IGNORED

Nathan and Ashley Salyer - Courtship

jinseng

On 3/31/2016 at 9:58 AM, IzzyM said:

Per instagram, Nathan had been in NYC both in october and december. I believe that the tumblr said that in october it wasn't official yet. So maybe in october they became special friends, as the Bateses call it, and in december they started the official courtship?

It says it was not "official" in October - easy answer, it hadn't been filmed yet. If the cameras didn't catch it, nothing really happened. The whole December thing was just staged bullcrap. Once they filmed it it was considered official.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think we will know more about the status of their courtship next week, when the fundy world (including Ashley--she said on her Instagram that she is going) gathers at Big Sandy Family Camp.  Also, we may finally get info about whether or not Brandon N Michaella (as well as assorted Staddons) are going to move to Big Sandy.

Anyhoo--

since Lawson "Blue Steel" Bates, Ben "Binilla Ice" Sewald, and Alyssa "Hot Pink" Bates Webster are all modeling tshirts for 3Thirty Christian Apparel now:

https://www.instagram.com/3thirtyapparel/

i demand a Zoolander-style model walk- off in the next bates season.

20 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

since Lawson "Blue Steel" Bates, Ben "Binilla Ice" Sewald, and Alyssa "Hot Pink" Bates Webster are all modeling tshirts for 3Thirty Christian Apparel now:

I know the Bates and Duggar kids do wear t-shirts with printing on the front, but isn't it defrauding to have someone reading your chest?  Especially the "eye chart" one that says "Let Us Fix Our Eyes on Jesus" [and ironically the chest of the wearer].

And I sort of picture a RuPaul Drag Race Diva-Off.

32 minutes ago, HereticHick said:

I think we will know more about the status of their courtship next week, when the fundy world (including Ashley--she said on her Instagram that she is going) gathers at Big Sandy Family Camp.  Also, we may finally get info about whether or not Brandon N Michaella (as well as assorted Staddons) are going to move to Big Sandy.

Anyhoo--

I think that the Keilens will be moving, but they're going to make a storyline of it for the show (and perhaps they get to bill UP for moving expenses and the family coming to pack's travel expenses).

1 minute ago, 19 cats and counting said:

I think that the Keilens will be moving, but they're going to make a storyline of it for the show (and perhaps they get to bill UP for moving expenses and the family coming to pack's travel expenses).

I agree and I bet the story line will make it seem like he is going to work for some wonderful ministry. 

Just now, formergothardite said:

I agree and I bet the story line will make it seem like he is going to work for some wonderful ministry. 

Someone said the name of the ministry is on the website in her bio, but on the show (from what I know--- never watched it due to no cable) they've been very vague.

The episode also may be when they announce their family's growing.

16 minutes ago, formergothardite said:

I bet they will call it a "job transfer".

I hope the Fabulous Pecan Thief makes a guest appearance as they house hunt in Big Sandy!!

34 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

Well with the tiny apartment they're in now, all they'll need is a tow-behind U-Haul (but a huge budget for the rest of the family to tag along).  Hopefully Carlin will stay behind this time and not give Michaella grief over her furniture.

And what makes the U.S./America deal even more complicated is that Mexico also uses the prefix of "United States." We have a very, very awkward name. Calling ourselves anything basically offends someone else.

If I'm referring to myself, I will call myself American (United Statesian sounds a bit awkward... :pb_razz:) but when referencing where I'm from, I'll say I'm from the US.

Actually, I've found I don't have to call myself anything really when I travel. As soon as I open my mouth it's kind of obvious, but it's  kind of depressing that most of the time I don't even have to do that. There must be this USian look or something that I have. :pb_smile:

1 hour ago, AnywhereButHere said:

If I'm referring to myself, I will call myself American (United Statesian sounds a bit awkward... :pb_razz:) but when referencing where I'm from, I'll say I'm from the US.

Actually, I've found I don't have to call myself anything really when I travel. As soon as I open my mouth it's kind of obvious, but it's  kind of depressing that most of the time I don't even have to do that. There must be this USian look or something that I have. :pb_smile:

there is definitely a "look", lol... My ex-h is in the Army, and we spent 3.5 years in Germany. Even when I wasn't with him (its easy to spot a soldier, lol), people could spot me, and most everyone else usually, as Americans

As a non-American (in both senses) I think it sounds much better to say "I am from the U.S" if someone asks where one comes from and then after that use American if you like. Then your first identification is your own country and then American. I don't know for sure why this sounds better but it does. Maybe it is that then you say that the U.S is a part of the Americas and not the only country there. I have never met anyone from Central or South America who has used "American", all have said Guatemalan, Argentinian and so on. 

9 hours ago, rainbowbabycakes said:

there is definitely a "look", lol... My ex-h is in the Army, and we spent 3.5 years in Germany. Even when I wasn't with him (its easy to spot a soldier, lol), people could spot me, and most everyone else usually, as Americans

LOL - so true. I don't know what it is, but Americans do tend to have a look that makes it easy to play spot the American. Ironically, I have passed for a lot of different nationalities, but when I'm in the US, I don't fool anyone. The Americans have me pegged as a foreigner before I even open my mouth. :confused2:

In spanish we call the people from USA estadounidenses(that would translate as something like unitedstatian) but in english you either say she is from the united states of america, but that is like saying im from the Kingdom of Spain instead of im a spaniard or im from the Republic of France instead of im french, or you have to say american wich always sounded absurd to me since america is all the continent.

I suppose we could call ourselves by our state names? For instance, I would be a Michigander/Michiganian and someone from Ohio would be an Ohian etc. etc.

Although what would you call someone from Indiana? An Indianan? A Hoosier?? These are the questions I must have answered.

Some people do proudly call themselves by their state names.  I've seen many a political campaign that is 'State Name for X (issue/candidate)."

But some states use it more than others do.  And there's one state (MA) where I haven't heard the official term, just what pissed off drivers say when they see the license plate (Masshole).  

ETA to clarify on the campaign thing-- I mean a name like New Yorkers for XYZ not New York for XYZ.

Some people do proudly call themselves by their state names.  I've seen many a political campaign that is 'State Name for X (issue/candidate)."

But some states use it more than others do.  And there's one state (MA) where I haven't heard the official term, just what pissed off drivers say when they see the license plate (Masshole).  

Haha, Masshole. Kind of sounds like a word one would use to describe a self-righteous Catholic who brags about attending mass every Sunday [emoji1]

I've never heard Masshole used in a Catholic context.  It's commonly used to describe Boston drivers.

1 hour ago, Alicja said:

I suppose we could call ourselves by our state names? For instance, I would be a Michigander/Michiganian and someone from Ohio would be an Ohian etc. etc.

Although what would you call someone from Indiana? An Indianan? A Hoosier?? These are the questions I must have answered.

I'm from Georgia. Once again treading on another country. Lol

I know everyone stopped talking about this pages ago, but I'm behind soo........

Ashley's blog is beyond depressing. Talking about working in the kitchen because you know you have to, is that as emo as fundies are allowed to be?

New Englander here.  Massachusetts residents are usually called "Bay Staters" on the news, and New Hampshirites are usually called "Granite Staters."  Mainers and Rhode Islanders and Vermonters are self-explanatory.

Masshole I hear a lot, and people even have those bumper stickers, errr, I mean bumpah stickahs.

I'm from the Midwest, and Wisconsinites often called Illinoisians "Flatlanders" or "FIBs"  (use your imagination for curses on the second one), whereas Illinois people called Wisconsin people Cheeseheads.  Not sure how often that occurs now (I moved out east in 2000), but the Chicagoans in particular got the FIB moniker due to their driving skills across the border.

On 4/13/2016 at 0:40 AM, 16strong said:

And what makes the U.S./America deal even more complicated is that Mexico also uses the prefix of "United States." We have a very, very awkward name. Calling ourselves anything basically offends someone else.

Estadounidense is the Spanish word, which I think is pretty efficient, but it doesn't quite work in English. I realized how awkward the "American" thing was when I had a fling with a Mexican guy and I consciously tried not to call myself American in conversation. I'd just say "from the United States", which seemed to work OK, but I'm so used to saying that I'm American. Maybe we can call ourselves MURRICAN (the all caps is key) and then the rest of the continent can be American.

3 hours ago, Snarkle said:

New Englander here.  Massachusetts residents are usually called "Bay Staters" on the news, and New Hampshirites are usually called "Granite Staters."  Mainers and Rhode Islanders and Vermonters are self-explanatory.

Masshole I hear a lot, and people even have those bumper stickers, errr, I mean bumpah stickahs.

I'm from the Midwest, and Wisconsinites often called Illinoisians "Flatlanders" or "FIBs"  (use your imagination for curses on the second one), whereas Illinois people called Wisconsin people Cheeseheads.  Not sure how often that occurs now (I moved out east in 2000), but the Chicagoans in particular got the FIB moniker due to their driving skills across the border.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say you aren't originally from Connecticut? Maybe from Northern New England? I saw you left us off the New England list and it seems people from Northern New England tend to do that due to our proximity to New York.

And for the record, no one really agrees on what to call us. :pb_lol:

When Nathan and Ashley were taking the carriage ride, Ashley mentioned hearing that you're not supposed to have expectations and that it turned out to be correct.  Nathan then looked at her in an approving way.  Wasn't not having expectations part of Gothard's lecture to David and Priscilla at their wedding?  I just put the two together.

Between Nathan's preaching, Ashley's quoting of Mr. G during a romantic moment, and the two of them being missionaries, I think they might give Brandon and Michael a run for ultra-fundiest couple.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived