growing up, his parents had refused to get his little sisters cabbage patch dolls because...well...you know...those dolls would lead children to satan worship (said with a huge eye roll). Right away that pinged my Gothard radar. I casually asked but my husband didn't recognize the name and he had no interest in hearing about a fundie cult leader. Absolutely not a subject I can discuss with him. He gets too worked up with resentment about the way he was raised.

I normally avoid any discussion of religion with my mother-in-law but for years I've wanted to ask her if they ever had any past connection with IBLP. It was actually the Josh molestation scandal that gave me a way to bring up the Gothard question with my MIL. She doesn't watch much TV but when I asked if she knew of the Duggar family she said she had heard of "that family with 19 children." She knows I'm a survivor of childhood sexual abuse so I knew it wouldn't seem odd for me to bring up a news story about the subject. I told her about the Joshgate details and how the family is "affiliated with an organization" run by a man who was forced to step down after many allegations of sexual misconduct. Then I said his name was Bill Gothard...and waited for her reaction. I got one! Her eyes got big and she told me about how she and FIL had gone to several of his seminars back in the 80's. (like during the height of his popularity when he could pack stadiums). I had to contain my urge to shout "I knew it!!!"

It was an eye opening conversation and one of the most frank discussions about the subject of religious beliefs I've ever had with her. I could write a ton about what she said but this is already too long. It was fascinating though. Apparently the (Evangelical) church they belonged to 30ish years ago had a huge rift because of the Gothard "fad." A bunch of members went full-on fundie and split off from the church. My MIL even used the word "Gothardites" to describe them. She said she and FIL followed some of the teachings for awhile but eventually decided the guy was full of crap (paraphrasing.) She remembered sitting through one of the seminars and listening to Bill give marriage advice. She had at least 15 years of marriage and five kids under her belt at this point. She thought he sounded ridiculous and was like "Why in the world does this bachelor with no kids think he is an authority on this?" It was a great conversation.

There was also these books going aorund: http://www.amazon.com/Turmoil-Toy-Box-Phil-Phillips/dp/0914984047/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1446222109&sr=1-1&keywords=turmoil+in+the+toybox that warned against Cabbage Patch Dolls and a host of other innocent toys.

toy.jpg

Josiah at the "Loving Choices" Christian pregnancy banquet last night (per Deanna Duggar's instagram).

Was he cruisin' chicks wombs?

The DuggarKings look like they're really paying close attention to what's happening at this banquet, what with being on their mobiles and everything..

Amy was an example of Deanna's loving choice at this banquet.

Are you serious or was that a joke? These people are so awful, I can't even tell. :pb_lol:

@morri: Anna was there (as seen on Amy's Instagram), so I'm guessing there were more Duggars in attendance.

Are you serious or was that a joke? These people are so awful, I can't even tell. :pb_lol:

@morri: Anna was there (as seen on Amy's Instagram), so I'm guessing there were more Duggars in attendance.

I can't tell if that's serious or a joke, either. I suspect Loving Choices is all about pressuring women with unplanned pregnancies not to have abortions. http://www.lovingchoices.org/ 

It looks like it's a fan account, hopefully run by a 12-year-old girl or else it's super creepy.

It looks like it's a fan account, hopefully run by a 12-year-old girl or else it's super creepy.

I've seen some grown adults who are totally obsessed with the young Duggars, especially ones like Jackson and Hannie. It's really creepy and unsettling.

So Josiah's courtship didn't work out, and that's different from dating, how? :confusion-confused:

They didn't kiss.

They didn't kiss, hold hands, or spend time together without a chaperone.

"Loving Choices" had a crisis pregnancy center right by my high school. A lot of the students assumed it was an abortion clinic.

With a name like "Loving Choices"?  That was optimistic of them.

I don't think I had seen Sierra's husband before.  He's got an odd look.  Plus why did he an Ben go as twinsies?  Are Sierra and Mark and Ben and Jessa becoming BFFs.

I don't think I had seen Sierra's husband before.  He's got an odd look.  Plus why did he an Ben go as twinsies?  Are Sierra and Mark and Ben and Jessa becoming BFFs.

Well, according to Sierra: "Last night at the #lovingchoicesbanquet I ask @jessaseewald if she picked out Ben's outfit. (Yep.) She asked if I picked out Mark's. (Yep.) Makin' these men look good!" (https://instagram.com/p/9fNI7toiG7/?taken-by=sierrajodominguez) They do seem to hang out/go on double dates a lot!

PS: Tuck that shirt in, Mark. Ugh!

Well, according to Sierra: "Last night at the #lovingchoicesbanquet I ask @jessaseewald if she picked out Ben's outfit. (Yep.) She asked if I picked out Mark's. (Yep.) Makin' these men look good!" (https://instagram.com/p/9fNI7toiG7/?taken-by=sierrajodominguez) They do seem to hang out/go on double dates a lot!

PS: Tuck that shirt in, Mark. Ugh!

So weird

There was also these books going aorund: http://www.amazon.com/Turmoil-Toy-Box-Phil-Phillips/dp/0914984047/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1446222109&sr=1-1&keywords=turmoil+in+the+toybox that warned against Cabbage Patch Dolls and a host of other innocent toys.

toy.jpg

What kind of horrible parent says to themselves, "our last name is Phillips...I know, I'll name our child Philip!"

What kind of horrible parent says to themselves, "our last name is Phillips...I know, I'll name our child Philip!"

I have always wondered... A lot of them, apparently.  Besides this guy there are at least two others that I know personally.  I also know a William Williams.

I have always wondered... A lot of them, apparently.  Besides this guy there are at least two others that I know personally.  I also know a William Williams.

Just saw someone in a FB group post whose name is Chris Christopher.  I thought of this immediately. 

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived