IGNORED

Maxwells are home!

OkToBeTakei

It was at some Akin event.

I'm not sure about the Maxwells, but the Duggars won't even sing "Happy birthday to you, happy birthday to you, happy birthday dear J------, happy birthday to you!" -- they sing some Jesus birthday song instead. So I would think no song is safe from being Jesus-fied. We can't have people going 10 seconds without being brainwashed.

If you sing the traditional "Happy Birthday" song on TV, you have to pay royalties. TLC probably didn't want to pony up. I've noticed on "Toddlers and Tiaras" the kids never sing or dance to any well-known songs as part of their pageant routines; they use canned music that nobody has ever heard before. It wouldn't surprise me if the Duggars weren't allowed to sing "Happy Birthday" and so they found a substitite song, perhaps something from the Gothard catalog.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shoot, most Christians don't know that the song "Jesus Loves the Little Children" used to be an old (Southern! :shock: ) civil war song called "Tramp Tramp Tramp."

OK--now I feel magnificently stupid. [sings in head] "Tramp, tramp, tramp, the boys are marching"--"Jesus loves the little children"--So freaking obvious!

That said, look in any traditional, mainstream hymnal--well-known tunes have been reused with new lyrics, for the purpose of hymn-writing, for centuries.

With all those kids, the Muncks are always having birthdays. I like how they make such a big deal of them, though. I can only imagine how much they spend on all those party decs and paper plates and supplies. But the parties always look festive and well-planned and fun. Yep, Elizabeth dodged a bullet on that one.

While the Muncks are crazy fundies in their way, they at least do what I believe should be done regarding their blessings. If your children are blessings, they should be treated as such. Celebrating birthdays in such a big way makes the blessing very special and important; they're told in no uncertain terms that they are valued and the day of their birth is something to not only be acknowledged, but celebrated and celebrated big. For that day, they are number one in their big family and everything revolves around them.

Unlike the Maxwells, and truth be told, a lot of other fundies.

While the Muncks are crazy fundies in their way, they at least do what I believe should be done regarding their blessings. If your children are blessings, they should be treated as such. Celebrating birthdays in such a big way makes the blessing very special and important; they're told in no uncertain terms that they are valued and the day of their birth is something to not only be acknowledged, but celebrated and celebrated big. For that day, they are number one in their big family and everything revolves around them.

Unlike the Maxwells, and truth be told, a lot of other fundies.

This is very true about the Munuck Family, I also agree that Elizabeth really dodge a bullet by not marrying Joseph. I still think that Anna Marie's family got in connect w/ them & said something.

Just an FYI, you don't pay royalties on "Happy Birthday". It is in the public domain.

"Happy Birthday to You" is protected by copyright:

http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/birthday.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birt ... ght_status

The song won't pass into the public domain in the U.S. until 2030.

Sing "Happy Birthday" and it'll cost you.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=5413561&page=1

The Bates like many of the other families discussed here seem loath to let go of any of their children even as they move on into their 20"s. Well they offer very cheap labor.

The Maxwells have been awfully quiet recently. They haven't posted on their blog since last Tuesday, which is a relatively long time considering Sarah usually posts practically every day about every mundane thing they do.

The Maxwells have been awfully quiet recently. They haven't posted on their blog since last Tuesday, which is a relatively long time considering Sarah usually posts practically every day about every mundane thing they do.

I thought that was odd, too. Hopefully there hasn't been some kind of tragedy (I wouldn't wish that on anyone) and that they are just busy cooking up some burrito filling and doing a mass rush of frumper-sewing for the holidays.

"Happy Birthday to You" is protected by copyright:

http://www.snopes.com/music/songs/birthday.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Happy_Birt ... ght_status

The song won't pass into the public domain in the U.S. until 2030.

Sing "Happy Birthday" and it'll cost you.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=5413561&page=1

Isn't this why chain restaurants, like Applebee's, each have their own version of a birthday song that the employees sing to patrons?

Steve reads here, so cue a new post in 5...4...3...

There will be a post tomorrow morning. Sarah is already in bed because lights out is super early on the compound so you can be up in time for exercise and Bible time.

Agree!!!! U said what I been wanting to say for a while!

Steve will always be able to scrub the blog of unfortunate events like his son's failed courtship. He cannot scrub the blog of his stale dated daughter Sarah.

Agree!!!! U said what I been wanting to say for a while!

Which is, I suspect, why he is showcasing Anna. If none of his daughters marry it will show that his system has failed. If Anna and Mary marry though, it can be spun as Sarah's choice to be an eternal SAHD, and the show can go on. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a courtship for Anna in the next year, and for Mary by the time she is twenty. Poor Sarah is almost over the hill in fundie land, and if Steve finds a man who meets his insane requirements I don't see him squandering him on Sarah and her depleted supply of eggs and lack of remaining child bearing years.

Prompted by this thread, I just went over the the Munck website for the first time in November. I have to slap myself when I start considering taking them in as my pet fundies! Their birthday parties (and twice monthly girls day, the post about how much the parents just love each other, the extra party for their son with Downs etc) just make me like them so much.

But I slapped myself. Back to reality.

Prompted by this thread, I just went over the the Munck website for the first time in November. I have to slap myself when I start considering taking them in as my pet fundies! Their birthday parties (and twice monthly girls day, the post about how much the parents just love each other, the extra party for their son with Downs etc) just make me like them so much.

But I slapped myself. Back to reality.

There is no such thing as a pet fundy. They all will doom you to hell, refuse your right to contraception, private medical procedures, a guilt free sex life and much worse should you not be heterosexual.

Which is, I suspect, why he is showcasing Anna. If none of his daughters marry it will show that his system has failed. If Anna and Mary marry though, it can be spun as Sarah's choice to be an eternal SAHD, and the show can go on. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a courtship for Anna in the next year, and for Mary by the time she is twenty. Poor Sarah is almost over the hill in fundie land, and if Steve finds a man who meets his insane requirements I don't see him squandering him on Sarah and her depleted supply of eggs and lack of remaining child bearing years.

This breaks my heart. For someone raised in the lifestyle, so much of their self-esteem is tied to their fecundity. Without a husband, how will Sarah cope ? I'm depressed on her behalf. I'm hoping for at least a step-mother role to an existing family.

This breaks my heart. For someone raised in the lifestyle, so much of their self-esteem is tied to their fecundity. Without a husband, how will Sarah cope ? I'm depressed on her behalf. I'm hoping for at least a step-mother role to an existing family.

I had always secretly hoped Sproul would have picked her up after his wife's death. But I think Sproul is a bit too liberal for old Steve.

I had always secretly hoped Sproul would have picked her up after his wife's death. But I think Sproul is a bit too liberal for old Steve.

Yep, she'd be a perfect choice for Sproul (and that story really makes me sad). He seems like an almost decent fundie and left with a lot of kids and had to watch his wife die -- ugh, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Sarah would be perfectly giving to him, but Stevie wouldn't allow it, I'm sure. I agree -- too liberal.

There is no such thing as a pet fundy. They all will doom you to hell, refuse your right to contraception, private medical procedures, a guilt free sex life and much worse should you not be heterosexual.

Oh god, I know this! I'm a single mom (whore) whose last long-term relationship was with a woman. I wouldn't likely be welcome in their quiver.

The biggest failure of Steve's ministry is not finding godly men for his daughters.

Wasn't there a poster here who knew the Maxwells and who said that Sarah (with encouragement from Steve) had turned down opportunities to court? The prospective suitors were not godly enough, IIRC. Finding a man who shares their views on sports will be impossible. The Maxwells might find someone who is against watching sports on TV or going to professional sporting events, but can you imagine the reaction when Steve tells a would-be suitor that he won't even be allowed to toss around a football in the backyard with his sons?

Yep, she'd be a perfect choice for Sproul (and that story really makes me sad). He seems like an almost decent fundie and left with a lot of kids and had to watch his wife die -- ugh, I wouldn't wish that on anyone. Sarah would be perfectly giving to him, but Stevie wouldn't allow it, I'm sure. I agree -- too liberal.

I don't see how Sproul is more decent than the average fundie male, he is obsessive about denying women access to abortion and sends his daughter out weekly to harass women seeking medical care as they try to enter clinics that provide abortions.

Archived