IGNORED

The Courtship of Jessa Duggar - Part 2

happy atheist

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I may be in the minority, I don't know, but I don't care for Jessa at all and would definitely not want to be married to her. Not that I'd want to be married to any of the Duggar girls, but she strikes me as snooty. :snooty:

I can see where she is perceived as the one who won't take as much bs from her parents as her siblings might, but I remember more than one episode where she just comes across as haughty like she is trying to be convincing that they aren't missing out on fun just because they are fundies. Like everyone else is to be pitied. :roll:

I agree that at least she has some fire in her which is funny if it creates some sweat beads on JimBoob's forehead. Maybe they'll prove me wrong, but I don't think hardly any of the kids will branch out too far from the kool-aid. At least all these courtships are entertaining to watch.

Or maybe Jessa is like the first pancake-they're experimenting with letting her court so they don't mess up with the other 3 girls?

Agree with the idea that JB would love to have a missionary son-in-law for Jill to marry...maybe he'll even be one of those types to actually support his family instead of cramming them into tent or whatever Anna's sister was living in!

Or maybe Jessa is like the first pancake-they're experimenting with letting her court so they don't mess up with the other 3 girls?

Agree with the idea that JB would love to have a missionary son-in-law for Jill to marry...maybe he'll even be one of those types to actually support his family instead of cramming them into tent or whatever Anna's sister was living in!

I think Jill would love that, as long as he isnt another John Shrader. I dont think Jimbob would want his daughter marrying a loser like John though, I imagine him to be silently judging John on his lack of ability to provide for his family.

Anyone else think that Jim Bob will be the one marrying Jessa and Ben, if the marriage ever happens? He could become a minister online in like an hour. That would allow Jim Bob to be the center of attention at the wedding.

Maybe he is already a minister. Doesn't he conduct private church services every Sunday for his family and special snowflakes?

Maybe he is already a minister. Doesn't he conduct private church services every Sunday for his family and special snowflakes?

A real Duggar daughter wedding. They had to give up some control to Anna for hers. But I bet they're going to be all over Jessa's.

Maybe she'll wear Michelle's dress from Kleinfeld's.

I hope she gets her own dress. They wouldnt make her wear an old one, even if it is only to not be seen as a cheapskate on TV. There has probably never been a single day of Jessa's life, other than the day she was born, that has ever been all about Jessa, as shes one of so many kids. She deserves her own new dress, and they certainly can afford it.

Regarding Jim Bob being a minister, since they're Baptists don't they believe that anyone (man) can be called to be a minister and seminary and all that doesn't matter? That's how they could set up their own "church." The state won't recognize that as far as signing the marriage license though I don't think.

A Pentecostal Holiness preacher I know never went to college or seminary and I'm pretty sure every wedding he conducted is legal. I think in most states the word "clergy" is loosely defined.

Was the Pentecostal guy ordained by the denomination? That works also.

Just deciding to call oneself a preacher doesn't. I'm ordained through one of the internet churches and our state recognizes it. It wouldn't recognize self-appointed Jim Bob. Odd laws and rules we get sometimes.

A real Duggar daughter wedding. They had to give up some control to Anna for hers. But I bet they're going to be all over Jessa's.

Maybe she'll wear Michelle's dress from Kleinfeld's.

Since Jessa is smaller in size than her mother, she probably go to David's Bridal or possibly Kleinfeld's due to the TLC connection. If it is Kleinfeld's, the dress will be reuse with the remaining sisters.

It would be too much work to bring the dress into her size, but you never know.

Since Jessa is smaller in size than her mother, she probably go to David's Bridal or possibly Kleinfeld's due to the TLC connection. If it is Kleinfeld's, the dress will be reuse with the remaining sisters.

It would be too much work to bring the dress into her size, but you never know.

You really think they'll reuse a wedding dress? Is that something other fundies have done? It would be kind of sad if they do.

You really think they'll reuse a wedding dress? Is that something other fundies have done? It would be kind of sad if they do.

Anna wore one of her sisters wedding gown

IIRC Anna borrowed a relatives (sister?) gown. The spouse of the relative blogged about the wedding. I can't remember where...maybe Duggars Without Pity?

IIRC Anna borrowed a relatives (sister?) gown. The spouse of the relative blogged about the wedding. I can't remember where...maybe Duggars Without Pity?

Yeah, it was Duggars without pity site. For me, I want a couture dress but the Duggars buy used and save the difference. Can you imagine JimBob calculating the price for wedding dresses in his head? He is sure to pull something.

Just deciding to call oneself a preacher doesn't. I'm ordained through one of the internet churches and our state recognizes it. It wouldn't recognize self-appointed Jim Bob. Odd laws and rules we get sometimes.

When my old church (in SC) was Freewill Baptist, the requirements were: be male, not divorced, take one semester of church-basement bible college (they didn't have to complete the whole 4 year course), and be mentored/"covered by" an ordained FWB pastor in good standing for a period of time ( I can't remember exactly how long - a year or less). Then there was an ordination ceremony with laying on of hands from other ordained preachers.

When they left the FWB denomination, the pastor & all the ordained "preacher boys" (we had an obscene amount of men who were called to preach but felt no inclination to go on the mission field or get a church of their own) lost their ordination. They all had to become ordained online, but I'm not sure which site they used. Now a new candidate (my exh, for example) just announces his call to preach & sends in his paperwork for online ordination. They still do a fancy ceremony with laying on of hands. No one has ever questioned the validity of any marriages they've performed.

OT but interesting info about non-denoms & accountability : Right before the church left the denomination, there was a big group of guys ordained, some of them not-so-upstanding. There was one man in particular who was known to be a ladies man (& he was - I speak from personal experience!). He had been caught trying to cheat on his wife with a married female church member, & got off the hook by claiming he was confused Because he'd been fighting a call to preach. The pastor had resisted ordaining him for several years, but went ahead this time because "It won't be valid for long anyway, then he'll have to do it online & it won't be my responsiblity anymore."

Two years ago he was trying to text a new, single church member for a hookup & accidently texted my exh's new wife by mistake. His smooth-talking got him out of it once again.

I'm ordained by Universal Life Church. I did it because, why the hell not? And because I'm also a notary & wanted to start officiating at weddings.

Maybe Bill Gothard will do it. I believe he went to Wheaton College (iirc) and may be an ordained minister--I can't remember. Or Brother Bates..........

My first kiss was WOWZA, and I wouldn't have wanted to have it in a church in front of God and everybody. In the back seat of a car by the pond at the local park (Official Parking Venue for the Teens of My Fair City [tm][/tm])--before the cop came and shone his flashlight on us--was just fine & dandy by me. Ah, the memories...

He took over the congregation after his father (the former preacher) died. We are also talking about an independent, non-denominational church. Yes they call themselves Pentecostal Holiness, but they have no central organization they answer to, not even deacons or elders (because their may not be any). So, just by having a congregation that follows him, he is a minister.

I say as long as there is a tv show, the Duggar girls will each get their own wedding dress. The ones that get married after the show will have to reuse dresses.

This may be a naive or dumb question but do fundies do the whole "parents pay for only the daughters weddings" thing? Because OMG they have a lot of daughters. Though, I suppose they do it on the cheap anyway. I seem to recall people hand making chicken salad (like without gloves! GAG) for Josh and Anna's wedding. Still, even 10 wedding dresses can be pretty costly. At least they won't have to pay for an open bar (which, yeah, was the best part of my wedding at a vineyard! Your loss Duggars!).

I seem to recall people hand making chicken salad (like without gloves! GAG) for Josh and Anna's wedding.

I know snarking on the Duggars is fun, but snarking on them because they don't wear gloves while preparing food? Really? How many people wear gloves to prepare food for their family or a party they are hosting? Iit was not that long ago that commercial food preparers prepped everything while bare-handed. Most true chefs don't wear gloves to this day.

I say as long as there is a tv show, the Duggar girls will each get their own wedding dress. The ones that get married after the show will have to reuse dresses.

This may be a naive or dumb question but do fundies do the whole "parents pay for only the daughters weddings" thing? Because OMG they have a lot of daughters. Though, I suppose they do it on the cheap anyway. I seem to recall people hand making chicken salad (like without gloves! GAG) for Josh and Anna's wedding. Still, even 10 wedding dresses can be pretty costly. At least they won't have to pay for an open bar (which, yeah, was the best part of my wedding at a vineyard! Your loss Duggars!).

Gloves carry more germs than a naked hand. But, yes. They make food that can be easily giving to a huge function, since they invite the town to their wedding. I am sure it is cheaper than a gourmet meal with waiters. It is when they are married or courting the couple experience a few luxuries prior to childbearing.

:wink-penguin:

Not sure if this has been posted already- on Ben Seewald's twitter....

Ben Seewald â€@BenSeewald 16 Sep

"That feeling when you can't wait to talk on the phone with that special someone! ;-) #luvphoneconversations #loveher"

Nawwww

Archived