IGNORED

Maxwell's lastest post

SPHASH

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How many people who would buy a Moody book have a kid who owns a Kindle?

I suspect they're aiming for families where the MOM has a Kindle (or some other tablet with a Kindle reader application on it), because the Maxwell image always seems to be Mom reading one chapter of Moody to the kids before bedtime and that sort of thing.

Probably still a limited market though.

I think this is a really important point! Looking at the way Mr. Maxwell leads his family of "sheep", it's clear he trains them for the absolute obedience and perfection that God demands in the Old Testament. As for the New Testament, he follows Jesus in word but certainly not in deed. If he let his family "go forth" into the world (even to do the work of Jesus) he would lose his control over them.

:clap: Word.

I think you can read e-books on your computer too, right?

I don't "do" Kindle, but a few years ago an author/series I was very interested in, released a novella that was only available as an e-book.

I downloaded a free "Kindle for PC" program to my computer and then spent $0.99 to buy the e-novella from Amazon.

(And if I'd been really smart, I would have been able to predict that when the next full-length novel came out in print, the novella was printed with it -- so I could have read it then and not messed up reading the series in order… oh well, live and learn)

I guess what I did would work for most e-books, although I'm pretty stupid about that whole world and maybe there are specific brands/flavors of e-books or e-readers that have to match up.

Bumping to report that Sarah has updated with a new post. Once again, she "enjoyed seeing the elderly gather" at a nursing home.

Is it just me, or is "I enjoyed seeing the elderly" a little too close for comfort with "I enjoyed seeing the animals at the zoo," or "I enjoyed seeing the trees changing color during our trip"? Or am I just feeling particularly stabby this morning?? :evil:

Bumping to report that Sarah has updated with a new post. Once again, she "enjoyed seeing the elderly gather" at a nursing home.

Is it just me, or is "I enjoyed seeing the elderly" a little too close for comfort with "I enjoyed seeing the animals at the zoo," or "I enjoyed seeing the trees changing color during our trip"? Or am I just feeling particularly stabby this morning?? :evil:

No, its not just you, other people have commented on it before, about how they refer to the people in their nursing home church as "the elderly" like they are another species.

Do they ever refer to the residents of the nursing home as people?

I'm not surprised, Sarah has a very limited vocabulary. Side effect of not believing in reading anything outside the bible and HTML books.....

No, its not just you, other people have commented on it before, about how they refer to the people in their nursing home church as "the elderly" like they are another species.

It's been a pet peeve of mine since I first started reading about the Maxwells. It seems so typical of how they view the world -- various categories of people who are unlike them in one way or another.

Do they ever refer to the residents of the nursing home as people?

No. The answer is no. They are always the elderly. Never people.

It's been a pet peeve of mine since I first started reading about the Maxwells. It seems so typical of how they view the world -- various categories of people who are unlike them in one way or another.

I have to say... (even if I get burned in a fire after this)... ironic, coming from a free jinger.

I think the book was for the Kindle only.
They don't "believe" in libraries. They feel everyone who reads their books should pay for it[/quote

LOL. Guess I don't do sarcasm very well.

I recall they posted a comment once from someone (likely an FJer) who called them out on calling the nursing home residents "the elderly".

Steve commented back that he found the term precious. Yeah, that's the word he used. Yuck.

When my grandmother was in a nursing home I always referred to the people that lived there as residents of XYZ Home.

My mother in law who is 77 and still lives by herself does not like to be called a senior citizen or elderly.

Call them people, or residents. Elderly is degrading. We could call Sarah brainwashed, or kool aide drinker, but we don't. ;)

You forgot to add doormat to the list.

Not to mention according to the dictionary elderly is an adjective not a noun. Putting a the in front of something doesn't automatically make it a noun.

I have to say... (even if I get burned in a fire after this)... ironic, coming from a free jinger.

I won't burn you in a fire, but, since it was my post you quoted, I will address the differences. I don't think it's ironic at all.

First of all, I don't view 99.9% of the world that way -- I don't condemn, or pity, or think I have the answer to "fix" most of the world, like the Maxwells do.

Everyone's unique, so most people on the planet are unlike me in many ways. There isn't room to list all of the differences here -- gender, nationality, sexuality, habits, tastes, beliefs, etc. My reactions to these differences range from "cool!" to "not my cup of tea, but I'm glad it makes them happy" to "couldn't care less" to "that's just coincidence."

Generally, I think that the way the rest of the world runs their lives is none of my business. I think I'm pretty safe in saying my view of the world is not the same as the way the Maxwells seem to view everyone outside of their little cult.

Why the exception for the snarkees here on FJ? Well, that's been covered many times by many people, but here are some reasons:

- many of these people want to change the world, starting with the US, to a religious state of one kind or another.

- most of them have abominable views of women that, if legislated as they want, would destroy many lives.

- most of them have exceptionally abominable views of single and/or childless women, and those who try to help others raise their children by being professional teachers -- since all of that describes me, I think I have a right to complain about it.

- many of them have other bigotries (race, sexuality, etc.) that offend my sense of right and wrong, and could destroy lives of innocent people.

- many of them undereducate their children.

- many of them use physical pain on their children.

- some of them put their children in danger, and/or underfeed them.

- some of them use their children as chattel, whether it is to do chores and raise siblings or be the Brand Advertisement for the parents' ministry/business.

- they assume I am going to burn in Hell, due to my inability to force myself to believe something they believe. Many of them sound like they are just fine with that.

They are not just different from me, they are different in a way that deeply offends me, and may even lead to changes in the government of my home -- things that are my business. Because I care about children, their particular differences are more horrific to me than than the innocent differences I see between myself and the guy down the street, a woman in Timbuktu, or the men and women living at the local assisted living apartments.

Oh, and another difference -- if someone pointed out to me that my way of describing a group, based on something like their age or nationality, sounded offensive or condescending, I'd change my wording, not defend it as "precious."

When my grandmother was in a nursing home I always referred to the people that lived there as residents of XYZ Home.

My mother in law who is 77 and still lives by herself does not like to be called a senior citizen or elderly.

I doubt my aunt who is almost 89 and still lives my herself would like be called elderly either. She still walks to the post office and library every day and knitted about 80 pairs of mittens for charity last year. I want to be like her when I'm that age.

I'm not surprised, Sarah has a very limited vocabulary. Side effect of not believing in reading anything outside the bible and HTML books.....

No kidding. She wrote, "...a gentleman asked if we could do music at his dad's nursing home." Since when does anyone "do music"? Why didn't Sarah say "play music" or "perform"? Her writing style is incredibly stilted and difficult to read.

" enjoyed seeing the elderly gather. " lol Why do I immediately see a pride of lions at sunset around a pool of water?

Heh. Yeah I was thinking "...and the wildebeest gather around the watering hole..." too! Next thing you know that guy from Mutual of Omaha is gonna show up.

Archived