I'm surprised she didn't post as Ofdaniel and just complete her whole Handmaid's Tale view of the world. But wait, that book has extramarital sex in it, so she probably doesn't know what that means.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the scrapbooking post is a link to one of their albums. Erika even writes *beam* and *laugh* in there. Good grief!

I love this response to her Beyonce/pheromones post:

Erika, please leave science to the scientists and not your husband. Pheromones exist in men and women naturally. Every drop of sweat, saliva and even in our tears. You might as well wrap your daughter in saran wrap and leave her in the house than prevent her from excreting pheromones. Send her to a convent!

Well played commenter, well played :clap:

She's stuck up a 4th July photo in the form of a cover photo. Most comments are about how beautiful the family is, but one reads:

I worry about the older children.

Hmm....

She's stuck up a 4th July photo in the form of a cover photo. Most comments are about how beautiful the family is, but one reads:

Hmm....

If nothing else, I hope some of her online community will force her to get Brandon evaluated. I think I have the biggest hate-on for Erika based on her control freaky nature and how it's impacted her children. We see messed up fundies all the time, but I am seriously concerned about her hungry kids, most especially her eldest son.

I also wanted to share an awesome link I found about long term birth control. I think I saw something on Erika's FB or blog about the evils of public school, which included access to birth control. Oh, the horrors. Feast your eyes on the evils that birth control has wrought in Colorado, including fewer unplanned pregnancies and fewer abortions: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/scien ... &smtyp=cur

Can you imagine?

If nothing else, I hope some of her online community will force her to get Brandon evaluated. I think I have the biggest hate-on for Erika based on her control freaky nature and how it's impacted her children. We see messed up fundies all the time, but I am seriously concerned about her hungry kids, most especially her eldest son.

I also wanted to share an awesome link I found about long term birth control. I think I saw something on Erika's FB or blog about the evils of public school, which included access to birth control. Oh, the horrors. Feast your eyes on the evils that birth control has wrought in Colorado, including fewer unplanned pregnancies and fewer abortions: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/06/scien ... &smtyp=cur

Can you imagine?

And this coming from a woman who used birth control in the past. Hypocrite.

Erika now has a post up about scrap booking. I'm sorry but...why is this interesting? A lot of people make photo books on websites like Shutterfly. :clap: Congrats, Erika! *cheer* *beam* *chuckle*

Erika now has a post up about scrap booking. I'm sorry but...why is this interesting? A lot of people make photo books on websites like Shutterfly. :clap: Congrats, Erika! *cheer* *beam* *chuckle*

I saw the post a while ago. She had it up on her blog before linking on Facebook. It's basically a rehash of an old post, with some new pictures and slightly edited text (as often happens these days). A lot of Erika's posts are like that. The garage sale one was a particularly good example. There were no mind-blowing new ideas in it. The gist was get up early, organise, price things in groups etc... Maybe some people request these things so they can live exactly like she does. Who knows.

ETA: A recent picture she posted begins "I can't proclaim my love for God because I fail Him daily." Good grief. How depressing. You try and do all God tells you, and yet you still feel you fail Him daily? Wow. I don't know what to say. There's a reason ex-Catholics over here say they have an A-Level in Guilt (A-Levels being exams we do here). It's like when I was bored recently and was skimming through the Tits2 blog and saw an old Thanksgiving post, in which Anna mentions something about how she knows she deserves Hell. Sheesh! This makes me glad I'm not a believer and don't have to go through life feeling awful and guilty and like I deserve eternal punishment despite living how God tells me to.

I saw the post a while ago. She had it up on her blog before linking on Facebook. It's basically a rehash of an old post, with some new pictures and slightly edited text (as often happens these days). A lot of Erika's posts are like that. The garage sale one was a particularly good example. There were no mind-blowing new ideas in it. The gist was get up early, organise, price things in groups etc... Maybe some people request these things so they can live exactly like she does. Who knows.

ETA: A recent picture she posted begins "I can't proclaim my love for God because I fail Him daily." Good grief. How depressing. You try and do all God tells you, and yet you still feel you fail Him daily? Wow. I don't know what to say. There's a reason ex-Catholics over here say they have an A-Level in Guilt (A-Levels being exams we do here). It's like when I was bored recently and was skimming through the Tits2 blog and saw an old Thanksgiving post, in which Anna mentions something about how she knows she deserves Hell. Sheesh! This makes me glad I'm not a believer and don't have to go through life feeling awful and guilty and like I deserve eternal punishment despite living how God tells me to.

Well that's just it, Mango, nothing is ever good enough for fundies because they are never good enough for God. I couldn't imagine being their child. I'm doing everything to please mommy, daddy, AND Jesus and I'm still a sinner who deserves hell. :cry:

She is on a posting streak on Facebook. Is this normal? I am a new follower and so far is been all or nothing from her.

She is on a posting streak on Facebook. Is this normal? I am a new follower and so far is been all or nothing from her.

I think she's always posted more on Facebook than on the blog. With the Facebook page she usually posts at least once a day. With the blog she posted weekly when she first began, then between October 2014 and January 2015 there was nothing. In January 2015 she reposted her "continuing the vision" post which is where she explains why she isn't blogging as frequently (namely prioritising her family, which I get). There's then a gap till February, when she reposts the Easter post, and since then there's been a more steady stream of posts (albeit mostly reposts with slight editing).

Interesting about the tennis though. She mentions in the blog bio that she enjoys tennis. Also, is she playing in public? If so, what will she be wearing? An exercise skirt a la the Maxwells so she doesn't defraud anyone? Or what?

I agree that her FB page is more active than her blog. Have you ever heard the saying that everyone has a book inside them? But sometimes, it's just one book. :lol: I think Erika's internal book is already written and on the blog, so now she just recycles content and updates pictures occasionally.

Did anyone else see that she'd posted a link with 25 verses to pray over your husband? Interesting timing, as we were all just discussing the long-suffering looks of Bob and the strange Father's Day messages. FJ detectives FTW!

Well guys, Erika's posted some article about how kids these days have too much screen-time. Fair enough. But then, in a reply to a question, she posts this:

For example: Our oldest girls had an addition to reading fiction at one point, so we limited it to just weekends, with non-fiction reading encouraged during the week. (and we purchased extra non-fiction books, a book shelf, and library choices). But turned out to be still to much (all conversation focused around fiction, and there was pouting if they didn't have "enough" non-fiction on the weekends, so we limited it again to only 2 hrs./day max. on Sat. and Sun. That seems to have worked well, and now they *love* picking up non-fiction and talk all about it and seek out additional books they'd like to read.

Feel free to smash your foreheads against your keyboards in disgust. Erika, you are horrible. Reading fiction is ENTIRELY different to watching TV/spending time on a computer/tablet.

Well guys, Erika's posted some article about how kids these days have too much screen-time. Fair enough. But then, in a reply to a question, she posts this:

Feel free to smash your foreheads against your keyboards in disgust. Erika, you are horrible. Reading fiction is ENTIRELY different to watching TV/spending time on a computer/tablet.

:angry-banghead: Why take away the one joy her older girls are allowed to have? :angry-banghead: Erika sucks.

:angry-banghead: Why take away the one joy her older girls are allowed to have? :angry-banghead: Erika sucks.

I left some choice title suggestions for Erika.

I wonder what nonfiction they read. I bet its not very substantial and rather Maxwellian.

I have said It before and I will say it again. Any book banning that goes on receives serious side eye from me. :angry-cussingblack:

Books are my escape, my haven from the real world. Damn you Erika for depriving your children of the gift of fiction writing. damn you.

If you look at the pictures of her house, there aren't very many books. Most of the ones they have are for small children. I know the kids go to the library and all, but it makes me a little sad to see just how few books the older girls have. Erika seems pretty clear that her older kids are a low priority.

I read quite a bit of non-fiction...however I doubt seriously my subject choices would be "Shupe approved". One of my favorite topics is the history of the space program, from Project Mercury to the ISS. I'm such a geek that I downloaded the CAIB report to my tablet.

I can see the value of reading non-fiction books...learning different historical and factual perspectives on certain events...but I'll couple the heavy reading with a Discworld novel (which DEFINITELY would be on a fundie's no-no list).

But Erika, even fiction books are good for children's development. Nomatter what they read, doing a lot of reading helps improve a child's spelling, grammar and writing (a big example of this is Sarah Maxwell, her writing is so stilted and poor at her age because she was not allowed to read books).

Years ago, I went to a homeschool convention and roomed with two other moms. One was an uber-fundie mother who, like Erika, shunned fiction for her children. I discovered this when I asked if she would allow her children to read C.S. Lewis' "Chronicles of Narnia," and she was adamant that the series was inappropriate because of the witches and magic in the books. Had she bothered to investigate, she would have found that the series is an allegorical illustration of the Gospel.

Narrow. Minded. Fundies. :cray-cray:

I normally find Erika mildly amusing from a snark perspective. And I do think she has some impressive organizing skills. So I generally give her a pass on her bullshit and just walk away shaking my head. But the latest advice about limiting non-fiction reading time for her kids has pushed me over the edge. I am seeing red and would like to give her a piece of my mind. Those poor kids. :( She is a poor excuse for a mom.

Years ago, I went to a homeschool convention and roomed with two other moms. One was an uber-fundie mother who, like Erika, shunned fiction for her children. I discovered this when I asked if she would allow her children to read C.S. Lewis' "Chronicles of Narnia," and she was adamant that the series was inappropriate because of the witches and magic in the books. Had she bothered to investigate, she would have found that the series is an allegorical illustration of the Gospel.

Narrow. Minded. Fundies. :cray-cray:

The one thing I can say about Erika is that she is more allowing of fiction than the Maxwells, even though their lives are similar otherwise. There's a picture of Melanie reading a book on the beach on FB, and Erika says in the caption that the book is The Hobbit. At least Erika realises that it's an allegory. And the kids watched the movie "Inside Out" recently.

It just occurred to me that someone like Erika does not understand fiction, doesn't understand why anyone would like it and doesn't understand or appreciate the ways in which fiction can transport you into another world. Erika has a linear mind tied into rigid scheduling and organization. Fiction is unbounded and is the antithesis of Erika's world.

I can see why it makes her nervous when her girls lose themselves in fiction. Considering the fundie approach to many things, I'm grateful on the girls behalf that Erika at least allows two hours every weekend day and does really encourage reading in general.

Also, don't they live in the Pacific Northwest? Long, long summer days when the kids can play in the yard, maybe gives Ms. E some extra time to do things like scrapbooking. If ever there was a 'leisure' activity designed for the uber organized, scrapbooking is it.

Can't imagine what it's like having eleventy kids cooped up in the house on rainy winter days.

I've got a brand new James Lee Burke waiting. See y'all later.

She's replied to those who hand slapped her for limiting her daughters' reading time. I don't even know where to start... Here's her reply... HAPPY SNARKING!:

"No, no. This is an over reaction. smile emoticon They read *excellent* books that they *love*. They also read plenty of historical fiction, biographies, practical skills books such as gardening (our 16yo's *favorite* thing to do), drawing development (our 15yo's favorite thing - she wants to be an animator as a "career" prior to children), cosmetology (our 16's passion and what she desires to do prior to children), etc. They just don't read about fairies too much. We're not going to let them turn their brains to mush reading junk books that have 3nd grade vocabularies and plots and the only thing they learn is to expect that all life will be worked out within 200-400 pages, and a completely skewed view of what to expect from romance and marriage and friends. They need Christ-centered real life - with plenty of enjoyment, and self development. And they have many hobbies, we would never detract from that for them. But children/teens also have a human nature that would have them drinking in "dessert" or "junk food" all the time, without guidance as to how they should spend their time to become more useful to Jesus in their lives."

She also posted a link to a previous blog posts where she explains that the reason she won't let her kids read the Sunday comics is because someone in them built a snow woman instead of a snow man, WTF?

Those poor kids.

Archived