IGNORED

On the road again..... (Maxwells)

Justme

Registration is requested by not required. Here's what it says on the flyer.

I really, really wanted to go to the Southington conference but the Big Apple BBQ won out. I'm not missing Big Bob Gibson swoon-worthy pulled pork, not even for Steve. FOOD, Steve, FOOD. Yes, I'm guilty of the sin of gluttony.

Thanks. I didn't scroll far enough down. I will register if I am confident that we can go. It is still rather uncertain.

Hey, Stevo, if you do indeed read here, please don't block potential future converts just in case they might be me and my headship -- that would be both cowardly and nasty.

Sparkles, yes, I'm with you on the pulled pork. Maxhell vs good BBQ -- such a dilemma! :D

• Replies 711
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:penguin-no: Ooooh, sparkles, you are making an idol of pulled pork!

Palimpsest, have fun -- wait, that's not right -- um . . . hope you don't vomit! :D

Give Uriah a hello from me, and Priscilla.

Yep, if we do go it will definitely be vomitus. I'm honestly less interested in the vomit-potential (that is a given) than I am in the numbers and type of people attending. FJ already knows who Steve Maxwell is, and what he preaches. We will not add much to the knowledge-base here.

I'm still not sure we can make it. Seizure hound's well-being outweighs my curiosity. :)

Why do I want to go? It really is curiosity. How attractive is Maxwell-faux-Christianity in this neck of the NE backwoods?

I live 50 miles away in a major-league Democratic-voting,very cynical anti-woo-woo, and rather tiny town.

But still, Mr P claims that he saw some "Gothard-wisdom-booklet-like-stuff" info in a booth at the last of our tiny town's Craft Fairs. He backed off fast (he has well-honed survival instincts) and, to my disappointment, didn't get the actual organization behind it. I was too busy with my own booth to pursue it. He is under strict orders to pick up more info from Gothard-like orgs next year. :lol:

Greenfield is an odd choice for a Maxwell conference. It is very rural, but I suppose it is technically within striking distance of a major university. I suspect that the Maxwell "Inspire! Mission" is going where they are invited. Apparently not to big cities. They did find a coordinator in small town Greenfield. Go figure? Is it really worth the gas for Uriah to get all the way to Greenfield, NH, Steve?

If we are actually able to go, it will be very interesting. I'll let you all know. :)

I love the fact that Steve has "directions to the church" on the site. It's not a church, Steve, but I guess that's just automatic, for you.

titus2.com/inspire-conference/greenfield-nh.html#venue

So it's a commercial space. Does that mean the people from the NH Homeschooling Coalition spent the money to rent this space? I have a feeling they may really regret that.

Did somebody have windshield wipers down in the Uriah Disaster Pool? Or does it have to be on the trip rather than before?

Did somebody have windshield wipers down in the Uriah Disaster Pool? Or does it have to be on the trip rather than before?

Hope those wipers hold. It's suppose to rain the whole w/end in CT. The rain that is in the Midwest now is moving East.

So glad the "girls" had time to clean before they left! I hate coming home to a dirty house! :roll:

That is one palatial bathroom!!!

Meanwhile I see Sarah has to take photos to be able to draw some scenes. Apparently she can't draw anything not from an actual photo? It's just so bizarre. Plus don't they hire the art out? I can't draw my way out of a paper bag either but on those occasions where I've needed to actually request graphics from someone else (at work, etc) they've been able to draw something based on my written description!

Meanwhile I see Sarah has to take photos to be able to draw some scenes. Apparently she can't draw anything not from an actual photo? It's just so bizarre. Plus don't they hire the art out? I can't draw my way out of a paper bag either but on those occasions where I've needed to actually request graphics from someone else (at work, etc) they've been able to draw something based on my written description!

Maybe that's the problem - it'd require description.

They should be able to draw, they do have their yearly art class, and Mary has art supplies in the microwave cabinet /SOTDRT book case with the Pepsi shelf attached to it.....

She must assume that her illustrator has as little imagination as she does--cf. the infamous treed-cat snapshot she felt compelled to stage and send her illustrator.

Somehow it seems wrong that the Maxwells are going to Connecticut and New Hampshire, land of traditional/not-fundie religion. Why can't they stick to the fundie zones?

Maybe it's an act of generosity on their part; they're allowing the FJs in the heathen NE to see the freak show first hand.

But seriously, I do understand. It's a little like Scott Brown & Co coming to Oz. It"s uncomfortable to realise there are enough ppl here who would appreciate his line of crap for it to be worthwhile for them to come all the way out here. (Although Scott Brown is financially savy enough to claim it as a tax write off, I'm sure. He probably just wanted a tax payer funded holiday.)

Was li'l Joshua defrauded by his cousin Tina? He sure is frowning toward her nether regions. I know: Her skirt is too short.

Seriously: I can't believe they go to pains to dress the girl babies in dresses/skirts. Yeah, I know, for ages the only thing babies of either sex wore, was dresses .... but pants - or better yet, just diaper covers and socks - give so much more freedom of movement. Ah, me.

MJB , you're turning practicality into an idol. Next you'll suggest the women should wear pants sometimes, that education can be useful and that Poor Sarah might be better off moving out and finding her own husband. If you encourage pragmatism, you run the risk of sliding down that slippery slope, right to the gates of hell. Besides, the 'children' would have to think for themselves, and there'd be no mini-cult for Stevhovah to control.

Skirts and dresses on a crawling baby are a real hinderance to their ability to get around.

Somehow it seems wrong that the Maxwells are going to Connecticut and New Hampshire, land of traditional/not-fundie religion. Why can't they stick to the fundie zones?

Agree! They were in New Jersery a while ago. NJ can be a very liberal state the fact that they got a crowd Suprised me.

Heh. When I was a baby, if it was summer and hot, I wore pretty much a diaper and cover (or shorts, later) ONLY. Particularly if I was just going to get all dirty anyway. Lots of pics of me in some little shorts, maybe a floppy hat, and otherwise covered in paint or whatever else...

Heh. When I was a baby, if it was summer and hot, I wore pretty much a diaper and cover (or shorts, later) ONLY. Particularly if I was just going to get all dirty anyway. Lots of pics of me in some little shorts, maybe a floppy hat, and otherwise covered in paint or whatever else...

I have a friend who lets her kid (he's four now) run around in undies or just naked a lot of the time in the summer (in the backyard, with a fence) and she has had the cops called on her several times. :roll:

(Of course, meanwhile, people are openly beating their kids and bragging about it online, and cops don't care. Wonder which parents are doing more harm? :angry-banghead: )

Was li'l Joshua defrauded by his cousin Tina? He sure is frowning toward her nether regions. I know: Her skirt is too short.

Seriously: I can't believe they go to pains to dress the girl babies in dresses/skirts. Yeah, I know, for ages the only thing babies of either sex wore, was dresses .... but pants - or better yet, just diaper covers and socks - give so much more freedom of movement. Ah, me.

Yes babies of both sex wore dresses and often nothing underneath. The dresses were for practical reasons, in farmer families no one had time to help the toddlers when they need to pee/poop, so they just had to squat on the ground and do their things... It was far from modest :lol:

Skirts and dresses on a crawling baby are a real hinderance to their ability to get around.

This. My mother never learned to crawl. She was a little girl, so her mother, my grandmother, kept her in dresses. One day my mom got tired of this nonsense, so she just started to walk.

After that, my grandma figured she'd better put the rest of her babies in pants sometimes.

Anyone curious about what the "1 Other" stop was??

I wonder if they went through Intercourse, Pennsylvania.

If they did, I doubt they'd understand the joke. The Maxwell's strike me as the kind of parents to keep their children as ignorant as possible. I'm sure Nathan and Chris's sex education consisted of a Lego talk the night before their respective weddings.

Or Blue Ball. :lol:

I have a friend who lets her kid (he's four now) run around in undies or just naked a lot of the time in the summer (in the backyard, with a fence) and she has had the cops called on her several times. :roll:

(Of course, meanwhile, people are openly beating their kids and bragging about it online, and cops don't care. Wonder which parents are doing more harm? :angry-banghead: )

I had neighbours call community services cause my four year old son was running round my front yard naked. Seriously. It was an Australian summer, btw, and he was smothered in sunscreen cause I knew he'd strip off.

I was just incredulous. I was a hippie child - it wasn't unusual for children and adults to get around naked where I grew up, it tended to only be the teenagers who wore clothes for swimming in the creek.

The welfare worker was nice enough, but she advised me to make sure my son kept his clothes on outside, mainly for the sake of keeping the peace with whatever neighbour complained, which annoyed me. If pre schoolers want to get round naked in their own yard they should be able to. All my kids went through a period of rarely wearing pants at home when they were potty training.

LOL. Oh, how I wish they'd put up a photo of the boys posing near a "Welcome to Intercourse" sign. With John giving an optimistic thumbs-up. And poor Joseph weeping.

I suspect the "other" was a bathroom pitstop. 'Cause Maxwells don't admit to urinating! (edit: oops, forgot they're going on Uriah :lol: )

My fave part of Sarah's last post, even after being stuck with her family in Uriah for 700 miles:

Company = Awesome ;)

Archived