IGNORED

Josiah Duggar - Part 3 Now with lost heart pieces

happy atheist

On the topic of funky last name patterns: In Turkish culture it was not traditional to have a last name. When Ataturk took over and turned the Ottoman Empire into Turkey, he made all Turkish citizens take last names in order to westernize and make record keeping easier. 

So you had to come up with a name and also have it recorded with the government official who would visit your house. Well, a lot of it was the luck of the draw for when the government official came to your village/town, and also whether you were a procrastinator or not in coming up with a name (and if the official was so tired he just gave you one of his choosing). So today some people have last names like "Proud Eagle of the Plains," and some have last names like "Spotted Cow" because they had a spotted cow in the front yard.

I have known Turkish people whose last names translate to "Womanizer," "Three Brothers," and "Green Door" (because the family home had a distinctive green door at the time of the official's visit). My friend swore she met someone with the last name "Stinky Dog."

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, everyone had to make up their last name at some point, if the didn't happen to get one from other people, like the popular -son names.

Very common but funny last names from around here: "Good", "Bad", "Foot", "Curly", "Mean", "Left(y)", "Pious" (all derived from characteristics of the named person).

Not as good as @nausicaa25's ones!!!

There's a legend that some Dutch people weren't too happy about having to come up with last names and choose ridiculous ones as a form of protest. Most famous example of this: "Naaktgeboren" ("born naked"). The truth seems to be though that the name comes from a different source and originally had a different meaning ("born afterwards“ i.e. after the father's death).

Not all double names are given at birth. I knew a guy known as "Mitch" Mitchell. He had a totally different given name he didn't use much. I never knew if he just didn't like his first name, or if his buddies called him by his last name and then shortened it. I see names like that in the obituaries in the paper sometimes, too. David "Jack" Jackson and so on. 

Good point.  And women may marry into a double name.  I knew a Fay Faye once (Fay was her given name; her husband was John Faye) and a friend avoided becoming Leah Lee (pronounced Lee ah Lee) by not taking her husband's last name when they married.  

Good point.  And women may marry into a double name.  I knew a Fay Faye once (Fay was her given name; her husband was John Faye) and a friend avoided becoming Leah Lee (pronounced Lee ah Lee) by not taking her husband's last name when they married.  

My friends grandma became "Dorris Morris" in the 1920s, when it certainly wasn't socially acceptable not to take your husbands name!

I have a similar issue with my current long term boyfriend... if we get married my double barrelled name will be ridiculously happy. Think "Sunny smiles" or something like that. No way i'm being a lawyer called Mrs Sunny Smiles... it'd be bad for business!! :dance:

CiMy friends grandma became "Dorris Mor" in the 1920s, when it certainly wasn't socially acceptable not to take your husbands name!

I have a similar issue with my current long term boyfriend... if we get married my double barrelled name will be ridiculously happy. Think "Sunny smiles" or something like that. No way i'm being a lawyer called Mrs Sunny Smiles... it'd be bad for business!! :dance:

Oh, I don't know. Sunny Smiles might elicit a great deal of confidence. With a name like that, she must be exceptional.:my_biggrin:

On the topic of funky last name patterns: In Turkish culture it was not traditional to have a last name. When Ataturk took over and turned the Ottoman Empire into Turkey, he made all Turkish citizens take last names in order to westernize and make record keeping easier. 

So you had to come up with a name and also have it recorded with the government official who would visit your house. Well, a lot of it was the luck of the draw for when the government official came to your village/town, and also whether you were a procrastinator or not in coming up with a name (and if the official was so tired he just gave you one of his choosing). So today some people have last names like "Proud Eagle of the Plains," and some have last names like "Spotted Cow" because they had a spotted cow in the front yard.

I have known Turkish people whose last names translate to "Womanizer," "Three Brothers," and "Green Door" (because the family home had a distinctive green door at the time of the official's visit). My friend swore she met someone with the last name "Stinky Dog."

and some have great glue on their porch. hence superglue ;)

(superbikes rider sufuklu) ;)

I don't ever want to marry, it if for some reason I did, I am not giving up my last name. I'm damn proud of my name, it came all the way from the Ukraine, and there is no way in hell I'm even so much as hyphenating it. It's my name.

I have a relative whose father died when she was small and eventually her mom remarried and her middle name and new last name are practically the same. I think she might hyphenate her dad's name and her step-dad's name.

My favorite experience of a hyphenated last name is a teacher at our nearby school. His name is Firstname Hername-Hisname, but that's too long for his students (or the bureaucracy?), so he's called Mr. Hername. As far as I can tell, he's totally cool with it. I know plenty of women who have kept their surnames, but he's the only guy I've personally known who uses his wife's  surname. (Even if only at work.)

I have a cousin named David Davis, I agree - weird to do that too your kiddo.

That's my uncle's name! 

My favorite experience of a hyphenated last name is a teacher at our nearby school. His name is Firstname Hername-Hisname, but that's too long for his students (or the bureaucracy?), so he's called Mr. Hername. As far as I can tell, he's totally cool with it. I know plenty of women who have kept their surnames, but he's the only guy I've personally known who uses his wife's  surname. (Even if only at work.)

German politician is called https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sabine_Leutheusser-Schnarrenberger now try fitting this on any "undersign" lines xD

My nephew and his wife are Patrick an Patricia, same middle name (given at birth), same last name. In addition, My neice's father's name is the same name as my niece and nephew's last name.

Weird... I guess they were meant for each other.

I know a woman who got married and kept her surname. They decide to give their kids her surname, too. When their first son was born they gave him the husband's surname as his first name. 

My nephew and his wife are Patrick an Patricia, same middle name (given at birth), same last name. In addition, My neice's father's name is the same name as my niece and nephew's last name.

Weird... I guess they were meant for each other.

my dentists practice were a couple called ulrich and ulrike pohl.

I don't ever want to marry, it if for some reason I did, I am not giving up my last name. I'm damn proud of my name, it came all the way from the Ukraine, and there is no way in hell I'm even so much as hyphenating it. It's my name.

This is the 21st Century. Why on earth would you want to change your name just because you got married?

I married first in 1983.  My then husband kept his name; I kept mine.  We did not hyphenate the kids' names.  My daughter's best friend's parents did the same thing.  Lots of people like myself now in their sixties and even older did not have the wife change her name. Why is this even an issue any more?

I remarried a couple of years ago and only yesterday I ran into a former colleague who had heard of my remarriage.  I am still in shock that she actually asked me what my name was now. If I didn't change it in 1983, why would I change it in 2013?

There is no reason to assume that married women will/should take on their husband's last name.  We are no longer one person in the eyes of the law.  We can vote, hold jobs, wear pants.  ;)  I have no problem with those who choose to change their names but the default ought to be "not change" rather than "change."

When I changed to my husband's surname in 1999, I don't remember giving it much thought. I didn't have a career established under my maiden name, his was easier to spell, etc. I don't even blink when a woman chooses to keep her surname, but I had no reasons to, and having the same last name can be very convenient sonetimes.

I guess I also never felt that attached to my last name, maybe? I associated it with the alcoholism and abuse that comes down that side of my family. A new name was nice. My mom is very proud of her maiden name and uses it as a middle name. My sister and I never seriously considered that. Marriage is a useful time to get rid of a name you don't like without having to file court paper or have anyone asking "why". 

I always figured I'd change my last name to my husband's if it's better than the one I have now. If it's worse, I'm keeping mine.

I really liked changing my last name to my husband's name. I like being The Barker* Family. I just get annoyed when people think that because someone changes their last name, it must mean they are subservient or something. It's sort of like how if someone actually enjoys the stereotypical gender roll things, they must be an idiot or old fashioned or whatever. Did it ever occur to them that maybe someone LIKES being stay at home mom? It frustrates me.

To me, true feminism is being able to do what you want to do with your life. That doesn't mean you HAVE to work. It doesn't mean you HAVE to keep your last name. Etc. Etc.

(I'm not talking about people here in this thread. Just people I've encountered in "the real world.")

*Not my real last name.

I was married in April and took my husband's last name. I think people take your more seriously when you have the same last name. Whether that is right or wrong (or just a perception of mine and not reality - likely the case!), it's just how I feel. Also I look young for my age and feel like being Mrs. J helps me appear more mature and settled. We don't have children (getting my tubes tied soon!) so that won't cause a problem.

He also doesn't wear a wedding ring as he's a butcher and it's dangerous to wear and inconvenient to constantly remove. I have a simple emerald on a gold band that's very plain but very "me".

Not all double names are given at birth. I knew a guy known as "Mitch" Mitchell. He had a totally different given name he didn't use much. I never knew if he just didn't like his first name, or if his buddies called him by his last name and then shortened it. I see names like that in the obituaries in the paper sometimes, too. David "Jack" Jackson and so on. 

that is the case for "Kip" Kiplinger. His first name is Austin,  but everyone calls him Kip.  There is even a Kip mutual fund. 

My former FIL did that when he remarried. After divorcing my ex-MIL, he said didn't want two Mrs. Hisnames in their city so he tried to have my MIL change hers back.  My mother-in-law had no intention of going back to her maiden name after over 20 years of marriage though, so ultimately FIL legally changed his to Mr. Newwifename-Hisname.

I really liked changing my last name to my husband's name. I like being The Barker* Family. I just get annoyed when people think that because someone changes their last name, it must mean they are subservient or something. It's sort of like how if someone actually enjoys the stereotypical gender roll things, they must be an idiot or old fashioned or whatever. Did it ever occur to them that maybe someone LIKES being stay at home mom? It frustrates me.

To me, true feminism is being able to do what you want to do with your life. That doesn't mean you HAVE to work. It doesn't mean you HAVE to keep your last name. Etc. Etc.

(I'm not talking about people here in this thread. Just people I've encountered in "the real world.")

*Not my real last name.

Gender ROLL? Oops! I shouldn't go back and re-read things once I can no longer edit.

tumblr_m6rns7AWKo1qe82j9o1_1280.png

I took my husband's name. I had my father's name before that. So, I figured I would prefer to have the same name as my kids. No biggie. 

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived