IGNORED

Erin Bates's Wedding - Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 333
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i like kelly, i think underneath all the 'keep sweet, keep sweet' shit, she knows how to play ball.

She has a shit-eatin' grin that totally sells her out. IMO, she's no better than Michelle Duggar.

She has a shit-eatin' grin that totally sells her out. IMO, she's no better than Michelle Duggar.

This. She knows exactly what she is doing just as J'chelle does too. The "keep sweet" demeanor and talk is just simply that.

I have to have a shallow moment and say all the Bates girls are so pretty, especially Tori & Carlin!

I agree.

I think Kelley was a very nice looking young girl. She doesn't look to bad to have had 19 kids.

Kelly December 30, 2013 at 4:08 am

Dear Denise,

I think its normal to have a little bit of anxiousness about that first kiss, in front of so many! Chad and Erin’s innocence was cute. We actually spent time talking about it, so during the ceremony Chad turned and tilted in such a way that the crowd could only see the back of Erin’s veil. It was a sweet moment. The funniest was hearing them share about pulling over on the side of the road after leaving their wedding, to try to learn how to perfect the skill… Precious innocence, and the joys of learning together! Erin told me later, she wouldn’t trade waiting for their first kiss for anything! It was so special for both of them to know they had waited for that moment! Love, Kelly

They pulled off the road to kiss immediately after the wedding?? I've noticed that Erin doesn't seem as happy in the more recent pictures (not the ones on Kelly's blog; I'm talking about the candids pics that others have taken after they returned) . At least, (I'm assuming) the wedding night was hot.

Someone asked Kelly (in the comments section of one of the wedding pic posts) about what would happen if one of the kids was gay. Her answer was a wordy 'God says no.'

Someone asked Kelly (in the comments section of one of the wedding pic posts) about what would happen if one of the kids was gay. Her answer was a wordy 'God says no.'

Um... okay.

I think Kirk Cameron answered the same question once and said something along the lines of "Gee, I would love my kid, but only if s/he didn't commit ebil, sinful gay sex. Not a sin to be gay, but to act on it."

i like kelly, i think underneath all the 'keep sweet, keep sweet' shit, she knows how to play ball.

And abuse her children.

Kimbelrly December 30, 2013 at 7:10 pm

One of my favorite pictures was the one where Erin and Chad are praying behind the door so they could not see each other. Such a lovely picture. I was wondering if Michael was the creature of Erin’s wedding gown.

. Kelly December 30, 2013 at 9:37 pm

Dear Kimberly,

No, it was on the reduced rack at David’s Bridals, but was altered by their seamstress to raise the neckline and back, and add sleeves. Love, Kelly

Poor Micheal! Creature? Oh well, it looks like the chick couldn't even spell her own name right.

Here's Kelly's response:

Dear Jane,

If I bought a car and wanted to know how to have it last and run at its very best, I would need to consult the makers of that car, or the owner’s manual, to find out what the instructions are for proper care and use. Likewise, we have a Creator who knows what is best for us. He knows what will bring us the most joy, and Him the most glory. He has left us a manual, as well, the Bible. We encourage all of our children to follow God’s plan for their lives. Living outside of God’s plan will only bring temporary happiness at best, and it will most definitely end in heartache and despair. God’s Word is very clear to us on this subject. His will is one man and one woman, for life! To someone who might not know the Lord, His restrictions might seem harsh and unloving. Quite the contrary is experienced by those who know and love Him. His ways are best for us, even if we don’t understand. A two year old might cry because his parents buckle him in a car seat. limiting his freedom. The loving parent knows, however, that the car seat will protect him from calamity. Love, Kelly

Just lovely. The Bates are no better than the Duggars, they're just better at hiding what makes them the same.

Here's Kelly's response:

Just lovely. The Bates are no better than the Duggars, they're just better at hiding what makes them the same.

I want to puke...

I don't think the Bateses are trying to hide anything. I'm sure the Bateses don't feel like they have anything to hide... they truly believe that homosexuality is a horrible sin and that everyone should know it. People like them better than the Duggars for whatever reason, so they assume that they must have 'better' beliefs, but it's all projection.

She says her objection to homosexuality is because God created marriage as one man and one woman forever (and I won't even start on the biblical inaccuracies of that), but I'm sure she could entertain the concept of forgiving a child who had pre or extra marital heterosexual sex, although she can't entertain that concept for a hypothetical gay child. It's not about God's law, it's about multigenerational bigotry.

I agree that she doesn't see it as something to hide though, and her response doesn't surprise me in the least. "Allowing" her adult son to hug his fiancé and her adult daughter to hold hands with hers and arranging to marry off her barely adult daughter into a conservative political family - the usual evidence given for her being somehow nicer than the Duggars - doesn't seem terribly liberal or laudable to me.

I get the feeling that Kelly might be able to find it within herself to 'forgive' a gay child if it turned out to be a reality in her life. You see this syndrome with people a lot: it's horrible and wrong until it happens to them, and then suddenly it's a lot more complicated. So abortion is murder until they need an abortion, or being gay is evil until one of their children is gay, or gay people should never have children, until their gay child has a child and then they can't imagine life without that grandchild...

She says her objection to homosexuality is because God created marriage as one man and one woman forever (and I won't even start on the biblical inaccuracies of that), but I'm sure she could entertain the concept of forgiving a child who had pre or extra marital heterosexual sex, although she can't entertain that concept for a hypothetical gay child. It's not about God's law, it's about multigenerational bigotry.

I agree that she doesn't see it as something to hide though, and her response doesn't surprise me in the least. "Allowing" her adult son to hug his fiancé and her adult daughter to hold hands with hers and arranging to marry off her barely adult daughter into a conservative political family - the usual evidence given for her being somehow nicer than the Duggars - doesn't seem terribly liberal or laudable to me.

Agreed. She plays a good game of looking more (for lack of a better term) liberal and more open such as her switching to supporting "dating with a purpose" after Zach's first courtship flamed out, plus she and Gil are "allowing" their adult children to court but underneath it all, she and Gil are really no better than the Duggars. Both families espouse the same dangerouse ATI beliefs, they just know how to put a better face on it.

I get the feeling that Kelly might be able to find it within herself to 'forgive' a gay child if it turned out to be a reality in her life. You see this syndrome with people a lot: it's horrible and wrong until it happens to them, and then suddenly it's a lot more complicated. So abortion is murder until they need an abortion, or being gay is evil until one of their children is gay, or gay people should never have children, until their gay child has a child and then they can't imagine life without that grandchild...

This is what I always say about folks like this: they think bad stuff like a gay child, or needing an abortion, sickness, etc. is stuff that only happens to "other people" until one day they find they are that "other people".

With them being that deep in ATI and seeing how other many ATI families have dealt with gay children, I don't think having a gay child would change their perspective at all. I don't understand why people think she is a better, nicer, more understanding mother than Michelle.

With them being that deep in ATI and seeing how other many ATI families have dealt with gay children, I don't think having a gay child would change their perspective at all. I don't understand why people think she is a better, nicer, more understanding mother than Michelle.

I think they think that (and I do, too, to a certain extent) because of what the previous couple of posters have said: she's changed her views in the past when they don't work for their family. I can't imagine Michelle doing that. It's definitely NOT as good as being open-minded about everything from the beginning, but it's a hell of a lot better than what other fundie families have done or we could imagine doing.

It's all about perspective. Compared to Michelle, I can see why people think Kelly is the better mother. Like others said, when she saw Zach suffer because of the courtship rules, she changed them without thinking about what other families might think of them. Can you see Michelle doing something like that for a child?

I don't think they have changed their views, just the wording to make it present better to the outside world. I doubt they are able to easily control a house full of teens/young adults, so the easiest thing to do is make it sound so easy and liberal and fun! that they are marrying them off so quickly. Reality is, they are probably losing control of them and needed a way to make sure they were still kept safely in Gothards arms. "Dating with a purpose" sounds so much better than courting, and probably tends to not scare as many potential spouses away.

They still beat their kids and take money from their adult son. They think everybody not like them are going to hell. They still keep their circle small and inclusive. They still raise their kids in abject ignorance (sorry, innocence) to make sure they love the Jesus and Gothard above all else. They still raise their girls to think that they aren't worth any more than the worth of their uterus and housekeeping skills. They keep them all so uneducated that they're destined to live a life on the edge of poverty, unless the reality shows stick around.

Not really sure why everybody likes them so much, or claims that they're better than the Duggars. They're just the same.

Archived