IGNORED

Josiah Duggar - Part 3 Now with lost heart pieces

happy atheist

I never had to do that. I worked in the infants room at a daycare, that worked.

Neither did I. However, at that age I was watching children in the church nursery (and getting paid!).

• Replies 800
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't even tell if that is Josiah in that pic. Here it is from the back and I think it is another Duggar?

facebook.com/duggarfamilyofficial/photos/pcb.720106978122954/720105648123087/?type=3&permPage=1

I think that guy looks broader than Josiah. It's hard to tell if that's even Marjorie. If it is then maybe it's her father sitting next to her.

Someone replied to me. Said they were there and that it's her father sitting next to her.

Wouldn't an egg get really smelly and gross?

Karma - haha is it cruel I'm laughing about your kids tamagotchi dying? I'm the right age to have had one as a kid, I just never did. I had a neopet though. I think I have mine to a friend? That or it's dead. Whoops.

Feel free, laugh away, harrypotterfan. I was so glad when that fad ended. I was looking back through old photos the other day, and there they are, hanging around my kids necks in every photo for months. Now they have a mobile phone permanently attached to their hands which seem to need as much attention as the tamagotchi :angry-banghead:

Looking through the high school newsletter the other day, and the Child Studies course had photos of the eggs they'd looked after for the weekend. I've never heard of any schools here with robot babies, but I think they'd be a more effective deterrent to teenage pregnancy than eggs.

And an egg out of the fridge for a week shouldn't get smelly....unless it's cracked and spread on the bottom a school bag which is left in the sun. I'm sure that's happened more than once :)

Feel free, laugh away, harrypotterfan. I was so glad when that fad ended. I was looking back through old photos the other day, and there they are, hanging around my kids necks in every photo for months. Now they have a mobile phone permanently attached to their hands which seem to need as much attention as the tamagotchi :angry-banghead:

Looking through the high school newsletter the other day, and the Child Studies course had photos of the eggs they'd looked after for the weekend. I've never heard of any schools here with robot babies, but I think they'd be a more effective deterrent to teenage pregnancy than eggs.

And an egg out of the fridge for a week shouldn't get smelly....unless it's cracked and spread on the bottom a school bag which is left in the sun. I'm sure that's happened more than once :)

My middle school did eggs. I tried to be an overachiever and have quads. Unfortunately two crashed togethet and cracked. In high school I did an egg one year and flour bag another. I wished we had robot babies but our school didn't have enough teen pregnancies to justify the cost.

I never had a tamagotchi when I was a kid because my frugal fundie parents were a) too cheap to buy me one (the ostensible reason) and b) convinced that everything Asian, including Japanese robot toys, fell into the category of New Age (probably the real reason). My mother threw an enormous full-on hissy fit last summer when my job took me to China for six weeks; the last time I'd seen her that upset was when I got married and didn't change my name.

I do have a tamagotchi-like virtual-pet app on my tablet, but once I mastered all the little games it got boring pretty fast. I think the moment has passed me by.

I never had a tamagotchi either. I'm assuming that if it died, you basically started over right? If not, what a waste of plastic.

At one point I was raising 5 Tamagotchi's and similar creatures at once. I was so obsessed with them that I took them everywhere. Eventually they were banned at my school. I was so distraught that my creatures would die that my mom offered to take them to work with her. The kicker? She was a teacher's assistant at the same school I attended! The ban only applied to students, so she was able to check on them during the day and keep them from dying. Absolutely hysterical.

My parents absolutely were too frugal (They aren't cheap. They buy quality) to buy me a virtual pet. I only asked the once, then I outgrew them. We never did the baby stuff. I took home ec in junior high, but it was just sewing and cooking. The girls that got pregnant or wanted to persue childhood development in high school could work in the school daycare at the school for baby experience.

When I was kindergarten-aged, my dad went on a business trip to Japan and came back with a tamagachi-like toy that was a Pikachu. The second day I had it, I dropped it, and that damn Pikachu animation literally turned its back on me and never turned around. I was heartbroken lol.

When I was kindergarten-aged, my dad went on a business trip to Japan and came back with a tamagachi-like toy that was a Pikachu. The second day I had it, I dropped it, and that damn Pikachu animation literally turned its back on me and never turned around. I was heartbroken lol.

To be fair Pikachu has a reputation for being an asshole. So it's not you, it's him :lol:

At one point I was raising 5 Tamagotchi's and similar creatures at once. I was so obsessed with them that I took them everywhere. Eventually they were banned at my school. I was so distraught that my creatures would die that my mom offered to take them to work with her. The kicker? She was a teacher's assistant at the same school I attended! The ban only applied to students, so she was able to check on them during the day and keep them from dying. Absolutely hysterical.

My school banned those too! I had a Tamagotchi and 3-4 giga pets. I even had one that talked and woke me up in the middle of the night once asking for cough syrup. My dad kept telling me that's what actual children were like. :lol:

My school banned those too! I had a Tamagotchi and 3-4 giga pets. I even had one that talked and woke me up in the middle of the night once asking for cough syrup. My dad kept telling me that's what actual children were like. :lol:

One time my Furby woke up in the middle of the night and wouldn't shut up. Those things are the devil. My brothers and I each had one and one of their friends was terrified of them and hit my brother's Furby within a hockey stick. I will forever remember what a dying Furby sounds like: "EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!" We had to take the batteries out.

My kids had these stupid things(we were stupid and bought them), and I had to take them to work to keep 'em alive. Needless to say, it did not go well.

My kids had these stupid things(we were stupid and bought them), and I had to take them to work to keep 'em alive. Needless to say, it did not go well.

Tomogatchis would be a good replacement for eggs/sugar/robot babies. They seem to require as much attention as real babies. Pawning them off onto parents though...a lot of girls on 16 and Pregnant did that with their babies. A lot of the girls either completely relied on the mom for child care or their parents helped with childcare when they were at school. Huh. Interesting. Maybe there should be daycare a for tomogachis.

One time my Furby woke up in the middle of the night and wouldn't shut up. Those things are the devil. My brothers and I each had one and one of their friends was terrified of them and hit my brother's Furby within a hockey stick. I will forever remember what a dying Furby sounds like: "EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!" We had to take the batteries out.

My son had a Furby. It was cute in an eerie sort of way. After the novelty had worn out, my son (who knew it was a machine and has yet to meet a machine he doesn't take apart) proceeded to de-fur the Furby. A flayed Furby is eerie without being cute. We had the flayed Furby wandering around for a while until my son took it apart some more. (Let me hasten to add that all this taking apart of things has made my son very good at fixing things also. And that he has never hurt an animal or a person--just mechanisms he wants to understand.)

We had Tamagotchis in the summer, I am glad to say, so I wasn't asked to care for them. I think the kids babysat each other's and there were incidents of leaving the Tamagotchi at home and having to drive back to get it before it died. (Eventually they died, I suppose.). But nothing concerning the Tamagotchis was memorable as the flayed Furby.

My son had a Furby. It was cute in an eerie sort of way. After the novelty had worn out, my son (who knew it was a machine and has yet to meet a machine he doesn't take apart) proceeded to de-fur the Furby. A flayed Furby is eerie without being cute. We had the flayed Furby wandering around for a while until my son took it apart some more. (Let me hasten to add that all this taking apart of things has made my son very good at fixing things also. And that he has never hurt an animal or a person--just mechanisms he wants to understand.)

We had Tamagotchis in the summer, I am glad to say, so I wasn't asked to care for them. I think the kids babysat each other's and there were incidents of leaving the Tamagotchi at home and having to drive back to get it before it died. (Eventually they died, I suppose.). But nothing concerning the Tamagotchis was memorable as the flayed Furby.

I remember Christmas 1999 my big sister got a furby. She was so excited because that was the thing everyone had. She was very attached to it, but by lunchtime boxing day, my parents relegated it to her room. Eventually she got tired of it, and I later inherited it. I don't remember what eventually happened to it, but it was, as you say, eerily cute.

We also both had the neopets. If I remember my password, they're probably sick and hungry af right now...

We never had anyhing like that, I only know robot babies from Neds declassified :lol:

We had classes where we were acquainted with condoms and other contraception(put a condom over your fingers). As practice.

and in other sex ed class we had a side cut model of a womans abdomen were you could push a tampon in to see how it looks like .

I never had a tamagotchi either. I'm assuming that if it died, you basically started over right? If not, what a waste of plastic.

Yes, definitely, they could be reset if they died. It was a bit of a status symbol though, to have the oldest tamagotchi amongst your friends at school. My daughter was very upset if hers died. She wasn't alone, I remember sitting by the pool one day when she was in swimming lessons and looking along the bench at numerous other mothers tending to their kids tamagotchis.

Furbys...my kids are too old for them, but I was staying in my young nieces room one night recently when visiting, and it turned on during the night. Scared the living day lights out of me. Next time I visit I'm kicking it out of the room before I go to bed.

My friends and I all had Tamagotchis as kids. I'm pretty sure they and 16 & Pregnant/Teen Mom are why the teen pregnancy rate dropped so much for my age group. Though Tamagotchis didn't cause as much an issue in my elementary school as Pokemon cards. There were brawls on the playground over the damn things. I cried at school because I made a bad trade and got a really non-valuable card in exchange for a really good one. You'd think it was October of '29 from how I was carrying on. My school eventually banned them, but Magic: The Gathering wasn't covered under that ban...

My nephew was obsessed with Pokemon cards! Also, before that, there was something else I think called "pogs". He had to have them with him at all times.

Were Tamagotchi's more wide spread than Giga Pets? I had more Giga's and only one Tamagotchi. Most people I knew had Giga's.

Also it was terrible when they died, lol

I haven't heard of Giga Pets, but tamagotchis were huge in Sydney in about 2005-6, or sometime around then. Maybe Giga Pets were later? Or more popular in the US?

Edited to add I've just looked on wiki: Giga Pets were created and released to compete with Tamagotchis, egg-shaped virtual pets that were introduced in Japan in 1996 by Bandai and are widely credited with initiating the virtual pet craze in the U.S., the UK, and other countries.[4] In the U.S., Giga Pets were reported to be more readily available than Tamagotchis and at price of approximately $10 USD, roughly $5 less than the suggest retail price for their Japanese counterpart.

My kids must have been part of a second wave of tamagotchi mania.

Well thanks, for that image, now I'm going to have nightmares with a flayed demonic Furby wandering around on it's own.

Which reminds me, in college for this art program I was in I made a horror/comedy movie trailer where '90's toys came to life and killed people. One person got strangled by a slap braclet and I believe a Furby stabbed someone. I managed to make Furby's eyes glow red in editing and added an evil laugh. I was very proud.

ok now I sound sort of insane...

I haven't heard of Giga Pets, but tamagotchis were huge in Sydney in about 2005-6, or sometime around then. Maybe Giga Pets were later? Or more popular in the US?

Edited to add I've just looked on wiki: Giga Pets were created and released to compete with Tamagotchis, egg-shaped virtual pets that were introduced in Japan in 1996 by Bandai and are widely credited with initiating the virtual pet craze in the U.S., the UK, and other countries.[4] In the U.S., Giga Pets were reported to be more readily available than Tamagotchis and at price of approximately $10 USD, roughly $5 less than the suggest retail price for their Japanese counterpart.

My kids must have been part of a second wave of tamagotchi mania.

Did your kids do Neopets at all? Because after Tamagotchis and Giga Pets fell out of vogue, everyone (at least in my age group in the northeastern US) got really into Neopets. The peak of the Neopets craze was somewhere between 2003-5 in the US (so for me, 12-14 years old), so maybe it hit a little later in Australia?

• happy atheist locked this topic

Archived