IGNORED

Get your FFRREEEEE Moody book......

Justme

I figured that the dad gets special lunch meat because his is the freshly sliced turkey or roast beef from the deli, while everyone else gets the cheap stuff you are unsure of what type of meat you are eating.

I made it through the first two chapters. Sarah starts the book with a noise being heard in the middle of the night. Normally that would be a great way to build suspense. The the problem is that we stop caring about what made the noise before we have an answer. She bogs everything down in needless details. I think Sarah writes the way she was raised. Everyone moment must be accounted for in her life, so every moment must be accounted for in her stories. A noise in the night is scary, yet in Sarah's book, it's a time for the family to have an adventure investigating the noise. The Moodys are not a bright family.

The preface or whatever was at the beginning was kind of sad. It seems as though everyone was involved on the editing process. At what point did it stop being Sarah's book and start being a collaboration? What's horrifying is that all those people thought that this book was great and ready to go.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One thing to consider too, for someone stuck reading the Bible and little more, this at least has a story line and has kids doing things in it. It's probably exciting to some people who never watch TV or movies, never read children's books, beginning chapter books, comic books, the boxes of kids's cereal boxes or spent an afternoon at the library selecting stacks of new books to bring home and devour. So as awful as we all think it is, and it is awful, they found their niche in the market and have very little competition.

Makes me think that some enterprising children's author could probably crank these out pretty fast, following the "fundie life rules" building the story. Solid family, lots of kids, stay at home mom, home school, bible, no TV, no team sports. A little snappire plot, add a little mystery, make the kids a little smarter and you've got a winner. Wonder if anyone can put up a table at these conferences they all go to.

Special lunch meat? I'm remembering an episode of friends where Joey has to do a nude scene and he gets a bit of help from Monica and some sandwich meat, which then falls off in the audition. What would Sarah say to a scene like that?

Someone above asked about plot. No - there is no plot. Sarah actually talks about that. This is not a drama. This not an adventure. This is not a mystery. It is a story about the day to day lives of a family that love each other. Imagine that, brothers and sisters that love each other. (That's not an exact quote but it's pretty close to what she says. The video of her saying it is on their blog.) Day to day life is boring unless you are the one living it. Spring Days just dragged on and on ... Nothing lead anywhere, the book had no obvious beginning or end. Dull. I started reading this one and yes, it's exactly the same except there are [spoiler alert] two less children in this book.

No, it really is that boring. I was also expecting it to be a short chapter book, but that appears not to be the case. I was thinking maybe 6-8 chapters, but I have a feeling it's going to be longer. I'm midway done with chapter 4 and my Kindle says I'm only 21% through. :roll:

It was so boring that I'd forgotten that I'd read it--Amazon had to remind me.

There is one point in the story where Max, Mitch, and Mollie start businesses. The boys start a pet sitting business and Mollie a baking business. At one point they go to get a permit to hand out flyers. Dad only takes the boys- Mollie does not go. Later when they hand out flyers Mollie has to stay on the sidewalk with her parents and the boys go to the door. It irritates me so much that Mollie does not get to do any of these things when one of the businesses is hers! Of course I shouldn't expect anything else from the Maxwells!

There is one point in the story where Max, Mitch, and Mollie start businesses. The boys start a pet sitting business and Mollie a baking business. At one point they go to get a permit to hand out flyers. Dad only takes the boys- Mollie does not go. Later when they hand out flyers Mollie has to stay on the sidewalk with her parents and the boys go to the door. It irritates me so much that Mollie does not get to do any of these things when one of the businesses is hers! Of course I shouldn't expect anything else from the Maxwells!

Sarah is too scared to let her imaginary daughter talk to imaginary strangers.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00B53C1XA/ref=cm_sw_r_fa_awdm_S-Ksvb1CF7X4P

Sharing in case anyone wants to download it. :)

Slightly off-topic, but one of the reviewers is "Miguel's Helpmeet". :ew: :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead: If ever you need proof that fundamentalist Christian women are just their husband's property and nothing else.... :? :cray-cray:

One thing to consider too, for someone stuck reading the Bible and little more, this at least has a story line and has kids doing things in it. It's probably exciting to some people who never watch TV or movies, never read children's books, beginning chapter books, comic books, the boxes of kids's cereal boxes or spent an afternoon at the library selecting stacks of new books to bring home and devour. So as awful as we all think it is, and it is awful, they found their niche in the market and have very little competition.

Makes me think that some enterprising children's author could probably crank these out pretty fast, following the "fundie life rules" building the story. Solid family, lots of kids, stay at home mom, home school, bible, no TV, no team sports. A little snappire plot, add a little mystery, make the kids a little smarter and you've got a winner. Wonder if anyone can put up a table at these conferences they all go to.

There are quite a few, the only ones i really know about are Tier 1 fiction, and what VF sold like Elsie and GA Henty.

But there is a series about Mennonite missionary kids, the Miller family: milestonebooks.com/item/20-505/

It's an interesting market though. Too bad Sarah can't do a better job at this. You failed her, Steve.

"They write, they don't read"

That makes me so sad. I love reading. I'm one of those people who are constantly learning new things, mainly by reading. I'm surprised his kids aren't all chronically depressed. Or maybe the are and they're not allowed to show it.

They are, definitely. But it's the godly sorrow that worketh repentance, right?

For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death. 2 Cor. 7:10

See, Steve has them locked down on every level, even emotionally.

Every questioning doubt they could think, every warning feeling that maybe there is more to life than this, every red flag that maybe God doesn't require total unquestioning submission to their [inherently flawed like all of us are!] earthly father... it all has a Biblical or Stevehovah-made connection to the mental shock collar.

I never thought I'd see Steve stoop to this level of offering something for FREE and then using a service such as Kindle to get it to the masses. And Sarah is getting such great feedback which encourages her to continue writing. Oy.

I read my children the Mennonite Miller books when they were little; they are a fond memory for all of us. We still quote them at odd times. They are a little stilted to the typical modern reader, but trust me, they are positively RIVETING, like, action-movie riveting, compared to Sarah's dreck. She probably wasn't allowed to read them as a child because they contained too much excitement. (Timmy Miller has quite the sweet tooth and on two separate occasions, eats an entire bowl of sugar and 7 cream-stick doughnuts. The warning when someone is overeating in our family is "don't pull a Timmy Miller!") :lol:

Yes....get your free Moody book...you'll discover the answers to the questions you've been on pins and needles about such as:

1) Just what is that twinkle in father's eye when he talks about sacrificing his special lunch meat?

2) Will Mollie make the jump and start a baking business suggested by her father?

3) Has Mollie's father lost his mind thinking his daughter can be a business owner coming into contact with people of the world?

4) Is Mollie open to the idea of NOT being a stay-at-home daughter?

I mean who wants to read classic works of literature by Lucy Maude Montgomery and C.S. Lewis when they can read the delving and captivating works of the Maxwells? Certainly the legendary authors pail in comparison!!!!

That reminds me, I need to work on my moody fan fiction story....

I know fundy fanfic is against the rules here, but what about the Moodys?

(I'd love to read it)

Did you all read the very interesting one star review? Oh. my. word...I about lost it with tears pouring down my face...

LOL. I totally upvoted that review. :lol:

All I have to say is poor Sarah. Her parents ruined her. I read the reviews too. She really does write like a child. My children are college graduates, and my youngest is the only one left in college. They didn't write like that. I don't know what else to say. The book was terrible. Poor Sarah. I said that already, didn't I?

I read my children the Mennonite Miller books when they were little; they are a fond memory for all of us. We still quote them at odd times. They are a little stilted to the typical modern reader, but trust me, they are positively RIVETING, like, action-movie riveting, compared to Sarah's dreck. She probably wasn't allowed to read them as a child because they contained too much excitement. (Timmy Miller has quite the sweet tooth and on two separate occasions, eats an entire bowl of sugar and 7 cream-stick doughnuts. The warning when someone is overeating in our family is "don't pull a Timmy Miller!") :lol:

YES i too remember the whole bowl of sugar story. :lol: Great writing - something kids never forget.

So far Honey, the dog, and Snickers, the rat, have been the funnest characters. although I feel bad for the dog because she should really be with people instead of stuck in the yard with only twice daily visits.

Its very shitty homeschooling. Even academically, their writing and stuff is awful, but worse is how their emotional and social needs have not been met. They aren't thriving in that house. They are simply existing.

They ruined her education and they ruined her life. Did you see Sarah's video where she said something like "imagine brothers and sisters that love each other"? They brainwashed her too. She can't even grasp that siblings all over the world love and enjoy the company of each other. Something is going on in that house. I have felt it for years. Something isn't right. Steve Maxwell is evil.

My kids truly loved the Millers. They were sweet, happy books most of the time.

When I was in a sort of fundie (Reformed in the Doug Wilson vein) I would talk over the courtship rules and ideas the church with a friend of mine who was raised conservative Mennonite (and later turned Baptist.) She thought they were nuts. The Mennonites were more reasonable, apparently. Though they can be kind of crazy too-my friend is in her 50's and she still has gruesome pictures pop into her head over the martyr stories she was brought up on... so...

All I have to say is poor Sarah. Her parents ruined her. I read the reviews too. She really does write like a child. My children are college graduates, and my youngest is the only one left in college. They didn't write like that. I don't know what else to say. The book was terrible. Poor Sarah. I said that already, didn't I?

I think 'poor Sarah' is about the only thing I can think of that sums up this book. We knew from her blog she wasn't a gifted writer. Yet writing was the only avenue she is allowed. (It would be like be me forced to be a mathematician. Or a shy person forced to be a public speaker) It doesn't naturally fit.

If and when I finish reading this thing, I may have to leave a gently critical review on Amazon, provided I can figure out a way to walk the line between offering Sarah some genuine, meaningful feedback and giving Steve a total FU on a forum he can't control or edit. I don't want to be needlessly cruel to Sarah, especially since this is her main outlet and its quality isn't really her fault, but I can't let those five-star reviews go completely unchallenged either...

If and when I finish reading this thing, I may have to leave a gently critical review on Amazon, provided I can figure out a way to walk the line between offering Sarah some genuine, meaningful feedback and giving Steve a total FU on a forum he can't control or edit. I don't want to be needlessly cruel to Sarah, especially since this is her main outlet and its quality isn't really her fault, but I can't let those five-star reviews go completely unchallenged either...

I am too but I'm trying to figure out a nice way to say that this book is horrible. I don't know if Steve allows Sarah to read the Amazon reviews but I don't want to be mean to her. My oldest daughter loves to read, she will read anything. I gave her this yesterday and she came back 20 minutes later and asked if she had to read it because she didn't like it. She couldn't understand why instead of just getting to make cookies with the mom the one girl had to start a business or why the dad and the one son couldn't build a tree house. She was also confused about all the Bible time.

ETA: Her suggestion that was maybe instead of selling cookies the daughter could make cookies and go visit all the neighbors to give them some.

Here it is:

[attachment=0]Capture.JPG[/attachment]

Was this really necessary? Sarah can't help it. I would hate for her to see that. It is just unhelpful and mean. Go kick some puppies and drown some kittens while you are at it.

Archived