IGNORED

Nathan and Ashley Salyer - Courtship

jinseng

On April 1, 2016 at 10:27 AM, HereticHick said:

I hope it is in the Bronx with lots of Dominican food at the reception.  But I get the feeling it will be in TN to better accomodate the 100s of fundy friends and leg humpers that want to attend.  Unless UP wants to help pay for it in the Bronx. I just don't think they have a huge budget at the UP channel.

A lot of New Yorkers are going to be pissed off if they travel all the way to Tennessee for a wedding and get handed a couple of cookies. 

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 4/15/2016 at 7:06 PM, VelociRapture said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you aren't originally from Connecticut? Maybe from Northern New England? I saw you left us off the New England list and it seems people from Northern New England tend to do that due to our proximity to New York.

And for the record, no one really agrees on what to call us. :pb_lol:

@VelociRapture I do live in northern New England - I know Connecticut is part of New England (I have friends who live there), they are just not part of the broadcast area that I watch, and so I don't know what they call those residents. :my_blush:   I may live in northern New England, but I will never be a local - if you weren't born here it's pretty hard to be a local.  Usually we just go through Connecticut to get to my in-laws in Virginia (or NYC), but my husband and I did go to the Quiet Corner once for our anniversary and it was very nice!

On ‎4‎/‎15‎/‎2016 at 7:06 PM, VelociRapture said:

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you aren't originally from Connecticut? Maybe from Northern New England? I saw you left us off the New England list and it seems people from Northern New England tend to do that due to our proximity to New York.

And for the record, no one really agrees on what to call us. :pb_lol:

We've been referred to as "Nutmeggers"

8 hours ago, Granwych said:

I know. No one agrees on any one name though is what I was saying.

11 hours ago, Granwych said:

I've also heard Connecticuters but it would feel strange to refer to myself as one.  Overseas I say American and people know what I mean. 

I usually say I am from the United States when I am in another country. Last summer we went to Canada and people there would ask us "Are you an American?" though after they saw our credit card (no chip and pin).

Big Sandy Family Camp starts tomorrow! Brace yourself for some torrid hugging beneath the East Texas pines!

On 4/15/2016 at 2:12 PM, Snarkle said:

I'm from the Midwest, and Wisconsinites often called Illinoisians "Flatlanders" or "FIBs"  (use your imagination for curses on the second one), whereas Illinois people called Wisconsin people Cheeseheads.  Not sure how often that occurs now (I moved out east in 2000), but the Chicagoans in particular got the FIB moniker due to their driving skills across the border.

Weighing in the Illinois aka "flatlander" and Wisconsin "cheesehead" thing.  Born and raised in Chicago but had relatives in southern Wisconsin so became well acquainted with being callled a "flatlander" by my cousin's friends though I did not call them "cheeseheads" in return.   This was back in my high school days, now I hear "FIB" more often by Wisconsinites referring to Chicagoans but anyone with IL plates driving fast in WI runs risk of being called one.

I live in close vicinity of the IL / WI border which has been called the "Cheddar Curtain" by Illinois people.   My BIL is particularly bad with this, Mr. No and I got teased incessantly when we moved to our current home.  Incidentally I like it here.   There's a lot of Bears and Packers fans, one of the things I learned after moving to this border county was which bars were Bears and which ones were Packers.   Going down my street you see both Bears and Packers flags during football season.

6 hours ago, nokidsmom said:

Weighing in the Illinois aka "flatlander" and Wisconsin "cheesehead" thing.  Born and raised in Chicago but had relatives in southern Wisconsin so became well acquainted with being callled a "flatlander" by my cousin's friends though I did not call them "cheeseheads" in return.   This was back in my high school days, now I hear "FIB" more often by Wisconsinites referring to Chicagoans but anyone with IL plates driving fast in WI runs risk of being called one.

I live in close vicinity of the IL / WI border which has been called the "Cheddar Curtain" by Illinois people.   My BIL is particularly bad with this, Mr. No and I got teased incessantly when we moved to our current home.  Incidentally I like it here.   There's a lot of Bears and Packers fans, one of the things I learned after moving to this border county was which bars were Bears and which ones were Packers.   Going down my street you see both Bears and Packers flags during football season.

I grew up in northern Lake County as a kid, but we were in southern Wisconsin a lot because my dad's family is from the Milwaukee area.  My whole family are rabid Packer fans (my dad's aunt and uncle had season tickets back since the late '50s) and we went to Brewers games more than Cubs games.  Of course now with the spread of suburbia I can see the "Cheddar Curtain" moniker catching on.  When we moved out near Schaumburg in the early '90s we were considered far from the city.  By the time we moved east in 2000 it was close in!

On 4/16/2016 at 7:49 AM, patsymae said:

A lot of New Yorkers are going to be pissed off if they travel all the way to Tennessee for a wedding and get handed a couple of cookies. 

Especially Hispanics.

We Latinos don't mess around with crappy parties. 

Ashley and siblings/girlfriends stayed with their friend Kelly Diaz in Arlington (Dallas suburb) Monday night, according to comments on this, and are headed to see crazy-eyes Sierra today. ATI Big Sandy family camp begins today, so I don't know if that means Sierra, the ultimate Duggar leghumper, has started attending Big Sandy events, or if they are headed to Arkansas.

6 hours ago, LawsonBatesEgo said:

Especially Hispanics.

We Latinos don't mess around with crappy parties. 

Maybe Ashley should go for a long courtship so she can attend a few cake and punch weddings with Nathan and get an idea of what goes for weddings in her future in law family.   :huh:

43 minutes ago, nokidsmom said:

Maybe Ashley should go for a long courtship so she can attend a few cake and punch weddings with Nathan and get an idea of what goes for weddings in her future in law family.   :huh:

In all fairness she did attend Michael and Brandon's wedding, so I would hope she gets an idea of how his family does weddings.

At least the Bateses do serve some food with a little substance at their weddings.  

JBoob only springs for root beer floats, ice cream sundaes, lemonade and pickles.  Or whatever the church ladies will make for free. 

My parents had a potluck wedding. Of course, they also got married at a tree farm with a nondenominational ceremony and only about 20 people max in attendance. I believe the reception was held in the potting shed. It's a bit different when you have enough guests to fill a huge church. 

I have been married a long time and we had coffee, punch, mints, nuts, wedding cake and groom's cake. We were not cheap, that's just how it was done back then. Not sure when they starting putting on the feedbag. The food is usually not good and cold. I would far rather go out to eat with good company that subject myself to an inadequate meal. No one that knows these people should be surprised at what they serve.

Has anyone noticed more food is served at rehearsal dinners than the reception? Also why so many people at the rehearsal dinner. It's usually just the wedding party, immediate family, and the preacher. Even in a family of 19, that doesn't account for all the people we see at fundie rehearsal dinners.

17 hours ago, HereticHick said:

Ashley and siblings/girlfriends stayed with their friend Kelly Diaz in Arlington (Dallas suburb) Monday night, according to comments on this, and are headed to see crazy-eyes Sierra today. ATI Big Sandy family camp begins today, so I don't know if that means Sierra, the ultimate Duggar leghumper, has started attending Big Sandy events, or if they are headed to Arkansas.

Uh oh, does this mean Sierra is going to do Ashley and Nathan's wedding?

5 hours ago, RosyDaisy said:

Has anyone noticed more food is served at rehearsal dinners than the reception? Also why so many people at the rehearsal dinner. It's usually just the wedding party, immediate family, and the preacher. Even in a family of 19, that doesn't account for all the people we see at fundie rehearsal dinners.

I think it's also customary to invite out of town guests and they always have a ton of those. 

5 hours ago, Dandruff said:

Uh oh, does this mean Sierra is going to do Ashley and Nathan's wedding?

Please no.  Keep her away from the Bates weddings.  I'm glad she didn't touch Brandon and Michael's.  

On the topic of food at weddings, I'm finding it to be a Baptist thing to not serve your guests (not always just fundie) and please no one take offence! This is from what I've seen. I've been to almost every branch of religious weddings and I was a bridesmaid in a Baptist one and at the rehearsal dinner, there was tea and a pork sandwich, that's it. The actual wedding reception was punch and cake nothing else. My family who was invited to the wedding I was in was very insulted and shocked at the fact that someone would invite so many people and not serve any food! I still don't understand it. You don't always have to drink, but receptions are supposed to be fun and a way of thanking your guests and the people who bought you gifts and spent time helping the wedding should be thanked with at least a meal. Again, this is my personal experience so don't attack me for pointing out what religion I always see this in. 

I use American to identify myself. Other North and South Anquan nations already have an adjective for themselves which we don't, in English.  I could responsd to  someone askibg where I'm from l reply with "I'm South Dakotan." nobody would have a clue. Everyone known that when I say plainly just American, I'm from the US. 

34 minutes ago, Coconutwater said:

On the topic of food at weddings, I'm finding it to be a Baptist thing to not serve your guests (not always just fundie) and please no one take offence! This is from what I've seen. I've been to almost every branch of religious weddings and I was a bridesmaid in a Baptist one and at the rehearsal dinner, there was tea and a pork sandwich, that's it. The actual wedding reception was punch and cake nothing else. My family who was invited to the wedding I was in was very insulted and shocked at the fact that someone would invite so many people and not serve any food! I still don't understand it. You don't always have to drink, but receptions are supposed to be fun and a way of thanking your guests and the people who bought you gifts and spent time helping the wedding should be thanked with at least a meal. Again, this is my personal experience so don't attack me for pointing out what religion I always see this in. 

I think it has to do with cultural norms in whatever circle the couple is a part of.  Also has to do with geography, etc.  

However, from reading an etiquette site, I learned that if you are not going to serve a meal, then you need to time the wedding so it does not interfere with mealtime.  So having a wedding from 2-5 would be fine to just serve cake and punch, but a wedding that starts at 5 needs a meal.

(If I ever get married, I'm saying fuck it all and ordering pizzas instead of the 3 figure/plate gourmet meal that often isn't that good).  

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived