IGNORED

Josh Duggar Has a New Job?

weiwei

Am I the only one who has a recurring image of Smuggar channeling Kirk Cameron? I see him sitting at home doing webcasts with minor celebrities in which he pulls some dumb comments out of his ass, let's his guest spout some equally stupid BS, nods sagely, reads some misquotes of the Bible from a cue card, makes a few references to the Constitution (just the word, not anything from the actual document), and then endorses the looney person running for lieutenant governor in Va. or there will be a pop-up for how to donate to FRC. His family will be props for his webcast, mostly out of the way but every so often Anna or a kid will pop up and make noise so that he can be seen as a family man.

I kind of see that too. Josh and the rest of the Duggars are already celebs in fundie circles. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh later become best buds with a Ray Comfort type and started doing some of things Comfort and Cameron do.

• Replies 667
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I emailed Discovery/TLC and requested they provide what their position is on Smug's new job at FRC. We'll see what they say or if they even bother responding. My comment was so long it was rejected for having "too many characters" so I had to cut it down a bit. I was finally able to use them writing skillz I gained at my current job - how to sound like a pompous asshole who thinks they can tell people to do whatever they want and fine them if they don't do those things. Except this time it doesn't feel wrong :D

I wrote to them Monday and asked if they had plans to continue to feature Josh Duggar in TLC programming and if by portraying him in their usual positive light this means that TLC will be supporting his anti-gay, anti-woman, and anti-non-Christian militant activism.

No response. I followed up again yesterday. Not even an acknowledgement of my email.

Maybe they were caught flat-footed and are working on a canned response. Although there is no excuse for them to have been caught flat-footed given they've known this was coming since at least March.

If the plan is to completely ignore the emails they are getting, I think they're going to just piss people off even further.

A spokesperson for TLC said they would "continue to follow the Duggar family in Arkansas" and Josh and Anna’s "life in the big city."

washingtonpost.com/blogs/reliable-source/wp/2013/06/18/josh-duggar-moving-to-d-c-for-political-job-with-family-research-council/

I don't watch the Duggars, nor do I follow any of Josh's social media and I'm not about to start now, but I do read most of their threads here and sometimes on TWOP mostly to find out "what's hiding under this rock?" I've known several people like Josh, otherwise useless, untalented, poorly educated slugs who got ahead based on WHO they know, not WHAT they know. Way back when, I used to work for a major entertainment company and our department always dreaded the summer because we knew we'd have to babysit yet another "intern," always the son or daughter of a major investor or the friend of the top execs. Without exception, these kids were absolutely useless. They'd generally been bounced from one tony private school to another, and they had no conception of what "work" meant other than as it concerned their tans or golf games. But it was our job to make sure they were visible at public events, to ghostwrite releases and articles that went out with their bylines and to give them all the glory in the short but excruciating two months they were with us. We resented the ever-loving fuck out them, especially the people who had gotten their advanced degrees and paid their dues and pretty much did a slow burn all summer as they coddled their charges. I see Josh in exactly the same way. He's nothing more than a name and a small one at that. No doubt he'll have his handlers who will feed him lines, coach him heavily, write his speeches and otherwise supervise his every move as "executive director." And no doubt that they'll resent him as well and anxiously await, if not aid and abet the inevitable crash-and-burn. Have there been people who overcame educational, economic and other deficits and created great successes out of nothing? Absolutely. But these are people who pushed themselves, absorbed every morsel of knowledge, challenged themselves and WORKED their way up. Nothing was handed to them like it's being handed to Josh. There's absolutely no incentive for him to do more than the bare minimum and I'm pretty sure that's all that's expected of him, figurehead that he is. All the real work will be done by faceless nobodies behind the scenes.

I recently did work for an event where FRC's Ken Klukowski appeared as a part of a scheduled debate (the other side was more than adequately represented!). I couldn't help but think of Josh Duggar when I looked at Klukowski's credentials. I'd like to say the Klukowski would eat Josh for lunch but Josh doesn't even rate that. No, he's more like what Klukowski would pick out of his teeth AFTER lunch. Josh is that much of a nothing.

I also have little doubt that FRC is most likely subsidizing not only Josh's move but giving him a housing subsidy as well. It's not unusual when you have to relocate a transfer or new hire, especially when that hire is a "celebrity."

I don't watch the Duggars, nor do I follow any of Josh's social media and I'm not about to start now, but I do read most of their threads here and sometimes on TWOP mostly to find out "what's hiding under this rock?" I've known several people like Josh, otherwise useless, untalented, poorly educated slugs who got ahead based on WHO they know, not WHAT they know. Way back when, I used to work for a major entertainment company and our department always dreaded the summer because we knew we'd have to babysit yet another "intern," always the son or daughter of a major investor or the friend of the top execs. Without exception, these kids were absolutely useless. They'd generally been bounced from one tony private school to another, and they had no conception of what "work" meant other than as it concerned their tans or golf games. But it was our job to make sure they were visible at public events, to ghostwrite releases and articles that went out with their bylines and to give them all the glory in the short but excruciating two months they were with us. We resented the ever-loving fuck out them, especially the people who had gotten their advanced degrees and paid their dues and pretty much did a slow burn all summer as they coddled their charges. I see Josh in exactly the same way. He's nothing more than a name and a small one at that. No doubt he'll have his handlers who will feed him lines, coach him heavily, write his speeches and otherwise supervise his every move as "executive director." And no doubt that they'll resent him as well and anxiously await, if not aid and abet the inevitable crash-and-burn. Have there been people who overcame educational, economic and other deficits and created great successes out of nothing? Absolutely. But these are people who pushed themselves, absorbed every morsel of knowledge, challenged themselves and WORKED their way up. Nothing was handed to them like it's being handed to Josh. There's absolutely no incentive for him to do more than the bare minimum and I'm pretty sure that's all that's expected of him, figurehead that he is. All the real work will be done by faceless nobodies behind the scenes.

I recently did work for an event where FRC's Ken Klukowski appeared as a part of a scheduled debate (the other side was more than adequately represented!). I couldn't help but think of Josh Duggar when I looked at Klukowski's credentials. I'd like to say the Klukowski would eat Josh for lunch but Josh doesn't even rate that. No, he's more like what Klukowski would pick out of his teeth AFTER lunch. Josh is that much of a nothing.

I also have little doubt that FRC is most likely subsidizing not only Josh's move but giving him a housing subsidy as well. It's not unusual when you have to relocate a transfer or new hire, especially when that hire is a "celebrity."

Sparkles, hear you in the awful, intern summer thing. Years ago, I also worked for a company that brought in the college-aged kids of the corporate bigshots over the summer and it was damned annoying. These kids were closer to my age (late 20's) at the time, so a bunch of us younger workers would be tasked to hang out with them at lunch and breaks and endure their prattling. It was a chore and we couldn't wait until the end of the summer. I think the bigwigs were hoping that their kids would make friends out of us, but it didn't take long for us to resent them. No one who ground their way their college like myself and some others wanted to hear about why our parents didn't (or couldn't) pay for college or weddings and that they were then shirking their responsibilities. I wouldn't be surprised if Josh makes a lot of similar dumb, clueless, statements in dealing with his coworkers. There will be resentment and and I wouldn't be surprised if someone actively undermines him.

Sparkles and nokids mom, it sounds like you both have unique insight into dealing with wealthy, useless celebrities and their spawn.

I have a question - did babysitting these rich kids ever pay off in the long run for either of you or for the people you worked with? I guess what I'm asking is, did any of these spoiled, entitled little darlings ever come back to you or your co-workers and say, "I remember you, thanks for helping me way back when," and then offer a leg up, social connections, or any other kind of financial help to the people in your companies? Or did they all just cut and run at the end of the summer?

Somehow, I don't see Josh scratching anyone else's back in return for favors unless it benefitted him in some (public) way.

Sparkles and nokids mom, it sounds like you both have unique insight into dealing with wealthy, useless celebrities and their spawn.

I have a question - did babysitting these rich kids ever pay off in the long run for either of you or for the people you worked with? I guess what I'm asking is, did any of these spoiled, entitled little darlings ever come back to you or your co-workers and say, "I remember you, thanks for helping me way back when," and then offer a leg up, social connections, or any other kind of financial help to the people in your companies? Or did they all just cut and run at the end of the summer?

Somehow, I don't see Josh scratching anyone else's back in return for favors unless it benefitted him in some (public) way.

No, in my case they cut and ran at the end of the summer, no thanks for any help along their time there. One of them, the president's son, got hired (by his dad, no less) for some BS position created just for him, after he finished college and just when the company was being sold. I left soon after that so don't know what happened to him. Do remember my boss was considerably annoyed over him coming on board permanently and my younger coworkers were like "oh, no!". He was a entitled little snot so can't imagine he thanked anybody, not even his dad.

I wrote to them Monday and asked if they had plans to continue to feature Josh Duggar in TLC programming and if by portraying him in their usual positive light this means that TLC will be supporting his anti-gay, anti-woman, and anti-non-Christian militant activism.

No response. I followed up again yesterday. Not even an acknowledgement of my email.

Maybe they were caught flat-footed and are working on a canned response. Although there is no excuse for them to have been caught flat-footed given they've known this was coming since at least March.

If the plan is to completely ignore the emails they are getting, I think they're going to just piss people off even further.

When I submitted my comment on the website, it said they would respond within a week. I'm figuring I'll get an auto response first, and if I'm lucky I'll get an email from some intern thanking me for being a viewer and for expressing my concern.

Josh is an empty suit-marginally educated, willfully ignorant, distressingly unskilled, lazy and arrogant and totally unprepared for the workplace. I'm sure he'll be a mere showpiece for the FRC while more qualified people will do all the work. Remember, Josh's idea of political campaigning is showing up at Santorum events and his idea of working on social issues is eating at Chik-fil-a. I hate the FRC with my entire being, but I feel sorry for staff members who are educated, hard-working and highly skilled and will have to deal with Smugs and his fuckwittery.

And like many of you, I have my own experiences dealing with the Josh Duggars of the world, well-connected, spoiled assholes who have all the talent and smarts of a gnat and who bring nothing positive to the workplace. It's not fun and it really mocks the idea that the American workplace is a meritocracy.

Re: the bold. Yep, that's going to be the real eye-opener for him. Even if they live in a conservative suburb, both he and Anna are going to run into a lot of people different from them. Just in the course of simply living in this diverse area, shopping there, commuting to work, attending political functions (and yes, Anna will be at some of them) etc. Even at the FRC, Josh is going to find that other conservatives are different as not all are quiverfull, full-on fundies with SOTDRT educations like him. It's gonna be a shocker.

Agreed. Being conservative in Northern Virginia is usually not quite the same as being conservative in many other parts of the country. It's such a unique area (including the fact that most residents don't say that they're from Virginia, but instead either say they're from Northern Virginia or DC) - it's hard to explain until you've really spent time here. Do we know if Josh and Anna have actually spent much time in VA yet, or has it all been DC?

This is the response I got from my email to TLC/Discovery - typical canned email (it took about a week):

Dear Viewer:

Thank you for contacting TLC. We appreciate your correspondence and for

taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns with us about 19 Kids

and Counting.

In an effort to ensure the highest quality programming, comments such as

these are taken very seriously. Each and every comment is forwarded on to

our programming executives for review and consideration. Maintaining the

integrity of all of our networks is our primary goal. It is these types of

comments that contribute to creating change and improving our programming.

Again, thank you for contacting TLC.

Sincerely,

Viewer Relations

TLC

This is the response I got from my email to TLC/Discovery - typical canned email (it took about a week):

Dear Viewer:

Thank you for contacting TLC. We appreciate your correspondence and for

taking the time to share your thoughts and concerns with us about 19 Kids

and Counting.

In an effort to ensure the highest quality programming, comments such as

these are taken very seriously. Each and every comment is forwarded on to

our programming executives for review and consideration. Maintaining the

integrity of all of our networks is our primary goal. It is these types of

comments that contribute to creating change and improving our programming.

Again, thank you for contacting TLC.

Sincerely,

Viewer Relations

TLC

I just got the same one.

Why would it take a week to send a canned response? Maybe they time them that way to make it look like someone is actually reading the emails.

I just got the same one.

Why would it take a week to send a canned response? Maybe they time them that way to make it look like someone is actually reading the emails.

I also just received the same one. They must have sent out a mass email responding.

I also just received the same one. They must have sent out a mass email responding.

Yup!!! Just came on here to say I received an email, and it looks like everyone else did too. Same thing, too. Any guesses on whether or not someone will respond?

Agreed. Being conservative in Northern Virginia is usually not quite the same as being conservative in many other parts of the country. It's such a unique area (including the fact that most residents don't say that they're from Virginia, but instead either say they're from Northern Virginia or DC) - it's hard to explain until you've really spent time here. Do we know if Josh and Anna have actually spent much time in VA yet, or has it all been DC?

And this is exactly why I'm happy they're making the move. I don't really care what happens to Josh or Anna, but if they're in DC long enough for their kids to get a greater perspective on what goes on in the world other than what they'd get in BFE Arkansas, I'm thrilled. They can't unsee it. Hopefully it will stick with them as they grow up. I feel the same way about all the exposure to the world the Duggar kids have gotten due to TLC. I hate the Duggars' show and how they try to make Gothardism look pretty, but if there's anything good that can come of it, it's the little seeds of worldliness that have surely been planted within the kids' minds. They know there's a bigger world out there and plenty of people who don't look or act or think like them. The curious ones are going to want to know more about that world one day. They aren't going to see the outside world as a scary, demonic place outside their father's umbrella. They're going to remember the fun, exciting things they've done, the "different" people who were nice to them, and the other cultures they've glimpsed. Having seen the world may be what saves some of them.

If they end up in a neighborhood like some of my family lives in, in Northern Virginia, even if they don't interact with others they are going to be exposed to a ton more diversity than exists in bumfuck Arkansas just by walking out their door to go to the car. Seriously. And going to the store, or taking the kids out to play? Most definitely.

Part of me is laughing evilly at the thought but most of me hopes that this turns out to be good for them. Especially the kids.

So what's happening with the car lot? Is it going to John David? It doesn't seem like a good fit for him. What about the employees?

So what's happening with the car lot? Is it going to John David? It doesn't seem like a good fit for him. What about the employees?

Someone posted that the card lot has been sold.

I was surprised that Boob didn't keep the car lot for Josiah.

Maybe this means more career opportunities for the boys? Or they all get funneled into JD's towing service...

I live in a very conservative suburb outside of a major midwestern city. It is all red, but the republicans here are more of the "why don't poor people just buy more money?". A quiverful home school family would not fit in at all. This is going to be a huge eye opener for them. What happens when Mack gets invited to play dates and birthday parties?

I live in a very conservative suburb outside of a major midwestern city. It is all red, but the republicans here are more of the "why don't poor people just buy more money?". A quiverful home school family would not fit in at all. This is going to be a huge eye opener for them. What happens when Mack gets invited to play dates and birthday parties?

Yep, and what happens if Mack goes to those play dates and birthday parties and sees how other people live? Or if she is kept from them and left out when Josh and Anna realize that people around them are different and want to protect her? Either way, it's going to make some impression on her.

Maybe this means more career opportunities for the boys? Or they all get funneled into JD's towing service...

My guess is that the car lot business wasn't doing well enough to justify holding on to it. Sure, Josh didn't work very hard at it but still there had to be other employees covering for him to keep it afloat. Could have been a number of business related reasons like local competition (new car sales are generally good now) to employee issues (can't imagine employee morale was the greatest with Smuggar as the boss). If so, that's rather interesting because JB has been in the car business for years.

Archived