IGNORED

Maxwells are home!

OkToBeTakei

Which is, I suspect, why he is showcasing Anna. If none of his daughters marry it will show that his system has failed. If Anna and Mary marry though, it can be spun as Sarah's choice to be an eternal SAHD, and the show can go on. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a courtship for Anna in the next year, and for Mary by the time she is twenty. Poor Sarah is almost over the hill in fundie land, and if Steve finds a man who meets his insane requirements I don't see him squandering him on Sarah and her depleted supply of eggs and lack of remaining child bearing years.

This^. I think Steve is trying to take the attention off Sarah. He knows we discuss his failure to find her husband - Hi Steve *waves*.

• Replies 582
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as I'm concerned, Sarah's single status is a continuous reminder to everyone what happens when you follow the Maxwells' weird lifestyle. I don't think Sarah will ever get married. She's past her "fundie prime". Her only option would be a widower but they'd still have to pass the rigorous Maxwell standards. What are the chances that will happen? Anna and Mary still have a chance at marriage but if Steve continues to set the standards, I don't see future husbands for them either. I'm skeptical that Steve will loosen up to allow his younger daughters to marry some sports loving, church going, possibly college exposed fundie. He'll be caught between a rock and a hard place as pressure mounts to get his daughters married off even while he struggles to find anyone that is up to snuff.

I was wondering if Christopher could photograph Sarah's wedding if she married a widower and he wrote "First wedding for bride and/or groom"

Since the grammar in this family is atrocious I think he means that it must be the first wedding for both. I can't imagine him being okay with a wedding including a divorcee (or worse yet a multiple divorcee) on one side of the couple.

Also, noticed that he requires a valid marriage license for the wedding. At least then he's not going to photograph any weddings for the spawn of Micheal and Debbie Pearl.

I feel sorry for Sarah. Shes grown up being taught that the only godly female role in life is to be a wife and mother and has been prepared for that role, but shes never going to get that because her dad is so creepy he sends potential husbands running.

This breaks my heart. For someone raised in the lifestyle, so much of their self-esteem is tied to their fecundity. Without a husband, how will Sarah cope ? I'm depressed on her behalf. I'm hoping for at least a step-mother role to an existing family.

My heart would break if she did have kids. No child should have to be brought up in that kind of lifestyle just to appease some sahd. Kids are not toys. They are people.

Guest Anonymous

My heart would break if she did have kids. No child should have to be brought up in that kind of lifestyle just to appease some sahd. Kids are not toys. They are people.

I feel sad for the Maxwell "children" but I don't wish for them to breed either.

I think the turning point will come when Steve dies or becomes infirm, now. Maybe Mary will be young enough to escape.

Very sad all round. :(

Isn't this why chain restaurants, like Applebee's, each have their own version of a birthday song that the employees sing to patrons?

That's it, precisely!

Vis-a-vis a Maxwellette marriage to Sproul, Jr. There are three reasons this will never happen. (Yes, I'm being so bold as to say it aloud, It'll never happen.)

1. Sproul, Jr., was in a godly marriage, but he reportedy has had a problem with alcohol.

Steve metes out the number of frickin' animal crackers his family can have, he's sure not going to allow someone into the family who enjoys the fruit of the vine, even if the person has solved the problem and is completely sober and abstinent of the juices.

2. Sproul, Jr., and his late wife adopted a child.

Steve's allegiance to Gothard is unclear, but there are some points of intersection (the Duggars use MOTH, etc., and the Maxwells have visited TTH).

I believe with all my mind that Steve is against the idea of adoption unless it's between family members.

3. Sproul, Jr., has dad issues of his own, poor chap. The video someone made of him holding forth, after having imbibed too much, make it pretty clear that it hasn't been the easiest thing to grow up in the shadow of a renowned theologian/evangelist, and sharing the same name, yet.

Sproul, Jr., himself, I imagine, would just as soon not be saddled with a father-in-law who's just as much larger than life - or in Steve's case, who apparently thinks he is.

Which is, I suspect, why he is showcasing Anna. If none of his daughters marry it will show that his system has failed. If Anna and Mary marry though, it can be spun as Sarah's choice to be an eternal SAHD, and the show can go on. I would be very surprised if there wasn't a courtship for Anna in the next year, and for Mary by the time she is twenty. Poor Sarah is almost over the hill in fundie land, and if Steve finds a man who meets his insane requirements I don't see him squandering him on Sarah and her depleted supply of eggs and lack of remaining child bearing years.

The bolding is mine. It will not be spun as Sarah's choice to remain single, it will be the Lord's blessing that she has been given the gift of singleness. Nothing they do is by choice, it is always what God wants. Well, actually Steve, but it's the same thing to him. I think that Anna and Mary might get married because it won't look good for Steve if none of the girls fills a quiver. Especially with the prior failed courtships of their brothers. But Anna and Mary will face the same problems that Sarah has had in finding a husband. No one can measure up to Steve's requirements. Finding wives is an easier task because they must obey their headships and Steve still has control over his adult sons. But those daughters will have to follow their headships and unless their beliefs line right up with Steve's he will say no. Plus, the girls would leave if they got married and then who would do all the work?

I often wonder if part of the reason Sarah and Anna have not courted is due to a fear of leaving the family. They have been so sheltered that leaving and living with another family must be terrifying. I think NRAnna must have had a difficult adjustment in moving across the country when she married Christopher. Even if she had married into a normal family it would be tough to be so far from her family. The sheltering does not allow sleepovers, friends, school, or anything else that is normal, so marriage is the first time they will be away from parents and siblings. I know I would have had a hard time with that.

Edited to add: Where ARE the Maxwells? They have not posted since last Tuesday. I think they are still at home; perhaps they are just busy getting ready for the next trip or for Thanksgiving, but I would think they could at least post that all is well, they are just busy. It kind of starts my day off badly if I can't read the latest Maxwell blog entry. I need my Maxwell fix!

The bolding is mine. It will not be spun as Sarah's choice to remain single, it will be the Lord's blessing that she has been given the gift of singleness. Nothing they do is by choice, it is always what God wants. Well, actually Steve, but it's the same thing to him. I think that Anna and Mary might get married because it won't look good for Steve if none of the girls fills a quiver. Especially with the prior failed courtships of their brothers. But Anna and Mary will face the same problems that Sarah has had in finding a husband. No one can measure up to Steve's requirements. Finding wives is an easier task because they must obey their headships and Steve still has control over his adult sons. But those daughters will have to follow their headships and unless their beliefs line right up with Steve's he will say no. Plus, the girls would leave if they got married and then who would do all the work?

I often wonder if part of the reason Sarah and Anna have not courted is due to a fear of leaving the family. They have been so sheltered that leaving and living with another family must be terrifying. I think NRAnna must have had a difficult adjustment in moving across the country when she married Christopher. Even if she had married into a normal family it would be tough to be so far from her family. The sheltering does not allow sleepovers, friends, school, or anything else that is normal, so marriage is the first time they will be away from parents and siblings. I know I would have had a hard time with that.

Not only that but she has to go from not having a single sexual thought to a raving nymphomaniac in 24 hours. I can imagine that is a terrifying prospect for a girl such as Sarah Maxwell. Leave her family whom are her entire life, to be part of another family, with views, opinions and routines which will differ from hers, possibly many hundreds of miles away from what she knows, and she'll be expected to satisfy her husband sexually when her entire adult life has been about repressing her libido.

Good point, Sola. And since these girls have such limited experience they have no way to know the sexual demands of a husband are "normal" or not. I would think that regular missionary position sex, especially if done for reasons other than procreation, could be viewed as perverted. Since a woman is to please her husband, these poor girls may have no clue that they can say no to something they don't like-or can explain what they do like.

As far as I'm concerned, Sarah's single status is a continuous reminder to everyone what happens when you follow the Maxwells' weird lifestyle. I don't think Sarah will ever get married. She's past her "fundie prime". Her only option would be a widower but they'd still have to pass the rigorous Maxwell standards. What are the chances that will happen? Anna and Mary still have a chance at marriage but if Steve continues to set the standards, I don't see future husbands for them either. I'm skeptical that Steve will loosen up to allow his younger daughters to marry some sports loving, church going, possibly college exposed fundie. He'll be caught between a rock and a hard place as pressure mounts to get his daughters married off even while he struggles to find anyone that is up to snuff.

I just had an image in my mind of Steve reading the obits in a tri state area trying to find a fundy widower for Sarah. Ah the good times. :dance:

I was wondering if Christopher could photograph Sarah's wedding if she married a widower and he wrote "First wedding for bride and/or groom"

Since the grammar in this family is atrocious I think he means that it must be the first wedding for both. I can't imagine him being okay with a wedding including a divorcee (or worse yet a multiple divorcee) on one side of the couple.

You know, that has crossed my mind whether Christopher meant first weddings period, or he was just trying to ban divorcees. I have to imagine the Maxwells are morally ok with marrying a second time if the first spouse passed. I think Christopher was just saying no to divorcees. Besides, Sarah's only shoot is probably a widower at this point. She's too old for most fundie men, and many that *are* her age will prefer a younger wife anyway. I'd actually be weary of any guy that's willing to worship at the alter of Steve and passes Steve's approval. What kind of issues do you have to have in order to readily accept membership into this bizarre personality cult?

If Steve finds a husband for one of his daughters he will undoubtably find him a place in the Titus 2 "ministry" and a home on the same street as the compound. So while the wife will be under her husbands headship her husband will be dependent on Steve in every way and will tow the party line.

If Steve ever does find a groom that is acceptable to him I can see him marrying Anna and Mary to two brothers whose father he knows and has some respect for, to make it easier for him to retain control.

There was a comment under the family exit sign pictures. It asked if Mary was on track to graduate early. Stevie basically said he didn't have a clue..... I mean really, she's 16 and probably a Junior in HS. He should have a "clue" at what schoolwork she has yet to complete.

I kind of glean that her schoolwork isn't important and she fits it in when she can between chores and "traveling"..... :naughty:

Guest Anonymous
There was a comment under the family exit sign pictures. It asked if Mary was on track to graduate early. Stevie basically said he didn't have a clue..... I mean really, she's 16 and probably a Junior in HS. He should have a "clue" at what schoolwork she has yet to complete.

I kind of glean that her schoolwork isn't important and she fits it in when she can between chores and "traveling"..... :naughty:

I think the schooling through the summer was just busywork.

Graduation will be reached via a daft final essay about "why I gave my heart to my daddy", the rest doesn't matter to Steve.

The kids' schoolwork consists of doing textbook readings and exercises. Once she finishes a certain, set amount, she's "graduated". Plus, as you said, Mary probably fits it in between her more important work of chores and the ministry. That's why Steve can't tell. Besides, I get the impression the Maxwells don't stress school work for the girls. After all, they're going to be homemakers and their homeschooling skills consists mostly of picking out proper textbooks for the kids to self-teach.

I think the schooling through the summer was just busywork.

Graduation will be reached via a daft final essay about "why I gave my heart to my daddy", the rest doesn't matter to Steve.

How can they say that's graduating? Surely there is some official standard that must be met?

Guest Anonymous

How can they say that's graduating? Surely there is some official standard that must be met?

They do a fair amount of textbook work but no exams. Gotta have a focus for all that dilligence.

But we know the boys' graduation task is to write the bible in their own words. And I suspect Anna's "why girls don't need college" essay was the female equivalent requirement.

eta Kansas homeschools require a one time registration and there are no formal checks or requirements, only "guidelines". http://www.kansashomeschool.org/content/view/27/78/

Seriously? Eegads.

I'd have never graduated! Both the Old and New Testaments? That is beyond weird.

You know, that has crossed my mind whether Christopher meant first weddings period, or he was just trying to ban divorcees. I have to imagine the Maxwells are morally ok with marrying a second time if the first spouse passed. I think Christopher was just saying no to divorcees. Besides, Sarah's only shoot is probably a widower at this point. She's too old for most fundie men, and many that *are* her age will prefer a younger wife anyway. I'd actually be weary of any guy that's willing to worship at the alter of Steve and passes Steve's approval. What kind of issues do you have to have in order to readily accept membership into this bizarre personality cult?

Well, there was that guy who married the Wissman who as a bit long in the tooth. IIRC, he was 39...close enough to be considered the 40 year-old virgin. Didn't Chrissiepoo shoot their wedding, complete with groomsmen strewn across railroad tracks?

At any rate, there must be a few of these guys left, somewhere. But chances are more slim with every passing year. Sarah most likely gets a widower or Steve gets it over with and proclaims her the real bride of Christ.

Well, there was that guy who married the Wissman who as a bit long in the tooth. IIRC, he was 39...close enough to be considered the 40 year-old virgin. Didn't Chrissiepoo shoot their wedding, complete with groomsmen strewn across railroad tracks?

At any rate, there must be a few of these guys left, somewhere. But chances are more slim with every passing year. Sarah most likely gets a widower or Steve gets it over with and proclaims her the real bride of Christ.

Who was the groom who was divorced, he had a teenaged daughter, and he was a physician?

Silly, schoolin' the children is wimmen's work! :roll:

But---but it says right there on his blog that he's a "homeschooling father of 8"! Might he not be telling us the absolute truth about who, exactly, is doing the homeschooling?

Archived