IGNORED

Maxwell's lastest post

SPHASH

I won't burn you in a fire, but, since it was my post you quoted, I will address the differences. I don't think it's ironic at all.

First of all, I don't view 99.9% of the world that way -- I don't condemn, or pity, or think I have the answer to "fix" most of the world, like the Maxwells do.

Everyone's unique, so most people on the planet are unlike me in many ways. There isn't room to list all of the differences here -- gender, nationality, sexuality, habits, tastes, beliefs, etc. My reactions to these differences range from "cool!" to "not my cup of tea, but I'm glad it makes them happy" to "couldn't care less" to "that's just coincidence."

Generally, I think that the way the rest of the world runs their lives is none of my business. I think I'm pretty safe in saying my view of the world is not the same as the way the Maxwells seem to view everyone outside of their little cult.

Why the exception for the snarkees here on FJ? Well, that's been covered many times by many people, but here are some reasons:

- many of these people want to change the world, starting with the US, to a religious state of one kind or another.

- most of them have abominable views of women that, if legislated as they want, would destroy many lives.

- most of them have exceptionally abominable views of single and/or childless women, and those who try to help others raise their children by being professional teachers -- since all of that describes me, I think I have a right to complain about it.

- many of them have other bigotries (race, sexuality, etc.) that offend my sense of right and wrong, and could destroy lives of innocent people.

- many of them undereducate their children.

- many of them use physical pain on their children.

- some of them put their children in danger, and/or underfeed them.

- some of them use their children as chattel, whether it is to do chores and raise siblings or be the Brand Advertisement for the parents' ministry/business.

- they assume I am going to burn in Hell, due to my inability to force myself to believe something they believe. Many of them sound like they are just fine with that.

They are not just different from me, they are different in a way that deeply offends me, and may even lead to changes in the government of my home -- things that are my business. Because I care about children, their particular differences are more horrific to me than than the innocent differences I see between myself and the guy down the street, a woman in Timbuktu, or the men and women living at the local assisted living apartments.

Oh, and another difference -- if someone pointed out to me that my way of describing a group, based on something like their age or nationality, sounded offensive or condescending, I'd change my wording, not defend it as "precious."

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Thanks, Marrrrrrrrr --- ian (sorry, have to sing it).

It occurred to me that my post could be read in a huffy tone, which was not how it was written. Vincentvangogo, I meant it when I said I didn't want to burn you -- it was more a matter of thinking you'd sort of lost track of why many of us snark.

Are there people here who mock folks just for being different from them? Maybe. But I think most of it is sincere concern/disgust about their actions, as it is for me.

Hope that makes it clear why I wrote what I did -- not shooting you down, just a "hmmmm, I don't see it as the same thing at all; maybe I can explain" answer.

:lol:

Your comment about fundies having exceptionally abominable views of single and/or childless women rang especially true for me - and (in the spirit of sung quotes from The Music Man) also made me think of a scene with Marian Paroo and her mother:

Marian:

Now, Mama,

As long as the Madison Public Library was entrusted to me for the purpose of improving River City's cultural level,

I can't help my concern that the Ladies of River City

Keep ignoring all my counsel and advice.

Mrs. Paroo:

But, darlin'--when a woman has a husband

And you've got none,

Why should she take advice from you?

Even if you can quote Balzac and Shakespeare

And all them other highfalutin' Greeks.

It occurred to me that my post could be read in a huffy tone, which was not how it was written. Vincentvangogo, I meant it when I said I didn't want to burn you -- it was more a matter of thinking you'd sort of lost track of why many of us snark.

Are there people here who mock folks just for being different from them? Maybe. But I think most of it is sincere concern/disgust about their actions, as it is for me.

Hope that makes it clear why I wrote what I did -- not shooting you down, just a "hmmmm, I don't see it as the same thing at all; maybe I can explain" answer.

I don't feel crispy at all ;) Actually it's good that you pointed out why we snark here, I needed that clafification. I became "conflicted" myself when I was watching a youtube video where woman asks "do you want to look at back to your life and see all the negativities you spued" and "why would anybody want to do that when you can share love, positivity and joy?" After that I wondered is it okay for me to post here or not.

And coming back to this thread, I knew everybody would "love" your post and "hate" mine.

I don't feel crispy at all ;) Actually it's good that you pointed out why we snark here, I needed that clafification. I became "conflicted" myself when I was watching a youtube video where woman asks "do you want to look at back to your life and see all the negativities you spued" and "why would anybody want to do that when you can share love, positivity and joy?" After that I wondered is it okay for me to post here or not.

And coming back to this thread, I knew everybody would "love" your post and "hate" mine.

I don't think it's wrong to say negative things if they're true. Saying those things in a (darkly) humorous manner doesn't change that.

I think anger is a critically important emotion for humans to feel. The "don't say anything negative" mantras seem to me to come from a place of repression and control. In my own life, everyone I've encountered who had a bee in their bonnet about "not putting out negative energy" was toxic and abusive, without exception. The people I've met who were truly all about positivity and love weren't policing other people's words and behaviors.

Anger is a precious gift. It brings us together and drives us to fight for change. To quote St. Augustine,"Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage."

I think anger is a critically important emotion for humans to feel. The "don't say anything negative" mantras seem to me to come from a place of repression and control. In my own life, everyone I've encountered who had a bee in their bonnet about "not putting out negative energy" was toxic and abusive, without exception. The people I've met who were truly all about positivity and love weren't policing other people's words and behaviors.

Anger is a precious gift. It brings us together and drives us to fight for change. To quote St. Augustine,"Hope has two beautiful daughters: their names are Anger and Courage."

Sparkling Lauren anyone?

Aw, only a few people "liked" mine, and I doubt that people hated yours. You don't have a history of handslapping others or white-knighting hateful fundies here.

I'm glad my posts made sense to you, and that you don't feel fried, roasted or stewed (uh-oh -- song cue). :D

As Dysfundamental said, often the people pushing others towards "no negative energy" are not really helpful. I've had similar experiences to hers, and most of them were saying "please don't hold me responsible for how I've hurt others," so I'm glad yours came from a stranger on a Youtube video and not a friend or family member.

St. Augustine had a point -- there is such a thing as anger that inspires us. You might think of it this way; being against the stuff you consider harmful is being positive and working (well, in the case of a forum, discussing) for the good.

IRL, I try to make the way I behave, teach and vote express what I believe about trying to eliminate bigotry, men and women respecting one another as equals, teaching children and animals with kindness rather than pain, etc. I do it with positive action, not snark.

FJ is a place where I can learn about the people who may be blocking such efforts, and express my frustration about them with people who understand. Sometimes that frustration makes me pretty darned snarky, and I tend to use humor, trying to show the ridiculous side of their ugliness.

But that's me -- if you are really getting ill-at-ease about snarking, do what works for you. For some people, being vocal about what they hate does bring them down, rather than feeling like part of the good fight.

I wonder if the Maxwell's have obtained permission to use pictures of "the elderly" from their latest nursing home visit? I am pretty sure you cannot take pictures of residents of a care facility, especially if you intend to publish them, without getting permission from each person. Let's assume some of the individuals photographed might have dementia, in which case they couldn't really give consent.

If they sought and obtained the proper permission, then that's fine. But I wouldn't put it past them to be arrogant enough to assume they can publish pictures of the precious, sweet, elderly to promote the dog and pony show.

Something to think about, eh, Stevie?

I wonder if the Maxwell's have obtained permission to use pictures of "the elderly" from their latest nursing home visit? I am pretty sure you cannot take pictures of residents of a care facility, especially if you intend to publish them, without getting permission from each person. Let's assume some of the individuals photographed might have dementia, in which case they couldn't really give consent.

If they sought and obtained the proper permission, then that's fine. But I wouldn't put it past them to be arrogant enough to assume they can publish pictures of the precious, sweet, elderly to promote the dog and pony show.

Something to think about, eh, Stevie?

This was true of the facility I lived in for a few years. I was in charge of the newsletter there and had a column where I interviewed a resident each month. I always had to get a signed release from the person if I wanted to include any pictures of them in the article or for any other pictures I took (parties and events, etc). We had a children's wing and for them, the parents had to sign off on any releases for pictures - most didn't.

I don't know why people expect to be ripped to shreds here if they have a dissenting opinion. You might be engaged in a debate where you find yourself defending your point of view, but I think that's a healthy thing. I know I've been raked over the coals on a couple of occasions, but so what? I'm an adult, I can engage in debate. Having your viewpoint challenged is how a normal person learns and grows.

Nobody hated your post. People didn't fawn over the post that opposed your comment.

I'm not saying that nobody has ever suffered a pile-on on this site, but the idea that everyone here is a hive mind that will always rabidly latch onto a dissenting voice is an unfair one. Usually whenever somebody has an opinion that goes against common sentiment there are at least a few people who agree. Never feel you have to hold back your true feelings on the site. If someone questions them, it's not personal.

If I were ever stuck in a nursing home, I might want to see the singing but I sure as hell would hate having to listen to the Maxwell's testimonies.

If I were ever stuck in a nursing home, I might want to see the singing but I sure as hell would hate having to listen to the Maxwell's testimonies.

Same here.

Same here.

I don't even want to listen to their singing. I heard the clips of their CD and they sound a cat in heat.

I really hope the home the go to is like the one my Grandad was placed in, where residents are allowed to choose which recreational activities to attend. If they wanted to go to sermons, they could. If they didn't want to go, they didn't have to. I really hate to think that those poor "precious" people are literally a captive audience.

If they love 'the elderly' so much, why don't they do something useful? Performances are nice, but maybe do some stuff that isn't religious? Maybe help the staff prepare some food or help make and serve tea and coffee at lunch or afternoon tea?

Can you imagine what the residents must have thought when they were told that a family had come to perform a Christmas program for them? They probably expected the usual fare, with "Jingle Bells" and "White Christmas" mixed in with the more religious songs such as "Silent Night" and "Away In A Manger." They may also have expected someone to read the Biblical account of the birth of Jesus, with perhaps a nice poem or two.

I can just imagine their impeccable good taste: :roll:

"Do you know where you will go when you die, because it's probably going to be REALLY SOON!

:shock:

Can you imagine what the residents must have thought when they were told that a family had come to perform a Christmas program for them? They probably expected the usual fare, with "Jingle Bells" and "White Christmas" mixed in with the more religious songs such as "Silent Night" and "Away In A Manger." They may also have expected someone to read the Biblical account of the birth of Jesus, with perhaps a nice poem or two.

Right, instead of hearing all about death and being reminded they are all on the doorstep due to their age and/or ailments. Nothing says Christmas like a good testimony of being saved from the fires of hell before you DIE!

ETA: Jinx, Thoughtful! :)

Because all thet don't care about bodily things. (Besides, special afternoon teas promote gluttony and probably require food handling certification which I doubt they'd bother with).

They just care about the elderlies souls. Where are they going when they die?

I wonder if any of the residents of the nursing home think that they don't want to go to any place where the Maxhells might be when they die. Didn't Huck Finn feel that way when the Widow Douglas tried to make him into a good Christian that he'd rather not end up where she was going?

Can you imagine how boring the testimonies of the children would be. For example I was saved from a life of gluttony because I wanted more than two animal crackers or I was saved from a life of idolatry because I loved my Pepsi.

Right, instead of hearing all about death and being reminded they are all on the doorstep due to their age and/or ailments. Nothing says Christmas like a good testimony of being saved from the fires of hell before you DIE!

ETA: Jinx, Thoughtful! :)

GMTA (she abbreviated, modestly)!

Update! Update! Aunties and nieces making sugar cookies together while their mommy and daddy went on a Christmas date! Sounds.....very sweet. I'll have to check again to see if Sarah is actually on any of the photos...

Update! Update! Aunties and nieces making sugar cookies together while their mommy and daddy went on a Christmas date! Sounds.....very sweet. I'll have to check again to see if Sarah is actually on any of the photos...

It actually was a very sweet post. All the sisters, little and grown, look genuinely happy.

Of course, this being the Maxwells, they had to throw folding clothes in there too. Can't have all fun and games, ya know.

Yes, that was a genuinely sweet post (can't believe I'm using the word "sweet" to describe the Maxwells...). Oh the horror, they clearly had FUN! Something to think about, Stevie. The Daddy Tape you made for lil' Nate obviously failed.

On another note... there is something about Mary and her very kind face that make me want to rescue her every time I see her.

Archived