IGNORED

Maxwell's lastest post

SPHASH

I think that Abigail & Bethany love spending time w/ their aunts. I wonder if Melanie's unmarried siblings (if she has any) or as involved as they r.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Maxwell's are my gateway fundies. Melanie has a couple of unmarried sisters who do not lead fundie (though perhaps fundie light?) lives. I've seen their FB profiles. They dress normally, seem to go to concerts, movies etc. The one sings in a country band and does some modeling work. The other recently finished nursing school and the family threw what they called an "epic party" for her and some classmates. Looked like a good time with regular music. One of Melanie's sisters posted a picture of Nathan and Melanie's daughters at the party.

I'm glad to hear that Nathan and Melanie socialize with her family. That's great news.

No mention in today's blog post of how last night was spent at the Maxwells. I feel a bit deprived of the sermon. :wink-kitty:

I'm glad to hear that Nathan and Melanie socialize with her family. That's great news.

No mention in today's blog post of how last night was spent at the Maxwells. I feel a bit deprived of the sermon. :wink-kitty:

Do they really cry and moan over the heathens that go out on New Years Eve?

The Maxwell's are my gateway fundies. Melanie has a couple of unmarried sisters who do not lead fundie (though perhaps fundie light?) lives. I've seen their FB profiles. They dress normally, seem to go to concerts, movies etc. The one sings in a country band and does some modeling work. The other recently finished nursing school and the family threw what they called an "epic party" for her and some classmates. Looked like a good time with regular music. One of Melanie's sisters posted a picture of Nathan and Melanie's daughters at the party.

Thanks for posting this information. I'm glad that Nathan's kids can see a different way of life. Although I bet Steve had a fit when he found out what his grand kids were exposed to.

That's really happy news.

Thanks for posting this information. I'm glad that Nathan's kids can see a different way of life. Although I bet Steve had a fit when he found out what his grand kids were exposed to.

He probably had a fit when he found out that Nathan was there, let alone the grandchildren. But I'm glad that Nathan gets to be around regular people. Maybe someday he'll play sports again!

Its good that Melanie has normal relatives and her, Nathan and the kids are exposed to them.

Agree! Although I am sure that Steve has a fit everytime he hears what they r exposed to.

Agree! Although I am sure that Steve has a fit everytime he hears what they r exposed to.

One day Mary may even learn the real words to "Row, row, row your boat" from one of her nieces (who learned it from one an aunt on the other side of the family). I wonder what Steve's reaction will be:

1. Ban them from the house

2. Fear for their eternal souls and work harder to keep his grandkids on the straight and narrow.

3. Admit to himself that he can't keep his children as free from contamination as he would like and relaxes his ridiculous standards just the teeniest bit.

I'm guessing it won't be option C.

Was wondering the same thing.

None. The Maxwells learn everything from books. It doesn't matter if it's photography or HTML or music. All their instruments are learned by following printed instructions.

According to one of Steve's 'Corners' they stick to hymns and spiritual songs where ever possible, but the basic instruction books all have some secular content so such heathen stuff can't be entirely avoided. In order to prevent the reversal children from being contaminated (by a "Row, row, row your boat" earworm), he and Teri white out the words.

I am glad to hear that Melanie still has ties to her normal family and she and Nathan do see them. That's bound to offset Maxhell a bit but agree Steve probably isn't thrilled to know they see them and therefore be exposed to other "influences". But then again, what's he gonna do? Tell Nathan that he can't see his kids' other grandparents and in-law family? He wasn't so much down the fundie rabbithole when Mel and Nathan got married so he was OK enough with things then. If he had serious objections then he would have probably gotten his way. Or he figured that Mel would just be completely absorbed into Maxhell but that obviously that hasn't happened. So somewhere either Nathan put his foot down or Steve just grumbles under his breath.

None. The Maxwells learn everything from books. It doesn't matter if it's photography or HTML or music. All their instruments are learned by following printed instructions.

According to one of Steve's 'Corners' they stick to hymns and spiritual songs where ever possible, but the basic instruction books all have some secular content so such heathen stuff can't be entirely avoided. In order to prevent the reversal children from being contaminated (by a "Row, row, row your boat" earworm), he and Teri white out the words.

Wow. Just wow.

Just when I think the stories of the level of Steve's control can't get any crazier and I've finally adjusted myself to their cracked out way of seeing the world. I can't even imagine your sense of perspective getting so far away from you that you find yourself kneeling on your living room floor while your schoolage kids are in bed, eagerly censoring the words to "Hot Cross Buns" and "Shave and a Haircut" with a white out dispenser.

I know this has been dissected many times before, but I still can't understand how living this way is supposed to be following the teachings of a man who (according to the Bible they believe is inerrantly true) completely rebelled against the social mores of his time, stepping outside of his religion and social caste to associate with a wide variety of people (almost always the mentally ill, the destitute, prostitutes, thieves, religious fringe groups).

I wonder what they do to the "children" when they have to go to places like Costco or the Supermarket. All stores where I live play ebil secular muzak. Are they made to wear earplugs? Maybe that's why they all carry iphones. They plug their ears and put their phones to vibrate in their pocket. They then text each other to communicate. :cray-cray:

I wonder what they do to the "children" when they have to go to places like Costco or the Supermarket. All stores where I live play ebil secular muzak. Are they made to wear earplugs? Maybe that's why they all carry iphones. They plug their ears and put their phones to vibrate in their pocket. They then text each other to communicate. :cray-cray:

The scary part is that scenario is probably exactly how they avoid contamination while shopping.

Steve would probably strongly object to the words "life is but a dream." Hmmm, what could he change it to?

He also probably also objects to the word "merrily" used 4x in a row. Life is not merry my friends. :snooty:

Do you know where you will go when you die?

Teri has written about how they have their family celebration on Christmas Eve so Melanie can have the "freedom" to spend Christmas Day with her family. Is that her once a year get-out-of-Maxhell free card?

Teri has written about how they have their family celebration on Christmas Eve so Melanie can have the "freedom" to spend Christmas Day with her family. Is that her once a year get-out-of-Maxhell free card?

Well geez, how very charitable of them..... :roll:

Wow. Just wow.

Just when I think the stories of the level of Steve's control can't get any crazier and I've finally adjusted myself to their cracked out way of seeing the world. I can't even imagine your sense of perspective getting so far away from you that you find yourself kneeling on your living room floor while your schoolage kids are in bed, eagerly censoring the words to "Hot Cross Buns" and "Shave and a Haircut" with a white out dispenser.

I know this has been dissected many times before, but I still can't understand how living this way is supposed to be following the teachings of a man who (according to the Bible they believe is inerrantly true) completely rebelled against the social mores of his time, stepping outside of his religion and social caste to associate with a wide variety of people (almost always the mentally ill, the destitute, prostitutes, thieves, religious fringe groups).

Beats the hell out of me (ha ha, no pun intended). :confusion-shrug:

I'm reading a book called "The Upside Down Kingdom", about how Jesus completely flipped the religious, social and military expectations of the Messiah into something that managed to offend pretty much everyone. He stirred things up. He hung out with people who were unclean nine ways to Sunday according to the Pharisees. He called them names and made jokes at their expense in public. He healed people who were hurting and forgave people who were unforgivable in that society.

How sitting at home, polishing kitchen cabinets, and writing books that tell everyone to live just like you do is following Jesus is just.....seriously, WTH? I would love to pick their brains on that but I know they'd never answer.

I may have found a secular song (or least three lines of the chorus) that Stevehovah might approve of: Lake of Fire by the Meat Puppets. Nirvana performed at the Unplugged in New York show. Here are the lyrics.

Where do bad folks go when they die?

They don't go to heaven where the angels fly

They go to a lake of fire and fry

Won't see 'em again till the 4th of July

Oh, I knew a lady who came from Duluth

Who got bit by a dog with a rabid tooth

She went to her grave, a little too soon

And flew laid down on the yellow moon

Where do bad folks go when they die?

They don't go to heaven where the angels fly

They go to a lake of fire and fry

Won't see 'em again till the 4th of July