IGNORED

Get your FFRREEEEE Moody book......

Justme

Agreed and it's a selfishness naturally born out of such insularity. The feelings of people outside the cult family do not matter.

It's also telling in another way. That if a similar thing occurred in the Maxhell household, the first worry would be how one of the parents will deal with this. Rather telling of the fear the kids must live with; how Mom and Dad will react if anything goes wrong. And we know from eyewitness reports at conferences that Steveovah very obviously doesn't like it when things go awry and not to plan. Also how family members get pretty flustered as well. There must be a lot of fear in that house.

no kidding.

Thinking that their hair-trigger parents have all the authority and legitimacy of the Word of God.

• Replies 590
  • Created
  • Last Reply

no kidding.

Thinking that their hair-trigger parents have all the authority and legitimacy of the Word of God.

Very scary indeed. I can't imagine the fear that overtakes one of those kids if one of them happens to make a mistake or have some sort of mishap. That they truly face the God's wrath in the form of their easily angered parent and that they will go to hell. :shock:

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to finish the book. Somebody tell me if they get a dog and baby at the end.

I can't download it in the UK. Can't decide whether to be disappointed or relieved...

janetlansbury.com/2011/05/should-we-share-our-feelings-with-babies/

This blog post came up in my FB newsfeed this morning and is a really good answer to that household fear the Maxwell kids have to face. Basically, it's about parenting in a way that kids know their parents are also flawed humans and have feelings. A relationship based on trust and treating each other with mutual respect.

I really doubt that Steve, for whatever reason, can let go of his parental authority enough to be that vulnerable. At the most, his kids might just get an: "I was wrong but since i'm your authority from God, the mistakes I made were still God's best for you." :pull-hair:

I'm not sure I'm going to be able to finish the book. Somebody tell me if they get a dog and baby at the end.

I flipped to the end because I just couldn't stand the suspense. /sarcasm.

Yes.

Several of the reviews mention that Mr Moody is a real asshole. Can someone please share some examples? I'm curious.

There has not really been a huge flood of negative reviews which tells me two things:

1. The average FJ member who downloaded this book is the sort of person who won't leave a review unless they actually read the book.

2. The average FJ member is struggling to read this book.

VodueDoll, I didn't make it far into the book a man tells the kids he likes to be called by his first name and Mr. Moody is all "fuck what you want it is all about what I want and I want my kids to call you Mr. (whatever his last name was)" except he said it in snooty, godly, Maxwell talk.

I think the fact that STEVE is the one responding to comments about SARAH's work speaks volumes.

Alright, my notes so far and in no particular order:

Summer with the moodys

Notes

1. I really wanted to know why the father used metal trash cans instead of “quieter plastic ones like his neighbors.†thank you so very much for explaining that to me.

2. So, Sharon just offers to let the Moodys, whom she's never met before, dogsit Honey, without clearing it with Honey's owner first? My god, at least the Moodys go to the nursing home to ask her. Good lord.

3. Mitch decided she was probably the receptionist... Mollie noted that it was room 124... wow gee, I had no idea the person behind the front desk was the receptionist. I thought she was the one who mowed the lawn.

Also, it is really important to know that whatshername is in room 124. I'm sure it'll be very relevent to the plot later...

4. The book assumes we know songs we don't. I know “Good morning to you,†because we used to sing it in Sabbath school, but what kind of song is “Praise the Lord?†I'm sure there are like, a thousand songs with that title. WHAT SONG IS MOLLIE SINGING AS SHE DOES DISHSES?

5. Dear Mr. Moody, cinnamon rolls are not a good breakfast unless you want your kids bouncing off the walls for the next 5 hours. Love, someone who bounced off the wall A LOT as a kid at summer camp.

6. Is there a reason why Mrs. Moody has her Bible time alone in her room while the rest of the family has theirs downstairs in the living room? That just seemed really weird to me.

7. Ice cubes in orange juice? Why couldn't they have just pulled the container out of the refrigerator? I know not everyone keeps their juice in the fridge before opening it, but if you know you're going to be using it in a few hours, it's not that hard to make room and pop it in there real quick so the juice can be cold by the time you're ready to eat. On second thought, nevermind, we really DON'T need 2 paragraphs on why the juice was cold, just as we also don't need to know they put ice cubes in the orange juice.

8. Wait... why is it MOLLIE'S job to get Maddie dressed? That sounds like a job for.... EMILY, the parent.

9. Dear Steve, Following is spelled with one “W,†not two. I don't have page numbers because this is the kindle edition, but it is in the chapter where they are making cinnamon rolls.

Actually, I think I'm just going to send that one directly to him before I post these notes.

10. Maddie asks if Generic M'boy will open her “doie.†It took me a good minute to figure out this meant “door.â€

11. Apparently, the car door is already open. Then why the fuck would she ask him to open it for her? She's 3 years old, not stupid, jeez.

12. Boy, they sure do make Mollie look selfish for not wanting to share her seat in the car with “a sixty five pound furball.â€

Well, yeah..... if the dog is too big to sit on the seat beside me,the dog is too big. Iewfjijsdsjldsfkl

13. Girls, you may pick the flowers growing along the driveway, but not the ones by the porch, those ones aren't for picking.

Generic not moody lady after returning home: Where are all the lovely flowers I had planted along the driveway?!

14. I've decided Maddie's dialect is so annoying that I can't deal with it. I've never met a three year old who talked that way. I'm going to pretend she's been adopted from a foreign country and therefore has trouble with the letter R. I pick China, I studied a bit of Mandarin, and the R and W are almost the same sound, so this would make sense if Maddie is Chinese. Yes, yes that is my pet theory, because it makes the story more interesting.

15. I'm too lazy to go back and cheeck how old Mollie is. Less than 12, more than 8.... I'm gonna guess 10. That letter from the health department was totally written in a language she could understand, and yet she has to ask dad what the letter means.

Also, laws might have been different since Sarah wrote this, and if I'm not double checking mollie's age I'm REALLY not checking the copyright date, but, don't you need an inspection by the health department in order to sell any baked goods? Did sarah actually do “research†on this or did she just guess?

16. Dear Poor Sarah,

Manna does not mean “bread.†It means, “What is it?†The Israelites called it that because they didn't know what the fuck it was either.

One more thought: In what freaking universe do children given water balloons voluntarily stand in a circle and play catch with them trying not to break them? :doh:

Alright, I am having way too much fun with this. I decided to write a scene in this book from the perspective of somebody else. Here's the original scene in the book:

Mollie had the idea to wear matching outfits. The boys wore khaki pants with red polo shirts and the girls wore khaki skirts with red tops. The whole family went, but Dad, Mom, Mollie , and Maddie stayed on the sidewalk while Max and Mitch went to the door.

At the first house, Mitch rang the doorbell, and Max held the flyers.

They were both a little nervous. Out of the corner of their eye, they saw a curtain slowly lift up in the front window, and when they turned to look, it dropped. Mitch whispered to Max, “It feels strange to just stand here. Do you think someone will answer the door or should we leave?â€

Max shrugged his shoulders. “I don’t know. Let’s wait a minute more.†Both boys were surprised when they heard footsteps as though someone were coming. The door opened, and an elderly lady’s head, covered in giant curlers, peeked out.

“Hi, boys. What have you there?†she asked, pointing to the flyers.

“We are handing out some flyers. We have a pet-sitting business and my sister has a baking business,†Max said respectfully. “Here you go. The flyer will explain more.â€

The lady took the offered paper and held it up so she could read it. Her voice softened. “Well, you seem like an industrious set of entrepreneurs! I will definitely keep your services in mind should I need them, which I’m quite sure I will.â€

Max beamed. “Thank you, ma’am!â€

“You’re welcome. By the way, my name is Maud Bagwell.†“Mrs. Bagwell, it’s a pleasure to meet you,†Max agreed.

All the other deliveries went smoothly—except for a slight mishap. At one house, no one answered, so Max stuck a flyer in the storm door. For some reason, Mitch was peering over Max’s shoulder, so when Max turned around in a hurry to leave, he knocked Mitch over. Mitch was fine, but he decided he would not stand so close to Max next time.

Maxwell, Sarah (2013-01-23). Summer with the Moodys (Moody Family Series Book 1) (Kindle Locations 400-402). Communication Concepts, Inc.. Kindle Edition.

Here's my rewrite.

Ding-dong!

Alexa looked up from her textbook. That couldn't be cousin Jane already, she'd never get up this early. As long as whoever it is doesn't wake--

A loud moan came from the other room.

--Grandma. Alexa thought, as the dog, Nox, began to bark incessantly.

“It's ok grandma,†Alexa sighed, closing her paramedic's textbook and standing up. “I'll get it, you stay in bed.â€

Alexa went over to one of the windows and slowly pulled back the jet black curtains. Two adults and 4 children stood on the front porch, all dressed in red and khaki. Alexa let the curtain fall quickly. What the--

Alexa's grandma, still in her bathrobe and curlers, shuffled up beside Alexa, yawning sleepily. The dog whined at her ankles, no doubt wanting to go for a morning constitutional.

“Who is it, honey?â€

“I don't know gran. These weird people dressed all alike in red khaki, and smiling. They're either 6 months early for Christmas carols, or Jehovah's Witness or...†Or random weird crazy people knocking on our door at way too early o'clock Alexa thought angrily. Thank you for waking my grandmother who is supposed to be resting. Can't this wait till noon? Idiots.

Grandma Maude sighed. “I think they're the Moody family that lives down the street. They're a little strange.... anyway, we have to open the door now. I think the littlest one saw you.†Grandma Maude opened the door.

“Hi boys,†she said pleasantly as possible for someone woken up too early. “What have you there?†She asked, pointing to the flyers.

“We are handing out some flyers. We have a pet sitting business and my sister has a baking business.†The older looking boy said robotically. “Here you go, the flyer will explain more.â€

Grandma Maude took the flyer and held it up so she could read it.

MOODY'S PAMPERED PETS

Going on a trip and can't take your pet? Want your pet to have friendly care? We will watch them at our house. We can handle any type of pet (no snakes, please.) Affordable pricing. For more details, please call (931) 555-0392 and ask for Max.

Well, thought grandma Maude sarcastically, that does certainly have more details than what the young man just told me....

“Well,†she said out loud, “you certainly seem like.... an industrious pair of entrepreneurs.†The family stood on the doorstep, smiling and blinking. Grandma Maude laid the paper on the table by the door. “I will definitely keep your services in mind, should I need them.†She paused. “Which I'm quite sure I will,†she said, in a voice that indicated that she certainly would not.

Alexa, having read the flyer over her grandmother's shoulder, had quickly grabbed the dog and relocated her to the bathroom so that the scary lookalike family couldn't see her. I don't know why, but I wouldn't trust them to look after a pet worm. Grandma better not go calling them when we go on vacation next week!

Normally Alexa wouldn't worry about it, but her grandmother had just had back surgery and was on all kinds of medications that clouded her ability to think. Which is why I shouldn't leave her alone with them... what if she gives them money? Alexa slammed the door of the bathroom, causing the obnoxious puppy to hit her head trying to follow Alexa, who paid her no attention and hurried back to the front door.

“Thank you ma'am!†the older boy was saying, smiling even bigger than before, if that was possible.

“You're welcome. By the way, my name is Marple. Miss Jane Marple.â€

“Miss Marple,†said Max with a straight face. “It is a pleasure to meet you.†The oldest boy turned to go, bumping into his younger brother, who had been standing too close. The younger boy fell off the porch.

“Mitch!†Cried the father, “are you ok?â€

Oh please don't let anything be broken, thought Maude, I don't wanna deal with the paperwork. I'm so tired, I'm going to go lie down.

Mitch picked himself up, wincing. “I'm alright.â€

“Next time,†said Mr. Moody, “be careful not to stand too close to your older brother.â€

“Yes father,†replied Mitch.

As the weird family went off down the driveway, Maude closed the door and Alexa burst out laughing. “Miss Marple? Oh grandma! What were you thinking?â€

“I'm thinking that if I laugh any harder, I'm going to bust one of these stitches and wind up back in the hospital.â€

“Do you think they were keeping a straight face to be polite, or did they really not get the reference?â€

Grandma laughed. “I don't know Alexa, but one thing's for sure, I'm not trusting my little Nox to a bunch of strangers, especially when children under 13 would be responsible.†She picked up the flyer and handed it to Alexa. “Here dear, you can use this to clean out the cat's litterbox for me. I'd do it myself, but--â€

“No grandma, you go back to bed.†Alexa took the flyer. “I'll go make sure this is put in a very safe place.â€

I cannot keep reading. It is almost physically painful. I will normally read everything and anything, whether it's my thing or not. But this isn't reading. It's a bunch of unrelated words and thoughts strung together with an agenda. If nothing else I figured I'd get a good laugh and great snark material. No go.

One more thought: In what freaking universe do children given water balloons voluntarily stand in a circle and play catch with them trying not to break them? :doh:

Only if they're promised large amount of candy for being the last one with an intact balloon!

Only if they're promised large amount of candy for being the last one with an intact balloon!

Why am I getting a visual of the Maxwell children standing around in a circle playing water balloons with condoms instead of balloons? They would have no idea what they were, which would be hilarious to watch. Maybe Christopher could even make an animal or two!

Why am I getting a visual of the Maxwell children standing around in a circle playing water balloons with condoms instead of balloons? They would have no idea what they were, which would be hilarious to watch. Maybe Christopher could even make an animal or two!

OMG, I just remembered that post about learning to make balloon animals before they went to the state fair last summer.

Some of those animals were...well, quite phallic appearing as I recall.

Count me among those struggling to get through this book. I normally read short kid-lit books in 1-2 sittings, but it really is very boring so it's a bit at a time and I'm not running back to it every day.

Also, the lack of plot makes it difficult to jump back into the story. Normally when you pick up a book again, the characters have just entered a cave or something and there was a stream of relevant events leading up to it that you immediately recall. When I pick up the Moody book, they're at home about to eat/ have just eaten a meal then have family bible time afterward and it's indistinguishable from any other time they've done those things. I can't recall where I was in the 'story' so I have to go back and skim the previous chapter. By the time I'm done reading one new chapter I'm thinking about doing other things or its made me sleepy enough to go to bed for the night.

I do plan on leaving an honest review when I finally finish it.

OMG, I just remembered that post about learning to make balloon animals before they went to the state fair last summer.

Some of those animals were...well, quite phallic appearing as I recall.

Might you have a link to said phallic balloons?

Back to the Special Lunch Meat[tm][/tm]: I got a major PTSD flash from that. Ex-Mr.-Hane-#2 used to buy himself slices of honey ham at the deli counter for his brown bag lunches. He allocated exactly X number of slices per sandwich per week. No one else was allowed to touch it. Once, when I was doing the grocery shopping on my own, he asked me to ask for exactly 18 slices of ham. I replied, "I'll be goddamned if I do that--it's embarrassing enough to have to buy Alpha-Bits cereal for a grown man." Then I went batshit crazy and bought a pound of uncounted sliced ham. (I know it's unkind to speak ill of the dead, but in his case, it can be far too tempting.)

Yeah, I don't like it.

The fact that it is signed by Laura M (unck?..) gives away that it is a cheap dig.

I prefer my snark with a side order of honesty and hilarity. ;)

That would be amazing :D Too bad Steve would know what they were, and put a stop to it, so we don't have a whole blog post dedicated to "Me, Anna and John were blessed to find a precious amazing gift in our neighbour's trash because the neighbour's dog escaped as they left the door open and it got out and knocked it over. We were purposed to pick up the balloons. They were the strangest balloons I had ever seen, but God laid it on our hearts to fill them up with water. We played a game with them by throwing them to eachother and trying to catch them....." with a load of pictures of deranged 18-33 year old "children" smiling robotically and innocently playing with condoms.

blog.titus2.com/category/evangelism/

Thanks ladyamylynn. The July 29th post, "Balloons Everywhere" is particularly interesting.

Archived