IGNORED

Let the Boycotts Begin - Josh Duggar and FRC

Buzzard

I would bet that he'll be inappropriate with some female employees and wind up at sexual harassment seminars weekly. Talking about your parents sex life and probably ordering women around.

Nah, can't see that happening. The sexual harassment claim, I mean. I doubt that concept even exists in a culture such as the one FRC promotes. Any woman who would make such a claim would be nothing more than a slut, looking to make a buck. It couldn't be harassment because clearly, she would be asking for it. No man would ever be held accountable because really, how could he stop himself in the face of such temptation? Her flaunt, her fault, her fault!

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It seems like someone is trying to keep news of Joshie's new job quiet. But who? TLC or FRC?

If it's true, they are probably saving the news for a big reveal on this week's episode. Although they didn't manage to keep the news about the new baby's sex under wraps, and this seems like it would be even harder to hide (unless the decision is very recent, I guess).

Well, FTR we have boycotted Chik-fil-a as much as we like the sandwiches.

If Josh has really gotten the job, then it should be real interesting to see how he fares. I am not totally sure he's going to be able to hack it in DC. It's going to be a real eye opener on a number of levels.

Anyone want to bet that sooner or later he is pictured drunk at some GOP shindig?

I don't usually purchase Nutella, because I will eat it up too fast. I really liked your letter Buzzard, and would it be okay to tweak it here and there and send it off as my own?

Do you really think that the majority of people who watch and/or follow the family don't already subscribe to the same beliefs? Do you reasonably think that someone who's not already fundie-inclined would be inspired to fundie-dom based on watching the Duggars for an hour (half hour?) a week for a few weeks out of a year? I just don't think they have that much influence and are merely preaching to the choir, so to speak. I think non-fundies may see them and think they're a nice, wholesome family but is that really enough to make a person to an ideological 180?

I agree and thats why I wont write to the company to make the show go off tv. I like to watch them and its entertainment for me. I think they dont make people change their religion to the ATI religion. And if they do, its their freedom. If they go to ATI, they will learn about it and decide again if Gothard will be their god or no. I dont worry it for them. I dont like censorship to help me or others not join a religion.

I agree and thats why I wont write to the company to make the show go off tv. I like to watch them and its entertainment for me. I think they dont make people change their religion to the ATI religion. And if they do, its their freedom. If they go to ATI, they will learn about it and decide again if Gothard will be their god or no. I dont worry it for them. I dont like censorship to help me or others not join a religion.

Oil, context is everything and I think that when you quote just the middle portion of my post, its intent can easily be misunderstood. (Either that or I'm not being as clear as I think I am. Head cold meds will do that do you.) I'm not sure what exactly it is I said that you're agreeing with, although what follows your statement "I agree" makes it sound as though I was opposed to any kind of boycott or write-in, which I am NOT. I believe both can be effective and I've actually done both. My questions came from my perspective as someone who has never watched more than 5 minutes of their show, learns about them only via FJ and TWOP and wonders just how much real influence they have outside of their like-minded fundies. I actually DO think a boycott is the correct thing and it can be very effective, as long as it's done on an individual basis and not as some kind of mass campaign where people hear the word "Duggar" and immediately blow a gasket. I'm opposed to that sort of herd mentality, regardless of which side it originates on. (For example, to use a current pop culture example, what's happening in social media as a result of the Kitchen Nightmares episode. Yes, the people in question are despicable but the wolf pack that's determined to take them down through false reviews is OTT, unnecessary and sort of proves the claims the idiot owners were making.)

Oh Sparkle, Im sorry. This is what I agreeing with from you:

Do you reasonably think that someone who's not already fundie-inclined would be inspired to fundie-dom based on watching the Duggars for an hour (half hour?) a week for a few weeks out of a year?
and the other things you said like this.

I continued to say I wouldnt boycott because of it. I didnt mean it that YOU meant the same as me about the boycott. I think may be if I wrote two paragraphs and not only one, put my boycott opinion in the second paragraph, it would have been clear that it was my own opinion and not yours. I will be more careful about this.

By the way, you can also make your own Nutella! :wink-kitty:

I love you. Thanks!

Will media outlets care enough to write about the link between the show and a hate group? I imagine hardly anyone has heard of Josh Duggar. But People magazine writes about the parents a lot, does anyone think they will report on this?

I love you. Thanks!

Will media outlets care enough to write about the link between the show and a hate group? I imagine hardly anyone has heard of Josh Duggar. But People magazine writes about the parents a lot, does anyone think they will report on this?

If there is a way for JB to pimp this, he'll do it. A man has to have his hairspray money, after all. So I'm expecting to see a mention of it somewhere.

Goodbye Nutella!

As much as I do not like the FRC, I think it's great Josh and Anna are moving away from JB and family. Hopefully he will realize the FRC is evil, and will leave for another job. I know, I know....not going to happen. But I can hope for Anna and the children’s sake it could happen.

Have you read the thread on his instagram? He knows just what the FRC is like, because he agrees with them totally.

Okay, I have to preface this by saying that I've never seen a full episode of any Duggar program and in fact can probably count the minutes I've watched on one hand. I do read the Duggar threads here and on TWOP but that's my only frame of reference. So I'm asking these questions from that perspective. Do you really think that the majority of people who watch and/or follow the family don't already subscribe to the same beliefs? Do you reasonably think that someone who's not already fundie-inclined would be inspired to fundie-dom based on watching the Duggars for an hour (half hour?) a week for a few weeks out of a year? I just don't think they have that much influence and are merely preaching to the choir, so to speak. I think non-fundies may see them and think they're a nice, wholesome family but is that really enough to make a person to an ideological 180? If, in fact, Josh (who I think is an entitled, emotionally and educationally stunted nobody based only one what I've read) has accepted a job with the FRC, he's probably no more than window dressing for the leghumpers and not much more. So while I think it's important that people are aware of the Duggars' beliefs and what they really involve--and I do think that boycotts can be effective--no one on either side will be moved to change their opinions. The humpers will still hump and the haters will still hate.

I've heard that ATI membership numbers are going up because of the Duggars.

I've heard that ATI membership numbers are going up because of the Duggars.

This is probably the scariest thing I've read in a very long time.

When I was a member of an ex-ATIer FB page it was discussed, by people who had access to the numbers, how ATI was close to dying but the Duggars helped to revive it.

When I was a member of an ex-ATIer FB page it was discussed, by people who had access to the numbers, how ATI was close to dying but the Duggars helped to revive it.

I wonder if that was the plan. Testimony and purpose and ministering and other assorted fundy stuff on TV and get interest up. It would explain why a family that reported to not watch TV made a TV show.

Canadians - Naramatha makes a dark chocolate almond spread. Not as smooth as Nutella, but incredibly delicious. I've seen it at Whole Foods and my local small-town supermarket. For a European copy of Nutella, it can be found in Walmart - has creamy and chocolatey swirls in it.

omg Im shocked! I thought the tv show watchers who like that life would get in to it and find out how cult it is and then not go forward to join ATI. Oh well, thats too sorry for them and their kids. But I still like the freedom of having the tv show on tv and allowing people to decide without censorship.

I saw the ATI application to answer questions before you can join. Even the kids have to answer the questions.

Thank you for starting this Buzzard. I personally dislike Nutella.

Totally OT, but...all this time, I thought I was the only one in the whole world who doesn't like Nutella. People seriously get their panties all in a wad about this. "How can you not like it? It's SOOOOOO GOOOD!" I just think it tastes like rancid-ass peanut butter.

I don't usually purchase Nutella, because I will eat it up too fast. I really liked your letter Buzzard, and would it be okay to tweak it here and there and send it off as my own?

Go for it! Their facebook page with pics of kids covered in chocolate in a grocery store is annoying me.

I guess I'll be adding Nutella to Walmart, and Dominos Pizza on my list of boycotted products. Oh well. I think I can live without it.

Censorship & boycotts are 2 different things. The first is done by a governing body, imposed from above; the second are acts of consumers.

Totally OT, but...all this time, I thought I was the only one in the whole world who doesn't like Nutella. People seriously get their panties all in a wad about this. "How can you not like it? It's SOOOOOO GOOOD!" I just think it tastes like rancid-ass peanut butter.

Well, now there are three of us who don't like it. :lol: I tried it not long ago and just couldn't stand it. So disappointing. I mean--chocolate! In spread form! On toast! What's not to like? And yet, yuck. :doh:

Have you read the thread on his instagram? He knows just what the FRC is like, because he agrees with them totally.

I know that. But I think since he will be far away from the influence of his parents he may have the opportunity to change. Like I said I don't think it will happen but it would be great if the new experiences in DC change his opinions, perhaps leading to a different career. The exposure he will receive in DC may lead him away from Gothard and that lifestyle.

Edited to remove extra letter.

I was curious about the FRC, so I went to their website... and I am confused. This article was on their home page and... the IRS has a softball team?

Cheetahs Never Prosper!

In all fairness to the IRS, its softball team was named the "Cheetahs" long before this latest scandal!

If it's true, they are probably saving the news for a big reveal on this week's episode. Although they didn't manage to keep the news about the new baby's sex under wraps, and this seems like it would be even harder to hide (unless the decision is very recent, I guess).

Anyone smell potential spin-off?

RD Chapman also posted on Josh's instagram that he got the job. The comment was gone several hours later.

Aside from J'chelle saying that Josh was offered the job correct me if I'm wrong but this is only the second instance of a direct quote and not mere speculation. That was widely discussed as a naive confusion of an interview with a job offer. The FRC even made a statement that Josh was being considered to distance themselves. However, the rumors have taken off from some flimsy "facts". I have a real problem with equating a statement of Josh getting the job with Josh actually accepting the job.

Yes, the previews do mention that Josh and Anna will be making a life changing decision. Even if he HAD been offered the job if he turned it down and decided to, oh, I don't know, go to community college it would be a life altering decision.

I think TLC is ginning up the speculation to keep the numbers up for the final episode of the season.

Good news! Jif does a version, so do TJs and While foods.

Sparkles, it's not that people will be inspired to cut up their condoms, but that they'll see fundies as harmless people with a few more kids than they have. And they're not, they're evil and politically active and that evil needs fighting. Just like with CFA, only worse.

The Jif mocha one is awesome!

I despise all things hazelnut. I got one of those big assortments of K cups for Christmas last year and plucked out every one of the hazelnuts and brought them to the office. Not a big fan of peanut butter either (unless it's crashed into some chocolate along the way) but when I accidentally sampled some Nutella a few years back I thought it was awful.

But I'll do my part. Josh Duggar and his family are haters and all 19 Kids sponsors need to be educated about their agenda.

Archived