IGNORED

Let the Boycotts Begin - Josh Duggar and FRC

Buzzard

I'm preemtively starting this thread as it appears clear that Josh has accepted the position at Family Research Council. I will begin my "attack" with the companies that have utilized product placement this season, which is Nutella and some form of Deli meat I need to confirm.

This morning I sent the following to Nutella via their facebook page. Since I sent it using my real account, I sent a PM.

It is with a heavy heart that I write to say that your product is no longer welcome in my household. Your support of the Duggar family via product placement in their episode originally airing on 5/7/13 is unacceptable. The Duggar family follows a religious teaching that preaches hate, discrimination, and the subjugation of women. Their eldest son has accepted a position with the Family Research Council, a known hate group. I have enjoyed your product for years and will miss it, but my family and I simply cannot give our money a corporation that supports these beliefs.

https://www.facebook.com/nutellausa?fref=ts

I invite all of you to contact corporations as well. If you would be so kind as to post the contact information you use and your text we can mobilize this effort more effectively. Lets get this shit off the air.

:stir-pot:

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I will support you. I only have a fakebook so I will send mails from my gmail which has my pictures and stuff, so that I can look them in the eye. It will not be a challenge for me to avoid eating Ferrero products since they make me break out like crazy (and I only really like Kinder Bueno and Maxi King anyway...). I can't even eat chocolate anymore it messes up my skin so bad.

Thank you for starting this Buzzard. I personally dislike Nutella. But I will tell others about Nutella being used on 19kac and Josh and FRC. I think TLC will feel some heat if Josh is going to work with FRC. FRC has targeted the entertainment industry quite a bit over the years. IIRC, they SO Sure TLC, does mostly reality shows, but they still have to deal and being around other networks and execs from other networks.

I also think the days of 19kac are numbered. I know they have been filming new episodes, but maybe the next season will be the last one. Ratings haven't been great and I recall one of the Asia episodes didn't do well.

I was wondering if any other groups have successfully petitioned/fought a tv show which led to its removal from the air by boycotting advertisers?

I know that One Million 40k Moms claim to have had shows cancelled, but in my professional opinion, those shows were not entertaining or popular enough, and already headed for the can (GCB, "The New Normal," and "Don’t Trust the B---- in Apt 23").

Part of me thinks, if you don't like it, don't watch it, but when something like 19KAC which incites and attracts those with extreme beliefs and behaviors, I think that we have a personal responsibility to try to open people's eyes to the potential (and real) dangers of such extremism.

What..? How did you find out he got the job? This will be interesting.

A few people here think he may have gotten the job because he, SmugAnna and the kids went to DC recently.

RD Chapman also posted on Josh's instagram that he got the job. The comment was gone several hours later.

Thanks for posting this, Buzzard, even though it saddened my countenance. I love Nutella on bananas, strawberries, and sometimes straight out of the jar. :embarrassed: I will send them a message on FB as well.

I was wondering if any other groups have successfully petitioned/fought a tv show which led to its removal from the air by boycotting advertisers?

I know that One Million 40k Moms claim to have had shows cancelled, but in my professional opinion, those shows were not entertaining or popular enough, and already headed for the can (GCB, "The New Normal," and "Don’t Trust the B---- in Apt 23").

Part of me thinks, if you don't like it, don't watch it, but when something like 19KAC which incites and attracts those with extreme beliefs and behaviors, I think that we have a personal responsibility to try to open people's eyes to the potential (and real) dangers of such extremism.

Part of the reason All American Muslim was canned was because a young woman started FB petition and group against it and advertisers pulled out. I observed that group and the people there were major Islamaphobes. Islamaphobia is rampant with many Americans and I have noticed that Islamphobes tend to think that all Muslims are extremist. Last summer, I watched The Glee Project 2 on Oxygen. It was reality competition done to get a new cast member for Glee, one of the better contestants was a Muslim young woman, but early on I figured she wouldn't win due to pressures in the entertainment industry regarding Islam. Also another contestant on that show seemed to give off vibes of Islamphobia towards the Muslim contestant in one of her interviews.

I haven't check 40 k moms site in awhile, but I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to take credit for The New Normal's cancellation. I liked GCB even though it was campy at times. I think a similar show like GCB will happen again and be a hit.

I just went to WalMart and bought my last giant sized Nutella this morning. I gave up Chic-fil-A, so I can give up this. Now I'm going to go dive into the chocolatey hazelnutty goodness one last time :drool: I'm seriously going to miss this stuff. I get testy when I have PMS if I don't have it, but it's all for the cause. :(

There are many store brand and other brand.options for nutella. Trader Joes has one as do more and more stores. You don't have to suffer completely for your beliefs but aupport3rs of evil don't have to get your money

I hope this gets officially confirmed if true. It's about time people realize what the family's beliefs really involve.

I hope this gets officially confirmed if true. It's about time people realize what the family's beliefs really involve.

I agree. I have said this before, but there are different factions in the Duggar fanbase. The fundie and evangelical type fans know about the Duggars' beliefs. But there are clueless factions of fans who are in dark about the Duggars' beliefs and their involvement with Gothard and ATI. The clueless faction includes people that the Duggars would dislike liberals, various mainstream Christians, atheists, agnostics, and non-Christians. Some of the fans are on 19kac FB page are in the dark. But they refuse to learn more about Gothard and ATI. Diane Standherr once said that she didn't want to hear about Bill Gothard. A few years back, I used to post on IMDB's boards for 19kac and several people who once liked the Duggars stopped liking them after reading No Longer Quiverring. NLQ was one of the first sites I got into when I started researching the Duggars more.

I can't remember which thread it was, but Buzzard found a video of guy who said he likes 19kac but is starting to question the Duggars' and the situation regarding the J'Slaves. Sometimes people do catch onto what the Duggars are about.

This is funny considering it's the Duggars, but I found a pretty good generic Nutella-style spread at....Aldi's.

Okay, I have to preface this by saying that I've never seen a full episode of any Duggar program and in fact can probably count the minutes I've watched on one hand. I do read the Duggar threads here and on TWOP but that's my only frame of reference. So I'm asking these questions from that perspective. Do you really think that the majority of people who watch and/or follow the family don't already subscribe to the same beliefs? Do you reasonably think that someone who's not already fundie-inclined would be inspired to fundie-dom based on watching the Duggars for an hour (half hour?) a week for a few weeks out of a year? I just don't think they have that much influence and are merely preaching to the choir, so to speak. I think non-fundies may see them and think they're a nice, wholesome family but is that really enough to make a person to an ideological 180? If, in fact, Josh (who I think is an entitled, emotionally and educationally stunted nobody based only one what I've read) has accepted a job with the FRC, he's probably no more than window dressing for the leghumpers and not much more. So while I think it's important that people are aware of the Duggars' beliefs and what they really involve--and I do think that boycotts can be effective--no one on either side will be moved to change their opinions. The humpers will still hump and the haters will still hate.

It seems like someone is trying to keep news of Joshie's new job quiet. But who? TLC or FRC?

So what's Joshipoo going to do there? Sit around and eat as much chick-fil-a as he can manage? To be quite honest with you, I cannot image him doing anything else than that. Ever.

Thanks for posting this, Buzzard, even though it saddened my countenance. I love Nutella on bananas, strawberries, and sometimes straight out of the jar. :embarrassed: I will send them a message on FB as well.

Good news! Jif does a version, so do TJs and While foods.

Sparkles, it's not that people will be inspired to cut up their condoms, but that they'll see fundies as harmless people with a few more kids than they have. And they're not, they're evil and politically active and that evil needs fighting. Just like with CFA, only worse.

Well, FTR we have boycotted Chik-fil-a as much as we like the sandwiches.

If Josh has really gotten the job, then it should be real interesting to see how he fares. I am not totally sure he's going to be able to hack it in DC. It's going to be a real eye opener on a number of levels.

Anyone want to bet that sooner or later he is pictured drunk at some GOP shindig?

Thanks for the heads up about Aldi's and Whole Foods. If anyone lives near a Greek supermarket/deli, you can get a chocolate hazelnut spread called Merenda.

Good news! Jif does a version, so do TJs and While foods.

Sparkles, it's not that people will be inspired to cut up their condoms, but that they'll see fundies as harmless people with a few more kids than they have. And they're not, they're evil and politically active and that evil needs fighting. Just like with CFA, only worse.

The show provides income which will likely allow Josh to subsidize his salary and live in DC, continuing to spread the hate and discriminatory practices family research council stands for. Without the show, his ability to "spread the word" FRC slathers will be lessened. Whether a humper will convert to gothardism isnt my aim, its to hinder the spread of hate and take a shot at those who would take away rights from others. If that means not eating Nutella, shopping at JC Penny, or using cascade, so be it. Without advertisers there is no show. Without our dollars there are no advertisers.

Goodbye Nutella!

As much as I do not like the FRC, I think it's great Josh and Anna are moving away from JB and family. Hopefully he will realize the FRC is evil, and will leave for another job. I know, I know....not going to happen. But I can hope for Anna and the children’s sake it could happen.

Well, FTR we have boycotted Chik-fil-a as much as we like the sandwiches.

If Josh has really gotten the job, then it should be real interesting to see how he fares. I am not totally sure he's going to be able to hack it in DC. It's going to be a real eye opener on a number of levels.

Anyone want to bet that sooner or later he is pictured drunk at some GOP shindig?

I would bet that he'll be inappropriate with some female employees and wind up at sexual harassment seminars weekly. Talking about your parents sex life and probably ordering women around.

I fear, it doesn´t really matter if I would boycott Nutella over here or not wouldn´t it :rawr:

( We don´t buy Nutella anyway, we buy organic " Schoko - Haselnuss Aufstrich", Ferrero should be avoided nonetheless!)

By the way, you can also make your own Nutella! :wink-kitty:

340g Halbfettmargarine (40% Fett)/ Butter or Margarine

120g Zähflüssiger Honig / good Honey or Maple syrup

80g Sonnenblumenöl /Sunflower oil

140g Puderzucker / powdered sugar

35g Vanillinzucker /vanilla sugar

150g gemahlene Haselnüsse / grounded hazelnuts

95g dunkles Kakaopulver (100%) / cocoa powder

40g Speisestärke (Maisstärke/Maizena) / corn starch

g = grams

Margarine, Honig, Öl, Puder- und Vanillezucker zu einer glatten Masse vermengen. Die restlichen Zutaten mischen und anschließend zu der Masse geben. Alles gut verrühren.

Die Creme vorsichtig in der Mikrowelle (oder im Topf, brennt jedoch sehr leicht an) ein wenig erhitzen, bis sich die Zuckerkristalle aufgelöst haben und die Creme so flüssig (aber immer noch zähflüssig) ist, dass sie in Gläser abgefüllt werden kann. Im Kühlschrank aufbewahren.

Mix Margarine/Butter, honey, sunflower oil, powdered sugar and vanilla sugar until its smooth.

Mix all remaining ingredients and add it to the mass you already made.

Mix everything very good until smooth.

Now heat the Creme you made carefully in a pan or in the microwave until the sugar crystals dissolve. When the creme is liquid but still viscid (imagine toffee or caramel), fill it into jars. Keep it in the freezer.

This makes actually one kilo or 2 pounds of nutella :sick:

Archived