IGNORED

Nathan and Ashley Salyer - Courtship

jinseng

6 minutes ago, sawasdee said:

@PalimpsestThanks for those links - but unfortunately, they serve to show the inadequacy of protections even when enshrined in law. The Murt law, in Pennsylvania, says that child performers in reality shows are entitled to have 15% of their earnings deposited in an account until they reach the age of majority. For the Gosselins, (at whom this law was aimed) this means that each child gets, at most, one eighth of 15% - unless I have misunderstood the legislation. It can't be 15% per child, because with 8 children, that would be 120% - so one eighth of 15% - less than 2% per child. By any stretch of the imagination, this is ridiculous - it is the children who make these shows marketable - who would watch hours of Kate Gosselin, or of JB and Dairy Queen? So why should these exploitative parents trouser the majority of the cash their children generate?

Getting incoherent again. Shouldn't post when very angry, or when I've been at the beach drinking beer.:embarrassed:

Yes.  One eighth of 15%.  Iniquitous!  And it is even worse than that.  The parent/guardians get to dip into that trust fund for health and educational needs.  Chances are that there will be nothing left for the kids because they are probably paying their own school fees at the moment.  The CA and NY Coogan-type laws are a little stronger and don't allow that.  I think the kid(s) gets a "generous" 20% in CA.

Legislation always sets the lowest possible bar and it was difficult enough to get that Bill passed in PA, believe me.  I saw the first draft version and it was much stronger.  TLC/Discovery lobbied hard against it.  

Of course, parents/guardians can put more money than 15% into the trusts if they want - but it is left up to them.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

And Ashley's not a Bates (yet) so I hope at least she's paid separately for the show.  

Someone on one of these reality TV shows needs to do an expose on how much people are really paid.  Especially minors.

I'd be really surprised if she is paid for her appearances at all; same with brandon before he was married. is there some sort of threshold for guest appearances when they have to start paying adult "reality stars"? bc otherwise i could see brandon and ashley's family not even asking about it; after all the tv show is a "ministry" for their lifestyle...

@picklepizzas Now you have me wondering about Anna, Derick, and Ben before they married into the Duggar family.

And what level does a guest have to have before they're paid?  (I haven't watched BUB due to no cable) but apparently Ashley did her first TH.  Do they have to be at the TH level to get paid?

And do the married kids get separate paychecks?  What about their minor children?

2 minutes ago, 19 cats and counting said:

@picklepizzas Now you have me wondering about Anna, Derick, and Ben before they married into the Duggar family.

And what level does a guest have to have before they're paid?  (I haven't watched BUB due to no cable) but apparently Ashley did her first TH.  Do they have to be at the TH level to get paid?

And do the married kids get separate paychecks?  What about their minor children?

And what about wacky Sierra (who seemed to have replaced cousin Amy in the "wacky friend/neighbor" role) and the Duggars. I assumed that she (and Amy before her) was getting some sort of compensation for appearances. Or is your compensation is just that the production company pays your expenses (food, transport, admission fees)  whenever you are on an excursion on camera (for example, UP paying for everyone's food and ice skating fees in New York, including Ashley's)?

@HereticHick I also wonder if UP paid for Ashley's airfare to TN when she went home with Nathan and Lawson.  Or the family's when they went to NY?

From various leaks - only the family and "regulars" on the show are paid.  Sierra may be compensated as a regular.

Everyone else is asked (sometimes pressured) to sign a consent form. I've posted Josh McD's leak about Josh and Anna's wedding here before.  I'll see if I can find it again.

Are (unmarried) significant others (Anna, Derick, Ben, Brandon, Ashley) considered family when it comes to paychecks?  What about non regulars that have a heavy part of the show (ie the parents of the spouse to be during the proposal or wedding episode).  Were the Bates considered regulars when they were portrayed as a freak show on 17/18/19 Kids?

And I'm wondering what the compensation is like when a show like 19 Kids features the Duggars going to someone else's wedding (IIRC they did it for David/Prissy and Chad/Erin).  Is the couple compensated by a paycheck?  Does the network foot the bill for the wedding instead?

Somehow I see a rabbit hole just ripe for me to fall down.....

@19 cats and counting, you are correct, those laws do not extend to reality TV. I agree the laws are very strict for minors in entertainment. On modeling and acting sets, I've always seen what I think they call "Minor Representatives." Those individuals are responsible for making sure the laws are honored, and the kids receive regularly scheduled breaks, food, etc. But for now (as far as I know) reality TV does not have to adhere to those laws. 

On 4/11/2016 at 9:14 AM, formergothardite said:

I really need to start bookmarking interesting info, but last year when I was searching to find more about the Bates I did stumble upon a discussion about his involvement as in the advisory board. I can't remember where it was, though. The impression I have gotten is that Gil, being a world class grifter, saw a good opportunity and has been worming his way up the IBLP ladder for some time. At one point Gothard paid for Erin to travel with him on a "mission trip" and I think that was before Gil was on the BoD. 

I disagree with this. Gothard picked people who he thought would be faithful to him and support him no matter what. A faithful, mindless dolt would be perfect because Gothard couldn't stand being questioned. I suspect the real reason Jim Bob wasn't picked was because Gothard realized Jim Bob loves himself a great deal and if it came down to it would choose his own best interests over Gothard. BUT, Gothard, perhaps because of his old age, fucked up big time in picking Gil and the rest of the recent folks. It ends up that they were loyal to the IBLP money, not Gothard. Gothard got conned. 

I am positive he was on the advisory board before he moved up to the big boy seats

I don't doubt that the film crews have a lot of food.  When I was 10, a company decided to film a commercial at my house (it was the last day of 4th grade for me).  About every two hours, they ordered enough food to feed the entire neighborhood.

My sister and I each had several friends over to watch it, and what we ate was barely a dent in what they ordered.  Even if we had been bottomless pit teen boys, it wouldn't have made a dent.  I think the local restaurants had a huge boom in business that day (filming was only one day).  

1 hour ago, HereticHick said:

And what about wacky Sierra (who seemed to have replaced cousin Amy in the "wacky friend/neighbor" role) and the Duggars. I assumed that she (and Amy before her) was getting some sort of compensation for appearances. Or is your compensation is just that the production company pays your expenses (food, transport, admission fees)  whenever you are on an excursion on camera (for example, UP paying for everyone's food and ice skating fees in New York, including Ashley's)?

I assumed Amy's only payment was: FAME. wouldn't be super surprised if that was enough for Sierra as well. I think we're all underestimating how much people enjoy the chance at their 15 sec of fame. I bet up tv and tlc rarely have to pay anyone other than the family itself. 

I have a friend who does TH appearances for a true crime documentary series.  She gets paid in being on TV.  No dinero.

23 minutes ago, QuiverDance said:

I have a friend who does TH appearances for a true crime documentary series.  She gets paid in being on TV.  No dinero.

Does she get any expenses paid for (like getting to the studio for filming?) I also know people who do TH stuff for news programs, but I think they are doing it locally so they don't get compensated at all (I don't think they even get cab/Uber fare)

I have to wonder if it's there's a time or percentage threshold for these people to be considered "regulars" and then they just short-change them just like how some employers will cap your work hours at 35 hours so you don't get any benefits type of thing.

Like the parents of the bride-to-be is on for 15 minutes in a season and talking for 8 of those minutes, but you have to be shown for 20 minutes and talking for at least 10 minutes to be considered a regular part of the show. Maybe the sign a waiver stating the terms of the time limits and payment and whatnot and then post-edit they are told "Sorry, we had to cut your minutes down because they just didn't fit into the show so you won't get paid." but by that time they already signed the waiver.

That sort of shenanigans would NOT surprise me in the least.

I'm thinking of the Josh/Anna courtship/engagement/wedding episodes where the Kellers were heavily featured (Mom, Dad, Priscilla, and Suze).

I think it's one thing to be a guest at a wedding where you may or may not be in the background (or even in the background in a large bridal party).  But it's another thing to be walking the bride down the aisle and giving her away or to be MOH (Priscilla).   Were they paid at all?  

I guess one thing the Kellers did get out of TV was TFDW.   Did they use the show to advertise Priscilla (and Suze before she got out) and trying to shed another mouth to feed?

Ugh, so much shadiness regarding Gothard and IBLP. It reminds me of House of Cards.

Also, I am annoyed and curious as to the idea of the men providing for the first girls they marry. How the hell do you get by without the financial help of a TV show? 

7 minutes ago, season of life said:

How the hell do you get by without the financial help of a TV show? 

Typically they don't. A lot of them sink into poverty and have to depend on people giving them things. The Duggars and Bates don't show the reality of what is is like for most fundies. 

6 hours ago, 19 cats and counting said:

@HereticHick I also wonder if UP paid for Ashley's airfare to TN when she went home with Nathan and Lawson.  Or the family's when they went to NY?

They had to. remember they said there was limited space available, when Erin called dibs on going. They probably gave them about 5 or 6 tickets.

Am I the only one thinking that Nathan and Ashley are broken up? The family and Ashley have been so silent. You would think they would be excited to be public now that the episode has aired. Also, with Lawson saying he will not be the "lone ranger' for long makes me think Nathan is back on the market instead of Lawson talking to someone. 

I was thinking the same thing. The Bates haven't really promoted the relationship and Ashley has been radio silence about. They did stop following her on Instagram for a while. But I also think they wouldn't let everyone think he was in a courtship if he wasn't.

2 hours ago, Bgirl said:

I was thinking the same thing. The Bates haven't really promoted the relationship and Ashley has been radio silence about. They did stop following her on Instagram for a while. But I also think they wouldn't let everyone think he was in a courtship if he wasn't.

I think it's possible that they're engaged, and they're keeping it quiet for the show. This is a wild guess since I don't watch. 

I can't imagine they'd let the courtship episode be aired if Nathan and Ashley were broken up. Not after the disaster that was Zach's first courtship. And unlike TLC with the Duggars, UpTV is trying to make the Bateses look good and wholesome and just like your normal Christian family (only with eleventy kids), so I doubt they would screw them over like that.

51 minutes ago, JillyO said:

I can't imagine they'd let the courtship episode be aired if Nathan and Ashley were broken up. Not after the disaster that was Zach's first courtship. And unlike TLC with the Duggars, UpTV is trying to make the Bateses look good and wholesome and just like your normal Christian family (only with eleventy kids), so I doubt they would screw them over like that.

All points indicate that Ashley's more fundie than a tater tot casserole dish in a maxiskirt, but could it be possible that she found out about Gil's shadiness and has only recently bowed out? A girl can dream of sensibility in Fundie Land...

I don't think Lawson would have been live tweeting the episode if they had broken up so I'm guessing they're very much together and possibly engaged at this point.

We'll be getting an announcement this week about the next season, which will probably be the lead up to the wedding and maybe Carlin going to PCC.  Of course it will also feature Whitney and Erin's pregnancies and an episode of 'I love you day'.

• SpoonfulOSugar locked this topic

Archived