IGNORED

What's for dinner?

Koala

• Replies 987
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here you go: http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2011/01/ ... bean-stew/

I have been very pleased with most things we've tried from Smitten Kitchen. There are a few modifications we made: Our batch is soupier than the one in the picture, because we had some extra tomato to use up. We added more garlic than is called for (3x, maybe?). I have made this a few times and haven't yet bothered blanching the chard, because that would take an extra pot-- we just add it five minutes earlier than she calls for and let it cook down in the stew. And we added the chard stems, chopped like celery, along with the carrot, rather than pitching them-- they have plenty of good flavor, and given enough time, they soften up nicely. We'll have the leftovers as polenta topping some time later in the week.

(edited for riffle)

I also second the recommendation for smittenkitchen. I have gotten some wonderful meals off that site.

Pork roast that has been going since 1030 am, with potatoes, carrots and onions all together in the crock pot.

Corn bread.

Homemade potato and spinach gnocchi and marinara. We also had fresh baked cinnamon raisin bagels this morning and I made pumpkin peanut butter cookies for the puppy. I was feeling very Betty Crocker-ish today.

Homemade potato and spinach gnocchi and marinara. We also had fresh baked cinnamon raisin bagels this morning and I made pumpkin peanut butter cookies for the puppy. I was feeling very Betty Crocker-ish today.

So what sort of groveling is involved to ask for the potato and spinach gnocchi recipe? :pray:

Grilled Shrimp Tacos with Rubios Sauce, Black Beans, and Yellow Rice. This was a last minute decision, because it was so nice out today and we wanted to grill something. Unfortunately, this means we aren't eating until at least 8:15 (the beans are simmering, the shrimp is marinating, and the sauce is chilling in the fridge)!

I have some eggplants and I'm bored with eggplant parm. What else can you do with them? I also harvested like a pound of basil today, no idea what to do with it.

Eggplants? Make baba ganoush, roast them with garlic and drizzle some yogurt and mint over them, cook them in sesame oil and add some soy sauce and garlic, make ratatouille, stuff them with peppers and cook them in the oven.

Basil? Well, I use it in pesto which I eat with zucchini and salmon, and I add it to my fried rice, and I toss it in scrambled eggs, and I chop it with mint and make couscous, and I throw it in salads, and I add it to red pasta sauce as well. Oooh, and I have a recipe for cauliflower rice that includes basil, I'll see if I can find it.

So what sort of groveling is involved to ask for the potato and spinach gnocchi recipe? :pray:

Can you adopt me, please? I promise to be saved from whatever sins brought on by my heathen parents.

Pasta with bolognese sauce (ground sirloin, garlic, oregano, basil, crushed tomatoes and a touch of leftover red wine), with parmesan. No cream of anything. Yesterday: spanakopitas for pot-luck, oatmeal cookies that didn't last very long.

I made (crustless) vegan quiche, with fresh spinach, a big bunch of chives someone gave to me, and jalapenos (I hope those were jalapenos). I had that with brown rice I had leftovers.

A sausage roll (I don't know if you have sausage roll in the US? It is a sausage in pastry) and tomato soup with parmesan cheese.

I'm classy :)

A sausage roll (I don't know if you have sausage roll in the US? It is a sausage in pastry) and tomato soup with parmesan cheese.

I'm classy :)

I've always called those kolaches. But we also have a sweet version with cream cheese or fruit that goes by the same name.

Guest Anonymous

I am out tonight. I'm trying to decide whether to go to that awful (very chic, hipster) Lebanese restaurant where everything tastes like peanut butter, or to go straight home and go to sleep on an empty stomach. I'm leaning towards plan B.

Pork roast that has been going since 1030 am, with potatoes, carrots and onions all together in the crock pot.

Corn bread.

.....again......and probably tomorrow too.

And I'm sure I'll be burping it up until at least Thursday :roll: it's yummy but heavy and greasy.

I have some eggplants and I'm bored with eggplant parm. What else can you do with them? I also harvested like a pound of basil today, no idea what to do with it.

Guilty pleasure (totally southern) dish:

Chop into bite size pieces, soak in buttermilk, roll in corn meal, fry

so good :oops: :lol:

Tonight, (provided it's not too hot to cook in my apartment), I'm having pork chops cooked in white wine with rosemary, thyme and some chopped shallots. Once the chops are done, I will make a reduction sauce from the wine with some butter and a little lemon juice to go over some boiled potatoes. I'll also have brussel sprouts sauted in butter.

If you can't tell, I'm from the "a little butter never hurt" school of cooking. :) Thankfully, I got the genetics to let me get away with it.

Complete comfort food: chicken and rice casserole with broccoli. I did make it with home made chicken stock and my own white sauce, no cream of crap soup.

Archived