I hope the girls are allowed to read autobiographies for their non-fic. I often find those to be more interesting than the textbook-style non fiction. Too bad Karen and Melanie probably won't be allowed to read any Carrie Fisher books.

• Replies 907
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some fundies e.g. Erika, Steve M etc who never cease to amaze me. Just when I think they can't be any more awful they come out with drivel like this stuff about fiction reading.

I read a lot of science fiction and fantasy. The fact that these genres are set apart from reality is really the most interesting bit, because then interesting questions can be asked. For example: one of the books I read recently was Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie. In this book the protagonist is an avatar of a sentient computer. The protagonist refers to everyone as "she" or "her" because (s)he has trouble with gender and this makes for a very interesting thought experiment on gender roles. I tend to think of myself as someone who is fairly liberal regarding gender roles so it was a surprise to find myself disconcerted by the lack of gender and I found myself trying to guess the gender of characters based on actions which lead to the question: what exactly are female vs male actions.

Erika frowns on the most banal of fantasy and Steve officially states that they don't read, they write. What would Erika or really any fundie make of a book which deals in the nature of gender roles? I think their gut reaction would be fear. Fear that questioning would be like pulling a thread. Pull too much and you might find everything unravelling.

She's deleting negative comments? Oh good grief. She does seem to be getting negative comments more frequently these days. Most commenters still kiss her ass though. I think limiting screen time is OK- she's not the only one to do it, I'm sure plenty of non-fundies try and limit to some extent- but it was her post and comments about limiting fiction reading that really brought out the critics.

Erika, like many fundies, needs to learn to deal with criticism rather than delete negative comments and pretend like they don't exist.

So Erika doesn't like the unchallenging vocabulary of these books but I have a feeling they're forced to read thise because she doesn't allow them to read adult fiction. I'm sure they would choose something more mature if you know, given a choice.

I hope the girls are allowed to read autobiographies for their non-fic. I often find those to be more interesting than the textbook-style non fiction. Too bad Karen and Melanie probably won't be allowed to read any Carrie Fisher books.

There's also really interesting non-fiction that's written in a narrative style, like Erik Larsen and Truman Capote. I'm guessing that's right off the list though.

Poof! Her comments and follow-up critique of herlimiting her kids fiction reading have vanished. Think Erika or Bob-o reads here? Hi Erika! :cracking-up:

Poof! Her comments and follow-up critique of herlimiting her kids fiction reading have vanished. Think Erika or Bob-o reads here? Hi Erika! :cracking-up:

I messaged her privately on Facebook.

She said she didn't delete it but the comment that made the thread, the author deleted it. -shrug-

Next, The Penelopiad :D

I bought him Finnegan's Wake for his birthday. :wink-kitty:

After Ulysses he plans to read something by Pynchon, "for a break," and he's talking about rereading House of Leaves. He was about 14 when he read it the first time.

Prior to Ulysses he read Infinite Jest. As you can probably tell, he's into Extreme Reading. If something has a reputation for being a difficult read, that's catnip for him. I've been supportive, but I guess I'm doing it wrong. :penguin-no:

I've just been over on GOMI where there is a nice long thread about LFoP and someone pointed out the fact that, on one of Erika's photos, Erika wrote "getting dressed from PJs into close." CLOSE. Seriously, WTF. Also, you don't need to add "from PJs into clothes" when saying "getting dressed". Does she think we're all stupid or something??

I've just been over on GOMI where there is a nice long thread about LFoP and someone pointed out the fact that, on one of Erika's photos, Erika wrote "getting dressed from PJs into close." CLOSE. Seriously, WTF. Also, you don't need to add "from PJs into clothes" when saying "getting dressed". Does she think we're all stupid or something??

She wants to make VERY sure everyone knows that they sleep in PJs -- you know, as opposed to nude :pink-shock: :lol:

I don't think so. I literally think she's dumb, knows it, and just doesn't care. Upthread are people that have pointed out her mistakes to her, and her "excuse" is that she received a poor elementary education, and it's too late to do any better. As long as she's in control, has a decent-sized fan base, and is successfully indoctrinating her kids, I don't think she cares what other people think of her.

After Ulysses he plans to read something by Pynchon, "for a break," and he's talking about rereading House of Leaves. He was about 14 when he read it the first time.

Prior to Ulysses he read Infinite Jest. As you can probably tell, he's into Extreme Reading. If something has a reputation for being a difficult read, that's catnip for him. I've been supportive, but I guess I'm doing it wrong. :penguin-no:

Has he tried Proust yet? I thought of it because today is Marcel's birthday. They're beautiful, absolutely bonkers novels. They're much less stylized than Ulysses and IJ, of course, but the prose is gorgeous and the story is amazing.

Has he tried Proust yet? I thought of it because today is Marcel's birthday. They're beautiful, absolutely bonkers novels. They're much less stylized than Ulysses and IJ, of course, but the prose is gorgeous and the story is amazing.

He has not, but I'll suggest it to him. Any specific recommendations?

And he might want to try Henry James's The Wings of the Dove. 768 pages.

Here's part of its blurb on Amazon:

"Under its brilliant, coruscating surfaces, beyond the scrim of its marvelous rhetorical and psychological devices, The Wings of the Dove offers an unfettered vision of our civilization and its discontents. It represents a culmination of James's art and, as such, of the art of the novel itself."

:shock:

It's seven books long, not like a series so much as one long story split up, so the characters and plot lines continue the whole way through. The first book is called Swann's Way. I recommend the newest translations edited by Christopher Prendergast over the older Moncrieff translations. It seems like a vocabulary failure for me to say that these books are stupendous, since that hardly seems to do them justice. I adored them.

Sounds like an awesome kid. I bought my copy of Ulysses from the Shakespeare & Co. bookstore in Paris, where Joyce lived when he wrote it. If your son ever aspires to be a starving novelist, tell him to head there! :) They'd love him.

Also, may I humbly suggest two of my favorites? Absolom! Absolom! and The Sound and the Fury both by my beloved Faulkner. He can go as deep as he wants. He might also enjoy a bit of Cormac McCarthy if he's feeling peckish, but not ready to commit to another Joyce. :lol:

"Fiction" makes me tingly.

Ah! The Sound and the Fury! Yes! What an amazing book.

Cute story: recently I found my daughter flipping through my copy of Ulysses. I asked what she was up to and she said, "This guy, Mr Joyce, made up stories in his head and then wrote them down with words! A lot of words. Will you read this to me?"

I was like, "Ah, no, you're three years old. You kind of have to work up to this one." So I read her Frog and Toad Are Friends instead.

I began reading James Joyce's "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" and just got confused because it jumped around so much.

Back to Erika: on the picture of the kids at the theater about to watch Inside Out, someone wrote: "The movie gets your approval?"

Erika replied: Well, it's not *my* approval that matters, it's God.

She then mentions the movie review site they use (via Focus on the Family). Criteria for a good film includes how it holds up to scripture. Good grief. After looking up FotF, they sound exactly the kind of organisation Erika would support, aka homophobic, pro-life, pro-corporeal punishment etc etc. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I began reading James Joyce's "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" and just got confused because it jumped around so much.

Back to Erika: on the picture of the kids at the theater about to watch Inside Out, someone wrote: "The movie gets your approval?"

Erika replied: Well, it's not *my* approval that matters, it's God.

She then mentions the movie review site they use (via Focus on the Family). Criteria for a good film includes how it holds up to scripture. Good grief. After looking up FotF, they sound exactly the kind of organisation Erika would support, aka homophobic, pro-life, pro-corporeal punishment etc etc. :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

I remember the FotF movie reviews. My parents used it until I was 14-15 to decide if I could see movies or not. I only remember one movie that I wasn't allowed to see because of it. I even got the "brownie story" on how even just a little bit of wrong is totes not okay: snopes.com/glurge/brownies.asp

Not all the films get a Spiritual Content section. See The Hunger Games: Mockingjay Part 1 (pluggedin.com/movie-reviews/hunger-games-mockingjay-part-1). I looked to see how they'd actually make that one work. So, I guess FotF can't even tie everything back to Jesus. :naughty:

OTOH, I am happy they were able to see Inside Out. From everything I've heard/read, now including the FotF review, it's a great movie regarding emotions.

He read Dubliners first, then Portrait of the Artist, now Ulysses.

I messaged her privately on Facebook.

She said she didn't delete it but the comment that made the thread, the author deleted it. -shrug-

I'm not inclined to believe her on this. She was getting heat.

I don't think so. I literally think she's dumb, knows it, and just doesn't care. Upthread are people that have pointed out her mistakes to her, and her "excuse" is that she received a poor elementary education, and it's too late to do any better. As long as she's in control, has a decent-sized fan base, and is successfully indoctrinating her kids, I don't think she cares what other people think of her.

I can't believe somebody who admits to not getting a good education (anybody agree with me that she probably just didn't apply herself, like she doesn't now?) thinks she's good to homeschool.

I can't believe somebody who admits to not getting a good education (anybody agree with me that she probably just didn't apply herself, like she doesn't now?) thinks she's good to homeschool.

But it's her JOB to homeschool. You know, "train up a child in the way he should go". She won't send her kids to public school or private school, and Bobbo is out working all day, so it falls to her to homeschool. But then again, her eldest four pretty much school themselves by now. That's why I'm surprised Melanie hasn't picked up on the "your/you're" difference. Or does Christian homeschooling not mention grammar and spelling?

Also, well done on your kid reading all those books, happy atheist! Especially Ulysses. Not read it, but I hear that it can seem unstructured and chaotic at first glance. That kind of thing would confuse me no end!

The other sad part? Before she had kids, she was a teacher. :penguin-no:

Archived