IGNORED

Maxwells are home!

OkToBeTakei

I'm impressed. Could there possibly be a tiny lightening of the rules?

Mary actually looked nice.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Anonymous
I really ought to stop looking at the blog. People who have more gum than teeth should not be forced to smile constantly. And now, of course, that's all my eyes go to in the damned photos. That's not gonna get 'em married off any faster, Steve!

gummy-smile.jpg

(Not a Maxwell, merely provided for illustration.)

Yup, compulsory cosmetic surgery for all, lest anyone's natural features offend another person's feefees... :roll:

Yup, compulsory cosmetic surgery for all, lest anyone's natural features offend another person's feefees... :roll:

Put more even-handedly, there's a reason I don't post photos online that emphasize the thinning hair on a recurring basis.

Guest Anonymous

Put more even-handedly, there's a reason I don't post photos online that emphasize the thinning hair on a recurring basis.

Your choices are your own. I just don't get why it would cross your mind that another person should not smile based on how their looks offend your sensibilities. That's an area in which even Steve Maxwell gives women more freedom than you... something to think about. :shock:

I would agree anniec.

But feefees? I just kind of exploded with laughter there :D

Your choices are your own. I just don't get why it would cross your mind that another person should not smile based on how their looks offend your sensibilities. That's an area in which even Steve Maxwell gives women more freedom than you... something to think about. :shock:

+1

What the WHAT? In the photo of Teri & Mary at the restaurant, Mary appears to have a bump in her hair! As in, she might've gathered part of her hair into a ponytail over a little backcombing?!

I almost hate to mention it, STeve will realize what's going on and that will be the end of some dimension and shape to otherwise-boring long straight hair.

Question #2, why do the Maxwelladies pose kind of standoffishly together, as often as they don't? Yet usually when they pose with brothers, the pairs are almost always seem nice and friendly-close, like they've got near arms around each other's waist.

Thought #3. No insets at the skirt waists?? Steve-O must be the horndog to end all horndogs! Charlie Sheen, look and feel inferior! Steve, it's not a sin. It's called an active libido, a strong sex drive, too much testosterone. (Well, that last one is more alliterative than medically factual)

Anyway, there's a solution for that: saltpeter. Take it and relax. And you'l be able to relax your mania for American-style burkas as well.

Note to those who don't like gummy smiles. They're not my favorite thing, either, but I have to say that Anna looks the least robotic in most of the photos we're shown. I'm thinking the first FJian to crash a Maxwellecture said as much, but I could be wrong.

It would be interesting to see how Anna looks with a smaller smile, which she could easily do. She's a pretty young woman, all the Maxwell daughters are. Teri had her pretty phase but the fact that she's been hand-in-glove with Steve in forcing her children into this weird mold makes her forever UNattractive to me. JMHO

Guest Anonymous

It would be interesting to see how Anna looks with a smaller smile, which she could easily do.

What on earth you mean by this?

:shock: Is Anna carrying a Vera Bradley handbag? That's...that's almost trendy!

My shock matches yours: I'm 99% sure it's a VB and those puppies is expensive!!!!

Unless, like me, she got lucky and found one in a resale shop for $5. The zipper's wonky but other than that, it's a VERA BRADLEY! (Another reason I'm kinda liking Anna. I don't give a fig about most labels, but from the first time I first saw a Vera Bradley, I was simply hooked. Some patterns grab me more than others -- I wouldn't buy Anna's bag in a resale, and the current VB line has way too many '60s motifs and paisleys for my taste -- but overall, those are beautiful pieces.)

What on earth you mean by this?

Sorry, didn't see your question in my mania for things Vera.

By "a smaller smile," I on earth and in heaven mean the kind of smile Teri usually gives. Teri's got a gummy smile but doesn't always smile widely enough to show it.

You know the actress Linda Kozlowski, who married Paul (Crocodile Dundee) Hogan? She's got a gummy smile. Sometimes she smiles all the way, sometimes she smiles - it still looks very genuine - without showing her gums.

I call that a smaller smile. Could also call it a half-smile, but that had negative connotations in my brain, or what passes for a brain, in me. ;)

Some people have smaller mouths. Their wide/full smiles show their teeth; their half/smaller smiles look almost as if their lips are closeed, but not.

It wasn't a slam at Anna by any means, I apologize for poor commication if that's how it appeared. I hold no ill will against the kids who don't know anything but what they were born into. There's really none left over from what I feel toward the parents who force/d them into this mishigas!

Guest Anonymous

Sorry, didn't see your question in my mania for things Vera.

By "a smaller smile," I on earth and in heaven mean the kind of smile Teri usually gives. Teri's got a gummy smile but doesn't always smile widely enough to show it.

You know the actress Linda Kozlowski, who married Paul (Crocodile Dundee) Hogan? She's got a gummy smile. Sometimes she smiles all the way, sometimes she smiles - it still looks very genuine - without showing her gums.

I call that a smaller smile. Could also call it a half-smile, but that had negative connotations in my brain, or what passes for a brain, in me. ;)

Some people have smaller mouths. Their wide/full smiles show their teeth; their half/smaller smiles look almost as if their lips are closeed, but not.

It wasn't a slam at Anna by any means, I apologize for poor commication if that's how it appeared. I hold no ill will against the kids who don't know anything but what they were born into. There's really none left over from what I feel toward the parents who force/d them into this mishigas!

That's what I suspected you meant. I'm still thinking WTF at the suggestion that another human being should unnaturally smile 'a smaller smile' for any reason whatsoever.

anniec writes:

That's what I suspected you meant. I'm still thinking WTF at the suggestion that another human being should unnaturally smile 'a smaller smile' for any reason whatsoever.

I'm taking your point, I really am, but OTOH I think there are times when a person doesn't necessarily have to give a smile their all-out effort. And honestly, wrt the Maxwells, I find it suspicious that every time the camera turns on them they are going to smile their biggest brightest bestest.

Srsly, Maxwells? Are you always just that joyous and happy? Maybe you are. I dunno. Sometimes - smoke me if this seems wrong - their great big shining grins just seem forced.

Here's a thought - poor little Abby, and I do mean that, because I'm not sure she's being raised any differently than her younger aunts were. She used to wrinkle up her nose in a big toothy grin, and suddenly she has that polite, lips-closed near-smile.

Oh heck, I dunno, I'm out of it today. Suffice it to say I have nothing against smiles of any kind, but I do think the Maxwells ought to experiment with different facial expressions now and again. If it's apropos. If they're always full-on-bore-smile happy, let 'em smile that way!

Gummy, toothy, half, polite -- I like any smile that's sincere, genuine, pleasant, unforced.

I don't think it's odd to smile for a posed picture; almost everyone does. But they're always smiling even in the supposed candid shots as well. Scraping floors, drywalling, painting, pouring concrete, making bean burritos, cleaning house--they're ALWAYS smiling, especially the women. It's their default expression, except perhaps at bible time or when praying for others, mainly because it's hard to wail, self-flagellate and smile at the same time. But in all other circumstances, the happy countenance seems so forced.

BTW, I don't think the siding on Joseph's house is vinyl. There's a photo that shows a cross section of it and it looks like some kind of pre-primed composite.

I don't think it's odd to smile for a posed picture; almost everyone does. But they're always smiling even in the supposed candid shots as well. Scraping floors, drywalling, painting, pouring concrete, making bean burritos, cleaning house--they're ALWAYS smiling, especially the women. It's their default expression, except perhaps at bible time or when praying for others, mainly because it's hard to wail, self-flagellate and smile at the same time. But in all other circumstances, the happy countenance seems so forced.

BTW, I don't think the siding on Joseph's house is vinyl. There's a photo that shows a cross section of it and it looks like some kind of pre-primed composite.

Thank you sparkles, that's what I woulda said if I'd had my mind on straight.

What is Hardy-Board Siding? Maybe that's what they've put up. Makes me kinda ill that they seem to be leaving the vertical planks on the sides and back (I presume) of the house, but that's just my aesthetic. ;)

Guest Anonymous
anniec writes:

I'm taking your point, I really am, but OTOH I think there are times when a person doesn't necessarily have to give a smile their all-out effort. And honestly, wrt the Maxwells, I find it suspicious that every time the camera turns on them they are going to smile their biggest brightest bestest.

Srsly, Maxwells? Are you always just that joyous and happy? Maybe you are. I dunno. Sometimes - smoke me if this seems wrong - their great big shining grins just seem forced.

Here's a thought - poor little Abby, and I do mean that, because I'm not sure she's being raised any differently than her younger aunts were. She used to wrinkle up her nose in a big toothy grin, and suddenly she has that polite, lips-closed near-smile.

Oh heck, I dunno, I'm out of it today. Suffice it to say I have nothing against smiles of any kind, but I do think the Maxwells ought to experiment with different facial expressions now and again. If it's apropos. If they're always full-on-bore-smile happy, let 'em smile that way!

Gummy, toothy, half, polite -- I like any smile that's sincere, genuine, pleasant, unforced.

You said that you would like to see Anna doing a 'smaller smile' soon after saying that gummy smiles are not your favourite thing. In that context it sounded very off.

annie c rightly observes,

You said that you would like to see Anna doing a 'smaller smile' soon after saying that gummy smiles are not your favourite thing. In that context it sounded very off.

Verily, that. I did say that, and it does sound off. If you saw me this morning, you would find that to be unsurprising. Heh.

Srsly, I really would like to see what she looks like after someone delivers a corny joke, something that just doesn't merit a full-bore dazzling smile. Or as she's waking up from a nap. What I was trying to say, is what someone said above, forgive me for not remembeirng who exactly: It just doesn't seem natural that EVERY smile a person gives is their biggest, brightest smile. Look, I'm toting stuff out of Uriah, and I'm smiling like I've just been assured of eternal life in Heaven! Hey, I'm recovering from a twisted ankle on one of my many walks and I"m smiling like J of N Himself just high-fived me as He passed!

Am I making any sense? If not, ignore me. Srsly. I haven't carried on a conversation this long about anything in about a year, not sure what I'm saying. I just wanta say I'm not dissing anybody with a gummy smile. Or a zombie-mouth smile. Or a mona-lisa smile.

Now you have me thinking about having my teeth whitened. I tried to show my gums when I smiled into the mirror and realized I could use a whitening. OK, MJB out of this conversation. I'm getting out of hand. :shock: :roll: :D :lol:

I have a gummy smile. I do find that it looks better in pictures when I'm not all-out grinning/beaming.

Incidentally, while I was looking for pictures of Anna's gummy smile, I found this:

Steve, from 2006:

My heart is encouraged and discouraged at the same time during these trips. One of my greatest joys in all the world is encouraging dads who have a heart to follow Jesus. At the same time my heart is broken as I see dads who are cold and hard-hearted. It is obvious that the world has their heart and as a result their family is suffering.

Like...not letting your wife have soda, or your kids have a second helping of Mexican food? Physician, heal thyself!

My shock matches yours: I'm 99% sure it's a VB and those puppies is expensive!!!!

Unless, like me, she got lucky and found one in a resale shop for $5. The zipper's wonky but other than that, it's a VERA BRADLEY! (Another reason I'm kinda liking Anna. I don't give a fig about most labels, but from the first time I first saw a Vera Bradley, I was simply hooked. Some patterns grab me more than others -- I wouldn't buy Anna's bag in a resale, and the current VB line has way too many '60s motifs and paisleys for my taste -- but overall, those are beautiful pieces.)

I found a great leather coach for 5 bucks at a community garage sale....the year before I scored one for 30 just down the street. I love a bargain!

MJB, Hardy-Board is a concrete composite siding and it does come pre-primed and it also comes in a variety of colors if you choose not to paint it. I've resided my house (although I put on cedar), and it's just not a good idea to only partially reside (would you buy a house with mixed siding products? I wouldn't!). But I guess he knows what he's doing for his own house.

That most definitely is a VB purse! I have one in the same pattern!

Yeah, they painted it too. So it's not the prefabbed up beige I'm always ranting about, that is a good thing! I do think they've done an amazing job on the house.

As for smiling - I was raised that it's rude to show your teeth, we always covered our mouths when smiling or laughing (to the extent of showing teeth, that is - closed mouth smiles are fine). It's still a reflex for me, and I'm not going to ask anyone else to do it, but at the same time I have to say I'm kinda amazed at the mainstream US obsession with flashing huge white teeth all the time (and being worried if your teeth aren't perfectly straight and white, at the same time). The amount of teeth whitening products at the supermarket is just huge.

Them smiling in ALL their photos is weird just because yeah, it emphasizes just how much ALL of their photos are posed. They never have candid shots. That's the weird part. Most blogs have posed smiley pictures from time to time but also have pics of "us working on [whatever]" where not everyone is facing the camera and smiling in an obviously non-moving pose.

That most definitely is a VB purse! I have one in the same pattern!

I love VB as well, but I can't even afford them new at the Navy Exchange when they have a big 50% off the lowest price sale going on. :? So I get mine at resale stores, too. I try not to pay more than $5. Maybe $10 if it's in exceptionally good condition. Handbags, wallets...I've even found a cell phone case (I think that's what it is!), although I don't use it for that. I don't have any purses that match the accessories yet, but I don't care, it's all Vera, so it's all good! :lol:

It's a Vera Bradley: http://www.verabradley.com/product/Coll ... origin=pla

But I don't think $94 is all that much for a purse. If she spent $1500 that would surprise me.

Apparently it was a gift; that was made clear, I suppose, in case someone started asking questions. :lol: I just can't imagine Steve allowing her to pay that much for a purse. :naughty:

As for smiling - I was raised that it's rude to show your teeth, we always covered our mouths when smiling or laughing (to the extent of showing teeth, that is - closed mouth smiles are fine). It's still a reflex for me, and I'm not going to ask anyone else to do it, but at the same time I have to say I'm kinda amazed at the mainstream US obsession with flashing huge white teeth all the time (and being worried if your teeth aren't perfectly straight and white, at the same time). The amount of teeth whitening products at the supermarket is just huge.

I sometimes wish the US obsession for this would go away. :? I have a front tooth crown that used to look exactly like all the other teeth in my mouth, but as it's aged it's yellowed slightly, and I'm very self-conscious about it. No whitener on the market will do anything for it; the only thing that will help is a new crown. As I've had this one for over 35 years, I'm scared to death of getting a new one (not to mention the cost!). So while I don't mind smiling naturally around family and close friends who are used to me and probably don't even notice it, I almost never smile out in public or for pictures. :|

I sometimes wish the US obsession for this would go away. :? I have a front tooth crown that used to look exactly like all the other teeth in my mouth, but as it's aged it's yellowed slightly, and I'm very self-conscious about it. No whitener on the market will do anything for it; the only thing that will help is a new crown. As I've had this one for over 35 years, I'm scared to death of getting a new one (not to mention the cost!). So while I don't mind smiling naturally around family and close friends who are used to me and probably don't even notice it, I almost never smile out in public or for pictures. :|

Were we separated at birth or something? Same thing here.

I don't really have a problem with wanting straight(er) teeth--especially since crooked, gapped teeth often affect the bite-- it's the obsession with whiteness that I don't understand. As often happens, too many people just take it over the top so that it looks totally unnatural. If you're in a blackout and your teeth are white enough to light up a room, you know you've gone too far.

Archived