IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 10

happy atheist

That home is a dump- or they would have shown some of those luxury features. last sold 9/11 for $ 25,000.

That's the point; Josh's new purchase is a dump, too. They'll probably call the Benham brothers to help fix them up and flip them. /conspiracy theory, but not really ;)

ETA Jill's house was a dump before they fixed it up. This is Jim Bob's business (and how the boys spend their time outside the TTH, imo).

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know much about real estate or Zillow so why does Zillow list the property as worth $700,000 when JB cut the price in half to $237,000 and still couldn't sell it. Plus the tax assessment is $135,000 which is pretty far off the asking price. It's also interesting to me to compare the tax assessment vs. the actual purchase price down through the years:

2006: sold $100,000 / assessed at $140,000

2009: assessed at $167,000

2011: Sold $25,000 / assessed at $138,000

I'm guessing that 2011 sale price was a foreclosure auction right after the great economic meltdown.

I don't know much about real estate or Zillow so why does Zillow list the property as worth $700,000 when JB cut the price in half to $237,000 and still couldn't sell it. Plus the tax assessment is $135,000 which is pretty far off the asking price. It's also interesting to me to compare the tax assessment vs. the actual purchase price down through the years:

2006: sold $100,000 / assessed at $140,000

2009: assessed at $167,000

2011: Sold $25,000 / assessed at $138,000

I'm guessing that 2011 sale price was a foreclosure auction right after the great economic meltdown.

Yes to all of this. The purchase history of Jill's house is remarkably similar. I haven't looked at the actual numbers in a long time, but I think he bought it for something like 90% off. JB mostly deals in commercial real estate; maybe that's why his residential efforts have flopped? I know bupkis about real estate investing.

That's the point; Josh's new purchase is a dump, too. They'll probably call the Benham brothers to help fix them up and flip them. /conspiracy theory, but not really ;)

ETA Jill's house was a dump before they fixed it up. This is Jim Bob's business (and how the boys spend their time outside the TTH, imo).

This is Lazy JB et al in Duggarville we are talking about. I wonder what the home looks like today? He's owned it for 3.5 years. Did he fix it up and maintain it?

It's only really a business if money is being made...it seems JB has trouble with the flipping part.

This is Lazy JB et al in Duggarville we are talking about. I wonder what the home looks like today? He's owned it for 3.5 years. Did he fix it up and maintain it?

It's only really a business if money is being made...it seems JB has trouble with the flipping part.

Agree. I wouldn't be so fixated (am I coming across as fixated? probably. lol) if we hadn't watched them rehab Jill's house on the show. I don't remember now, but I think all the copper had been ripped out of the walls? And we figured out Jill's house was the cat house from the show here first.

And because it's funny to me, look at this new (to us) house from satellite view; it's a perfect circle! :cracking-up:

8r2O1Dxh.jpg

@ClaraOswin: tinker toy house

I really wonder how that man ever makes any money off his real estate deals. I mean, he basically let Josh and Anna's old house rot ever since they moved out. It's only been, what, less than two years since they moved to D.C. and the house was gross. So much mold and everything... yikes. Even if he couldn't find tenants (which I doubt he even tried), why didn't JB keep the house up as a guest house? Josh and Anna visit all the time and I'm sure they have more guests who would appreciate the comforts of a guest house.That way, at least the house would have been inhabitable when Jessa and Ben wanted to move in, and wouldn't have needed to be completely renovated.

Dumb question...what does TTH stand for?

"Tinker Toy House" In reference to the fact that the Duggar home was made by combining a a few house sets (You can buy a preplanned house in pieces and assemble the house yourself).

I really wonder how that man ever makes any money off his real estate deals. I mean, he basically let Josh and Anna's old house rot ever since they moved out. It's only been, what, less than two years since they moved to D.C. and the house was gross. So much mold and everything... yikes. Even if he couldn't find tenants (which I doubt he even tried), why didn't JB keep the house up as a guest house? Josh and Anna visit all the time and I'm sure they have more guests who would appreciate the comforts of a guest house.That way, at least the house would have been inhabitable when Jessa and Ben wanted to move in, and wouldn't have needed to be completely renovated.

Maybe JB's reputation as a savvy businessman has been overblown. It's possible he made some good money in real estate during the real estate boom. Then the financial melt-down happened, bottom dropped out of real estate. Now perhaps we're seeing a more realistic portrayal of JB's actual business acumen.

JB is cheap, cheap, cheap. Which is probably why he just let Josh and Anna's old house sit, uncared for. I'm not sure why he wouldn't have tried to rent it out, unless he expected that Josh wouldn't last long in D.C.? Why not go over to the house once a week to check on it, run the heat, run the water, water and mow the lawns, make sure everything is in good condition. If there's a problem, you catch it early and it costs less to repair than letting the small problem become a big one.

That home is a dump- or they would have shown some of those luxury features. last sold 9/11 for $ 25,000.

On 2+ acres and 10,000 square feet????? Ye gods.

Why don't they like to get their hair cut? Is it a religious thing or what?

And Michelle saying the little ones would get tangled in the necklace or whatever. Ha...as if her little ones are ever near her!

Apparently, Daddy and Got-hard like long hair on their wimmens.

Basically.

The party line (although I'm not sure they've directly addressed their hair.) is along the lines of "drawing attention to their countenance" because hair frames the face. Michelle has said that she styles her hair the way she does because Jim Bob likes it that way.

The FJ consensus is that it is because of Gothard, their religious leader. Her dictates that women should have long curly hair.

They've kind of stepped away from the crunchy curls though (the girls used to perm their hair at home)

Maybe JB's reputation as a savvy businessman has been overblown. It's possible he made some good money in real estate during the real estate boom. Then the financial melt-down happened, bottom dropped out of real estate. Now perhaps we're seeing a more realistic portrayal of JB's actual business acumen.

JB is cheap, cheap, cheap. Which is probably why he just let Josh and Anna's old house sit, uncared for. I'm not sure why he wouldn't have tried to rent it out, unless he expected that Josh wouldn't last long in D.C.? Why not go over to the house once a week to check on it, run the heat, run the water, water and mow the lawns, make sure everything is in good condition. If there's a problem, you catch it early and it costs less to repair than letting the small problem become a big one.

I think JB's real talent lies in commercial real estate. That's where to big money is and it's very different than residential real estate. He probably has bought some homes, thanks to the market fall out, thinking he could flip them or have them for his kids as they married. I'm thinking he's found out homes are much harder to off load than a warehouse.

Does anybody have information on Cathy Byrum's second husband. FJ newbies need some education over in the "Dan Dillard" thread.

Some leghumper came here a while back claiming he rented that house for a time. I don't know if I believe it or not; he did mention a mold problem. Jim Bob is a terrible landlord if he's renting moldy houses.

Some leghumper came here a while back claiming he rented that house for a time. I don't know if I believe it or not; he did mention a mold problem. Jim Bob is a terrible landlord if he's renting moldy houses.

Slumlord, by the sound of it.

I could see not wanting to rent out your homes if the plan was to eventually install your married children and their spouses in them, but I am honestly baffled as to why Jim Bob does not bother to do common maintenance on his houses. Why not send his older sons and sons-in-law over to do it if he doesn't want to bother? Maybe he's too scared that if his unmarried adult sons are alone in a house, even together, they are much more likely to sin. :roll:

My Pentecostal friends use this verse as a reason to keep their hair long:

1 Corinthians 11:14-15New International Version (NIV)

14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

I've always found it interesting that I've never heard (or read) any of the fundies we talk about refer to this verse. They seem to always refer to what their husbands prefer. Zsu even said her sons prefer her in long hair. Could it be that none of them really know why they do anything?? :?

Edited to Add: This is the verse my friends refer to for their reason to wear dresses only. Again - I've never heard our favorite fundies refer to this.

Deuteronomy 22:5

New International Version

A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

I've never been there, but I've heard the humidity is awful in Arkansas in the summer, so it wouldn't take much for the house to get moldy. Also, it was mentioned that the bathroom had a leak which contributed to the mold problem.

Jill's house was totally trashed, wiring and heating/ac torn out, (stolen) and most likely scrapped.

Yes to all of this. The purchase history of Jill's house is remarkably similar. I haven't looked at the actual numbers in a long time, but I think he bought it for something like 90% off. JB mostly deals in commercial real estate; maybe that's why his residential efforts have flopped? I know bupkis about real estate investing.

Zillow uses national averages based on size of home and the amount of land. The coasts greatly raise the average compared to what the actual cost is in the midwest. JB bought Jill's house as a foreclosure too. If the bank has held it for a long time they are more likely to sell it at what they are still owed instead of what it truly is valued at. That's great for the buyer unless they are wanting to move in on a normal schedule. Foreclosures are a pain in the ass with all of the paperwork. As far as assessed vs listing price I've never seen a home go for what it is assessed at. Most consider it to be inflated for taxation purposes not what the true market value is.

The Duggars are lazy and last minute; not the least bit proactive. Maybe that's why they are anti-BC. BC requires forethought and preparedness.

I wonder if JB charges the kids rent?

I wonder if JB charges the kids rent?

He says he does but I take that with a grain of salt. Derick could pay rent but Ben would just get an allowance reduction.

My thought is he keeps the residential properties for his children. It keeps them close to the fold and can be used as a control menuver. I'm surprised that JB a isn't after Josh for owing taxes in Arkansas. Could it be JB doesn't know Josh owes taxes? I'd think JB a would pay off taxes if he knew,rather than draw negative attention to the family.

Is that some kind of mini moat dug around the foundation? Gaaah.

Archived