IGNORED

10 Shraders in Zambia and counting...

SPHASH

I'm trying to think of under what conditions I would think this was a good idea and I can't come up with any.

I did go and look at the page that was linked earlier and looked at the testimonials page and the fact that people are forcing this stuff down their pets terrifies me :(

It seems to me if it was such a great cure all, the medical community would either have embraced it or *conspiracy* made the information completely unavailable because big pharma /conspiracy Can't have people getting well from something so simple when big pharma can be making billions of $$$$ off the stupid sheeple.

That is what I always wonder with these things. Honestly, if someone stumbled upon a wonder cure for cancer, don't you think that person would be working with a major pharmaceutical company to patent it and be the richest person ever? And wouldn't insanely wealthy and educated people suffering from cancer be all over these things? Or if in the long run the pharmaceutical companies would lose money, I'm pretty sure they would lock down that information and the materials needed enough that some facebook meme by BettyJo McPodunk wouldn't somehow slip through.

The more I learn about homeopathic medicine, the more I suspect it's all an exercise in assuaging one's ego.

• Replies 842
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hat is what I always wonder with these things. Honestly, if someone stumbled upon a wonder cure for cancer, don't you think that person would be working with a major pharmaceutical company to patent it and be the richest person ever? And wouldn't insanely wealthy and educated people suffering from cancer be all over these things? Or if in the long run the pharmaceutical companies would lose money, I'm pretty sure they would lock down that information and the materials needed enough that some facebook meme by BettyJo McPodunk wouldn't somehow slip through

Oh, the spin is already there on the why they don't patent the wonder cure.... 1) they, unlike the evil pharma companies want you to be cured--if you are cured, evil pharma won't be able to keep charging you for the medication/chemo, etc.

2) They are not in it for the money. Ignore that the "we can't say it is a treatment or we'd get in trouble with the FDA, but here are some anonymouse testimonials" guys charge a ton of money, often as much or more than chemo... but your insurance won't cover it.

3) If their "cure" doesn't work it may be because you poisoned yourself with chemo so much the treatment couldn't save you, but here are more supplements you can buy to help with that.

I have relatives who spend more on their supplements than on their mortgages, and lost an inlaw who chose to use vitamin c and prayer as her cancer came back--didn't work.

That is what I always wonder with these things. Honestly, if someone stumbled upon a wonder cure for cancer, don't you think that person would be working with a major pharmaceutical company to patent it and be the richest person ever? And wouldn't insanely wealthy and educated people suffering from cancer be all over these things?

There's also the matter that when scientists discovered REAL "wonder cures" (penicillin, smallpox vaccine, polio vaccine), they were usually very eager to test out the medication in some kind of clinical trial. They wanted to replicate the results in a lab setting. They wanted to prove, scientifically, that their potential cures actually worked. Testimonials and gut feelings aren't enough.

I hope they have misquote nets up over all of the beds.

Oh now look, I know all about predictive text and autocorrect.

But this is still really funny.

Colloidal silver isn't considered safe or effective for any of the health claims manufacturers make. Silver has no known purpose in the body. Nor is it an essential mineral, as some sellers of silver products claim.

from here: http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-livin ... q-20058061

If you showed John that, he'd say "Why should I take medical advice from a company that manufactures mayonnaise?" :lol:

Any word on the VISA's yet?

He got the VISAs some time last month. There's a picture of it in the June-July newsletter that someone posted a few pages back. Next we should be hearing about the container arriving...John was expecting it by tomorrow.

BREAKING NEWS: Apparently John was in a car accident. He was riding in a taxi that was struck by a minibus. It doesn't seem too serious as Esther says he is "okay just sore" :? Neither of them posted anything about it, but a commenter brought it up. Said commenter also mentioned that they have found a midwife for Esther.

Glad they found a midwife for Esther. Pity about the visas, I was hoping they would be deported.

I'm still plowing my way through the poison wood bible. I finished the part where they were missionaries in Africa. I hope it does not take a tragedy of that scale to bring the shrader family to their senses

Glad they found a midwife for Esther. Pity about the visas, I was hoping they would be deported.

I'm still plowing my way through the poison wood bible. I finished the part where they were missionaries in Africa. I hope it does not take a tragedy of that scale to bring the shrader family to their senses

I'm not sure that a tragedy of that scale would bring the Schraders to their senses. :cry:

I think I'm going to have to try to avoid this thread although John's escapades are endlessly fascinating in a train-wreck sort of way. I'm glad they found a midwife for Esther. Thanks for the updates, Slickcat.

Now the Shraders are actually in Zambia the risks are very real and there is not a damn thing we can do about it. So John is planning to treat serious tropical illnesses with a quack-medication that has actually already been used in the past, proven to have no therapeutic value, and potentially has such bad side effects that it has FDA warnings? And essential oils? Oh my. I want to vomit, as well as weep for those children.

As someone else said, 10 Shraders in Zambia ... but we are on the countdown to 9. I'm not sure I can cope with the countdown. :(

Actually, Esther is about to give birth, so it would still be 10

Yes. If John's iniquitous stupidity and callous disregard for his children's health kills a few he can always breed some replacements. :angry-banghead:

Sure, Africa is a huge continent. However, this disease could spread fast, and since countries there don't have the necessary medical infrastructure to avoid a huge epidemic, I wouldn't feel very safe right now there.

But Ebola probably isn't the thing they should be worried about the most. There are so many diseases to catch there, and without proper medical treatment, even way more harmless stuff can be fatal.

Not to mention that Ebola spreads easily through close contact, and Zambia has a lot of people traveling to and from South Africa, which includes one of the biggest travel hubs for the continent (Johannesburg). Even though Kenya hasn't had cases yet, a few airlines have already banned flights from Nairobi due to concerns about potentially infected people from the affected countries leaving Africa via Nairobi. I'm sure Johannesburg won't be too far behind.

Actually, Esther is about to give birth, so it would still be 10

Except that Esther and the new baby are the most vulnerable members of the family, so they could still easily end up at 9.

Those poor kids - Esther is going to be largely out of commission for the next few months even if no catastrophe befalls them, and I don't see John taking up the slack around parenting, cooking, cleaning and homeschooling, all of which are complicated by being newly arrived in Africa. It's far more likely that it will fall to the eldest daughter (Agape?), who is far too young to deal with it.

Except that Esther and the new baby are the most vulnerable members of the family, so they could still easily end up at 9.

Those poor kids - Esther is going to be largely out of commission for the next few months even if no catastrophe befalls them, and I don't see John taking up the slack around parenting, cooking, cleaning and homeschooling, all of which are complicated by being newly arrived in Africa. It's far more likely that it will fall to the eldest daughter (Agape?), who is far too young to deal with it.

Meh, John could always contribute by going on a juice fast...

Why do I get the nagging feeling that if one of John's children died, he would be positively gleeful from all of the attention he would get? I can see him rolling in the mass of condolences that would come his way, and using the opportunity to talk about how his "mission" is just that much more important. I can also see him saying that his dead child would want him to continue his "work." :ew:

As far as I can tell,experts can't even tell HOW that dr and others who were well protected got infected.It MAY be airborne now,some are speculating.They were covered in many layers,head to toe,and even so things happen,it seems they should have not gotten it.

Were it as easy as using colloidal silver,we wouldn't even be having this talk right now.

As far as I can tell,experts can't even tell HOW that dr and others who were well protected got infected.It MAY be airborne now,some are speculating.They were covered in many layers,head to toe,and even so things happen,it seems they should have not gotten it.

Not really.

It is believed that they acquired it in the degowning-decontamination area in Africa. All the gowning/gloving/PPE in the world has to be fully disinfected before removal and there has to be a very rigorous disinfection and removal process, or the caregiver can be exposed to whatever was on the outside of the PPE.

It goes without saying that the hospitals caring for patients with Ebola in Africa do not exactly have the same high-tech disinfection chambers and processes that the CDC has in the US.

Ebola is not airborne. That said, liquids (body fluids) can be aerosoloized (dispersed as very small droplets). Maybe this is what you are thinking of?

Ebola is not airborne. That said, liquids (body fluids) can be aerosoloized (dispersed as very small droplets). Maybe this is what you are thinking of?

The book I'm reading, (The Hot Zone, which tells the history of the Ebola family of viruses.) Has a strong speculation that the virus can be "aerosolized" when an infected/sick person coughs or sneezes on a person close to them. The victim must then tough their eyes or similar so the virus can actually enter the body.

The book I'm reading, (The Hot Zone, which tells the history of the Ebola family of viruses.) Has a strong speculation that the virus can be "aerosolized" when an infected/sick person coughs or sneezes on a person close to them. The victim must then tough their eyes or similar so the virus can actually enter the body.

That's not considered a possibility now: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/08/15/world ... messcience

She emphasized that unlike influenza or tuberculosis, Ebola is not spread by airborne transmission of germs, only by contact with the bodily fluids of someone who is contagious.

John was pleased with this weekend's services. They had a chance to share the gospel with Luckson, a man who John had met previously. Apparently Luckson had been attending a "baptist church" (scare quotes in the original) but they NEVER EVEN ASKED HIM IF HE WAS SAVED. They just accepted him as a member. Crazy, right? :roll:

They met and shared dinner with another muzungu family called the Taylors, who had recently arrived in Zambia as part of Teen Challenge. John also reached out to 3 brothers who were 7th Day Adventists while they were on their way to "church" and was happy that he could plant the seed.

John was expecting the container to arrive today, so they have moved to the House on the Hill. I'll be interested to see how it looks...hopefully he'll post some pics soon.

John was pleased with this weekend's services. They had a chance to share the gospel with Luckson, a man who John had met previously. Apparently Luckson had been attending a "baptist church" (scare quotes in the original) but they NEVER EVEN ASKED HIM IF HE WAS SAVED. They just accepted him as a member. Crazy, right? :roll:

They met and shared dinner with another muzungu family called the Taylors, who had recently arrived in Zambia as part of Teen Challenge. John also reached out to 3 brothers who were 7th Day Adventists while they were on their way to "church" and was happy that he could plant the seed.

John was expecting the container to arrive today, so they have moved to the House on the Hill. I'll be interested to see how it looks...hopefully he'll post some pics soon.

I'd be willing to bet that Luckson went back to his Baptist Church and told the pastor that this strange muzungu keeps accosting him in the streets asking whether he is SAVED or not. John is not going to make himself popular by trying to siphon people away from other churches.

The 7th Day Adventist brothers went to church also rejoicing and praising God that they had given the chance to plant the seed in the strange muzungo's thinking. :P

The Taylor family may be RobandJennifer.wordpress.com. They sound like fairly experienced Presbyterian missionaries. Thy have 3 teen sons and a daughter adopted from Zambia . I wonder what they thought of the Shraders and whether John tried to convert them too!

It seems that John has spent 2 months renting houses, gathering supplies and accosting people in the street. Has he said how many people he gets at Sunday services yet?

It would just bless my heart if the 7th Day Adventists saw John and his family as a mission field ripe for the harvest and tried to covert him and his kids. Let him get a taste of his own medicine.

Archived