IGNORED

Introduce Yourself

Deleted04

You won the internetz for best user name.

Oh, that's up there with mine for worse mothers group story.

When I went to mothers group for the first time when my first child was a few weeks old, the midwife running it started a circle discussion about how our babies were sleeping. When they got to me I said that my daughter was co-sleeping with me, and this woman flipped out and started yelling at me that I was ignorant and irresponsible, and that next week she'd bring me autopsy photos of dead babies whose mothers were selfish and lazy enough to co-sleep......

I left (in tears, i was only 23), and never went back, but I have co-slept with all three of my children, who are all alive and healthy, and plan to do so with my final baby when we decide to have him/ her.

Sorry for the thread jack, it's just I've finally heard a worse mothers group story than mine.....

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi!!! I've been lurking for years and a member for a while, but never dared to post... I'm a 35 year old Spanish feminist, part time mother and also a gendre equality policies consultant. Glad to be here!

Hi!!! I've been lurking for years and a member for a while, but never dared to post... I'm a 35 year old Spanish feminist, part time mother and also a gendre equality policies consultant. Glad to be here!

Wow! Looking forward to hearing your perspectives!

Hey, I have been on FJ for just over a year, usually lurking as it is good method of procrastination from university work.

I have a morbid fascination with the Stay at Home Daughters, as I could have been one. Not because of my parent's religious convictions, but of my disability. I have a very rare combination of: mild cerebral palsy, dyspraxia and AS which was if the doctor's predictions at the time of my diagnosis at 2 would have resulted in non qualifications and being dependent on my parents for the rest of my life.

I'm very very lucky, that this is not the case, something that my neurologist. I'm instead living away from home and with the help of an amazing team of assistants, I'm doing my Masters in political theory and hoping to do my dissertation exploring George W Bush's foreign policy from a feminist perspective focusing on the renewal of the global gag rule and neoconserativism.

I find FJ to be brilliant source of not just a way of wasting time but good inspiration for unusual takes on writing essays.

Hey, I have been on FJ for just over a year, usually lurking as it is good method of procrastination from university work.

I have a morbid fascination with the Stay at Home Daughters, as I could have been one. Not because of my parent's religious convictions, but of my disability. I have a very rare combination of: mild cerebral palsy, dyspraxia and AS which was if the doctor's predictions at the time of my diagnosis at 2 would have resulted in non qualifications and being dependent on my parents for the rest of my life.

I'm very very lucky, that this is not the case, something that my wonderful neurologist cannot explain. I'm instead living away from home with the help of an amazing team of assistants, and doing my Masters in political theory and hoping to do my dissertation exploring George W Bush's foreign policy from a feminist perspective focusing on the renewal of the global gag rule and neoconserativism.

I love FJ not just for a way of wasting time but as a great source of news and a catalyst for new ideas.

Oh, that's up there with mine for worse mothers group story.

When I went to mothers group for the first time when my first child was a few weeks old, the midwife running it started a circle discussion about how our babies were sleeping. When they got to me I said that my daughter was co-sleeping with me, and this woman flipped out and started yelling at me that I was ignorant and irresponsible, and that next week she'd bring me autopsy photos of dead babies whose mothers were selfish and lazy enough to co-sleep......

I left (in tears, i was only 23), and never went back, but I have co-slept with all three of my children, who are all alive and healthy, and plan to do so with my final baby when we decide to have him/ her.

Sorry for the thread jack, it's just I've finally heard a worse mothers group story than mine.....

OMG, that's terrible. It's not true to begin with and it's just a horrible thing to tell a mom. I have read of only one death from "co-sleeping" but it involved a grandmother who was intoxicated and slept with the baby on a couch. I believe the baby was a newborn , she rolled on top of the baby and the bay was smothered. Co-sleeping is safe in a bed and with sober parents. We co-slept too and our children are now adults.

I'm another longtime lurker since shortly after the rapture. Still a scardy cat about posting but I'll try my best...

I'm a late 20s New Englander, and I work in the nonprofit world. My husband's a PhD candidate. I'm Catholic-ish and Hubby's a godless heathen. We have one cat, who we dote on embarrassingly. I'm an outspoken feminist and environmentalist, and I love to ride my bikes for fun and commuting. I've been reading fundy blogs for YEARS. It's always been my own, weird interest. So I was pleased when That Wife led me to GOMI, which led me here.

The Incident has made me aware that, while I feel attached to this community, none of you know me from Adam. And if I want to be part of how it's shaped going forward then that needs to change. So, hello!

Edited for riffles... sigh. Fat fingers on a touch screen never goes well.

Hello everyone. After lurking for years thought I would finally register and come out of the lurking shadows. I am a 60+ artist who was once called "the devil" by a fundie in a mothers group I belonged to in the 70's.

Color me intrigued. I would like to see a lot more of BillyGsCheesyWeiner please. :lol:

Okay

I'm out of lurking, have had an account but not posted (I think).

I have been reading since yuku.

I'm 23, and studying for a teaching degree in elementary education :)

Color me intrigued. I would like to see a lot more of BillyGsCheesyWeiner please. :lol:

Ew. Get a crunchy perm and a denim skirt (mid thigh length) and hang out at Gothard HQ then.

I've posted a couple of times but never introduced myself. I started lurking shortly before the forum moved from yuku.

I'm early thirties, from the midwest, and grew up fundy Catholic before going to college. Now I enjoy running, hanging out with my toddler and husband, gaming, various internetting and imbibing the evil alcohols.

Hello all!

Yet another perpetual lurker coming out of lurkdom, LOL! I've introduced myself before but I'm happy to do so again. I'm a 43 year old regionally based (aka working from home) software industry project manager living in MA. I'm childless, single (and loving it), but happy to live with 2 lovely standard poodles who are the bomb. I was raised in a non-religious household, but was baptized Catholic and even went to Catholic school for a few years (due to the then-crappy school system, not for religious reasons) before going back to the public school fold. I'll admit that my attending Catholic school during that time cemented my non-religious mindset, and I'd classify myself as a secular humanist these days.

I first found out about FJ from lurking on the TWOP Duggar threads, posted a few times on the Yuku board and came over when it was raptured and lurked since then. I've always had an interest in religion/cults, however, even as a child. Hearing about the Jonestown suicides on TV as a child set it off, I think… That started me reading about cults and religions, and it's made me very wary, especially with the rise of the Religious Right in US politics. So glad to be here – and I promise to post more!

Hi everyone! Since I already de-lurked elsewhere I'll go ahead and introduce myself. I'm almost 26, Christian, raised in a household that hovered between fundie and fundie-lite. I now consider myself a liberal-leaning moderate Christian (aka The Devil, to Gothardites). I'm still trying to work through some of my old fundie-childhood issues. Recently started dating for the first time, a sweet feminist Christian guy who was public schooled and raised in a non-fundie family, and he's being super patient with all of my deep-seated guilt issues.

I attended a Christian college, got a degree in Biblical Studies, then went on to study linguistics, which I finished about a year ago. It's turned out to be incredibly impractical in this economy, so I'll probably be going back to school soon with an eye on computer science. For now I'm self-employed, selling handknit stuff through an online store. I've worked as a nanny for various families for most of my adult life, and think kids are pretty much awesome. Remains to be seen whether I'll have any of my own. I'm cool either way; my real goal for my life is to show people love and make a meaningful contribution to human society, something that can pass to the next generation and the next. In my fundie past I thought the only way I could do that was by having kids (the more the better). Definitely don't believe that anymore.

I joined a while ago and have been lurking ever since. I really like reading the forums here and hope that FJ can recover from this debacle. The topics discussed here are not discussed anywhere else or in real life. At least that's the case with me. Many posters here are insightful and witty, JFC and debrand being some of my favorites.

Anyway, lets just say that I am a female in my early twenties and a college student. I am unsure of my future goals, although I am leaning towards medical school. I am also thinking about being a programmer. I'm pretty good at coding and I learn fast. Maybe I'll focus on developing apps for smartphones and tablets. Who knows.

Also, there are words that are used here that I don't know the meaning of. They keep coming up and I can't figure out.

For example, what is 'SOTDT' and 'eleventy'?

I joined a while ago and have been lurking ever since. I really like reading the forums here and hope that FJ can recover from this debacle. The topics discussed here are not discussed anywhere else or in real life. At least that's the case with me. Many posters here are insightful and witty, JFC and debrand being some of my favorites.

Anyway, lets just say that I am a female in my early twenties and a college student. I am unsure of my future goals, although I am leaning towards medical school. I am also thinking about being a programmer. I'm pretty good at coding and I learn fast. Maybe I'll focus on developing apps for smartphones and tablets. Who knows.

Also, there are words that are used here that I don't know the meaning of. They keep coming up and I can't figure out.

For example, what is 'SOTDT' and 'eleventy'?

SOTDRT = School of the dining room table. It's a shot at the very poor efforts of homeschooling that we see in many fundies.

Eleventy = comes mainly from Rebecca!!!!ELEVENTY!1111. A blogger with a fetish for exclamation mark abuse. She will often use multiple exclamation points at the end of a sentence, sometimes mistyping to include 11. That then became eleventy, like this!!!!!!!111ELEVENTY11!!!

Do we have a "glossary" thread where we can explain the various def. of frequently used words and expressions?

Is "glossary" even a word? In French I'm used to "glossaire".

It could be a good idea to have such a thread pinned in snark, near the bloggers list, if we don't have one already.

SOTDRT = School of the dining room table. It's a shot at the very poor efforts of homeschooling that we see in many fundies.

Eleventy = comes mainly from Rebecca!!!!ELEVENTY!1111. A blogger with a fetish for exclamation mark abuse. She will often use multiple exclamation points at the end of a sentence, sometimes mistyping to include 11. That then became eleventy, like this!!!!!!!111ELEVENTY11!!!

Thank you, Sola. :)

Do we have a "glossary" thread where we can explain the various def. of frequently used words and expressions?

Is "glossary" even a word? In French I'm used to "glossaire".

It could be a good idea to have such a thread pinned in snark, near the bloggers list, if we don't have one already.

I agree fakepigtails73. A glossery of terms would be very helpful to those of us who are new here.

Hello, I've been here since the YUKU days (it was another board service that hosted us at the time before the RAPTURE!!), so, a few years? I am a lifetime New Englander, married with two furbabies. Aaannnnd that's all I got.

Ok, I'll play too. Lurked for ages, jumped into posting courtesy of Sparkling Lauren who seems to be declining rapidly.

I'm an Aussie mum of 2 pre-teens. Work part time in a counselling role. A laid-back atheist (each to their own. I generally avoid religious discussions because the majority of people are firmly entrenched and at best you end up agreeing to disagree). Supporter of formal schooling and structured learning. Chocolate lover. Avid book reader.

Ok, I'll play too. Lurked for ages, jumped into posting courtesy of Sparkling Lauren who seems to be declining rapidly.

I'm an Aussie mum of 2 pre-teens. Work part time in a counselling role. A laid-back atheist (each to their own. I generally avoid religious discussions because the majority of people are firmly entrenched and at best you end up agreeing to disagree). Supporter of formal schooling and structured learning. Chocolate lover. Avid book reader.

Ooooh, we sound like we have a bit in common.

Finally delurking after reading FJ for many years. Early 30s, married, no kids (yet? Still undecided). I grew up in a catholic home, had a short-lived very religious (christian but not catholic) period in my early 20's, and now consider myself to be an atheist. I find religion in general fascinating. I'm more of a reader than a participator so I will probably disappear back into lurkdom, but hopefully I'll contribute to the discussion every once in a while.

HI, coming out of lurking. I've been lurking for about a year I think. I found you by looking up Vision Forum. I grew up fundamentalist but have had some life experiences that got me out of it. I am still struggling with it and thats why I haven't post much here because I worry I will say the wrong things. I will keep lurking and maybe try to say something now and then. :D I live in California and have grown children. I am divorced.

Ooooh, we sound like we have a bit in common.

That doesn't surprise me actually. I have found myself nodding at quite a few of your posts. ;)

Archived