IGNORED

Get your FFRREEEEE Moody book......

Justme

The review was NOT constructive. It was sarcastic and likely written by someone here to be mean. It read as condescending and mean spirited. The points covered in the "review" were exactly what is covered here all the time. Sarah is not an adult. She cannot even go to the store by herself. I just think it is very cruel to attack the one thing the poor girl has for herself.

Everyone should go leave those kinds of reviews on Steve and Teri's books. Sarah is a victim.

The thing is........Sarah IS an adult. Legally she is an adult. If she were to (hypothetically) commit a crime, she would be treated as an adult. If she were to be admitted to a hospital (again, hypothetical), she would be treated as an adult, etc.

Yes, it is Stevehovah's and Teri's fault that she cannot handle bad reviews. But it doesn't negate the fact that she is a 30-something woman whose book is available for purchase and review on Amazon.

Whether or not you agree with the person who left a 1-star review of her book is beside the point. (It may have been an FJer, it may have been a copycat lurker). The point is, there are assholes on the internet. People say mean things sometimes. Most people realize that and deal with it the best way they know how. Unfortunately for Sarah, her parents have sheltered her so completely that a sarcastic review of her book would most likely crush her because she is not mature or experienced enough to handle it.

On the flip side......Fortunately for Sarah, there is very little chance she will ever see this or any other negative/sarcastic review of her books or her writing style. She only sees rainbows and lollipops and her book being at the top of a list.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree that constructive criticism is good and definitely needed. I mean, let's be real: the book is a disaster and wildly out of touch. If someone leaves a review that's actually constructive, I'm all for it. The reviews that are there now are pretty much either completely positive from leghumping friends, or completely negative without any real constructive advice involved. Sarah is an adult, and negative reviews are a consequence of putting an item out for public consumption. As a society, we'd get nowhere if we didn't take criticism and learn from it. But there isn't much to learn if the reviews don't say what needs to be improved.

What I am not in support of is if the reviewer is just using the feature to try to get through to her or to be harsh for the sake of driving Steve nuts. The vibe I got (and maybe it was just me) from the negative reviews was that they were very much more pointed at Sarah's personal life experience than her actual book, which I don't think was helpful. I want her to be able to walk free as much as anybody else, but I don't think unnecessarily harsh or pointed reviews will do anything other than send her running back to her father. I also think it would be a shame if Steve thinks negative posts are coming from FJ and pulls Sarah's book. I would hate for her to lose something she likes and takes pride in doing, whether I think the writing is terrible or not.

On a related note, she now has a secondary market of used book sales for the physical book. Interesting!

ETA: The 2-star review someone just posted is way more up my understanding of constructive criticism than the other negative reviews.

Do read Steve's reply to the review. It's kind of stunning in it's arrogance.

I strongly suspect that Sarah will never, ever read the feedback. Steve will answer it all for her and show the world his ass while doing so.

Classic Steve. As Sarah discloses in the preface, the "excellent professional proofreaders" are none other than Steve, Teri and Christopher Maxwell. Sorry Steve, it would take too long to edit the book for you unless you pay me some cold hard cash. I'm not even a "professional editor" but these corrections to your Amazon comments might give you a clue.

Thank you for letting us know that you discovered grammatical errors in the text. We would be very grateful if you would kindly let us know to what you are referring to and the page on which you found iton. (One or two examples would really help us.)

We have been blessed with excellent professional proofreaders on all Titus2 books. I'm sure they would like to investigate the specific issue(s) to which you are referring to and, if necessary, correct them in for the next edition.

As far as Sarah's book in concerned, I do think she shows some sparks of talent and even humor. It is partly that her subject matter is so deadly dull. I will try to leave a constructive comment on Amazon.

However, this is for Steve. Sarah's writing style is awful because she has not been encouraged to read widely and she has been badly taught. It is not her fault. Let her take some creative writing classes - even over the internet.

I'll give you a few more hints on why Sarah's writing is bad for free. No page numbers because I can't be bothered:

- What are "scenery pictures?" Could Sarah be referring to landscapes pictures as opposed to portraits? Pictures of scenery would make better sense. Or does that Assisted Living have murals?

- When the animal catcher gets out of his truck, he should "climb" or perhaps even the more arcane "clamber." Instead he "clamored" which means a loud and confused noise. But then he "drawls" his folksy greeting. That attempt at vernacular is painful, BTW.

And a challenge for professional editor, Steve. What is wrong with the sentence in red below?

When Teri Emily runs downstairs on hearing Mrs. Baker scream she: "... saw the makeshift cardboard gate and managed to take a flying leap to clear it. With a thud, she stood still for a moment, catching her balance as all eyes turned to her.

"

No, these aren't the only errors I found in the first 6 chapters, just the ones that amused me. I was scrolling in the dentist's office before my appointment. The first time I've ever been happy to get called in to see the dentist!

Interestinf... My paper copy has the older illustrations, whereas this version has the newer ones. I don't have my paper copy with me, but if I did it would be interesting to compare.

I might leave a review in which I try to be kind, while still pointing out the problems. I can put on my christian hat so it doesn't seem like I'm criticizing the "godliness" thereof.

I read the preface and part of chapter 1 this morning on the bus. I'm already bored, but I'm going to plow through it anyway, mostly for my fanfiction project, but also because I'm morbidly curious.

Interestinf... My paper copy has the older illustrations, whereas this version has the newer ones. I don't have my paper copy with me, but if I did it would be interesting to compare.

I might leave a review in which I try to be kind, while still pointing out the problems. I can put on my christian hat so it doesn't seem like I'm criticizing the "godliness" thereof.

I read the preface and part of chapter 1 this morning on the bus. I'm already bored, but I'm going to plow through it anyway, mostly for my fanfiction project, but also because I'm morbidly curious.

Yeah, what were so bad about Grandma's illustrations that they had to be replaced?

Yeah, what were so bad about Grandma's illustrations that they had to be replaced?

Perhaps Grandma strayed from the fold and Steve had to pull her illustrations because their creator was not godly enough?

Constructive or not, the only way Steve would accept criticism of any sort and take it to heart would be if it came from someone he admired and respected, and that would be…no one. As far as he's concerned, any naysayers (and we're STILL waiting for part 2 of your naysayers post, Steve) merely show how RIGHT he is. The more haters the better. It means that Satan is pissed.

I've bought all of my Maxwell books used on either Amazon or Ebay for pennies on the dollar. Sometimes the shipping is more than the cost of the book. The Maxwells don't get a dime.

Constructive or not, the only way Steve would accept criticism of any sort and take it to heart would be if it came from someone he admired and respected, and that would be…no one. As far as he's concerned, any naysayers (and we're STILL waiting for part 2 of your naysayers post, Steve) merely show how RIGHT he is. The more haters the better. It means that Satan is pissed.

I've bought all of my Maxwell books used on either Amazon or Ebay for pennies on the dollar. Sometimes the shipping is more than the cost of the book. The Maxwells don't get a dime.

So I guess that leaves no room for Steve to be wrong or sinful. Since Steve can't sin, he must be Jesus. You guyyyzzzz, Jesus has come back to Earth. Take Steve's hand and get ready for the rapture! Don't want to get left behind.

So I guess that leaves no room for Steve to be wrong or sinful. Since Steve can't sin, he must be Jesus. You guyyyzzzz, Jesus has come back to Earth. Take Steve's hand and get ready for the rapture! Don't want to get left behind.

Oh puhlease. Jesus ain't got nuthin' on Stevehovah Maxwell.

I agree the two star from WhoopiFan is a good example of pertinent criticism. Knowing the Maxwells, this jumped out at me:

It didn't appear that the kids had many toys or friends their age, which is odd especially for being kids. Since it's "real life" you'd think they would mention going to the park, getting dinner at grandma's house, going on vacations and swimming in the ocean, spying on adults, playing in the backyard or a creek with neighbor kids or spending time with friends. In this book, children are hard at work most of the time and have stilted conversations with adults

I haven't been able to get through the whole book yet but when I finish it I will most definitely leave a review. I've bought hundreds of books from Amazon and review them occasionally, usually when a book has few helpful reviews. These Moody books seem to have mostly non-critical reviews and I hate to think of all the unsuspecting children who receive them as gifts simply because their parents assume that anything published must be professionally written.

This part of a review stuck out to me as something I also noticed:

My son would not know what evangelical or conservative meant, even if I tried to explain it. He's 8. He's a kid.

I've always been a little confused as to what age level the Moody books are aimed for. The plots, such as they are, wouldn't hold the attention of anyone but a very beginning reader, but most of the language would go way over the heads of most elementary schoolers.

I've read about 5 chapters of the book so far (not very closely), and it's not actually quite as bad as I was expecting. I haven't noticed too many glaring grammatical errors, but it's just really hard to get through all the weirdly-parsed sentences and awkward, stilted phrasing. I don't know how you could edit these books or even write constructive criticism of them, honestly. It'd be like trying to explain impressionism to Honey the dog. There is nothing that Sarah could do to make them better except go out and read children's books that don't suck, and revamp her writing style from the ground up :|

I assumed she was writing because it was what she wanted. If Steve is making her do it, and there is enough attention paid to the sad education he gives his kids, maybe he'll let her stop.

Man, I feel sorry for her. I can't read their blog... it's just so dismal.

OK guys, I just checked the Tits2 blog.... and the fact that it is the number 1 downloaded kids' book or whatever HAS BEEN MENTIONED ON THE BLOG. Sarah writes that this is 'proof' that the blog readers love the Moodys.

Poor girl has NO idea.

Ouch...

I wonder what Steve tells her about what people think of her book. It seems cruel to set her up to fail by telling her she is good when it really is not, and then actually selling it on Amazon and opening her up to negative reviews.

That is really sad in a way, that its all out of curiosity and pity, but I hope it made her smile. Until she realises she is happy and proud of herself, realises pride is a sin, and then starts crying and praying for forgiveness.

I think it's incredibly sad that Sarah thinks her books are good, and that this particular book has made it to #1 for that reason.

I, too feel sorry for her. If only she knew her book was #1 because people are actually making fun of it. At first this was amusing to me, but seriously (no pun intended), this whole situation is really awkward now. Thinking about it, Sarah is the only one that DOESN'T know. Yikes.

I don't think it's harsh, so much as I think it was just more pointedly about her upbringing than her actual writing.

And absolutely she should expect feedback. I think it would be unfortunate if FJ were to provide the negative feedback in a biased mad rush rather than letting it happen organically from other readers who haven't had the (mis)fortunate of being exposed to Stevehovah's insanity. The promotion to top selling children's ebooks already wasn't organic since we had such an interest in it (guilty!).

I think it's possible they honestly believe a child wrote it. It isn't uncommon for parents, blinded by pride, to let their children self-publish or the like. (Remember Friday, Friday gotta get down on Friday?)

Also, Majorie Jackson self published at 17. It's certainly common now a days so I don't think it was meant to insult Sarah as an adult or have extra layers of snark.

The review was NOT constructive. It was sarcastic and likely written by someone here to be mean. It read as condescending and mean spirited. The points covered in the "review" were exactly what is covered here all the time. Sarah is not an adult. She cannot even go to the store by herself. I just think it is very cruel to attack the one thing the poor girl has for herself.

Everyone should go leave those kinds of reviews on Steve and Teri's books. Sarah is a victim.

You do realize that Amazon is the biggest online retailer in the world, and anything there that reaches #1 in a specific niche gets international attention, don't you? More people know what a Kindle is than know who Sarah Maxwell is. When people worldwide are browsing the #1 book in the Kindle category and see her name, they have no clue who she is.

I just read all the reviews. The bad reviews are spot on. She really does write like a kid. My adult children don't write like that. The book was terrible. I had trouble following along.

Steve Maxwell responded to one of the comments by the way.

This part of a review stuck out to me as something I also noticed:

I've always been a little confused as to what age level the Moody books are aimed for. The plots, such as they are, wouldn't hold the attention of anyone but a very beginning reader, but most of the language would go way over the heads of most elementary schoolers.

I've read about 5 chapters of the book so far (not very closely), and it's not actually quite as bad as I was expecting. I haven't noticed too many glaring grammatical errors, but it's just really hard to get through all the weirdly-parsed sentences and awkward, stilted phrasing. I don't know how you could edit these books or even write constructive criticism of them, honestly. It'd be like trying to explain impressionism to Honey the dog. There is nothing that Sarah could do to make them better except go out and read children's books that don't suck, and revamp her writing style from the ground up :|

According to the video on the product page (titus2.com/book-1-summer-with-the-moodys.html), she says the books are geared at children from the age of 7 to the "early teens" :pink-shock:

On another note, now is probably the only opportunity that FJ'ers can say what they feel to Steve Maxwell without him being able to censor. He posted on those comments and will get notifications of responses. It will be out there for the whole world to see. I am debating giving him a piece of my mind.

I always read the reviews on anything I'm getting from Amazon so I can make a good choice on which book/brand/model/whatever to get. I consider the reviews as written for other would-be customers, not the author. I would be pissed if I spent actual money for this book because people didn't leave honest reviews.

Perhaps Grandma strayed from the fold and Steve had to pull her illustrations because their creator was not godly enough?

Grandma (Steve's Mom) died about a year ago. Prior, she was in a nursing home suffering from Alzheimer's.

I think it's possible they honestly believe a child wrote it. It isn't uncommon for parents, blinded by pride, to let their children self-publish or the like. (Remember Friday, Friday gotta get down on Friday?)

Also, Majorie Jackson self published at 17. It's certainly common now a days so I don't think it was meant to insult Sarah as an adult or have extra layers of snark.

Too many of the points the review writer made are things FJ says over and over- let your kids read, written by a child, etc. It is also not obvious these are self published and the reviewer references that. The Maxwells list the book as published by Titus2/Communications Concepts. There are also hard copies - unlike Grace Pennington's self-published work, the Maxwells take great pain to make it look like a publishing house. Sarah's forward in the book certainly does not make her sound like a child. And of course the self-publishing comment was a dig. It was written to be a dig!

On another note, now is probably the only opportunity that FJ'ers can say what they feel to Steve Maxwell without him being able to censor. He posted on those comments and will get notifications of responses. It will be out there for the whole world to see. I am debating giving him a piece of my mind.

Go for it. But did you notice he replied with the exact same comment to both?

I don't recall exactly, but I think Steve had a theological difference with gigi and that is why the illustrations were redacted. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

You do realize that Amazon is the biggest online retailer in the world, and anything there that reaches #1 in a specific niche gets international attention, don't you? More people know what a Kindle is than know who Sarah Maxwell is. When people worldwide are browsing the #1 book in the Kindle category and see her name, they have no clue who she is.

I just read all the reviews. The bad reviews are spot on. She really does write like a kid. My adult children don't write like that. The book was terrible. I had trouble following along.

Steve Maxwell responded to one of the comments by the way.

I don't think it matters if it is constructive or not. We are not talking criticizing a child who is selling lemonade in their front yard. Sarah is an adult who is advertising a product on a large corporate internet site. If you bought any product on amazon that turned out to be horrible you would write a bad review. You wouldn't think twice about posting an honest and bad review. Just because we know Sarah hasn't been given the chance to learn to write, doesn't mean she doesn't deserve bad reviews. She has a bad product and if she chooses to put it on amazon she has to accept honest reviews. When I finish the book I may choose to review it in a nicer way- because that is my personality- but I don't think anyone who chooses to post a brutally honest review should be ashamed.

I don't recall exactly, but I think Steve had a theological difference with gigi and that is why the illustrations were redacted. I could be wrong but I don't think I am.

Gigi is Teri's Mom. She lives next door.

Grandma was Steve's Mom. She was the illastraitor.

Archived