IGNORED

Get your FFRREEEEE Moody book......

Justme

I am too but I'm trying to figure out a nice way to say that this book is horrible. I don't know if Steve allows Sarah to read the Amazon reviews but I don't want to be mean to her. My oldest daughter loves to read, she will read anything. I gave her this yesterday and she came back 20 minutes later and asked if she had to read it because she didn't like it. She couldn't understand why instead of just getting to make cookies with the mom the one girl had to start a business or why the dad and the one son couldn't build a tree house. She was also confused about all the Bible time.

ETA: Her suggestion that was maybe instead of selling cookies the daughter could make cookies and go visit all the neighbors to give them some.

Congratulations, formergothardite. You have raised a daughter who is kind and generous. She understands doing something for other people because it is nice. Don't let her read any more. It might ruin her.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I left a comment on the Moody promotional post that was, I thought, downright friendly. Wonder why it didn't get approved? :-(

Unfortunately, I know exactly what the special lunch meat is. I also grew up in a large family where grocery money was tight. My mom packed my dad a lunch every day which was a hard-boiled egg and a piece of fruit. We didn't see a lot of fresh fruit in our house and we all knew those 5 apples or bananas or peaches were for daddy's lunch. If he had favored a ham sandwich, I'm sure there would have been "daddy's special ham" kept separate from our baloney.

Was this really necessary? Sarah can't help it. I would hate for her to see that. It is just unhelpful and mean. Go kick some puppies and drown some kittens while you are at it.

If Sarah sells her book on Amazon and offers a free upload, then she is going to get constructive criticism. I am not sure if this reviewer was being sarcastic or not (they probably were), but they didn't say anything really "mean" in their review. Unfortunately, it was truth.

I do feel bad for Sarah, because even though she is a thirty-something "published author", a negative review could potentially crush her, whereas a mature author would hopefully read critiques and learn from them or manage to laugh them off if they seem downright spiteful.

FUCK YOU, STEVE MAXWELL.

The thing that rubbed me the wrong way about the review is that it seemed like it was written by someone who knew she had a poor education since that was pretty much the main focus of the whole review, so to me it appeared more like a personal poke than truly constructive. That's also something she can't help, since her parents decided that for her, and she probably thinks she got a good education at the Stevehovah SOTDRT.

My review would've been less about schooling and more about proper literary construction.

The thing that rubbed me the wrong way about the review is that it seemed like it was written by someone who knew she had a poor education since that was pretty much the main focus of the whole review, so to me it appeared more like a personal poke than truly constructive. That's also something she can't help, since her parents decided that for her, and she probably thinks she got a good education at the Stevehovah SOTDRT.

My review would've been less about schooling and more about proper literary construction.

I see what you mean. It did sound like the reviewer knew that it wasn't a child who had written the review and was just saying those things for shits and giggles.

However, Sarah is STILL an adult. Legally and bodily, if not in mentation and social skills. If she so chooses to publish her books and sell them on a HUGE website, she should expect some criticism.

I do blame Steve. He is evil, but he is not stupid. He had to have known that offering this free e-book would put the author in the spotlight and open the door for possible negative reviews. He also knows that we FJers (and others) were going to download this book and possibly make less than positive comments. If Sarah is not equipped to handle some negative feedback about her books, then maybe Jesu - er, Daddy - should not have told her to write, publish and sell them.

Do read Steve's reply to the review. It's kind of stunning in it's arrogance.

Thank you for letting us know that you discovered grammatical errors in the text. We would be very grateful if you would kindly let us know what you are referring to and the page you found it on. (One or two examples would really help us.) You can e-mail managers@Titus2.com.

We have been blessed with excellent professional proofreaders on all Titus2 books. I'm sure they would like to investigate the specific issue(s) you are referring to and, if necessary, correct for the next edition.

I strongly suspect that Sarah will never, ever read the feedback. Steve will answer it all for her and show the world his ass while doing so.

I've not read the book nor will I bother to download it even though it's free, but I always go back to the fact that Sarah's books are never submitted to an editor but to simply a proofreader and there is a big difference in skill level there.

I, too, would like to know specific examples of grammatical errors in the book. It's one thing to just write poorly, but if she's truly making mistakes and they aren't being caught by a proofreader, that's pretty sad.

I see what you mean. It did sound like the reviewer knew that it wasn't a child who had written the review and was just saying those things for shits and giggles.

However, Sarah is STILL an adult. Legally and bodily, if not in mentation and social skills. If she so chooses to publish her books and sell them on a HUGE website, she should expect some criticism.

I do blame Steve. He is evil, but he is not stupid. He had to have known that offering this free e-book would put the author in the spotlight and open the door for possible negative reviews. He also knows that we FJers (and others) were going to download this book and possibly make less than positive comments. If Sarah is not equipped to handle some negative feedback about her books, then maybe Jesu - er, Daddy - should not have told her to write, publish and sell them.

The review was NOT constructive. It was sarcastic and likely written by someone here to be mean. It read as condescending and mean spirited. The points covered in the "review" were exactly what is covered here all the time. Sarah is not an adult. She cannot even go to the store by herself. I just think it is very cruel to attack the one thing the poor girl has for herself.

Everyone should go leave those kinds of reviews on Steve and Teri's books. Sarah is a victim.

In all famous fundiedom, I feel the most sorry for the Maxwell girls. The Duggar girls are free spirits compared to them. I hope she keeps trying to write. Maybe it will lead her to want more for her life. At least it must give her some outlet of her own.

I've not read the book nor will I bother to download it even though it's free, but I always go back to the fact that Sarah's books are never submitted to an editor but to simply a proofreader and there is a big difference in skill level there.

I, too, would like to know specific examples of grammatical errors in the book. It's one thing to just write poorly, but if she's truly making mistakes and they aren't being caught by a proofreader, that's pretty sad.

Actually, Sarah may not even submit her books to a proofreader anymore, since Steve's pointed out that THEY caught errors the proofreader missed. Of course, who knows what they mean by proofreader in the first place. For all we know, it could be someone whose credentials are that they're a Steve-approved Christian (which, as we all know, is all that matters) and not a PROFESSIONAL proofreader with real world experience.

I think it's nearly impossible—for me anyway—to write an honest review of this book without possibly hurting Sarah's feelings. I can't think of one redeeming thing to say about it. Not one. Except maybe to say that the illustrations are…okay? It's poorly conceived, poorly written and poorly edited. The Moody books are probably fine for their equally sheltered intended audience but I can't see how they'd appeal to any other child.

Was this really necessary? Sarah can't help it. I would hate for her to see that. It is just unhelpful and mean. Go kick some puppies and drown some kittens while you are at it.

i didn't write it but i didn't think it was overly cruel, just honest. The truth hurts sometimes. Sarah might need a wake up call. It's not too late for her, and anger is one step on that process of de-programming.

I don't know, any kind of art you have to practice, practice. And maybe the only way Sarah can justify taking time away from "ministering to the family" for writing is if daddy sees some sort of financial benefit, or at least a little padding to the family fame persona. Maybe if she's going to take time to write she HAS to publish.

I was in a similar situation, so I can sympathize. If she enjoys the writing, it maybe that with time she can shed some of that programming and start to really make contact with herself. Art can do that to a person.

i didn't write it but i didn't think it was overly cruel, just honest. The truth hurts sometimes. Sarah might need a wake up call. It's not too late for her, and anger is one step on that process of de-programming.

I think calling the 31 year old author a child is pretty mean. We all know she is a child, but does she have to have that thrown at her? I bet she reads the reviews. They do order things online and use technology.

Not that I've read it very carefully, but in the middle of chapter 11, they are asking for volunteers to shuck some corn. One of the kids offers to do it, and another replies "Me to." I'm sure it's a typo, since the word 'too' is used correctly elsewhere in the book, but wouldn't a proofreader catch that?

The other thing that caught my eye was a chapter called 'Too Big a Hurry. I really want to change that to 'Too Big of a Hurry.' There are a lot of double entendres in it, but a child probably wouldn't catch those, especially not a sheltered one!

I'm not going to review that book on amazon. Mostly because she has missed out on a lot of what other writers have gotten to do. She's been kept so protected that she hasn't had the chance to read a wide range of books, she hasn't been exposed to other writers or taken writing classes, and she doesn't have a professional editor. I think the Moody books do have some potential but they need some editing and she needs to know when and where to add detail. They read a bit like an overview instead of a story. Maybe writing isn't her passion.

Steve won't outlive his kids, and we'll be here to help them detox when they climb out of that hole he put them in.

She's going to have to start back at her childhood when things were normal, and work her way out of it, Kimmy Schmidt style.

post-10046-14452000208195_thumb.jpg

at least, i hope they can. I always say he's got them hard wired to brainwashing, but who knows maybe over time it will dissipate and they can get back to reality. I hope i'm wrong about his hold over them, and they can get out of their invisible prison.

I'm not going to review that book on amazon. Mostly because she has missed out on a lot of what other writers have gotten to do. She's been kept so protected that she hasn't had the chance to read a wide range of books, she hasn't been exposed to other writers or taken writing classes, and she doesn't have a professional editor. I think the Moody books do have some potential but they need some editing and she needs to know when and where to add detail. They read a bit like an overview instead of a story. Maybe writing isn't her passion.

It's not. It's her assigned role. In the preface she writes how "WE had discussed the need for godly reading material for children," and "MOM and GIGI discussed the struggle to find wholesome books so GIGI said WE should write our own." Then her parents "encouraged" her to write. Nowhere does she mention—ever—that writing was something she was interested in.

I don't think it's harsh, so much as I think it was just more pointedly about her upbringing than her actual writing.

And absolutely she should expect feedback. I think it would be unfortunate if FJ were to provide the negative feedback in a biased mad rush rather than letting it happen organically from other readers who haven't had the (mis)fortunate of being exposed to Stevehovah's insanity. The promotion to top selling children's ebooks already wasn't organic since we had such an interest in it (guilty!).

OK guys, I just checked the Tits2 blog.... and the fact that it is the number 1 downloaded kids' book or whatever HAS BEEN MENTIONED ON THE BLOG. Sarah writes that this is 'proof' that the blog readers love the Moodys.

Poor girl has NO idea.

Actually, Sarah may not even submit her books to a proofreader anymore, since Steve's pointed out that THEY caught errors the proofreader missed. Of course, who knows what they mean by proofreader in the first place. For all we know, it could be someone whose credentials are that they're a Steve-approved Christian (which, as we all know, is all that matters) and not a PROFESSIONAL proofreader with real world experience.

I think it's nearly impossible—for me anyway—to write an honest review of this book without possibly hurting Sarah's feelings. I can't think of one redeeming thing to say about it. Not one. Except maybe to say that the illustrations are…okay? It's poorly conceived, poorly written and poorly edited. The Moody books are probably fine for their equally sheltered intended audience but I can't see how they'd appeal to any other child.

The bets I can say is that she is earnest. Which basically translates to "The result sucked, but she tried."

I don't think it's harsh, so much as I think it was just more pointedly about her upbringing than her actual writing.

And absolutely she should expect feedback. I think it would be unfortunate if FJ were to provide the negative feedback in a biased mad rush rather than letting it happen organically from other readers who haven't had the (mis)fortunate of being exposed to Stevehovah's insanity. The promotion to top selling children's ebooks already wasn't organic since we had such an interest in it (guilty!).

While I have no doubt that Sarah Maxwell is pretty fragile since she's been so sheltered throughout her life, I also think that the review was okay. Someone out there needs to be able to point out that her education is severely lacking. That's a huge problem, and that's all on Steve. They have such extremely limited contact with the outside world, so where else aside from Amazon reviews can she even potentially get feedback? Steve was the one who messed everyone up, but if we're going to hope that they break out of it, some questions about education and anger about the lifestyle will help. They've got to start somewhere. The Internet is the closest they can get to the outside world, even if their time on it and access to it is strictly monitored.

I haven't read the book (afraid I might rip out my eyeballs) but I've read the FJ summaries and reviews, which shall suffice for me. It's hard to tell if writing is a passion for Sarah or just the only artistic outlet she's allowed, but she should get some constructive criticism in order to improve. Steve's not going to last forever, and his family will have to make ends meet somehow once he's gone. Fundies do love to support other fundies, and they're willing to pay extra for the privilege. The Moody books might be a way for Sarah to keep going, if they were improved significantly. Honestly, while I'd love to see all the Maxwells break free, I tend to agree with the poster who referred to their programming as hard-wired now. That outside world will be terrifying. Even if she became fundie-lite once Steve's gone, she could still contribute at least a bit to her household (I'm assuming she'll become the property of one of her brothers) with the Moody books, and at least have a semblance of an identity. Ultimately I agree with everyone else: Poor Sarah.

I feel bad for Sarah, who has no idea how bad her work is, but if you put yourself out in public you have to be ready for criticism. I don't doubt that someone who knew her background wrote the negative post. That being said, it is somewhat true. Even though she is treated as a child, Sarah is a woman in her 30s. She needs to stop being coddled or sheltered by everyone, not just her family. If no one tells Sarah that her writing is bad, she will never get better. She will just keep writing the same exact thing, i.e. all the Moody books being similarly horrible. I don’t understand the idea that she does not deserve criticism for a product she is trying to get us all to spend money on. I have no doubt she would have no problem criticizing our books, entertainment, beliefs and lifestyles. As someone else posted, she is writing wholesome Christian children’s books because Sarah/Daddy just don’t think they exist in the world. This is just a Maxwell criticism of other books so why aren’t Sarah’s books open for the same criticism?

Archived