IGNORED

Maxwells are home!

OkToBeTakei

For those who know the community center, what sort of events take place there? Is is possible Sarah or Mary would see a flyer for a pottery class or a singles' dance and get a glimpse of what normal people do?

I know it's a long shot, but I keep hoping that on one of their forays in to public, they'll see something that makes them want to leave the compound.

No, I think that there is some kind of Stockholm Syndrome going on with those kids and Steve-O.

On a positive note, at least they didn't dress all matchy-matchy for the pictures this time!

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, I think that there is some kind of Stockholm Syndrome going on with those kids and Steve-O.

On a positive note, at least they didn't dress all matchy-matchy for the pictures this time!

I actually thought they finally got a good balance of colors and textures on the outfits they selected this time. No more frumpers, and some really pretty sweaters on the girls. NR-Anna isn't wearing her standard Peter Pan collar, either (and I think her hair is down, which is really pretty). I like the setting -- the fireplace and all the woodwork is really cool.

They're sheltered but they're not cloistered. I think they do know that their lives aren't the norm. But it's been drilled into their heads (Daddy tapes anyone?) that what we consider normal is actually evil and of the devil and that the Maxwell path is the only path of goodness and righteousness and salvation. I'm sure that every foray to the outside is accompanied by even more bible study and teaching moments, like when they hung out at the airport to critique the immodest dress of the fallen women. That no one seems to have strayed speaks to how broken they are. Steve did his job well.

Yeah - I think they know they're sheltered and they're proud of that fact. They go on the road to proselytize to other people how wonderful it is to shelter your kids, how pure they turned out as a result. If you read their "Hearts" book that message comes out clearly, and there are sections in there where the kids (even then in their 20's) write about how happy and thankful they are for it.

Honestly I think the Maxwells started the sheltering when the kids were little (even the oldest non-reversal kids were still in elementary school) and it possibly had SOME sort of actual purpose (though there is no way in hell I would ever take it even halfway as far as they did) but then just never figured out how to stop doing it. At some point the sheltering became a goal in itself, like, well, I've gone this far, why ruin it now? They've a weird "record" to maintain. Meanwhile yeah the kids have been told the outside world is unholy and dangerous for their "hearts" for so long they just plain wouldn't know what to do.

Sarah, in one post, responded to a comment about how Steve shelters them by saying "no, he's protecting me." I truly think the women feel that they'd be in grave danger without this "protection." That they're weak and incapable and would succumb to satan's temptation without a man to guide them. And no man will ever live up to the standard set by daddy.

Sarah, in one post, responded to a comment about how Steve shelters them by saying "no, he's protecting me." I truly think the women feel that they'd be in grave danger without this "protection." That they're weak and incapable and would succumb to satan's temptation without a man to guide them. And no man will ever live up to the standard set by daddy.

And that's just nothing but annoying. That she feels he's protecting her. Protecting her from the reality of the world. It's so abusive. They live in a bubble.

At first I thought someone wore color and then I realized all of them, even the children, were in blue and brown/beige.

At first I thought someone wore color and then I realized all of them, even the children, were in blue and brown/beige.

Where's Ms. Fine when you need her? Remember --

"She's the lady in red

Where everybody else is wearin' tan

That flashy girl from Flushing

-- The nanny named Fran!"

I don't know about that. They're sheltered but they're not cloistered. I think they do know that their lives aren't the norm. But it's been drilled into their heads (Daddy tapes anyone?) that what we consider normal is actually evil and of the devil and that the Maxwell path is the only path of goodness and righteousness and salvation. I'm sure that every foray to the outside is accompanied by even more bible study and teaching moments, like when they hung out at the airport to critique the immodest dress of the fallen women. That no one seems to have strayed speaks to how broken they are. Steve did his job well.

This

I think they not only know they're lives are not the norm, I think they're very, very proud of it.

I recall a Halloween Mom's Corner where Teri wrote how if the children (when they actually were children) were asked by, say, a cashier at Wal-Mart what they were going to be for Halloween, they would answer, "We don't celebrate Halloween."

I recall in a blog post on the family proselytizing at a local carnival, Nathan or Christopher wrote about witnessing to a "goth couple". How he knew that term I'm not sure. And of course he felt the need to label them as such and judge them for it.

These are just a couple of examples, but I think the "children" do know how unusual their lifestyle is, and I believe they have a very self-righteous attitude about it. It comes across loud and clear on their blog.

The way the community center is set up and how they would have entered the building they may have seen a notice board but it is more of an event space upstairs with an indoor track, raquetball and basketball courts downstairs. At least that is how it was when I lived there but that has been almost 20 years ago. I can post a link to it if that is ok.

Where's Ms. Fine when you need her? Remember --

"She's the lady in red

Where everybody else is wearin' tan

That flashy girl from Flushing

-- The nanny named Fran!"

Notice how we don't see the maxwell girls in red (lest the devil gain a foothold and they be tempted to defraud someone). Looking back through the pictures it seems like one of the boys likes the color a lot. I can't believe Steve allows red, orange and lime green. Those are bright colors that might draw someone's eye and lead them into temptation. :roll:

I loved the nanny. I used to watch the episodes late at night when I couldn't sleep.

This

I think they not only know they're lives are not the norm, I think they're very, very proud of it.

I recall a Halloween Mom's Corner where Teri wrote how if the children (when they actually were children) were asked by, say, a cashier at Wal-Mart what they were going to be for Halloween, they would answer, "We don't celebrate Halloween."

I recall in a blog post on the family proselytizing at a local carnival, Nathan or Christopher wrote about witnessing to a "goth couple". How he knew that term I'm not sure. And of course he felt the need to label them as such and judge them for it.

These are just a couple of examples, but I think the "children" do know how unusual their lifestyle is, and I believe they have a very self-righteous attitude about it. It comes across loud and clear on their blog.

I think it's importent to remember that the boys aren't totally sheltered, especially after twenty or so.

They deal with other people in business settings, even if it is other fundies such as in Christopher's photography business. Even most other fundies are nowhere near as extreme as the Maxwells, if Christopher held his clients to the exact standards of the Maxwells he would never photograph any wedding except his brothers. They would deal with other tradesmen and suppliers for their building enterprises, and I seem to recall that Christopher and Nathan did some IT contracting for mainstream companies. So they get to see the rest of the world and have some idea of what it's like. My guess would be that's Steve sees enough potential benefits to the boys in staying (cheap home, free labour to fix it, business setup and support from Steve and eventually a submissive bride, also procured by Steve) that they won't be tempted to go astray from their brainwashing. For Sarah, on the other hand, still at home at thirty with no home of her own, no business of her own and no groom in sight, it may take very little to tempt her away, so Steve needs to shelter her and her sisters much more.

The male Maxwells also used to hold services at a homeless shelter where they would talk with drug addicts and alcoholics. The female Maxwells would bake cookies for the shelter guests, but they did not attend the services.

As my father said often - the goal of the Christian is to be "in the world, but not of the world", meaning there should always be a difference between the actions of a 'real Christian' versus those worldly heathens. Methinks Mr Maxwell has taken this to heart a little over much.

I agree that the Maxwell men are probably less sheltered than the rest of the family. After all, they have to interact with 'normal' people for their business. I know that Steve advocate spending as much time with "like minded" people as possible even on the job, but almost no one can fit the exacting standard of the Maxwells. It's one reason the Maxwells "encourage" their adult children to live at home until marriage (and then move next door!). As long as there's a close connection with the Mothership, there is less chance to stray. I bet it's tempting for the Maxwell kids to leave their lifestyle, but as long as they come home to their parents and siblings, they are reminded of their upbringing.

I agree that the Maxwell men are probably less sheltered than the rest of the family. After all, they have to interact with 'normal' people for their business.

I don't know about the rest of the sons who are in business, although I would suspect it's the same, but according to Christopher's photography website, he has some very specific criteria when it comes to who he'll work for and first and foremost they must be Christians. So even in business, it seems that they consider "normal" folk--non-Christians--beneath them.

I don't know about the rest of the sons who are in business, although I would suspect it's the same, but according to Christopher's photography website, he has some very specific criteria when it comes to who he'll work for and first and foremost they must be Christians. So even in business, it seems that they consider "normal" folk--non-Christians--beneath them.

He controls the wedding criteria yes? Modesty etc, no rumpy pumpy before, good 'Christian' peeps like them before photographing.

Can he control who goes to the wedding? Never been to a wedding where there is not one absolute screaming over the top relative or friend. Always the best bit of a wedding. Even a dry wedding has the bottle of Scotch in the pocket hero normally :lol:

And that's just nothing but annoying. That she feels he's protecting her. Protecting her from the reality of the world. It's so abusive. They live in a bubble.

I think that it is disterbing that Sarah is happy that Steve sheltered her. She think it is their job to do so. However most "worldly" parents want their kids to part of the world. I am not sure if Steve ever said this. But I am sure he think that if parents have their kids part of the world they r bad parents.

Ugh, I was Googling about something else on the Maxwell's site when the search results brought me to this gem. It explains so much.

titus2.com/corners/dads-corner/protecting-against-deception/part-9.html

Ugh, I was Googling about something else on the Maxwell's site when the search results brought me to this gem. It explains so much.

The first time I read that I felt like throwing up. I only read a few paragraphs this time and the same feeling returned.

I wouldn't be surprised if Steve considered himself superior to Jesus Christ.

The first time I read that I felt like throwing up. I only read a few paragraphs this time and the same feeling returned.

Oh my G-d he is really distrubing!!! Like someone else just said I think that Steve Maxwell thinks of himself as some kind of G-d!!

There are occasional bike rides together with my boys. The purpose of the ride is not to have fun, but rather to spend time with them while getting some exercise.

What a sad beige existence.

Good Lord that corner was depressing and full of arguments based on semantics. Joy rather than fun? Sounds the same to me. I get joy from reading, oh and it's fun too. Someone needs to save the cult from Steve.

He talks about how he stopped having fun. It really bothers me that this happened. He does not really get into why he change, did it? I do wonder since I think that Nathan and Christopher got to do things outside of the family that if they asked why they had to stop. The truth of the matter is MOST kids would question why all of the sudden they had to stop doing something that they enjoyed and have it replaced w/ spending more time at home and reading the Bible. The other kids (Sarah on down) may not remember their family being any different but the older boys might.

Archived