IGNORED

Introduce Yourself

Deleted04

Hi, I'm happy atheist.

Obviously I'm an atheist. And I'm happy. As a kid I was infrequently dragged to church by my grandparents. It might have been an Episcopal church, but don't quote me on that. Mr Atheist is also an atheist. Our sons were raised without religion, despite some pressure from my MIL.

I live in the northeastern US. My husband is awesome, as are my two sons. We are between pets at the moment, but are probably going to get a new puppy this spring.

I have strong opinions about many things, but I'm not going to debate theology with anyone. I lack both the interest and the vocabulary.

• Replies 981
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello, I'm SunnySideUp!

I'm Catholic, but certainly not a fundie. I love children and have always wanted many, which is why I began watching the Duggars. As time went on, I began to question their picture effect portrayal and somehow stumbled upon Free Jinger.

My name is SunnySideUp because I am an eternal optimist. I'm still holding out for the day when Smuggar stops being so damn smug and takes some responsibility. There's no talking me out of it, it's just the way I am :) Also, I really like breakfast food, including eggs, but that's beside the point

I live in the Midwest and am excited to graduate from college soon. I have never had a real pet and don't plan on having children for awhile.

I don't debate much because I understand that I am still young and my opinions on many issues are not fully formed yet. However, I am as sarcastic as the day is long and I love snarking.

Hi all. I've been lurking since the height of the Dna and Emily days on Yuku. I registered in December of last year because I thought I might get my nerve up to post (although...I didn't). If I was a Maxwell, I'd be thanking god for guiding me to that fortuitous decision since I don't know what I'd be doing without my freejinger fix now.

I'm in my early 30's, married, with two small children. I grew up liberal Methodist and have since given up on organized religion entirely, partly from laziness and an inability to get two small children and a recovering Catholic husband out the door and anywhere on Sunday. I'm in central Ohio and saw many in my high school be swallowed up into the local fundie-lite (or perhaps, fundie-medium) big box church that seemed to take off in the mid-90's and is still going strong. That's really where my interest started.

I abandoned a PhD in anthropology about a decade ago, and I often think that if I went back, I'd love to do an ethnography of the Morton/Smith/Sanders clan.

So, that's it. This is the first time I've posted in any internet forum, and I am ridiculously nervous.

Hello, I'm Jhirun. I live in Australia. I am 53, married with two grown children. I was raised Catholic with a strong dose of Irish superstition and an acceptance of all other faiths, races and sexualities. I consider myself fortunate to have had enlightened parents and grandparents. I was a m/m slash writer for many years and was involved in several online communities. That is where my little icon comes from although my user name was different. I have lurked on FJ since way back on EZboard but had only posted something once many moons ago. I am trying to get more involved now.

Hi! I'm a cradle catholic but currently an atheist. Mid-30s, married, no kids. I have read and enjoyed this board for years and am now making an active effort to become more involved and actually make posts, although just lurking is what comes most naturally to me.

Delurking here too.

I grew up in the Bible belt, and seeing fundies around is nothing new, but didn't run into many in the public schools of course!

I'm not very organized, and when I got married to a neat freak, I turned to the internet for help in figuring out how to get my stuff in order. That's how I found Candy, when she touted the Pearls, and posted photos that she'd run a sketch filter on.

I eventually joined Mrs. Catherine's mailing list, but I had no idea what I was getting into with that. I figured they'd just be like the people I grew up with who'd put scripture verses on their mirror, but were otherwise like everyone else. I got to know Coffee Catholic there, and while I think she has some big issues, person-to-person she's really very sweet and kind. I finally left that group after the reading one too many times that the women were not going to take their kids to the doctor, but instead were asking for a home remedy to fix the problem. One woman even asked for a home remedy for her husband's prostate cancer!

I've lurked here for a couple of years, I guess. I'm looking forward to being a bit more active on the threads.

Hi!

Raised in England but have lived in the US since I got married here at 19 (!) don't worry, that's the only Fundie type thing I've ever done. I live in Maryland, have an 11 year old daughter, and I'm about to graduate with a degree in Social Work. I seem to do lots of things backwards :)

Religion wise, I'm agnostic leaning towards atheist. I was raised Anglican by society, and sent to church by parents who preferred not to go. I have been described as a tree hugging liberal by my in laws, who lean rightward.

Hello,

My name is Melissa - which you can tell from my ultra original username! I've been a reader here (lurker seems creepy! :) ) since the yuku days. I was actually a poster on yuku with the same user name but stopped posting and never bothered to register since the move here. Hope to be more active now though.

Hi all,

I'm Jenny. I grew up in the mid-west (of the US). I was raised Methodist, but am now hoping to find a church that has good music (weird criteria, I know). I enjoy playing music and play in a community group and a beginning steel band. I work in an academic library and in my spare time I like relaxing in front of the TV or Computer.

I've been lurking here for several months and while I may not post a lot, I'm glad to be a member.

~Jenny

Hi! I'm 37, and live in the Deep South. Divorced, and mom to 1 fuzzy daughter. I've been reading here for way too long, so its time to finally join in the fun!

Hi everyone. I'm from Switzerland. I'm 30 y.o. and a mother of 3 boys. I studied philosophy and religious science (one of the many subjects was fundamentalism). I have been reading this forum for a few months.

English is not my mother tongue so I apologize in advance for my mistakes...

Hi guys, I'm a 30-something California girl who is about to transplant to Missouri. I've lurked here since the Yuku days and thought I'd finally take the plunge and become a member.

I've been married for 10 years but no kids yet. We lavish all our love on our 12 year old dog, Kalie and our 7 year old cat, Stella. I was raised Southern Baptist but now I've found my home in the Episcopal church (much to my mother's horror)

I most likely won't post much, but I really appreciate all the hard work that goes into exposing the lies of fundamentalism.

Hi everyone. I'm Major Major and I'm coming out of the creepy lurker closet. I'm a 22 year old student/wife/mom finishing my undergrad this year and either starting a career in special education or, pending an awesome fellowship opportunity starting a Masters in Education program this fall.

I live in michigan with Little Major (2), Mr. Major, and Bunny Major. I grew up in a very conservative branch of Christianity that didn't allow women to have any leadership roles, didn't allow instruments, and was extremely adamant about the importance of submission and purity in women. I am now a happy agnostic, leaning toward secular humanism. I love reading FJ and hope to contribute as much as my crazy schedule allows.

I'm de-lurking as well.

22 and from Saskatchewan, Canada. Currently at a bit of a crossroads, as I have no idea where I want to go in life or what I want to do, and the whole situation makes me panic a bit.

My family was never terribly religious. We only went to church once or twice, and only because a family friend asked us. Mom and Dad were cool with letting me and my baby brother ask questions and figure out our own points of view on the great big universe and our lot in it. I sort of flitter back and forth between agnosticism and atheism.

Hopefully I'll become a more active participant here, but it takes me a bit to get warmed up, so to speak.

Hello! I am a 29-year old classical musician-turned-medical student in Ontario, Canada. My partner and I are both on parental leave right now, marveling at our baby boy. I'll be tearing myself away in order to return to my studies in August 2013.

Anec-data (i.e. anecdotes presented as evidence) is my nemesis.

As a cradle-atheist, I am completely (morbidly) fascinated by religious fundamentalism. I've been lurking here for a few years, and am looking forward to keeping up with the snark :)

Hi,

I'm new here, but long time lurker. I think FJ actually saved me from heading down the fundie lifestyle. I'm 40 and living in the pacific northwest, but I grew up in Alaska. We have three kiddos and I homeschool, but I really actually school them and they are getting a much better education than what they would be getting in the public schools. Plus, we're not afraid to put the boys in out there in society. Part of the reason we homeschool is so that they have more of a chance of getting out there.

Hi, basically just joined. I'm a guy in my late 20's, am an atheist from an extremely backwoods Southern town and am gay. A good friend turned me on to these forums so I hope to see you guys around.

Archived