IGNORED

Bates Updates

BirthingGodsWarriors

Yes and I think it's good for her to not be pregnant yet,although they have my condolences on their pregnancy loss.

I just think it's good for her and Chad to get to live a little and be by themselves,getting to know each other and what they really want,before starting a family.I hope she sees it that way as well,altho I know it may be hard for them seeing Zach and Whit already having a baby.

I do think they will have kids tho,and someday they will look back on this time they had together (before children) and really cherish it. :)

• Replies 896
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Erin looks pregnant, and given that it's been almost 6 months since the miscarriage it isn't all that unlikely either.

I guess we'll know soon enough if she is.

I just watched part two of the tutorial. On viewing part one, I found her warm and genuine, and a pleasure to watch. Hearing her say "don't be askerrd" to try her technique was so adorable I can hardly stand it!

The Bates family are more charming than the Duggars, by leaps and bounds.

The only problem is that they want to make everyone live according to their religion. But it seems that they're somewhat less terrible than the Duggars in this way too. Thoughts?

Eric doesn't say "like" half as much as certain Duggarlings do! :)

PS I love that Chad is willing to film & edit these hair videos. His goofy enthusiasm for Erin is much more likable than Ben "majestic pearls" Seewald's gushing over Jessa. Perhaps because he is significantly older (at least 6 years?) than Ben?

Eric doesn't say "like" half as much as certain Duggarlings do! :)

PS I love that Chad is willing to film & edit these hair videos. His goofy enthusiasm for Erin is much more likable than Ben "majestic pearls" Seewald's gushing over Jessa. Perhaps because he is significantly older (at least 6 years?) than Ben?

Also because Chad's not a complete dill hole like Ben.

I just watched part two of the tutorial. On viewing part one, I found her warm and genuine, and a pleasure to watch. Hearing her say "don't be askerrd" to try her technique was so adorable I can hardly stand it!

The only problem is that they want to make everyone live according to their religion. But it seems that they're somewhat less terrible than the Duggars in this way too. Thoughts?

I think that the Bates parents wouldn't mind all that terribly if one of their children drifted away from fundie. I think most fundie parents would keep contact with their children if this were to happen, save for the really strict one. But the Duggars aren't parents, they're managers of a brand. And if a child breaks free and damages that brand, I don't see JB and Michelle having a difficult time cutting them off.

They are just as awful as the Duggars....PERIOD! That charm is just a facade. Sometimes smiles and Southern accents can fool people. The only thing I'll credit them for is sending some of their kids to college (even if it is Crown College). Other than that, they are just as bad and shitty as the Duggars.

I would say the Bates aren't as bad as the Duggars. It seems that the Bates give their children a lot more freedom than the Duggars. They don't seem to do the accountability partners. I doubt Erin took an accountability partner to college or Alyssa to her job at the florist whereas all signs point to Jana being Jill's while she was training to be a midwife. The Bates also let their children set their own courtship rules whereas despite what the Duggars say I don't believe they do. Michelle's reaction to Jill's split second front hug with Derrick, speaks volumes.

But both families do have very extreme beliefs.

The Bates hold the same toxic beliefs as the D's,and I do think if it weren't for tlc,JB would be on the board of directors for ati,just like Gil is.I think he distances himself from in in that respect,due to the show.I also think they would have books and tapes for sale on the site (advice and singing and violin/harp music),like the Bates do, if it weren't for tlc.

I think someone said Erin DID have an accountability partner for college. (?)

With Gil being on the board,they will not be drifting too far away from ati,at least not publicly.

I would say the Bates aren't as bad as the Duggars. It seems that the Bates give their children a lot more freedom than the Duggars. They don't seem to do the accountability partners. I doubt Erin took an accountability partner to college or Alyssa to her job at the florist whereas all signs point to Jana being Jill's while she was training to be a midwife. The Bates also let their children set their own courtship rules whereas despite what the Duggars say I don't believe they do. Michelle's reaction to Jill's split second front hug with Derrick, speaks volumes.

But both families do have very extreme beliefs.

These are my opinions only.

As far as the Bates vs. Duggars thing, the Bates are indeed better in some respects but just as bad in others. Both have extremely narrow beliefs that have been imposed on their children and that they would like to impose on others as well. Both have managed to limit their children's education and futures.

While the Bates do give their children more leeway in terms of courtship (good) that leeway is the result of one failed courtship after trying to go by the book (bad). While it was good they learned from that courtship "mistake" (good), it caused a lot of probably needless pain and disappointment to their older child (bad). They have "allowed" the kids to attend college, even if its Crown, (good) but remember that Erin had a shot at a real university and there have been some questions about her so-called "decision" to not take advantage of it (bad). Kelly does seem more involved with her children versus J'chelle (good) but still it's going to be a given that daughters will help to raise their siblings simply because of the sheer number of kids (bad). Son Lawson already has his own business and started it at a young age and therefore is ahead of his peers in that respect (good) but his money is used to help support a family because of he has a lazy, grifting, but able bodied dad (bad).

I think the Bates present a more loving picture versus the Duggars (and I do think it's genuine) but also Kelly seems a bit more saavvy as far has how to present the family in her blog to make them seem less extreme.

She actually said "don't be discouraged" not "don't be askerrd".

As far as the Bates vs. Duggars thing, the Bates are indeed better in some respects but just as bad in others. Both have extremely narrow beliefs that have been imposed on their children and that they would like to impose on others as well. Both have managed to limit their children's education and futures.

While the Bates do give their children more leeway in terms of courtship (good) that leeway is the result of one failed courtship after trying to go by the book (bad). While it was good they learned from that courtship "mistake" (good), it caused a lot of probably needless pain and disappointment to their older child (bad). They have "allowed" the kids to attend college, even if its Crown, (good) but remember that Erin had a shot at a real university and there have been some questions about her so-called "decision" to not take advantage of it (bad). Kelly does seem more involved with her children versus J'chelle (good) but still it's going to be a given that daughters will help to raise their siblings simply because of the sheer number of kids (bad). Son Lawson already has his own business and started it at a young age and therefore is ahead of his peers in that respect (good) but his money is used to help support a family because of he has a lazy, grifting, but able bodied dad (bad).

I think the Bates present a more loving picture versus the Duggars (and I do think it's genuine) but also Kelly seems a bit more saavvy as far has how to present the family in her blog to make them seem less extreme.

You've summed up my dilemma pretty well. Add to that the idea that their niceness and charm could potentially attract more people to Gothardism and the Bateses are a Venus fly trap that I *know* they want us to fall into and it's STILL tempting! smh @me. And I haven't forgotten the Nathan Bedford Forrest picture, even though they want us to. :nenner:

She actually said "don't be discouraged" not "don't be askerrd".

:embarrassed:

Well now she's just average charming, instead of folksy adorable!

And I haven't forgotten the Nathan Bedford Forrest picture, even though they want us to. :nenner:

Good point. Both Gil and Kelly are college educated, so they certainly know who he was and that they had a picture of him in their house (living room, I think?) does say a lot about how they actually view him. So chances are the kids have been raised with certain ideas that might put them at odds with living in a more diverse society, which may limit them more. Not all of them are going to stay in Tennessee, the older kids are getting married and moving away so sooner or later one or more of them is going to find themselves possibly living / working where they will have to get along with people not like them.

Good point. Both Gil and Kelly are college educated, so they certainly know who he was and that they had a picture of him in their house (living room, I think?) does say a lot about how they actually view him.

Not necessarily. I am college educated and I had no idea who he was. I also asked a few of my friends (also college educated) and none of them knew of him either. I'm not saying we're the norm but it's not guaranteed that they know just because they attended college.

FTR, I attended a fully accredited state college. <----I'm assuming someone will ask if I attended Clown College or something like it.

Also, I googled him so I know of him now.

I think the Bates' appear more likeable, because they are more realistic about having so many adult children at home. They don't have the finances Boob has. These kids have got to contribute and/or be prepared to totally stand on their own (after marriage, of course. ;) ) They can't purchase homes for the kids or even let them live rent free. They can't set them up with used car lots or towing businesses. Once they finish HS, each kids seems to work. Michael a full time Nanny, Erin with her piano lessons, etc.

In the comments on the most recent blog post Kelly said Bradley's middle name will be Gilvin. Apparently Zach and Whitney are the 5th generation to pass on the name Gilvin.

Did you guys who didn't know who Nathan Bedford Forrest was ever see Forrest Gump? Nathan Bedford Forrest was Forrest Gump's namesake and ancestor. There was a little moment near the start of the movie where Tom Hanks was dressed up as NB Forrest and said that NB liked to dress their horses up in sheets. Or something. It's been a while I saw the movie.

I think the Bates are a more charming couple than the Duggars, but they share very similar fringe beliefs. The Bates appear more lax on courtship and education, but only very slightly. It's almost splitting hairs when you compare them to the Duggars. I've also noticed that Gil is always holding a child, and Mom is always with a child, even though they have a gaggle of teenage daughters to provide free child care. That's a little bit better than the Duggars, especially Jim-Bob, who rarely seem to do one-on-one care of the little ones. The two fathers could be similarly neglectful of the younger children, but from what I've seen on TV, the Bates parents just appear more hands-on. Of course, both families take advantage of their teenage daughters to run their households and care for the younger children.

I think the Bates are more musically inclined, and their children push hard to monetize their talents and minor celebrity status. This could certainly be due to the higher cash reserve the Duggars probably have, whereas the Bates are the more typical fundie family, spread too thin to help their children financially.

Otherwise, the two families are remarkably alike. Having met with some fame through reality TV, both families have parlayed their fame into the fundie circuit (amongst other ventures). I wonder if either men spend any amount of time on their former businesses anymore? At some point, the fame with die down. I wonder what will happen to both families at that point? Back to property rentals and tree trimming business?

I started a new thread for this topic because we are entering a pretty high page count, it can be found here:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=22952

Mods please feel free to create a new thread if I overstepped a boundary.

Archived