IGNORED

The Courtship of Jessa Duggar - Part 2

happy atheist

There are a ton of dresses with sleeves now. I guess you can thank Duchess Kate for that. Hopefully Jessa can find something nice without having to sew a t-shirt underneath a regular strapless dress.

I've been wondering - do fundies consider lace/sheer materials immodest? I've wondered if lace boleros and lace sleeves are considered okay, have kind of assumed no because otherwise wouldn't we be seeing lots of them from fundie brides? Looking through the link of pre-specials photo album posted in "Too Many Seasons and Counting" (http://bookreviewprince.webs.com/apps/photos/) I see that in the early days Michelle wore a top with a sheer-type collar (see the image of her with just baby Josh) and her wedding dress had lace sleeves. I guess she's called her first wedding dress immodest, is that because of the lace?

Another thing I've wondered about with modesty and fundies - do they wear pajamas? Do they wear pants at home? Do they worry about being immodest and defrauding their own male relatives? If so, that's fucked up.

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So far we have 1 marriage with 3 grand kids and a courtship and by next year this time we could have 2 marriages and 4 and almost 5 grand kids(Anna and Jessa).

For the bates next year at this time they could have 3 weddings and 3 grand kids.

So who's on top? (ewwww sorry)

I thought that they could only do it missionary style :ew: :naughty:

JB orchestrated this whole thing, no doubt about. I seriously doubt Jessa had any say in the matter at all.

That tweet has been seen and dissected. Conclusion is that it's too vague to necessarily pertain to Jessa, although it's unlikely, given his prior tweets, that it's about his sisters; he's never tweeted much beyond BECAUSE JESUS and workout stuff.

Aw cool thanks.

I saw that a couple days ago. When I followed the link to the source, there was no episode description. So, I think this is a case of an overzealous fan jumping to conclusions. I'm pretty sure that episode will feature Erin Bates's engagement.

I agree with this. Plus, the episode description sounds a little odd. Why would you announce a courtship and engagement? You are either engaged or courting, not both. And "a" Ben Seewald sounds a little weird too. I think the episode is most likely about Erin, maybe Zach, but I highly doubt it is about Jessa.

I agree that it was orchestrated. Leaked the same week as the series comes back to TV? Leaked in time to give the series a much needed ratings boost? So orchestrated.

And what do you want to be that there's a 2nd Duggar courtship that we probably don't know about yet? I'm thinking JD may have his eye on a gal or maybe Jana met someone at JTTH.

I agree with this. Plus, the episode description sounds a little odd. Why would you announce a courtship and engagement? You are either engaged or courting, not both. And "a" Ben Seewald sounds a little weird too. I think the episode is most likely about Erin, maybe Zach, but I highly doubt it is about Jessa.

Don't know about the 15th, but TLC cameraman John Rotan was in Hot Springs last week. He instagrammed a non-Duggar related video and Anna Duggar asked "Are you there now?".

I've been wondering - do fundies consider lace/sheer materials immodest? I've wondered if lace boleros and lace sleeves are considered okay, have kind of assumed no because otherwise wouldn't we be seeing lots of them from fundie brides? Looking through the link of pre-specials photo album posted in "Too Many Seasons and Counting" (http://bookreviewprince.webs.com/apps/photos/) I see that in the early days Michelle wore a top with a sheer-type collar (see the image of her with just baby Josh) and her wedding dress had lace sleeves. I guess she's called her first wedding dress immodest, is that because of the lace?

Another thing I've wondered about with modesty and fundies - do they wear pajamas? Do they wear pants at home? Do they worry about being immodest and defrauding their own male relatives? If so, that's fucked up.

No idea about the lace issue. But I know that there are fundy colleges where women are not allowed to wear pajama pants even in the women's dorms. Some allow them in the dorms but only after certain hours and they can be punished for being seen out in them. There is a much talked about around the web policy that girls cannot come out in a late night fire drill in pajama pants at Pensacola Christian College. They are expected to put on a skirt first.

And there are families where girls are restricted in what they can wear around their brothers lest they "defraud" them. And that goes far beyond usual family standards.

There is a much talked about around the web policy that girls cannot come out in a late night fire drill in pajama pants at Pensacola Christian College. They are expected to put on a skirt first.

:serious:

Wow, if true, that's really very dangerous to tell women to put on a skirt before they come outside. What if it were a real fire?

When I was in the dorms there would always be at least one unlucky person in just a towel when the fire alarm went off. Once one girl had to come straight out of the shower with just a housecoat and after it was over and she had just stepped back in the shower, the alarm went off again. (I think it was problems with the pipes that time, so not a drill but not a real fire either.)

Wow, if true, that's really very dangerous to tell women to put on a skirt before they come outside. What if it were a real fire?

Sounds a little too close to what the Saudis did, doesn't it?

When I was in the dorms there would always be at least one unlucky person in just a towel when the fire alarm went off. Once one girl had to come straight out of the shower with just a housecoat and after it was over and she had just stepped back in the shower, the alarm went off again. (I think it was problems with the pipes that time, so not a drill but not a real fire either.)

Our dorm was struck by lightning once. We all had to go out in the rain. There were several girls in less than full attire--a few who had come out of the showers (not the smartest place to be in a lightning storm...). Guys from the men's dorm across the way came over to "rescue" us, but everyone decided to take refuge in the other women's dorm next door instead and some of its residents offered up bathrobes and such to those who needed something.

The PCC story seems to be true. They claimed no one would be punished if it were a real fire, but in a large building, how would you know?

You can purchase a knock-off of Kate's at DBs. I'd assume it would be too 'busty' and god forbid they'd show shoulders, even under lace.

:serious:

I can't even....

Sure, a lot of times in college it's just some idiot who burnt their popcorn, but stopping to change your clothes is (literally) playing with fire.

That's a lawsuit waiting to happen.

That is an extremely broad statement. I don't think this is a flaw in modern dating because it is ludicrous to settle for someone who is not good enough just so you can get married. I think people who settle for second best usually end up regretting their choices. Why not start off with a perfect fit? Marriage is difficult enough as it is.

In my daughter's case she realized it was time to break things off when they both started college and he had to be nagged into doing his homework and he didn't have any dreams or plans for his future. In the end she felt like she was "babysitting" him.

In my own case should I have married the gorgeous, fun guy who only wanted to surf? Should I have settled for the actor who would probably always be dirt-poor? The life-of-the-party who drank a little too much? The serious executive with the scary temper?

I suppose a pro-courtship fundie would argue that the girl's dad would have screened out the lazy, immature guys, thus protecting the girl from giving her heart away to some man-child who is nowhere near ready to settle down. Of course, a guy who drinks wouldn't even be considered for courtship. But the guy with the bad temper probably wouldn't set off a fundy dad's alarm bells, unfortunately.

I pulled up the TV guide and it shows this episode as 30m. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't milk an engagement all they could and get an hr special out of it. So I def think this is Erin. Then again I didn't think Jessa would "court" a barely 18 in the first place.

I don't think they're engaged yet. I can't imagine no VSE like Smuggar got or a Today Show announcement. Heck, even a People article, they seem to like that as of late.

I wonder if they'll do any tie ins with other TLC shows - get her a dress from Kleinfeld's or wherever.

I pulled up the TV guide and it shows this episode as 30m. I find it hard to believe they wouldn't milk an engagement all they could and get an hr special out of it. So I def think this is Erin. Then again I didn't think Jessa would "court" a barely 18 in the first place.

The announcement is about the Bates. "The Duggars visit the Bates; the girls go camping; Jim Bob and Gil are left home in charge of the youngest kids."

http://tvlistings.zap2it.com/tv/19-kids ... aid=zap2it

They just keep repeating the same tropes over and over again. "Haha, the men have to take care of the children, what will they do?!" "LOL motion sickness!" "Another trip to the dentist!" "Duggars try to navigate a city - omg they're trying to take the subway!"

They just keep repeating the same tropes over and over again. "Haha, the men have to take care of the children, what will they do?!" "LOL motion sickness!" "Another trip to the dentist!" "Duggars try to navigate a city - omg they're trying to take the subway!"

I'm sure any announcement about courtship and engagement will include another long line of blather about how happy they are that they chose to court, and why they believe it's better than dating, with everyone else in sight agreeing that it's better to court. Purity, Daddy, Jesus, Authorities, etc.

I just can't see Boob "transferring authority" on the alter. I can see him walking Jessa (or any daughter) to the alter, then changing his mind. Or saying, you can marry her, but I am still her "authority" and now, so are you. I just can't see the "geeky middle school boy" letting go of his pretty daughter. Maybe in 10 years when the youngest are teens, but just not now....

Do we ever get to know what JESSA thinks? How SHE feels? We have heard from Jim Bob and Michelle (who do not count, really) and we had a small peek into Ben's feelings... what does Jessa think? Will they show this on tv or will her parents continually talk for her?

Do we ever get to know what JESSA thinks? How SHE feels? We have heard from Jim Bob and Michelle (who do not count, really) and we had a small peek into Ben's feelings... what does Jessa think? Will they show this on tv or will her parents continually talk for her?

I sincerely doubt we'll ever know how SHE feels. They have to keep up the image of perfect, Godly daughters and she could likely screw it up by being honest... or by being human.

Archived