IGNORED

Let the Boycotts Begin - Josh Duggar and FRC

Buzzard

Censorship & boycotts are 2 different things. The first is done by a governing body, imposed from above; the second are acts of consumers.

I was meaning censorship that means the show should go off the tv because to save people from may be joining ATI from the Duggar influence. I was reading boycott the product and then the TLC will take away the show off the tv. I dont believe in taking the show off the tv, I think thats censorship.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Totally OT, but...all this time, I thought I was the only one in the whole world who doesn't like Nutella. People seriously get their panties all in a wad about this. "How can you not like it? It's SOOOOOO GOOOD!" I just think it tastes like rancid-ass peanut butter.

I can't stand it either, so there are at least 3 of us :D

ETA: Oops, didn't finish the thread before responding. Looks like we are up to 5.

Can you buy grey imports in the USA? Maybe you guys can get Nutella that is made in South America or Australia? Technically the same company but most probably operating as separate entities much like Coca Cola Amatil.

I was meaning censorship that means the show should go off the tv because to save people from may be joining ATI from the Duggar influence. I was reading boycott the product and then the TLC will take away the show off the tv. I dont believe in taking the show off the tv, I think thats censorship.

Sorry, I'm a little confused. If TLC took 19KAC off the air, because its viewers boycotted its advertisers products, that would be a decent business decision, not censorship. If TLC took 19KAC off the air because they were worried about its influence on others, and they thought it might lead others to that lifestyle, that would also, not be considered censorship. If, however, a governing body required TLC to pull 19KAC because of its influence on others, then THAT would be censorship. I'm against the latter, but either of the other options are fine by me. The less time anyone has to be exposed to J'Chelle's childish, condescending voice or the family spouting their lifestyle choices makes me a happy lady.

Oil, you do realize that the entire show is a fabrication, right? The whole show is heavily "censored" to make the Duggars look like a nice wholesome, religious, conservative, loving family. When people unfamiliar with the finer points of their beliefs watch this show and they see the false representations those viewers may be interested in living a simple, wholesome life just like that which is portrayed on this show. This could lead to them joining Gothard's cult. When you join a group like this you don't tend to turn into someone like them overnight. If Gothard laid out all the hateful, negative messages the moment you stepped in the door then almost no one would join. These groups tend to systematically develop these ideas in their followers over time. That is one of the reasons it is so dangerous. When you begin to develop these ideas over time it makes it increasingly difficult to leave the group. It is a process. If you are okay with the entire premise of the show being a blatant lie that has encouraged some people to join their cult then that is one thing, in my opinion. But for those that cannot see the truth behind the facade, it can be a very dangerous thing. After all, they sure don't LOOK like hateful people, so how dangerous could they really be? As it turns out, very dangerous. This family is very politically active. They are actively spreading hate and trying to pass legislation that harms an awful lot of people. The Duggars are manipulating viewers with the show which has drawn more people into the cult who will then begin also spreading these messages and views.

IMVHO, it is better to stop the show because of how dangerous it can be to others who are less informed, or for those whose rights the Duggars are campaigning against rather than keep it on air just for someone's entertainment. YMMV.

Are we up to six now who don't like Nutella? I also loathe all hazelnut products.

TLC taking the show off the air because advertisers don't want to pay for their ads to be shown on it is not censorship. It's the free market at work. It's just like if people quit watching and TLC takes the show off the air because the ad rates dropped too far with the low ratings. That's a business decision not government censorship.

Wouldn't it be fun if the " life-changing" decision was a vasectomy? :D

What a shame about JCP as a sponsor of the show, after the great ads including same- sex parent families in their print ads.

Sorry for the double post; I also want to say that by removing the show from the air it wouldn't be censorship as no one is preventing people from researching this on their own. No one is trying to restrict others from accessing this information. It just won't be promoted on television. Since some of my personal interests are not currently represented on TV* this doesn't mean that the info has been censored. It just isn't something found on TV and I need other avenues to pursue those interests.

*I have not owned a TV in years and actually have no idea what is or isn't on TV in general.

I've never bought Nutella, and I never will. Chocolate almond butter is way better (and healthier).

Ah, I really don't want to boycott Nutella! But I will if Josh does get this job and accepts.

My guess, though, is that they won't say specifically if he was offered the job, only that he decided that moving away wouldn't be the right decision.

The life-changing decision will be to "buy" a new house (really take over one owned by Daddy or Grandma) or build a new one on TTH compound (paid for by Daddy and TLC).

Does anyone really believe that Josh would be hired for this position, over educated super conservatives, for anything other than publicity? Say Josh gets the job. Once the show is over, no way will Josh still be employed. The only thing he can offer is a little publicity. Very conservative politicians and lobbyists are not going to be impressed by Josh and his SOTDRT education. These people may be conservative but they are also savvy and educated. I don't believe their version of being conservative, even as evangelicals, is the same as the Duggars. I would love to see how Josh would handle having to take orders from an educated conservative woman. They aren't all going to be wearing long jean skirts and bowing down to men. I think Josh is in for a shock.

Are we up to six now who don't like Nutella? I also loathe all hazelnut products.

I love hazelnut coffee, like Nutella, but detest those Ferraro Rocher hazelnut chocolates or other brand hazelnut truffles.

Totally OT, but...all this time, I thought I was the only one in the whole world who doesn't like Nutella. People seriously get their panties all in a wad about this. "How can you not like it? It's SOOOOOO GOOOD!" I just think it tastes like rancid-ass peanut butter.

I'm deathly allergic to hazel nuts so I would never even try a tiny taste of it.

Joe.My.God has written about the FRC's ties to the KKK. Tony Perkins, the head of the FRC, has personally commended the Klan for its anti-gay stance and activities. Both groups are listed as hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Centre.

Why is this not more widely known in the USA? A boycott is certainly called for, and could be used to publicize this.

Does anyone really believe that Josh would be hired for this position, over educated super conservatives, for anything other than publicity? Say Josh gets the job. Once the show is over, no way will Josh still be employed. The only thing he can offer is a little publicity. Very conservative politicians and lobbyists are not going to be impressed by Josh and his SOTDRT education.

He may never notice really since he is impressed with his self.

Joe.My.God has written about the FRC's ties to the KKK. Tony Perkins, the head of the FRC, has personally commended the Klan for its anti-gay stance and activities. Both groups are listed as hate groups by the Southern Poverty Law Centre.

Why is this not more widely known in the USA? A boycott is certainly called for, and could be used to publicize this.

WOW!!! Yikes! I've read the FRC's website before and was repulsed by their views. I've never done a background check on them. If this is true (and it wouldn't surprise me at all), they really are a hate group!! :ew: :ew: :ew:

There are many store brand and other brand.options for nutella. Trader Joes has one as do more and more stores. You don't have to suffer completely for your beliefs but aupport3rs of evil don't have to get your money

Jiff makes a chocolate hazelnut spread now too...

WOW!!! Yikes! I've read the FRC's website before and was repulsed by their views. I've never done a background check on them. If this is true (and it wouldn't surprise me at all), they really are a hate group!! :ew: :ew: :ew:

There are a lot of apathetic people who look at the FRC's positions on creationism or prayer in schools or even the gays and shrug their shoulders and say, "well, everyone's entitled to their opinion"- not realizing how active these people are at forcing their opinions on the rest of society through legislation. It's the same incognizance that TLC relies on to keep up the Duggar fan base: they just see a happy family and while they think they're a bit freakish, don't understand the ultimate agenda of Dominionism and how that would affect their own lives to live in the Republic of Gilead. That's why the FRC wants to hire Smugger, IMO. As more states legalize gay marriage, as they now are fighting against LGBT equality without the Mormon church dollars, they need to publicize themselves as a legitimate organization without actually letting people know what they really stand for. Hiring Smugs, with a built in, unquestioning fan base, is the perfect solution to their problem.

Look at the Joe.My.God site - I can't remember if Perkins met with the KKK directly or whether he just wrote congratulating them, but this would surely shake people people up more than the other issues?

Oh no, I love everything Ferrero makes :( I love all things hazelnut. Does anyone know of a good Nutella replacement in the UK? The alternatives I've tried are mostly too sweet or don't have the right texture, too much like buttercream frosting.

TLC taking the show off the air because advertisers don't want to pay for their ads to be shown on it is not censorship. It's the free market at work. It's just like if people quit watching and TLC takes the show off the air because the ad rates dropped too far with the low ratings. That's a business decision not government censorship.

I saw on this thread some people believing "the show should be taken off the air." Some FJers want to use censorship to save people from possibly may be joining ATI. That is what I dont agree. I dont believe the people need to be protected by deciding they are too weak-minded and may be fooled into ATI.

Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient.

This is probably the scariest thing I've read in a very long time.

Crips ! what the hell is wrong with some people???

I can say that I believe boycotts and letters got Kate Gosselin off TLC. I wrote a lot of the sponsors. Some I got back form letters but a few had personal responses. I remember the small company that made the kids the playhouses, thought they would get lots of business by giving Kate free playhouses & ended up with an email inbox full of people outraged. I was personally contacted by Gymboree's corporate offices after I organized a boycott because of Kate. I was a huge Gymboree fan and my 9 month boycott group cost them thousands in sales that I could prove they lost. There were 2 sites that were organzing boycotts and giving out lists of sponsors. Kate's ratings did fall but not lower then the Duggars or Little people bug world but she is gone.

I bet a lot of sponsors are unaware of the Duggars in general. They think they are sponsoring a family friendly show. I will be writing sponsors over Josh's job. My letters will say this job is the last straw, also listing other issues I have with the lifestyle choices.

On last week's episode this is the list of commericals that were run during my show which is a pacific feed in a mtn time zone

I'm only listing national companies, TLC does sell time to local cable companies so some commericals will vary. I'm sure companies like Jcpenney which rans ads during both episodes would like to know about Josh and FRC. Most of these companies have websites with easy contact us forms. If you are serious it only takes a few minutes and most don't require a lot of personal information, though I like leaving an email so I can see about what type of response the company gives.

TJMaxx (twice)

Panera Bread

Cash Call.com

Quaker Oats

Toyota

Pizza Hut (twice)

Home Depot

Clorox(twice)

Outback Steakhouse (twice)

Pier One

Maxwell House

Jcpenney (twice)

Pistachios

Garnier

Windows 8

Johnson & Johnson

Kindle

Geico

State Farm

True Value

Tyson Chicken

Add me to the list of Nutella haters. It's main ingredients are sugar and vegetable oil. Yuck. I'd rather have real butter on my toast.

I don't think there's much point in boycotting Nutella in Europe. It's probably many moons removed from Nutella USA. If I wrote to them, I doubt they'd even know who the Duggars were. Also, Nutella is my kids greatest joy. I'm not going to take away their favourite toast breakfast topping.

Be careful with the store brand alternatives. Often they're made by the big brand company. If the jar is the same size/shape, it could well be Nutella by another name.

Oh no, I love everything Ferrero makes :( I love all things hazelnut. Does anyone know of a good Nutella replacement in the UK? The alternatives I've tried are mostly too sweet or don't have the right texture, too much like buttercream frosting.

Have you tried the Whole Earth hazelnut spread? The texture is a bit lighter than Nutella but the flavour is good.

Archived