IGNORED

All THINGS DILLARD - Part 3

happy atheist

The only way to test your hypothesis would be to email the two people whose contact information is in the email. I'm not that stupid. :penguin-no:

I dare you :D

• Replies 865
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If they're actually going to Nepal for "mission" work with a 3 month old baby they're dumber than I thought.

What's the typical immunization schedule for infants? The CDC recommends that anyone spending an extended amount of time in Nepal, especially in poor/rural areas, should have AT LEAST routine vaccines up to date, plus Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis, and Malaria and Rabies prophylaxis if you're going to be in low-lying regions or in contact with wildlife/feral domesticated animals. I would think twice about bringing such a young baby to a developing nation with an already not-so-great healthcare infrastructure and plenty of health risks, both of which are now exacerbated by a devastating earthquake (and to that end, the CDC has a big red box on their website that essentially says GUYS PLEASE DON'T GO TO NEPAL RIGHT NOW THEY JUST HAD AN EARTHQUAKE THAT DESTROYED THEIR CAPITAL FOR CHRISSAKES).

If it were just Jill and Derick without Israel, that would be a little better (though I wouldn't want to foist him on Cathy, who's probably still kinda frail, and I wouldn't want him anywhere near his maternal grandparents); this seems like a really awful idea. Just go to Singapore with Israel. You don't need 80 billion immunizations to go there. Doesn't ATI do missionary type stuff in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur? I seem to recall Priscilla going and blogging about how gross she thought all the food was (to which I say, BLASPHEMY). And there are a lot of Nepalis in KL, if my memories of my trip there are correct.

I think it is completely crazy to take that baby to Nepal. Talk about religious obsession. if they really wanted to do mission work they should have used BC and waited to have kids. Izzy could easily become ill.

I wondeer if they have a contract with TLC to film their trip.

I can't believe they are going. Sad.

Well, Jill can't be there by herself with Israel. I hope idiot Boob is paying for the bodyguard.

Fundamental Fallout

My guess is that TLC's paying for it. The bodyguard in question is the same one Kate Gosselin used.

The only way to test your hypothesis would be to email the two people whose contact information is in the email. I'm not that stupid. :penguin-no:

eta: The area code checks out as Northwest Arkansas, but if those are work cell numbers, the people may well answer them, even now at 10pm Arkansas time. Not that I'd even attempt it, but *someone* might, especially one of Pickles' regulars. They're not the sharpest tools in the shed.

I can confirm that First.Last@walmart.com is the email convention for Walmart. I have no doubt that the email is legitimate.

I think it is completely crazy to take that baby to Nepal. Talk about religious obsession. if they really wanted to do mission work they should have used BC and waited to have kids. Izzy could easily become ill.

I wondeer if they have a contract with TLC to film their trip.

I can't believe they are going. Sad.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. It's the height of irresponsibility. Schrader level irresponsibility.

What's the typical immunization schedule for infants? The CDC recommends that anyone spending an extended amount of time in Nepal, especially in poor/rural areas, should have AT LEAST routine vaccines up to date, plus Hepatitis A, Typhoid, Japanese Encephalitis, and Malaria and Rabies prophylaxis if you're going to be in low-lying regions or in contact with wildlife/feral domesticated animals. I would think twice about bringing such a young baby to a developing nation with an already not-so-great healthcare infrastructure and plenty of health risks, both of which are now exacerbated by a devastating earthquake (and to that end, the CDC has a big red box on their website that essentially says GUYS PLEASE DON'T GO TO NEPAL RIGHT NOW THEY JUST HAD AN EARTHQUAKE THAT DESTROYED THEIR CAPITAL FOR CHRISSAKES).

If it were just Jill and Derick without Israel, that would be a little better (though I wouldn't want to foist him on Cathy, who's probably still kinda frail, and I wouldn't want him anywhere near his maternal grandparents); this seems like a really awful idea. Just go to Singapore with Israel. You don't need 80 billion immunizations to go there. Doesn't ATI do missionary type stuff in Singapore and Kuala Lumpur? I seem to recall Priscilla going and blogging about how gross she thought all the food was (to which I say, BLASPHEMY). And there are a lot of Nepalis in KL, if my memories of my trip there are correct.

I don't want to start a vaccine debate but you can pretty much guarantee exposure to hep a and hep b in this part of the world, especially following a natural disaster. Do we know the Duggar views on vaccines?

I don't want to start a vaccine debate but you can pretty much guarantee exposure to hep a and hep b in this part of the world, especially following a natural disaster. Do we know the Duggar views on vaccines?

Oh God I hope they're not taking Israel to Nepal. Even if they're not anti-vaxxers Israel is too young for all of his vaccines and still needs his regular infant shots in the upcoming months and such. These diseases tend to have a higher mortality rate in infants. Please Jill I know common sense isn't your forte but don't bring your baby there!

If they're going, which I hope they're not, I hope the plan is to actually help out and not just tell people everything will be alright if they accept Gothard as their lord and savior.

Why are people who snark on the Duggar lifestyle more concerned for the health and well being of their babies than they are?

Because we are in touch with reality and have more sense than they do.

You can be deeply religious without being a crazed fundamentalist.

Why are people who snark on the Duggar lifestyle more concerned for the health and well being of their babies than they are?

Probably because we see babies as little individuals who deserve love, attention and the chance to have the future of their own dreams. The Duggars see babies as necessary to win the race to have more babies than everyone else. Babies aren't people to them.

If I were Derick, my first instinct would be to get my wife and my baby the hell away from the Duggar family and start a new life someplace else. But Nepal??? After the earthquake??? With a newborn???

Anywhere out of earshot and control of Jim Bob might look pretty good to Derick and Jill right now. Also if In Touch is sitting on more Duggar bombshells, getting out of the US might also seem prudent. Jill cannot be roped into any more catastrophic damage control interviews if she is not on US soil.

I agree Israel is too young to be carried around a country ravaged by a recent earthquake. He needs more time to develop his immune system. Some of the vaccine's mentioned up thread cannot be given to newborns. I wish Jill and Derick would wait until Israel is a year old to head to Nepal or at least breastfeed for six months before taking off. :pray:

Because we have common sense and can put two and two together. Unlike the Duggars who have no brain cells and are all robots. I don't even think they can fully read. If it says in big red letters stay out then stay out

In my opinion, the best thing for them would be if Derick got another job somewhere in a state which is far away from AR. As an accountant, he should be able to find something.

Getting away from the Duggar compound is generally a very good idea. However, going to Nepal right now with their newborn is like jumping out of the frying pan into the fire.

When my son was 2 months old, I missed my grandmother's funeral because half of the small community in which she lived had come down with the flu. I made the decision, as his parent, that I couldn't risk his health by taking him to a place where he might encounter an illness his tiny immune system wasn't ready for. And that was small town North America. Earthquake ravaged Nepal? Not a fucking chance.

I don't know about the US, but here a two month old gets the TdAP, polio, influenza B, and a pneumococcal vaccine. I believe the US also gives rotavirus.

I just took a look at the CDC website and they recommend being up to date on all vaccines including MMR, which isn't available to infants until 1 year of age. Who knows if a baby could handle the other travel vaccines recommended.

If I were Derick, my first instinct would be to get my wife and my baby the hell away from the Duggar family and start a new life someplace else. But Nepal??? After the earthquake??? With a newborn???

My husband would do the same for me, but he wouldn't need persuade me. I would be backing and ready to leave with him before he finished talking. I agree about the going to Nepal though.

I feel bad for Derick. He is the only one with a real education and marketable job skills who can independently support a wife and kid.

I can't imagine the stress that Derick has been under since the molestation news came to light. I think that he wants to take Jill and Izzy as far as possible from Josh (who recently moved back to the area) and Boob and Mullet (who covered up the molestation).

Maybe Derick leaving Walmart is not bad for now. He can now have a legitimate reason to leave that part of AR, if he eventually finds work outside of AR after the mission trip.

I can't imagine the stress that Derick has been under since the molestation news came to light. I think that he wants to take Jill and Izzy as far as possible from Josh (who recently moved back to the area) and Boob and Mullet (who covered up the molestation).

Maybe Derick leaving Walmart is not bad for now. He can now have a legitimate reason to leave that part of AR, if he eventually finds work outside of AR after the mission trip.

I think Josh and Anna are the ones who should leave for Nepal. They should go far away, where nobody knows their names, and where their children won't be shunned.

Derick you fucking idiot. What a stupid time to quit your job. You at least had a job, what the fuck are you going to do now with a newborn baby and a wife who no longer is allowed to practice midwifery cause she halfway trained through someone who lost their license. You are the only one who could take care of the family, and you failed.

Yes, its great to leave the country and get away from the media shitstorm, but this is not the best place for a baby, and youre fucked when you get back and there is nothing waiting for you because there is no more show, no more money...especially as that big house isn't going to pay for itself, unlike it did with the TLC money from Jill's parents.

Ben had better have plans too, he just finished college, and has a baby on the way. Jessa has no skills to support herself (but I think there are some in there somewhere, she has good qualities that could be helpful at work, but no actual skills, training or desire to actually do it). They at least could afford to keep the house, but both couples need to stop reproducing if they want to not live in complete poverty.

Josh is screwed. Three kids and one on the way in a few weeks. He got everything handed to him because of who he is. He didn't have to do anything but show up, and he is lazy and has no work ethic...and that will change. Now his name is associated with child molestation, nobody would want to hire him and people hate him.

Well, I think he's crazy to quit his job now but at the same time, I can't blame him for getting out of Dodge, even if it's going to Nepal.

No, I don't think that Walmart asked him to resign because of Josh. As pointed out upthread, Derick is not Josh, he didn't do these things and the molestations occurred long before Derick was in the picture. I do wonder, however, if it was becoming difficult for Derick with the media scrutiny, a new baby and a clingy, traumatized wife. He's always had the plan to go back to Nepal and maybe he decided that now is a very very good time though I don't think it's a good idea to haul a 3 month old baby over there.

I suspect that things changed a lot for Derick between having Izzy and this scandal. Can't help but wonder if he sees his in law family in new and more negative light and all he wants is to get out of there.

I'm hoping if Derrick did agree to be a missionary, that Walmart gave him a leave of absence. I hope he didn't close that door, because Fortune50 company jobs are not that easy to come by.

I have second ? cousins who have lived the past 10-15 years in Indonesia as missionaries for the Navigators. They started a school, and have had 5-6 kids while there. It seems crazy to me, but they seem happy. Perhaps Derrick has a job with a "real" missionary organization which will provide support? Hope so.

I actually think that if Jill hadn't gotten knocked up on the honeymoon, they might have already headed out into the mission field. Or they were waiting until child one was born and then going. Jill and Derick always struck me as the types to be in the mission field and I'd always sort of assumed that was Jill's attraction to midwifery.

Archived