IGNORED

On the road again..... (Maxwells)

Justme

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where are those pesky Maxwell's???? It's been a while since they blogged. No traditional Memorial Day post. They must be extra busy scrubbing kitchen cabinets or cleaning Uriah.... :popcorn2:

I'm still on the fence about going to the CT one. I just don't pass well enough as male or female to be any kind of incognito.

(me: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4056_n.jpg )

Hey, just plant yourself firmly in the David Waller camp, and you'll be fine. ;) C'mon--observe and report!

I'm still on the fence about going to the CT one. I just don't pass well enough as male or female to be any kind of incognito.

(me: https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/ ... 4056_n.jpg )

Well, hell. The Maxwell's will be within 40 miles of me when they are in NH. I'm thinking about it for research purposes, but I already had plans for that evening.

Unlike you, it would take very little effort for me to "pass" Maxwell standards of female modest dressing. I own and wear a frumpy denim dress or two, and love my flip flops. I'm almost 58 though, and not quite their target audience. I'd definitely sit in and listen. And ask gentle but penetrating questions of the daughters afterwards, while suggesting ways out for them, if possible.

Frankly, I think that confronting Steve directly, is not the way to go. He is beyond all hope. It would be better to take a stealth approach.

I'd prefer to attend with my Headship, though. Unaccompanied "ladies" of uncertain age might well be blocked. I'd also want a real life companion on this gross field trip to vent to immediately afterwards, for my own sanity. FFS!

Mr Palimpsest might initially "pass" if they ignore the beard. I could probably persuade him into wearing khakis and a polo shirt for research purposes. Unfortunately, I don't think he'd last 2 minutes of Stevo's crap without blowing his top and getting us both thrown out. He has a very low tolerance for BS.

I would be interested in seeing Maxhell in action. I'm still considering signing up.

58 is the perfect age, we've been looking for someone to pretend to be an older SAHD! Let Sarah look into her future.

Taking your husband is a great idea, I think, because he can attend the mens' session (assuming he's up for the mission, that is!!)

I wonder if Steve is paying taxes on the love offerings. Actually, I wonder if the any of the fundies that sell their wares at churches/conferences declare everything they make. I would imagine that most of of their earnings are cash based. I am sure they have a million reasons why the Bible says they don't have to pay taxes on what they make.

I wonder if Steve is paying taxes on the love offerings. Actually, I wonder if the any of the fundies that sell their wares at churches/conferences declare everything they make. I would imagine that most of of their earnings are cash based. I am sure they have a million reasons why the Bible says they don't have to pay taxes on what they make.

Steve Maxell is a lot of things (controlling, delusional, cult leader, asshole, the list goes on...) but he's not stupid. He probably declares his income. But I won't lie, I would pay good money to see pictures of him in handcuffs for tax evasion. :twisted:

I feel really, really dumb.

Because I just now figured out how to pronounce ITonRamp

I'd been saying IT on ramp as in IT on a ramp. Like "dog on house" or "book on table."

It made no sense.

I just realized it was on ramp like... freeway on ramp.

Don't feel dumb. There's a reason there's a 'how do you pronounce ITonramp?' section in their FAQ s.

I'm still seriously considering going to Greenfield, although I underestimated the distance. It's much closer to 50 miles away. Mr Palimpsest is game to be Inspired! but I did have to promise him that we'd leave after the morning session. He is afraid that Steve's brand of religiosity might be contagious with longer exposure. :lol:

I wish we had a 20 - 30 year old not-SAHD and/or suitably ungodly son around to make the best of this. I'm way too long in the tooth to sit in on the sessions for Young Ladies, but those are the ones that interest me. It will also be interesting to see what the attendance is like. I wouldn't have thought that there were many Fundies in rural NH, but I may be wrong.

Mr Palimpsest blowing his cover during "Family Bible Time: Here's How Guaranteed," is a distinct possibility. He may decide to walk out ostentatiously if he feels it necessary. There will be no direct confrontations though. It is not our style, and I don't really see the point.

If we have to leave before "Keeping Our Children's Hearts" there are some good antique stores in nearby Milford and Amherst to browse through so we'll have fun anyway. How ridiculous is it that I'm telling my husband that lunch out and a field trip to sit in on a Maxwell Conference is all I want for my birthday? :dance:

It still might not work out as my usual dog walker will be on vacation, and I need to find someone else reliable to give my seizure hound his meds exactly on time. If we do go, I'll be sure to come back and make my report. :twisted:

Oh, I do hope someone goes! I was all set to go to one last fall which was quite near me, but we were in the middle of moving and I sensibly stayed home and packed instead. :( None are even remotely close to me this time around, so someone should let me live vicariously!

I'm still seriously considering going to Greenfield, although I underestimated the distance. It's much closer to 50 miles away. Mr Palimpsest is game to be Inspired! but I did have to promise him that we'd leave after the morning session. He is afraid that Steve's brand of religiosity might be contagious with longer exposure. :lol:

I wish we had a 20 - 30 year old not-SAHD and/or suitably ungodly son around to make the best of this. I'm way too long in the tooth to sit in on the sessions for Young Ladies, but those are the ones that interest me. It will also be interesting to see what the attendance is like. I wouldn't have thought that there were many Fundies in rural NH, but I may be wrong.

Mr Palimpsest blowing his cover during "Family Bible Time: Here's How Guaranteed," is a distinct possibility. He may decide to walk out ostentatiously if he feels it necessary. There will be no direct confrontations though. It is not our style, and I don't really see the point.

If we have to leave before "Keeping Our Children's Hearts" there are some good antique stores in nearby Milford and Amherst to browse through so we'll have fun anyway. How ridiculous is it that I'm telling my husband that lunch out and a field trip to sit in on a Maxwell Conference is all I want for my birthday? :dance:

It still might not work out as my usual dog walker will be on vacation, and I need to find someone else reliable to give my seizure hound his meds exactly on time. If we do go, I'll be sure to come back and make my report. :twisted:

Please go, please, please, please! :pray:

Please go, please, please, please! :pray:

Please do!! @pray:

I'm slightly concerned, though, that as Steve almost certainly reads FJ, he'll know in advance that FJ-ers might attend the conference, and that the Maxwells will therefore all be on guard....

I was watching the news this morning when it struck me that the name of the Maxwell's conference tour and Al Qaeda glossy "lifestyle" magazine have the same name—Inspire. And really, they both espouse a form a terrorism, only Steve's brand is less honest about it, cloaked in Jesus-y love yet just as restrictive and fear based with the express purpose of imposing the One True Way on everyone, believers or not. Something to think about, hey Stevie?

I'm slightly concerned, though, that as Steve almost certainly reads FJ, he'll know in advance that FJ-ers might attend the conference, and that the Maxwells will therefore all be on guard....

Ah, but if *no* FJers end up at the conference, they will be all paranoid for nothing. And maybe they will attack some genuine attendees, thinking they are FJers, and thus alienate them (and any onlookers) from the Maxwell lifestyle.

Triplet3 Fair point and I'd already considered that. Hi Steve!

The Maxhell conferences are, technically, open to the general public. I guess he could have Fundie bouncers at the entrance blocking people who look like FJers from the presentations, but being turned away from the door would be a good story all by itself. :lol:

Could he even tell what an FJer looks like? We are very diverse. My Headship and I will dressed in our normal clothes and not pretending to be anything we are not. So sue me, I dress like J'chele without the black hose.

If Steve believes in what he is preaching, then he would have no reason to alter the program just in case an FJer attends. I'm sure he has had people (even non-FJers) disagree with his message before. His insularity and isolation of his family is extreme, even among Fundies. He is an experienced public speaker and should be able to answer hard questions. We, at least, only intend to sit in for a while. If I get a chance to talk to his daughters I will, but as he *knows* they are all deliriously happy with their lives why would that be a problem? It gives them a chance to witness. :roll: I'm sure he'll be keeping tabs on them anyway, and again, Steve galloping to "rescue" them from an interaction with a possible FJer, would be . . . informative.

What does he have to worry about, really, if he is confident in his message?

Hate to be a wet blanket, but hasn't Stevehovah required advance registration for this dog and pony show?

Hate to be a wet blanket, but hasn't Stevehovah required advance registration for this dog and pony show?

Yep. 8-)

Yeah, but whats he going to do, do background checks on everyone? It would be impossible to tell who is from FJ.

Actually, I spoke too soon. I also thought I had to preregister, but I just looked again planning to send in a registration, and there is nothing on the events page that says you must. There is a contact button, but that was only for people who want to coordinate future conferences.

Can anyone remember when or where Stevie said people had to preregister?

Registration is requested by not required. Here's what it says on the flyer.

Your registration is requested. When registering, please specify if both husband and wife will be coming and how many children will be attending the children/young people’s sessions (i.e. 2 girls, 1 boy).

I really, really wanted to go to the Southington conference but the Big Apple BBQ won out. I'm not missing Big Bob Gibson swoon-worthy pulled pork, not even for Steve. FOOD, Steve, FOOD. Yes, I'm guilty of the sin of gluttony.

I really, really wanted to go to the Southington conference but the Big Apple BBQ won out. I'm not missing Big Bob Gibson swoon-worthy pulled pork, not even for Steve. FOOD, Steve, FOOD. Yes, I'm guilty of the sin of gluttony.

:penguin-no: Ooooh, sparkles, you are making an idol of pulled pork!

Palimpsest, have fun -- wait, that's not right -- um . . . hope you don't vomit! :D

Give Uriah a hello from me, and Priscilla.

If they ever show up in my part of Canada, I'll go. I doubt they will, but you never know. It could be fun... and not only can I "pass" in the appearance sense (I own and wear several 'prairie style' dresses and skirts and have long hair) but I spent enough years in fundie churches that I can talk it well too. :p

Archived