IGNORED

10 Shraders in Zambia and counting...

SPHASH

I just got back from 12 weeks in Tanzania assisting the government to set up Midwife training program in rural parts of the country, I had a great time.

I have to share with everyone a very funny story:

One of the places we went was Tabora, medium size city in the Senenge, group I was traveling with (8 people 5 natives and 3 Europeans which is what they call all whites); the native kept talking about the annoying people at the clinic. We thought that they were talking about the staff and/or chiefs of the local tribes. We arrived and met the staff, very nice all local, then the staff warned us about the annoying people. Still could not figure it out- next day we met the annoying people that everyone was talking about they were American Fundie missionaries, of course IB and KVJ only. When the women would start lining up in the early AM they showed up and started doing their Soul Winning. Their selling point-“We love the African people so much we have come to save your soul so that they can go to heaven..†A husband and wife with 3 children (9,7, & 4), been in country for 6 months and only 10 people are coming to their services. Told them that they being referred to as annoying people, invited them to a community health meeting that we were having in a couple of days so they could understand what the people really needed and it was not being saved. I was shocked they came to meeting and quit coming to the clinic to annoy the clients. I went to visit them before I left and they were starting a school to teach hygiene and home safety to the locals.

Now here is my question- If this was John would he take the advice? My money says “NOâ€.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I just got back from 12 weeks in Tanzania assisting the government to set up Midwife training program in rural parts of the country, I had a great time.

I have to share with everyone a very funny story:

One of the places we went was Tabora, medium size city in the Senenge, group I was traveling with (8 people 5 natives and 3 Europeans which is what they call all whites); the native kept talking about the annoying people at the clinic. We thought that they were talking about the staff and/or chiefs of the local tribes. We arrived and met the staff, very nice all local, then the staff warned us about the annoying people. Still could not figure it out- next day we met the annoying people that everyone was talking about they were American Fundie missionaries, of course IB and KVJ only. When the women would start lining up in the early AM they showed up and started doing their Soul Winning. Their selling point-“We love the African people so much we have come to save your soul so that they can go to heaven..†A husband and wife with 3 children (9,7, & 4), been in country for 6 months and only 10 people are coming to their services. Told them that they being referred to as annoying people, invited them to a community health meeting that we were having in a couple of days so they could understand what the people really needed and it was not being saved. I was shocked they came to meeting and quit coming to the clinic to annoy the clients. I went to visit them before I left and they were starting a school to teach hygiene and home safety to the locals.

Now here is my question- If this was John would he take the advice? My money says “NOâ€.

That's a great thing to hear, Countess. And good for you for going to that country and truly helping those people. You have probably done more in 12 weeks than some "missionaries" and their Biblical discipling have done in 12 years.

I cannot help but compare John Shrader to the missionary doctor in Monrovia now fighting for his life with Ebola.

First, he is a doctor and was doing real work to meet areal need. Second, he evacuated his family stateside. Third, he volunteered to head up the Ebola isolation unit and willingly cared for patients, knowing he was risking his life.

That is what a missionary should be doing. Shrader is wasting everyone's time and money. Dr. Bentley may give his life to help the people around him, but he was smart enough to send his family to safety at the same time.

Especially when said ignoramus is a guest within another culture, but still expects them to do all the learning. And I'm sure Rhoda's father really appreciated the family trying to entice his underage daughter away from her family's religion.

Before posting the prayer letter, John also made an update about his "Zambian nickname". Apparently it's common for Zambians to call white visitors "bwana", which basically means boss, just as a sign of respect in casual conversation. But John finds this entirely unacceptable, so he asked a number of people what the translation of "servant" is so they can call him that instead. After using the wrong word for a few weeks, he learned "kapolo" was the word he should be using. He is blessed and excited to hear people call him Kapolo John :roll:

While it is good of him to claim that he doesn't see himself as better than his Zambian aquaintances, the whole exchange is just the ultimate humble-brag. It isn't enough for him to be just another visitor, he has to be special. He follows up with:

Right...:?

Ok, I googled a bit on that word. Because if he's that insistent, and doesn't know the language, who knows what the locals are calling him, really. Wikipedia (yes, I know) has a page on zambian slang. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zambian_slang

Kopala - an indigenous citizen of the Copperbelt province (Usually an unruly member of this group of people)
Which might be pronounced similarly. Kapolo is a town and a stream/river there is all I could find. I would love to know what he was being called before and what it means. It would also be funny if the local translation of Kapolo is less "servant" and more like calling someone a bottom (vs a top).

I wonder what the Zambian word for useless douchebag is......but I guess John will find out soon enough.

The word they were using previously was "wanchito" meaning "worker"...or at least that's what he was told.

Ok, I googled a bit on that word. Because if he's that insistent, and doesn't know the language, who knows what the locals are calling him, really. Wikipedia (yes, I know) has a page on zambian slang. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zambian_slang

Which might be pronounced similarly. Kapolo is a town and a stream/river there is all I could find. I would love to know what he was being called before and what it means. It would also be funny if the local translation of Kapolo is less "servant" and more like calling someone a bottom (vs a top).

And yet another old joke comes to my mind.

In an African village, two white missionaries preach at the crowd of natives before them. "We bring you greetings from civilization!"

"GAZUNGA!" chant the natives.

"And news from the great white God . . . "

" . . .who is now your God!"

At the end of an hour of this the two missionaries pack up and promise to return. As they are leaving the village the chief shouts to them "Be careful you don't step in the elephant gazunga! "

I wonder what the Zambian word for useless douchebag is......but I guess John will find out soon enough.

This might work:

Kaponya - A street hawker or any individual found roaming the city streets aimlessly. Usually very vulgar

Does Zambian even have a translation for the word "servant", as we use it? Not all languages do.

Slickcat79 says they were calling him "worker", which seems an obvious opposite of "boss", although I understand why John doesn't want that title. (He isn't there to WORK for the Zambians, he is there to SERVE them, like Christ.) I just wonder whether the new name he has found actually means servant or whether it means slave. I know nothing about African languages but I know in some of the older European languages there is no distinction between servant and slave. I hate to think he might be running around calling himself "Slave John".

post-2352-14451999313271_thumb.jpg

Does Zambian even have a translation for the word "servant", as we use it? Not all languages do.

Slickcat79 says they were calling him "worker", which seems an obvious opposite of "boss", although I understand why John doesn't want that title. (He isn't there to WORK for the Zambians, he is there to SERVE them, like Christ.) I just wonder whether the new name he has found actually means servant or whether it means slave. I know nothing about African languages but I know in some of the older European languages there is no distinction between servant and slave. I hate to think he might be running around calling himself "Slave John".

I found it interesting that the Zambian word for Jesus has Yesu in it. It's similar to the Hebrew Yeshu.

Zambian wouldn't be the only language with a similar word for Jesus... I'm too lazy to look it up, but there are many who's name for him is similar.

He wouldn't be bothered by that. He uses servant and slave more-or-less interchangeably in his entry :?

I found it interesting that the Zambian word for Jesus has Yesu in it. It's similar to the Hebrew Yeshu.

In Arabic it's Isa, and in Turkish Esa. I'm guessing because it's a proper noun it's pretty similar across languages and religions. (Though I have no idea how John the Baptist became Yahya in Islam).

To make it even more complicated: the "official" language is still English because there is no such thing as "Zambian." There are 73 different indigenous languages spoken in Zambia. In Lusaka it's Nyanja. Others are Bemba, Nyanja, Lozi, Kaonde, Tonga, Lunda and Luvale. (Thanks Wikipedia!)

Now I remember a bit of Swahili, which is spoken in many parts of Africa including Zambia and Burundi.

John ni si mtumishi au mfanyakazi. John ni vimelea maana.

To make it even more complicated: the "official" language is still English because there is no such thing as "Zambian." There are 73 different indigenous languages spoken in Zambia. In Lusaka it's Nyanja. Others are Bemba, Nyanja, Lozi, Kaonde, Tonga, Lunda and Luvale. (Thanks Wikipedia!)

Now I remember a bit of Swahili, which is spoken in many parts of Africa including Zambia and Burundi.

Ha! What does that mean in English?

John is not a servant or a worker. John is a useless parasite!

Why can't they just call him JOHN? Hi, my name is John, please call me John! :?

Exactly and precisely! It is really just that simple.

But ya think John-boy would settle for that?

Calling john shearer john boy is an insult to the tv character (the Waltons.)

Perhaps. But count me in on the people who detested John-Boy Walton. He was the golden child. The oldest boy who dismissed his siblings as "children." The kid who had his own bedroom from an early age. The entitled kid that denied Mary Ellen her own room because he needed the shed for his printing press -- when he could have used the freaking barn for his blooming press. The kid that devalued all his brothers and sisters.

I like and appreciate Richard Thomas the actor, but I always wanted to get John-Boy in a head-lock and make him cry "Uncle!"

John Shrader is the epitome of entitled John-Boy with less charm, less work ethic, and much less talent, so I do take your original point.

Uh. Back to your regularly scheduled programming after my Walton rant. :cracking-up:

I did not know this, but the "official" language being English. OT: I've always wondered something and maybe this answers that question. If anyone knows I would love to hear your opinions/comments.

You know those Feed the Children type commercials? I hate those. I hate seeing young children walking barefoot in horrible, unsafe conditions to a filthy pool of water to get a drink or kids with flies all over them. All I can think is PUT DOWN THE FUCKING CAMERA AND HELP THAT CHILD!!!!!!!! How much money are you wasting that could go to helping the people you are filming in those conditions...ARGH!

Ok rant aside, the kids always have names like "cindy" or some very Americanized name and that has always bugged me, but now I'm wondering if English is the "official" language do people there really name their children "american/english" names?

Like "This is Karen from Honduras."

I agree, sometimes yes. The world is getting smaller and people in developing countries will see American/foreign movies and name children after movie stars.

In some countries people will choose to have two names: the one for fellow nationals and another that is more easily pronounced and accessible for use with foreigners. Also, converts will often change their name to a Biblical one on baptism.

OTOH, in previously colonized countries European names certainly crept in and are quite common. Look at Arcade, Arnaud and Eddie in Burundi. The first two are regular French names, and the last English. When I was tiny and living in what is now the Democratic Republic of the Congo we had a young nanny/caregiver (male) whose name was Chivers. After the Chivers marmalade found in many British missionary homes. His parents just liked the sound of the word.

The only area of Africa never colonized by Europeans was Ethiopia, and they were occupied for awhile by the Italians but never fully colonized. It is not uncommon to see names of European origin in the areas where colonization occurred. One of my W. African sons has a tribal name, the other has an Anglican Christian name, both names were given by their tribal birth parents.

Archived