IGNORED

House of Paine

singsingsing

J'chelle might not have been a "hosed down with Pepto-Bismol"* type anyway. Wasn't she kind of a tomboy when she was younger?

*Nod to Steel Magnolias

"My colours are Blush and Bashful. Pink is my signature colour."

I love that movie so much. :)

• Replies 292
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pepto-Bismol aside, I LOVE small, wooden houses with porches. That cottage is pretty much my dream home (just drop it near a beach somewhere). Wow. I'm happy for them.

I find the exterior of Chad and Erin's house much more to my taste and Zach and Whitney's. I'd want my beach to be in New England, though.

I've lived in frame homes several times in my life: when I was very small (I'd take my naps on the front porch swing), when I lived off campus at UGA (I'd smoke dope on the front stoop), and when we first moved to Greenville and my girls would use the swing or glider for napping.

Looks like at least two of us got comments in, one under a familiar screen name! ;)

I find the exterior of Chad and Erin's house much more to my taste and Zach and Whitney's. I'd want my beach to be in New England, though.

I've lived in frame homes several times in my life: when I was very small (I'd take my naps on the front porch swing), when I lived off campus at UGA (I'd smoke dope on the front stoop), and when we first moved to Greenville and my girls would use the swing or glider for napping.

I haven't seen Chad and Whitneys. Are there photos up somewhere?

Only the exterior zachandwhitney.blogspot.com/2014/02/snow-day.html?m=1

There is a broken link on the Zach for Mayor thread.

That house is like Pinterest gone wild. I'm surprised there's not more burlap and shabby chic repurposed crap floating around. I've seen various iterations of that shower curtain all over the home decor section of Pinterest lol.

Two things strike me about their decor. First is that there is no art on the wall. Photographs of themselves, but no art photos, nature shots, or even other family members. No art posters or reproductions. No ancestral portraits. I can't imagine such a sterile existence.

Second if you are a guest in their home you can't read in bed. No nightstand, no reading light. I noticed they each have a night stand but the lights look more than arm's distance away so maybe they are controlled with a wall switch.

I'm not sure,but I think fundies aren't allowed real art.I think they can only put family photos and musical instruments on the walls.Anyone know more?I guess they consider anything else too worldly?

Jeannie C. Riley reminds me of this classic number:

EOfrnrDLdSY

LOL she does remind me of Jeannie.I also think she looks sort of like Tammy Wynette.I can even imagine her singing "Stand by Your Man",like she means it. :/

I think perhaps some of the Bates girls could rival Famy in the country music dept.,if they were allowed to try.

And Jessa D. reminds me of Julia Roberts.She has some outstanding features and I think she is a really pretty girl.No telling what she could accomplish if she were allowed to go to Hollywood,imo.

I'm not sure,but I think fundies aren't allowed real art.I think they can only put family photos and musical instruments on the walls.Anyone know more?I guess they consider anything else too worldly?

Well I can see they would not want the Picasso nude that I have hanging in the office but in the kitchen there is a big, bold watercolor of pansies along with a poster of two forks intertwined. What would be wrong with either of those? Or the street scenes of Paris in black and white? Or the Tintoretto reproductions? Every wall in my house has a least one framed piece.

FFS you can have nasty, cheap plastic flowers but no paintings of flowers?

Well I can see they would not want the Picasso nude that I have hanging in the office but in the kitchen there is a big, bold watercolor of pansies along with a poster of two forks intertwined. What would be wrong with either of those? Or the street scenes of Paris in black and white? Or the Tintoretto reproductions? Every wall in my house has a least one framed piece.

I know,fundies are weird.I wonder if it is something Gothard put into ati teachings as his own idea.

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that part of the issue is that every painter has to sketch/paint nude models to learn how to paint. Therefore, this makes them "ungodly" and "defiled." Nobody wants to have art from an ungodly painter, now do they? :?

(The thread title totally cracks me up)

I'm going to hazard a guess and say that part of the issue is that every painter has to sketch/paint nude models to learn how to paint. Therefore, this makes them "ungodly" and "defiled." Nobody wants to have art from an ungodly painter, now do they? :?

I agree!

Maybe the framed photos are all leftovers from their wedding, they had a lot of displays for 800 people, lest they forget who is getting married.

I also agree that Erin just wanted the room to be exactly like that. Good thing Chad lets her proceed, it will turn into something more mature eventually.

To be honest, at first I thought they had two seperate beds...who knows :D

Yes, but what about John McNaughton? Or Thomas Kinkade? :shifty:

LOL she does remind me of Jeannie.I also think she looks sort of like Tammy Wynette.I can even imagine her singing "Stand by Your Man",like she means it. :/

I think perhaps some of the Bates girls could rival Famy in the country music dept.,if they were allowed to try.

And Jessa D. reminds me of Julia Roberts.She has some outstanding features and I think she is a really pretty girl.No telling what she could accomplish if she were allowed to go to Hollywood,imo.

"Harper Valley PTA" is the perfect song for ATI, because you just know that there are all kinds of sordid doings going on behind the scenes of this organization. If I had more time, I'd write a parody version with ATI instead of PTA.

I almost spit out my coffee this yesterday while reading the Washington Post home section and saw a decorator singing the praises of a pale pink tiered ruffled shower curtain:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/ca ... _-11389065

" “This shower curtain is darling,†says Elliott of Urban Outfitters’ Waterfall ruffled shower curtain ($79, www.urbanoutfitters.com). “And pink in a bathroom is so flattering; it casts a rosy glow.†Who wouldn’t want a self-esteem booster while getting ready in the morning? “You’re going to feel good every day because you’re going to look fantastic,†Elliott says."

I almost spit out my coffee this yesterday while reading the Washington Post home section and saw a decorator singing the praises of a pale pink tiered ruffled shower curtain:

http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/urban/ca ... _-11389065

" “This shower curtain is darling,†says Elliott of Urban Outfitters’ Waterfall ruffled shower curtain ($79, http://www.urbanoutfitters.com). “And pink in a bathroom is so flattering; it casts a rosy glow.†Who wouldn’t want a self-esteem booster while getting ready in the morning? “You’re going to feel good every day because you’re going to look fantastic,†Elliott says."

:pink-shock: Reading between the lines, it says clearly that the target audience for that shower curtain is for single, self-conscious women. Ugh :ew:

I used to know the Bates quite well - from the time Michael was a baby until my dad got annoyed with Gil's whole "I refuse to get a real job and will be content to let people who feel sorry for me give me free houses because I can't afford to support my family" shtick. Erin's sofa and living room looks pretty much just like I remember her mom's first living room and sofa... it might even be the same one ;) Also she grew up, at least for their first two houses, sharing a VERY small (about 0x12) room with 4-5 other sibs, so the bedroom thing is definitely from that. Also, I can tell you that I grew up in a fundy Gothard house (we were never as extreme as the Bates but close) and artwork IS actually allowed - we had a lot.

I used to know the Bates quite well - from the time Michael was a baby until my dad got annoyed with Gil's whole "I refuse to get a real job and will be content to let people who feel sorry for me give me free houses because I can't afford to support my family" shtick. Erin's sofa and living room looks pretty much just like I remember her mom's first living room and sofa... it might even be the same one ;) Also she grew up, at least for their first two houses, sharing a VERY small (about 0x12) room with 4-5 other sibs, so the bedroom thing is definitely from that. Also, I can tell you that I grew up in a fundy Gothard house (we were never as extreme as the Bates but close) and artwork IS actually allowed - we had a lot.

Welcome Mirandae!

As someone who knew the Bates in real life, would you be willing to talk more about your impressions of them? I mean, did Gil have the ability to get a real job and is just lazy? Who gave him a free house? Is Kelly sweet all the time? Is Erin really spoiled, or is that just how she comes off on TV?

I'd be really interested to know about how they were before we started seeing them on TV. Before the TLC money, were they as bad off as I always assumed they were?

No need to share anything if you don't feel comfortable! But the talk of free houses and pre-TLC life has really got me interested!

IIRC, Fascinating Womanhood flat-out recommends that level of pink and frou-frou in the bedroom. It's supposed to be "feminine" and make a man feel like everything super dainty, so that his manliness levels can achieve new heights.

Welcome Mirandae!

As someone who knew the Bates in real life, would you be willing to talk more about your impressions of them? I mean, did Gil have the ability to get a real job and is just lazy? Who gave him a free house? Is Kelly sweet all the time? Is Erin really spoiled, or is that just how she comes off on TV?

I'd be really interested to know about how they were before we started seeing them on TV. Before the TLC money, were they as bad off as I always assumed they were?

No need to share anything if you don't feel comfortable! But the talk of free houses and pre-TLC life has really got me interested!

Well, I haven't had anything to do with them in about 12 years, really. I did see them about 4 years ago at the thrift store but I may have put on my sunglasses and gone to the other side of the store to avoid them...

Gil used to work for Nabisco, but got laid off in a cutback after child #7 I think. That's when he just started doing odd jobs because he said a real job would cut down the time he could spend with his family. Also starting around then is when the family started becoming much more conservative - we could never really play with the kids anymore because they had to stay in the room with their parents being quiet and seen and not heard, and when they walked anywhere, even around our house, they had to put their hands on each other's shoulders and walk in a line. When I was around 14 or so they were being kicked out of their rental house and were offered a free house about three hours away, but when they got there it was a dump so they moved back to the knoxville area to another house that was given them free, but was REALLY small - I think that's the one that the Duggar's (for free) enlarged for them. I think that now Gil Bates just cuts trees - he cut one of my grandmother's trees a few months ago.

When we first met them I really liked them and loved hanging out with them - partly because of the free Nabisco products, I admit ;) but I was only about 4 or 5. We originally met because my family was in the Gothard home school program and they were interested in it. Twenty-five years ago everyone in Knoxville who homeschooled knew each other. My family was originally fairly involved in ATI, but to become VERY in, you either have to be rich, pretty and incredibly musically talented, have more than 10 kids, or some combination... we ended up leaving when I was about 16 or 17. The Bates just got more and more involved the more kids they had.

I don't remember Erin being spoiled, but again she was pretty young last time I saw her :) Kelly is generally pretty sweet in public, but she always disapproved of me because I was a tomboy and hated things like cooking and sewing, and liked to talk and give my opinion freely - I once told her that my favorite movie was The Princess Bride and that did NOT go over well!! lol

I also know the Warren family that you sometimes see in their pictures - we met them also because of the homeschool thing and then went to church with them for years. Their dad has the WEIRDEST bible beliefs ever. I know that they went to church with the Bates after us, but I think something happened at that church with the pastor and they all left. I know that we visited one time and were not impressed with the teaching and the lack of accountability for the pastor - no elders or deacons, his word was it. Also there was a visiting pastor who preached for over an hour on the dangers of taking the word "Baptist" out of the church name.

The Bates live near my sister in Halls, who is a manager at Steak n Shake and she says that they eat there regularly, and everyone hates them because they will ask for food to go, to avoid a tip, and then sit down and eat and make a huge mess. They also often ask for free food. Also they act like they don't know her... probably because she wears pants now and isn't married and has two kids. ;) :naughty:

I also met the Duggar's a couple times, when they were in the same family viewing room at the ATI conference with my parents - they only had 7 children at the time and weren't really well known yet.

Archived