IGNORED

Duggars By the Dozen - General Discussion - Part 10

happy atheist

• Replies 838
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Pentecostal friends use this verse as a reason to keep their hair long:

1 Corinthians 11:14-15New International Version (NIV)

14 Does not the very nature of things teach you that if a man has long hair, it is a disgrace to him, 15 but that if a woman has long hair, it is her glory? For long hair is given to her as a covering.

I've always found it interesting that I've never heard (or read) any of the fundies we talk about refer to this verse. They seem to always refer to what their husbands prefer. Zsu even said her sons prefer her in long hair. Could it be that none of them really know why they do anything?? :?

Edited to Add: This is the verse my friends refer to for their reason to wear dresses only. Again - I've never heard our favorite fundies refer to this.

Deuteronomy 22:5

New International Version

A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

Weird how that was written at a time when men did have long hair and both men and women wore floor-length robes.

WHY does this family have to come across as so likeable? I thought the honeymoon episode showed a really sweet side of Benessa and when the J'slaves and J'chelle went shopping for home decorations, they just seemed like such a fun, relatable family. Then I remember everything that they believe and it just ruins everything! Does anyone feel this way or am I just crazy?

Why don't they like to get their hair cut? Is it a religious thing or what?

And Michelle saying the little ones would get tangled in the necklace or whatever. Ha...as if her little ones are ever near her!

It's not even the bolded....MICHELLE NO LONGER HAS LITTLE ONES.

Young kids, yes, but Josie is nearly five and a half years old. Five and a half year old school aged children don't run up to mommy and pull off her dangling earrings or necklaces the way a baby or toddler who is new to exploring the world around them would because they're curious what the items are. Josie, and by extension EVERY OTHER DUGGAR ORIGINAL 19, is more than old enough to be told, and obey, "don't pull on mom's/sister's/other people's personal belongings.

I will grant her that when her grandchildren come to visit, then YES, there are some very little ones around who would still be in the pulling on things stage (only Marcus at the moment though - the other Ms are old enough to not pull that shit, Izzy will enter the grabby stage in a few months)

Grr, sorry for coming off as an annoyed beotch, but it really does annoy me when the Original 19 are infantilized to make the brood appear younger over all. See: how they haven't updated the family roll call in the opening credits (with the exception of adding in Jill and Jessa's new owners), using images of the kids that are at least two years old. A lot of people still seem to view the Original 19 as a few older teens, a shitload of school age children, three toddlers and a baby. That hasn't been their reality for YEARS. ALL of the Duggar kids are getting older and older, whether Michelle likes it or not.

I wonder if a teenaged Precious Miracle Baby Josie will tire of this crap. It doesn't seem like her mother will ever let her grow up.

I've never been there, but I've heard the humidity is awful in Arkansas in the summer, so it wouldn't take much for the house to get moldy. Also, it was mentioned that the bathroom had a leak which contributed to the mold problem.

Jill's house was totally trashed, wiring and heating/ac torn out, (stolen) and most likely scrapped.

Oh, I'm not faulting anyone for getting mold in the first place. It happens, and it can happen fast. What I don't understand is why JB wouldn't address the problem right away, when it is a much easier fix, rather than let it sit and the mold grow for years. It just makes zero sense, especially since he has so much free labor.

I wonder why Nepal loving Derrick and Jill haven't posted anything about the devistation in Nepal after the earthquake?

I wonder why Nepal loving Derrick and Jill haven't posted anything about the devistation in Nepal after the earthquake?

Because they suck. Just kidding; probably because they're asleep right now. :D

I really hope they don't forget Nepal just because they're busy breeding. I really could see Derick getting a finance-related job with a large Christian charity organization (they always need accountants/financial advisers/planners to help them comply with tax laws and manage their money wisely) and the family (hopefully a rather small-ish family) moving to Kathmandu, where Jill could work with women's health initiatives and the kids could learn to speak Nepali/maybe Hindi as well since that has a lot more use outside of Nepal.

Aside from the clothes and Joy and J'chelle's hair, they don't look that different.

And whoever said in another thread that Jinger's picture is bigger than Jana's to advertise is totally right. :lol:

Thinking about all the houses that JB owns now and allows his married offspring to live in (undoubtedly free of rent) I started to wonder about JB's will. Michelle will probably inherit everything but there is the family trust set up and I wonder how the rental properties factor in. Would Derick and Jill be given the chance to buy their house at market value or will they be forced to move out? What about when the show ends and there are no more TLC paychecks coming in?

I also wonder about whether the number of grandchildren will affect the division of the property. For example if Jill has 10 kids but Jana is not married and has no children will they each receive equal shares? Now that the original Duggar children are becoming adults the financial aspect of the Duggars is becoming quite complicated. I'm assuming that as long as JB is alive he calls all the shots but once he is gone things will be less clear cut. It could get quite messy if all of the money is in one pot such as the "Duggar Family Trust." Who will make all of the decisions then?

I really hope they don't forget Nepal just because they're busy breeding. I really could see Derick getting a finance-related job with a large Christian charity organization (they always need accountants/financial advisers/planners to help them comply with tax laws and manage their money wisely) and the family (hopefully a rather small-ish family) moving to Kathmandu, where Jill could work with women's health initiatives and the kids could learn to speak Nepali/maybe Hindi as well since that has a lot more use outside of Nepal.

I like your accounting mission for Derick! Is that something he could pursue without an MBA?

Derrick should join a group and go to Nepal for quake relief efforts; taking along a film crew would be optional. Jill and Izzy could stay here. It would have the benefit of increasing the gap between Izzy and #2.

I like your accounting mission for Derick! Is that something he could pursue without an MBA?

I have a friend who is an accountant for an overseas mission company and she only has an associates in accounting. She works in Africa.

Oh, I'm not faulting anyone for getting mold in the first place. It happens, and it can happen fast. What I don't understand is why JB wouldn't address the problem right away, when it is a much easier fix, rather than let it sit and the mold grow for years. It just makes zero sense, especially since he has so much free labor.

IME, what we saw in the house when they went to scout it out pre-Jessa and Ben's wedding wasn't years' worth of mold. I've worked in real estate in a humid climate and that didn't strike me as a product of sustained neglect. However, if JB was aware of the bathtub issue I can't imagine why he wouldn't have fixed that more quickly -- I assume the water/utilities were off in the house, though, so maybe the leak was considered a non-issue until occupied.

Thinking about all the houses that JB owns now and allows his married offspring to live in (undoubtedly free of rent) I started to wonder about JB's will. Michelle will probably inherit everything but there is the family trust set up and I wonder how the rental properties factor in. Would Derick and Jill be given the chance to buy their house at market value or will they be forced to move out? What about when the show ends and there are no more TLC paychecks coming in?

I also wonder about whether the number of grandchildren will affect the division of the property. For example if Jill has 10 kids but Jana is not married and has no children will they each receive equal shares? Now that the original Duggar children are becoming adults the financial aspect of the Duggars is becoming quite complicated. I'm assuming that as long as JB is alive he calls all the shots but once he is gone things will be less clear cut. It could get quite messy if all of the money is in one pot such as the "Duggar Family Trust." Who will make all of the decisions then?

But in keeping with the Quiverfull beliefs...wouldn't Josh become the head of the family and thus inherit most/if not all of it (with provisions for caring for his mother and siblings)? I would think that if the TLC money is all going into a trust that legally every child would be able to access it at a certain age or on marriage. I think that TLC would have individual contracts with each family member over the age of 18 (and individual contracts with JB and Michelle for each child under 18) that specifies what each person has earned and legally has a right to- even if it's all going into the same pot.

I have a friend who is an accountant for an overseas mission company and she only has an associates in accounting. She works in Africa.

Nice. Thanks for reading CPA where I said MBA, btw. CPA is what I meant, of course. :D

Stupid subject, I know, but I'm curious - what's up with Josie's hair? It never seems to grow, and it looks like they scrunch it with gel to get it to curl. I can't imagine they're giving her haircuts since their cult likes women to look like My Little Ponies in floor-length denim skirts. Can't Jessa cut off a foot or six of her medusa tangle and make a wig for Josie?

I think the gel is because J'chelle wants her precious miracle's hair to match her own. Lol

Some people's hair never really grows. My step daughter's hair has never reached past her chin because her hair doesn't grow. She wanted me to do her hair for prom back in the day and I had to decline. I had no clue what to do with such short hair. Give me Jessa's hair and I can make it look good.

Jennifer looks so different from all the other kids, girls and boys. She is a beautiful child, but does not look Duggarish in the least. And she just seems so sad and sullen most of the time. Bless 'em all.

Josies hair must be very fragile and breaks/splits a lot so it is really hard to get it long. She also has very pale almost translucent skin compared to the other Duggar kids who seem to be relatively naturally tanned I always wonder why Jinger is so into the self-tanner, because they're really not that pale to begin with!

Archived