IGNORED

Bates Updates

BirthingGodsWarriors

I think it is a status symbol for kids of both families to continually marry outside of one another. They know each other so well that marrying a member of the other family would be considered low hanging fruit and a sign that they weren't good enough to attract a partner they weren't acquainted with already. Notice that all of the Duggar/Bates intendeds so far have been from families they didn't know particularly well until the courtship/special friends stage. Or if they did know them, they weren't exceptionally close. I think it's almost a competition of egos: "I can attract a total stranger that's both hot and godly just by showing up at the local Sonic and appearing as my perfect self! Oh, you just settled for one of my sisters? Wow. I guess you're not as desirable as I am if you couldn't attract someone that didn't already know you."

It's also very possible that having grown up as friends, they consider each other more as siblings and less as potential spouse material.

Well, at some point, though, they are going to have to intermarry. I mean, there are only so many of these families to go around, and they've got tons of kids to marry off. They are around each other enough, at some point, it will happen.

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, at some point, though, they are going to have to intermarry. I mean, there are only so many of these families to go around, and they've got tons of kids to marry off. They are around each other enough, at some point, it will happen.

I don't know, the Bates at least have shown they are willing to consider newcomers to the lifestyle (Whit was saved later, and certainly was never ATI before Zach), and the Duggars may be as well with Derrick, though we don't know much about his past.

If they're willing to marry outside ATI families and then bring those people in, they have a pretty sizable dating pool.

I don't know the Bates kids very well but there is one of the littler ones, he had a buzz cut when he was on 19K&C. He seemed to be a very old soul...and just as cute as a button. Is it Jackson? Anyway, Kelly could probably set him up in arranged marriage right now. I have a darling granddaughter...too bad we're atheists!

I also think it could happen and that TLC would love it. $$s for both families, a massive wedding, high ratings, and buildup towards the first Duggar/Bates grandchild.

BirthingGodsWarriors wrote:

HereticHick wrote:

Well, Kelly does seem to know what she is doing when it comes to attracting mates for her kids. This is the workshop she should teach at Big Sandy!

True that! Wasn't it also reported somewhere on here that Kelly was shopping Zach around post failed Sarah Reith courtship? I remember reading that she was going to the homes of young eligible women and extolling the virtues of the eldest son, no joke. Seems like she knows exactly what she is doing. Shoot, I'm single, maybe I should hit up KellysMatchmakingservices.com haha. Although, I am not sure how much luck I would have in convincing her to find me a same sex partner

Yes, a Bates friend/insider said she started doing that as soon as she heard zach was interested in Whitney.

What? Really? Was Whitney too worldly, too non-ATI? I hope they have accepted her now.

What? Really? Was Whitney too worldly, too non-ATI? I hope they have accepted her now.

Whit had a rough life before she was adopted, from what it sounds like. It looks like she was in foster care and in some bad homes, and may have even got caught up in some bad stuff (lying about stolen money?). But then she came to a good home, found Jesus, and pulled her life together.

Many people would respect her for this. But you know ATI: "sins of the father" being passed down, pieces of your heart gone forever. Basically, Gothardites believe that once you have been tarnished, you are tarnished FOREVER.

Never mind that forgiveness and redemption are what Christianity is all about.

I also think it could happen and that TLC would love it. $$s for both families, a massive wedding, high ratings, and buildup towards the first Duggar/Bates grandchild.

Shhhhh! Don't give them any ideas to keep the money train flowing! I still feel like they get half their show's content from snark they have seen here at FJ.

Was Chad cutting hair, too? If he was, that's kinda sweet.

I've always thought the reason why there won't ever be a Duggar/Bates courtship is because it would ultimately be a battle of clashing egos between the parents. Michelle and Kelly have always jealously watched one another, both always wanting magic baby #20 (even if that doesn't seem as likely at this point), and Jim Bob would want to absorb any Bates offspring that hooked up with a Duggarling into the dog and pony show. I don't see Gil being bothered by selling his kids out as long as Jim Bob would be willing to cut Gil in on the profits, but what are the odds that Jim Bob would treat him fairly?

They're like the Hatfields and the McCoys of fundiedom.

Soon to be a Battle of Grandchildren. Jill and Erin both have very fertile mothers, so there is the chance they and their sisters could be too. Gil lets loose a few daughters, Jimbob does likewise. Also, Jimbob has often stated the Duggars are competitive. Not too far fetched, I hope. Sounds like my cup of amusement-tea. :pray:

It's also very possible that having grown up as friends, they consider each other more as siblings and less as potential spouse material.

When the Bates were first introduced, it was mentioned that that families had met but hadn't seen each other in 6(?), 7(?) years. Even now, they still seem to only see each other every few months, if that.

There is no Bates/Duggar feud. It's a fiction invented by the internet. People started joking that they were in a contest or a fight because they're so similar and usually have about the same number of children at the same time, but it's not actually a thing. The level of friendship is overblown by TLC for plot purposes, but there's also basically zero evidence that they're in a competition or secretly dislike each other. I don't think they care that much.

I think there might be a Duggar/Bates courtship down the line just based on sheer probability. There are so many of them, and they know each other, so it's more likely than not. But it might be between a couple of the younger kids.

There is no Bates/Duggar feud. It's a fiction invented by the internet. People started joking that they were in a contest or a fight because they're so similar and usually have about the same number of children at the same time, but it's not actually a thing. The level of friendship is overblown by TLC for plot purposes, but there's also basically zero evidence that they're in a competition or secretly dislike each other. I don't think they care that much.

I think there might be a Duggar/Bates courtship down the line just based on sheer probability. There are so many of them, and they know each other, so it's more likely than not. But it might be between a couple of the younger kids.

I formed my opinion independent of the internet. Kelly, particularly, seems to give the Duggars, particularly Michelle, these looks like "I'm a southern woman and southern hospitality says I need to appear nice, but I'm really so over you." And I find that the tones of the parents are very passive aggressive towards each other. Like they're only getting along because of appearances. Neither couple seems to genuinely respect the other.

I think that although the parents may view each other as competition and not be overly fond of one another, the kids do like each other. I remember watching the episode where they visit the Bates on the way to moving Smuggar to DC, and when they announced they were staying the night, some of the kids from both families were over the top excited, shouting, hugging, and jumping up and down. I think the younger kids in particular genuinely like each other.

:dance: Wow that picture!! I can not even believe she posted that. There is nothing left to the imagination.

Oh, my imagination found quite enough to go on.

I formed my opinion independent of the internet. Kelly, particularly, seems to give the Duggars, particularly Michelle, these looks like "I'm a southern woman and southern hospitality says I need to appear nice, but I'm really so over you." And I find that the tones of the parents are very passive aggressive towards each other. Like they're only getting along because of appearances. Neither couple seems to genuinely respect the other.

I don't think there's a feud, but I suspect Kelly is no fan of Jim Bob. Remember when Kelly was pregnant, the Duggars showed up with the Wilson family (who the Bateses weren't expecting) planning to add a few rooms to their house, and Jim Bob turned it into a major, months-long, renovation? I suppose they may have all agreed beforehand, with the surprise and repeated changes done for the camera, but she didn't seem happy to me.

I don't think there's a feud, but I suspect Kelly is no fan of Jim Bob. Remember when Kelly was pregnant, the Duggars showed up with the Wilson family (who the Bateses weren't expecting) planning to add a few rooms to their house, and Jim Bob turned it into a major, months-long, renovation? I suppose they may have all agreed beforehand, with the surprise and repeated changes done for the camera, but she didn't seem happy to me.

Wasn't there also that time he made her think her kids had been kidnapped? Yeah. Not hard to understand why she wouldn't be a fan.

I know someone who wouldn't have been parking a bus in my yard after that adventure.

But she has to toe the line and stay sweet... If Master Gil says they're friends with the Duggars then by golly they're friends with the Duggars.

Disgusting.

I'm telling ya, Kelly should go on the fundy speaking circuit on how to get your kids married off. He latest post is like a marriage ad for her 2 oldest sons.

I'm telling ya, Kelly should go on the fundy speaking circuit on how to get your kids married off. He latest post is like a marriage ad for her 2 oldest sons.

Those mountainside photos resemble Match.com profile pics!

Yes, for all the fundies talk about courtship for one's children, Kelly is the only one who seems to have gotten the whole thing down. I am actually surprised she hasn't given any talks on it yet. Maybe they're waiting for the kids to be married for awhile longer to give her some more cred.

Does anyone know what's up with the "a" in Michael(a)? It seems like in earlier episodes she's been called Michaela (and the pop-up has labeled her as such), but now she goes by Michael? Obviously it's not a huge difference, I'm just curious. Have the Bates mentioned anything about it?

Archived