IGNORED

Maxwells are home!

OkToBeTakei

He talks about how he stopped having fun. It really bothers me that this happened. He does not really get into why he change, did it? I do wonder since I think that Nathan and Christopher got to do things outside of the family that if they asked why they had to stop. The truth of the matter is MOST kids would question why all of the sudden they had to stop doing something that they enjoyed and have it replaced w/ spending more time at home and reading the Bible. The other kids (Sarah on down) may not remember their family being any different but the older boys might.

Sarah would remember. She was eight or nine when they started fully isolating. If I told my eight year old daughter that she wasn't to have any friends except her younger brothers she would certainly notice and pitch one hell of a fit. But I guess I didn't beat her enough in her infancy.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In the "Hearts" book (and in one of the corners also, possibly the one linked here but it's not coming up for me at the moment) Steve-O describes the moment when he went from sheltering to full on power sheltering. He had been removing certain activities he thought were encouraging unhealthy "appetites" and whatever else, but then he has this Moment Of Trvth where he decides that instead of banning various activities, he should Ban Everything!!! and then only permit certain items again if they were actively furthering the children's "goals." At that point, everything is work (service to Jeebus).

That's a pretty fundamental change, from "generally we permit unless it's harmful" to "we forbid all, default is forbid, then we let a few select things in."

He's off the rails.

Sarah would remember. She was eight or nine when they started fully isolating. If I told my eight year old daughter that she wasn't to have any friends except her younger brothers she would certainly notice and pitch one hell of a fit. But I guess I didn't beat her enough in her infancy.

Thanks for the explanation!! I guess I read it wrong. I thought that Sarah was younger then 8 or 9. Loved your

comment about your daughter. The fact is ANY child would pitch a fit if their parent told them that.

If I remember correctly, Steve wrote something about how he took them out to lunch or something to explain why he no longer thought baseball was the proper thing to do and "ask" them if they were okay with stopping. He also said he was crying as he told them. Now I'd say for most kids, seeing your parents cry is quite frightening and in the wrong hands (Steve's) can be used as a powerful weapon. I'd say in that scenario, the boys wouldn't have dared question why. "Here's dad, telling us why it's evil and bad and he's crying while he asks us if it's okay to stop. If we don't we'll be hurting dad. We don't want to hurt dad. Let's do what he says." Steve is a slick and masterful manipulator. And a good manipulator's victims never think to question.

Finally checked the joyless blog. Yep, those seem to be Prince Hall Masons, a traditionally African American sector of the Masonic order. It's a real honor to be considered for membership. I know a European American soldier who was asked if he would want to be considered, he was very moved. So its ironic that Steve, an Air Force vet himself, wd use that photo. Many really conservative Christians consider the lodge to be,if not idolatrous, at least wrong-headed since lodges pray to a generic god w/o mention of J Christ as the only savior.

Recall that it was reported that Teri talks about Steve crying and affirms that while he tells the boys they had a choice, "they really didn't."

Good call about Steve's waterworks intimidating & frightening the boys. Hadn't thought of that. A master stroke of evil genius.

If I remember correctly, Steve wrote something about how he took them out to lunch or something to explain why he no longer thought baseball was the proper thing to do and "ask" them if they were okay with stopping. He also said he was crying as he told them. Now I'd say for most kids, seeing your parents cry is quite frightening and in the wrong hands (Steve's) can be used as a powerful weapon. I'd say in that scenario, the boys wouldn't have dared question why. "Here's dad, telling us why it's evil and bad and he's crying while he asks us if it's okay to stop. If we don't we'll be hurting dad. We don't want to hurt dad. Let's do what he says." Steve is a slick and masterful manipulator. And a good manipulator's victims never think to question.

Sparkles, I think you nailed it.

Also, his descriptions of what brings his family joy in that corner show further mind control. He goes on and on about how his family loves to share the details of their days at dinner, increasing bonding and having a good time. BUT, there is really nothing to share, since they do everything together, and everything they do must be approved. It's a further exercise in groupthink.

Again, his insistance that his is the only family that would ever think to do this is infuriating. My family ate dinner together everynight for my entire life, and we had a good time sharing what we did, because we did things separately. AND we prayed before each meal.

I think she's old enough to save money and buy her own purse btw. I don't care if she bought it or if it was a gift. Still living rent free at your parents allow you for enough money to buy a 50$ purse.

This is from a few pages back, but I was just wondering how Anna could possibly save $50.00 when she has no job or business as her brothers do, and does not even have her name on the Moody books as Sarah does. I really can't see Steve cutting her a paycheque for the work she does at the conferences. If he actually paid the whole family for their participation that would cut the profits severely. From what I can see, Anna and Mary are both completely dependent on Steve and have no assets or income in their own names whatsoever.

Guest Anonymous

This is from a few pages back, but I was just wondering how Anna could possibly save $50.00 when she has no job or business as her brothers do, and does not even have her name on the Moody books as Sarah does. I really can't see Steve cutting her a paycheque for the work she does at the conferences. If he actually paid the whole family for their participation that would cut the profits severely. From what I can see, Anna and Mary are both completely dependent on Steve and have no assets or income in their own names whatsoever.

Steve has said in various places that all the adult children get paid for working for the family business. Anna does some office work, I believe, in addition to the conferences.

They actually all seem to have plenty of pocket money. They buy quite spendy gifts for each other for birthdays and Christmas and go to nice coffee shops and gift shops on occasion. Considering they all live in the compound, I doubt the younger women are considered to 'need' a huge salary, but they don't seem to go short of 'stuff'.

From the tone of the blog though, I would imagine Steve said the bag was a gift, partly to offset any dumb female questions that are beneath him, and partly to make it known that the frivolous bag was not something one of his offspring would choose for themselves.

They're all workin' on Maggies farm but without the weed.

"Don't wanna work on Steve-O's BLOOOOGGGGG no more...." :violin:

I think Stevie pay's his female children a small amount of "pin or pocket" money. He could give them a small amount for token items while keeping the major part of their "salary" under his "protection". :naughty:

I think Stevie pay's his female children a small amount of "pin or pocket" money. He could give them a small amount for token items while keeping the major part of their "salary" under his "protection". :naughty:

I think you r right!! Steve just seems that he needs to control everything that happens in his family. He probably pays the girls minimum wage when they probably do most of the housework.

Steve says he pays each child for their work. Since each child has been working in the family ministry since their teen years, I think they all have plenty of spending cash on hand by now. It's not hard to buy even $50 purses if you have your living expenses covered at home and have a steady salary. Steve's control not from the purse string, since he is dependent on his children to work for him, but from the isolation he fosters on the children. His kids don't know life beyond the Maxwell Compound and stick with him because that's all they know.

Steve mentions that for every item he takes away, he adds something else. I don't think he just stopped letting his kids' activities cold turkey. In fact, he's reiterated again and again that doing that is the best way to get a "rebellious child". When he stopped letting them participate in fun stuff like sleepovers and youth groups, he replaced it with chores for a widow and projects with parents.

I was appalled that the children would ever go along, but since the children were homeschooled, they had no reminders of what normal, fun stuff was. I think Steve even said that once the kids stopped going to the "fun" bible classes and did chores for the widow, after a few weeks, they stopped complaining. In the life of a young child, a few weeks must seem like a lifetime. They probably just started to forget the fun they had at bible class and accepted this was the new normal.

Eventually, the kids forget the fun they had at bible class or the joy of sharing a secret with a friend. It's all about hanging out with the parents and "fellowshipping" with the old folks. There needs to be no beatings or coercion involved. This type of brainwashing is particularly insidious because people don't see it as abuse. We like to think that parents would have to force their children to comply like this, but it's amazing how easily children fall under the sway of an adult, especially one that isolates them from all outside influences. The Maxwells are a good example of how a person ends up in a cult.

Hmmm, if Steve pays his kids is it at the minimum wage? Are they actually employees with withholding and taxes? I'm quite sure he expects them to tithe to the church of Steve.

Those family pictures are awful. Can you imagine the email that went out? Okay, we are all going to be wearing combinations of concentration-camp blue, faded brown, or boring beige. Women must all be wearing ugly floral skirts, no exceptions.

Those family pictures are awful. Can you imagine the email that went out? Okay, we are all going to be wearing combinations of concentration-camp blue, faded brown, or boring beige. Women must all be wearing ugly floral skirts, no exceptions.

And we're going to pose with an "exit" sign in the background.

I have to agree. But I am sure all the people who think they walk on water r going to say what wonderful pictures they r.

They're a hell of a lot better than the last family photo, the one that used to be the header of their blog. They're not a bad looking family but that photo not only made even the best of them look ugly to the point they were unrecognizable, but the heavy vignetting, up-the-nose shooting angle and overall ominous quality made it seem more appropriate for the cover of a horror novel. Beige blandness aside, at least these look warm and friendly-ish. And the youngest generation is adorable.

Christopher lost his photographer cred. He couldn't speak up and say that was a terrible choice for location? Sure, it's a nice fireplace, but they cover it and all anyone sees is the exit sign, part of a door, an old chair and white walls. Honestly, it's just...bad.

Melanie and non reversal Anna are the only ones without Maxwell machine smiles. They are actually smiling, like, for real. The rest of them just have their typical face plastered on for the camera.

Christopher lost his photographer cred. He couldn't speak up and say that was a terrible choice for location? Sure, it's a nice fireplace, but they cover it and all anyone sees is the exit sign, part of a door, an old chair and white walls. Honestly, it's just...bad.

From where Christopher is standing, you can tell he was the one running over to the tripod to set off the timer, too. Not that he had much photog cred in the first place... :roll:

I wouldn't be surprised if Steve considered himself superior to Jesus Christ.

If Jesus was up for election, there are plenty of Christians who would find enough fault to vote against Him. I have a feeling Steve Maxwell would be one of those Christians.

Titus2.com, run by Steve Maxwell, is a cult.

Guest Anonymous

Their bible verse is one of the smuggest of the smug:

17 But the mercy of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting upon them that fear him, and his righteousness unto children's children;

18 To such as keep his covenant, and to those that remember his commandments to do them.

God's mercy and righteousness is upon the Maxwell's! Yay for them! :roll:

I think I preferred the preview pic posted with no people in it. It looked like a pretty enough room. I wonder if they were all surprised by the timing of the snapshot since there's only a minimal amount of the creepy head tilt the ladies love to do.

And we're going to pose with an "exit" sign in the background.

The exit sign represents that we're all going to exit someday. (Soon, very soon.) If you are not worthy, that exit will be into a fiery pit. The clock in the background represents that there is time to repent, but not much time.

On a lighter note, I like the old photograph on the right.

Archived