IGNORED

10 Shraders in Zambia and counting...

SPHASH

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply

John is one of those people who stumbles through life getting whatever the hell he wants, caring little about the consequences his actions have on others and always, always putting himself first. He will help no one in Zambia. He will only take, take, take and when he has drained them dry he will move on to something else. He will never go and work a regular job supporting his family and putting them first because that is below him. He wants praise and attention with very minimal work on his part. It is disgusting that he got so much support.

I am curious whether his "visa problems" had anything to do with those zip-tied pieces of luggage.

I am curious whether his "visa problems" had anything to do with those zip-tied pieces of luggage.

Probably more to do with the fact that he never confirmed/completed the visa process. Last minute issues can come up with just about any international trip, even ones that are planned better than Shrader's.

He claimed that visas were completed a few weeks ago. But I take pretty much everything he says with a giant grain of salt.

He claimed that visas were completed a few weeks ago. But I take pretty much everything he says with a giant grain of salt.

Speaking as a travel agent visas to african countries such as Zambia and Nigeria are difficult and time consuming. My boss just gone down getting them for a client of hers. The worst country is Brazil. However stupid John probably thought getting a visa is as easy as applying for a passport.

Are we sure they have left the U.S.? Any proof other than John's word? I

I wonder if he applied for a business visa, which is apparently only good for 30 days in Zambia? His container isn't supposed to arrive for what, 6 weeks? Two months? Or did he try to dick away this venture on tourist visas traveling with one-way tickets?

I have a feeling it might be the latter. John has proven himself not to be the sharpest tool in the box.

They are number of things I keep wondering if John planned for:

1) National elections are being held in 2016, last elections they threw out the old government, which were Pentecostal, to be replaced by the new one that is Christian. When the new one came in the Pentecostals had a hard time to get their VISA renewed. So that might happen again.

2) VISA's has to be renewed every year and you must have had meet the goals that you stated in your application.

3) Zambian government has a very strong family planning and condom usage program. Where ever you drive there are billboards, posters and flyers about how to use condoms and why. Along with family planning message, they are trying to get families in the cities to limit their family to 3-4 children.

4) He can't just plant churches, they also have to have either medical or educational services attached.

I just returned from the International Council of Midwives conference, talked to a couple midwives from Zambia-their comment was "we don't need another Bible beater, we need someone that will help us to educate women in the rural communities to become midwives to provide healthcare not to start churches."

What city are they staying in?

^They are ultimately bound for Kafue, but I'm hoping they decide to stay in Lusaka until the baby is born. Without their container of belongings, it would be much more convenient to be in a larger city.

As far as proof goes, John has posted pictures of himself and the family on planes and in airports. If he's faking it, he's putting a lot of effort into it.

They are number of things I keep wondering if John planned for:

1) National elections are being held in 2016, last elections they threw out the old government, which were Pentecostal, to be replaced by the new one that is Christian. When the new one came in the Pentecostals had a hard time to get their VISA renewed. So that might happen again.

2) VISA's has to be renewed every year and you must have had meet the goals that you stated in your application.

3) Zambian government has a very strong family planning and condom usage program. Where ever you drive there are billboards, posters and flyers about how to use condoms and why. Along with family planning message, they are trying to get families in the cities to limit their family to 3-4 children.

4) He can't just plant churches, they also have to have either medical or educational services attached.

I just returned from the International Council of Midwives conference, talked to a couple midwives from Zambia-their comment was "we don't need another Bible beater, we need someone that will help us to educate women in the rural communities to become midwives to provide healthcare not to start churches."

What city are they staying in?

John doesn't care about helping people, all he cares about is living out his missionary fantasy and getting people to support him while he doesn't work. I just hope the Zambian government sees this better than the sheeple that paid for him to get over there and kicks him out as soon as possible.

^They are ultimately bound for Kafue, but I'm hoping they decide to stay in Lusaka until the baby is born. Without their container of belongings, it would be much more convenient to be in a larger city.

As far as proof goes, John has posted pictures of himself and the family on planes and in airports. If he's faking it, he's putting a lot of effort into it.

Lusaka has two very good Birthing Centers-one catholic run by Sisters other is government. Kafue has one birthing center run by government. I still can't wrap my head around that he shipped his container one week before leaving, poor planning.When we do medical missions to developing world the container goes at least two months prior to the mission, we like three months.

I don't think he is faking. I believe they are on their way, or have arrived in Zambia. I don't believe they have Visa's yet as he only started the application process 2-3 months ago. His family is going to be such a burden to Zambia. Do they have a home yet? Where are they going to get that fancy truck he purchased? What are they going to do for 3 months until their container arrives? IF it arrives undamaged. Does he have enough money in the bank to purchase plane tickets when he's told to leave?

Say all the "cards aline", there Visa's are ready, and they have a home. What will their life be like? What will they eat? Will they have safe water to drink? I'd assume it will be very hot with little or no air conditioning.

I just can't wrap my head around the fact that he's taken all these small children to a developing country and that many churches have enabled him by giving him money. :pull-hair:

I haven't followed Shrader much, except what's been on FJ for the past year. How is this guy worse than anyone else who has a missionary fantasy? I keep seeing him called lazy... is there a backstory? Just wondering... going to Africa and living a missionary lifestyle seems very difficult, not something that would appeal to the totally lazy. I agree that he comes across as foolhardy, but if there's more backstory about the lazy part I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

When I went to Russia last year, I used a visa/passport agency. (I thought my passport expired this year, but oopppsss.) The agency was costly, but it was worth every penny. I doubt that Jackass John was willing to pay for the service and bumbled through on his own.

I haven't followed Shrader much, except what's been on FJ for the past year. How is this guy worse than anyone else who has a missionary fantasy? I keep seeing him called lazy... is there a backstory? Just wondering... going to Africa and living a missionary lifestyle seems very difficult, not something that would appeal to the totally lazy. I agree that he comes across as foolhardy, but if there's more backstory about the lazy part I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

John quit his job as a car salesman to begin planning his trip to Zambia-fundraising, deputation etc despite the fact he had several mouths to feed and keeps getting Esther pregnant. He also sold his house and moved his family all over the country living in a popup camper while begging churches to support him.

John quit his job as a car salesman to begin planning his trip to Zambia-fundraising, deputation etc despite the fact he had several mouths to feed and keeps getting Esther pregnant.

Not to mention that he sold the house and forced his ever pregnant wife and growing number of kids to live in a pop up camper or in church basements. I don't know how a couple and their 8 kids could even have fitted in, with the conditions they were living in, and I especially don't know how more kids were conceived.

John quit his job as a car salesman to begin planning his trip to Zambia-fundraising, deputation etc despite the fact he had several mouths to feed and keeps getting Esther pregnant. He also sold his house and moved his family all over the country living in a popup camper while begging churches to support him.

Furthermore, he's neglected to give his children proper vaccinations and anti-malaria medication for the trip. He's alluded to the fact that he expects to lose one or two of his children along the way during this 'adventure.'

Even taking away the obvious pointlessness of missionaries who offer no service, charity, or aid to those they feel called to mission to, what bothers me about this family is the wastefulness of them being a missionary family. Why would backers want to support 10.5 bodies, when only 1 of those bodies would be able to truly work hard to "win souls"? They could send a single person or 2 who could fully devote all their time to the mission at hand and have a much better cost/productivity ratio 8-) . Hell even a family of 4 is at least 6.5 less mouths to support and feed. I remember reading here that missionaries are the rock stars of the fundie world, and if that is the case, surely there are less burdensome families to send and support. It just seems so wasteful to send the whole fam-damily.

I know I have probably asked this before but, other than handing out Bibles, what missionary work does John intend to do? I don't see him setting up schools or health clinics. There are a lot of good hardworking missionaries that really do want to save the lives of people, not just their spiritual souls. I have heard nothing about John that leads me to believe he is one of those people.

I wonder how fast Esther and the kids will realize that a horrible mistake has been made. I am sure the first few weeks the kids will find it exciting but what after that? I am sure they were bored living in the pop-up, I can't imagine how boring it will be for them now. It's hard enough to live a nomatic existence in the US, I can't imagine doing it in a foreign country whose culture is so different than theirs. It isn't like they went to Canada. As for Esther, I hope it doesn't take the serious illness or death of a child to realize that this missionary trip was a horrible idea. I fear this is where they are heading if the kids really did not receive any vaccinations. Does anyone know if you have to have some type of international medical insurance or something similar if you are a missionary? Does that even exist? I ask because I know that some countries expect you to pay the full amount before a doctor will treat you and I cannot see the family even having the money for treatment.

This situation makes me appreciate that my family is loud, nosey and speak their minds at all costs. This way, if in some warped universe I decide to go crazy fundy, they will put a stop to any crazy ideas like this.

Even taking away the obvious pointlessness of missionaries who offer no service, charity, or aid to those they feel called to mission to, what bothers me about this family is the wastefulness of them being a missionary family. Why would backers want to support 10.5 bodies, when only 1 of those bodies would be able to truly work hard to "win souls"? They could send a single person or 2 who could fully devote all their time to the mission at hand and have a much better cost/productivity ratio 8-) . Hell even a family of 4 is at least 6.5 less mouths to support and feed. I remember reading here that missionaries are the rock stars of the fundie world, and if that is the case, surely there are less burdensome families to send and support. It just seems so wasteful to send the whole fam-damily.

It makes no sense to me either. Even Mormons, who hold family as such a central tenet of their faith and have a large missionary fund to support these sorts of ventures, only send young singles or older married couples whose children are grown.

I wonder if it's because in the Quiverfull world John and Esther has displayed their godliness and commitment to true Christian principles by having so many children, therefore they are qualified to spread the word to others?

I guess things have changed in the missionary world since I was a child but back then it was usually childless couples that went, they usually had spent a significant amount of time training for the mission field and they were there for years establishing what they really needed before expecting people to buy them planes and brand new Troupies.

Here in America John as a non-missionary is a nobody. He had to work for people he didn't like. He got no praise and adoration. No airplanes, no brand new Troupies, no traveling the country getting to speak to people. He just got to go to work come home and be a parent/husband. BUT as a missionary John got to quit his job, travel the country with people giving him food, money, praise, an airplane, an accordion, a Troupie, places to live, fruit for a juice fast while his wife is suffering due to pregnancy complications, and he gets to be a big guy. He has no real plans for when he gets to Zambia. Most of the people there are already Christian, so it isn't like he needs to save souls. Nope, he will be going over there, not working, not really having to convert anybody(73 % of the people in the place he is going are not only Christian, they are protestant Christian.), just hanging out in Zambia, sending newsletters back and not doing anything. He won't help anyone(it isn't like he even has skills to really help even if he wanted to), he won't work, and most of the people he will meet will already be protestant. So he is lazier than the average missionary.

I'm not sure whether John is lazy. I do think he's discovered that supporting a family of 11 with no education is next to impossible by U.S. standards. If he's a missionary, there is no shame in his world in constantly asking for financial help, and there is no accountability for him actually delivering anything. And, it's considered good and noble, whereas living in a camper or a church basement because you can't take care of your family is pretty shameful. I do think he realizes, on some level, just how much of a failure he's been in providing for his family. Too bad he doesn't change his quiverful beliefs instead of dragging the whole family to Zambia. I don't think they will make it seven years, unless they're stuck because they can't afford to return home. I'd think it would be more difficult to raise funds to quit a mission than to start one.

I'm seriously worried about Esther. I'm afraid a difficult pregnancy or birth could kill her in Zambia.

Furthermore, he's neglected to give his children proper vaccinations and anti-malaria medication for the trip. He's alluded to the fact that he expects to lose one or two of his children along the way during this 'adventure.'

Don't forget his cultural insensitivity and outright racism he's displayed in the past. He hasn't bothered to learn about the culture of the place he claims to care about so much.

Archived