IGNORED

Maxwell's lastest post

SPHASH

No more details, but just want to add that all those businesses are part of the family business hive, which they call "Communication Concepts, Inc" (and their URL is www dot we-communcate dot com, because they are the master of dead webpages where the title has nothing to do with the URL).

"We are selective in the clients that we choose to work with and promote."

Blech. Someday this attitude is going to come back and bite Stevie in the butt. Hope he's got a backup plan.

• Replies 639
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nathan (oldest) runs OneTonRamp.

Christopher has a (bad) photography business and I assume helps some with OneTonRamp.

Joseph knows enough about construction/remodeling to probably end up with lots of jobs if they are good enough for him.

John is adorable and who knows WTF he does. He and Joseph used to do remodeling together, but they haven't talked about that business for a long time so who knows if it's still operating. And he won't be allowed a courtship until Joseph is married off, I'm pretty sure.

Jesse must make money somehow, probably also involved in OneTonRamp.

Anyone else have any other details?

Like most fundie families, most of the Maxwells do nothing and yet are still surviving. I really don't understand it. How do these people live comfortably when they don't do shit?

"We are selective in the clients that we choose to work with and promote."

Blech. Someday this attitude is going to come back and bite Stevie in the butt. Hope he's got a backup plan.

*leaping up onto my little soapbox here*

Help me understand here, FJers. The Maxwells are "selective" of their clients, presumably selecting only like-minded hardline fundamentalists with whom they will bless their talents. But does the Bible not say to go forth and be fishers of men? Isn't that the Great Commission, to spread the word to the masses, gather them all up in the fishnet of the Word, and dump them all at the feet of Jesus? So by keeping damn near everyone at arms-length or further, exactly how will Stevus tell the LORD at his day of reckoning how he carried out this command?

Jesus Himself hung out with people we'd side-eye. That was the whole POINT of Jesus, to bring people together, even if they aren't just like everyone else. If this were a real Biblical company, a real New Testament, Jesus-based company, they would seek out "sinners" and offer their services if only to be able to preach the Word.

I. do. not. get. these. people!

Like most fundie families, most of the Maxwells do nothing and yet are still surviving. I really don't understand it. How do these people live comfortably when they don't do shit?

I think they bring in much more from their traveling shows than any of us realize.

I think they bring in much more from their traveling shows than any of us realize.

Do you think Steve shares the wealth with all his kids though? I just wonder about the distribution of assets amongst the group.

There are a lot of fundie homeschoolers in this country. I think their books probably still sell pretty well, both at their conferences and online. Their overhead is very low because they write, edit, photograph, publish and ship everything themselves.

Signed, the woman who bought MOTH not once, but TWICE...and ended up chucking it in the trash both times.

Help me understand here, FJers. The Maxwells are "selective" of their clients, presumably selecting only like-minded hardline fundamentalists with whom they will bless their talents. But does the Bible not say to go forth and be fishers of men? Isn't that the Great Commission, to spread the word to the masses, gather them all up in the fishnet of the Word, and dump them all at the feet of Jesus? So by keeping damn near everyone at arms-length or further, exactly how will Stevus tell the LORD at his day of reckoning how he carried out this command?

Jesus Himself hung out with people we'd side-eye. That was the whole POINT of Jesus, to bring people together, even if they aren't just like everyone else. If this were a real Biblical company, a real New Testament, Jesus-based company, they would seek out "sinners" and offer their services if only to be able to preach the Word.

I. do. not. get. these. people!

:clap: Word.

Do you think Steve shares the wealth with all his kids though? I just wonder about the distribution of assets amongst the group.

No doubt he shares with his sons, so they can buy there houses debt free. His daughters probably get enough to save so they can buy Christmas and birthday presents.

See bolded (mine) - you may have partially answered your own question. Homecooked meals, no booze, doubt much is spent on clothing or entertainment (what's that?), they travel together, and many appear to live in relatively low-cost areas. I think there's also a solid mutual determination to be frugal, which isn't in itself a bad thing.

What I don't understand is how these families pay for medical/dental expenses. With so many kids-- or, in the Maxwells' case, with parents who are getting into their 50s and 60s-- one major illness can wipe out a family. I mean, what if a kid's appendix bursts or an older parent flunks their stress test and needs heart surgery? Yeah, I know there's that Samaritan's insurance, but do they really come through when someone gets sick?

I wonder how financially independent the married sons are. We've seen them referred to as "extended family," or something like that on earlier posts, but they seem to be securely under Steve's thumb (or at least that's how they're presented in the posts). Leave and cleave indeed.

What I don't understand is how these families pay for medical/dental expenses. With so many kids-- or, in the Maxwells' case, with parents who are getting into their 50s and 60s-- one major illness can wipe out a family. I mean, what if a kid's appendix bursts or an older parent flunks their stress test and needs heart surgery? Yeah, I know there's that Samaritan's insurance, but do they really come through when someone gets sick?

I can only imagine how many tens of thousands the hospital bills were for Susannah. And Abby also spent several days in the NICU as I recall. Did Samaritan really cover all those bills?

I wonder how financially independent the married sons are. We've seen them referred to as "extended family," or something like that on earlier posts, but they seem to be securely under Steve's thumb (or at least that's how they're presented in the posts). Leave and cleave indeed.

I always wonder the same thing. I wonder if Steve still try's to financially control his married sons. If he does that wouldn't surprise me one bit.

I can only imagine how many tens of thousands the hospital bills were for Susannah. And Abby also spent several days in the NICU as I recall. Did Samaritan really cover all those bills?

According to some article they did, Samaritan did pay for it.

But all the Dr visits and dental work, ask of that is out of pocket.

They are the holy Maxwells and they have quite a following in the uber-conservative homeschooling community (which, as I understand, are a big part of the community that uses Scamaritan). I'm willing to bet that there would be a large number of families who would be willing to contribute to their appeal and I'm confident the system works quite well for them. I wonder how well it works for the average fundie family-the ones without a big internet following who just plod along struggling to keep their eleventy kids sort-of fed and clothed if they find themselves with a horrendous bill for something not 'sexy' (ie not a baby or a sick child). What if the self employed father has an accident at work and needs a shoulder reconstruction? What happens if the mother needs a gall bladder out? I wonder how many ppl are lining up waiting to help them?

They sell their wares, and get love offerings for their ministry. Their trips are deductible (since they are a for profit company) and likely many "love offerings" are not taxable because they are gifts of less than what, 10 K from each person? (no longer sure of the tax rules on this)

They self publish their books, don't pay a book doctor or editor, so it is like having a bake sale except with books... cost of their time is not likely included (what else do they have to do) but cost of printing/shipping is their only cost.

They sell their wares, and get love offerings for their ministry. Their trips are deductible (since they are a for profit company) and likely many "love offerings" are not taxable because they are gifts of less than what, 10 K from each person? (no longer sure of the tax rules on this)

They self publish their books, don't pay a book doctor or editor, so it is like having a bake sale except with books... cost of their time is not likely included (what else do they have to do) but cost of printing/shipping is their only cost.

They do pay a proofreader but I doubt that person makes a whole lot!

Really? That would be surprising. I would love to see a Venn diagram showing uber-religious, home schoolers who buy the Moody books overlapping with people who use a Kindle. It can't be a big overlap. Why would you limit your market?

They don't "believe" in libraries. They feel everyone who reads their books should pay for it. :cray-cray:

IT IS A MINISTRY, PEOPLE!

Of course the sheeple should pay.

IT IS A MINISTRY, PEOPLE!

Of course the sheeple should pay.

Yep, and they should pay for those priceless pearls of wisdom set forth in their books. :roll:

Really? That would be surprising. I would love to see a Venn diagram showing uber-religious, home schoolers who buy the Moody books overlapping with people who use a Kindle. It can't be a big overlap. Why would you limit your market?

I read Kindle books on my Android phone and my computer, but I am not a child. Kid's books would be far less valuable if the kid doesn't have a Kindle or a tablet, or the actual book. However, you have to sell far fewer kindle books than hard copy books to make your money, since you have no printing or shipping costs.

Archived