IGNORED

Weenese 3: Brother Gary Hawkins Wanting God All Over Him

FundieFarmer

3 minutes ago, Texas Heifer said:

THIS!

I have been plus-sized since 1995 (and was never not at least overweight past puberty, except for five minutes when I lost 27 pounds the summer after I graduated high school). Until I discovered Lane Bryant, I had hardly any clothes. I know how to shop online now, and there's a good selection, but I never buy anything used. Even after WLS 6 years ago, and losing 150 pounds, I still have never bought anything used except for some jeans on Ebay.

But @Georgiana, there are thrift shops all over the place where I live (I'm in the PNW too--not in, but near Portland), and knowing that plus-sized clothes are hard to find in such places has convicted me to take my pre-WLS clothes there, so thanks!

Yay!!!!  It's a real problem because, as you are probably already aware, obesity and poverty have a major intersection!  There are added costs to being larger, and one of them is the additional cost of clothing (I too LOVE Lane Bryant, but the PRICES!  I can hardly afford to shop there except during sales, and I have a good job HAYMEN!).  So there's a larger market generally for plus size clothes at thrift stores, but it's coupled with an incredible lack of supply.  Where does this leave people?  Often shoved into worn out or ill-fitting clothes.  This is a problem because dressing well and feeling positive about how you look is tied to things like upward career mobility, greater success at managing weight/size, and lots of other good things, but sadly feeling negative about how you look is tied to the reverse.  

Basically, good clothes that fit at an accessible price point is a REALLY important thing. It helps people move their lives in a positive direction!  I know people love the action of throwing away their "fat" clothes, but by donating, you can use the positive changes in YOUR life to help others jump start the positive changes in theirs!  

(Assuming weight loss is a positive for you, of course!)

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Texas Heifer said:

I'm planning on getting a laptop soon (have had only Kindle Fires for the past couple years), and y'all are making me want to play Sims. I have been interested for a long time, but never really been into gaming, other than MySpace and Facebook games for a time (and pre-Candy Crush), and I don't think that counts. Definitely never paid for any of it.

Perhaps soon that will change! Though I am soft-hearted, so I doubt I'll ever let them suffer.

I'm no gamer at all, in most senses. My daughter is, she loves games of all types. But I have zero interest in most of them. I like some casual games, usually the least adversarial of them (it's no coincidence that as a child I loved the Smurfs but used to think how much better it would have been without Gargamel ruining everything). The Sims franchise is a game that could appeal to almost anyone who likes any type of game, because you can do with it whatever you want.

If you want to play Sims, get a laptop with discrete graphics.

1 minute ago, Georgiana said:

Yay!!!!  It's a real problem because, as you are probably already aware, obesity and poverty have a major intersection!  There are added costs to being larger, and one of them is the additional cost of clothing (I too LOVE Lane Bryant, but the PRICES!  I can hardly afford to shop there except during sales, and I have a good job HAYMEN!).  So there's a larger market generally for plus size clothes at thrift stores, but it's coupled with an incredible lack of supply.  Where does this leave people?  Often shoved into worn out or ill-fitting clothes.  This is a problem because dressing well and feeling positive about how you look is tied to things like upward career mobility, greater success at managing weight/size, and lots of other good things, but sadly feeling negative about how you look is tied to the reverse.  

Basically, good clothes that fit at an accessible price point is a REALLY important thing. It helps people move their lives in a positive direction!  I know people love the action of throwing away their "fat" clothes, but by donating, you can use the positive changes in YOUR life to help others jump start the positive changes in theirs!  

(Assuming weight loss is a positive for you, of course!)

Oh, totally! I gained back 65 pounds after my gastric bypass in 2012 (:tw_bawling:) and lost half of that last year doing keto. But I am disabled and broke as a joke. Husband and I live with his parents while we build our tiny house; we couldn't survive otherwise. It's still shockingly expensive and is taking forever.

I don't shop at LB anymore...I can't afford it. My go-tos are Woman Within on Amazon, and several other shops there have really cute tops, but they're made in China, so the biggest US sizes are usually my size. Though, I have enormous boobage, so I could probably wear a 16-18 instead of a 20 if my chest were smaller.

Anyway! I definitely know what it's like to be poor and fat. I lived many years in ill-fitting clothes, and wore them until they were falling apart. I'd be happy to help another woman in that situation.

Side note: literally had to have a therapist tell me that clothing myself is self-care and societally expected, since at the time I felt unworthy of basically everything, even buying clothes for myself. Dark days.

Oh, and yes, weight loss is definitely a positive for me. I once weighed 350 pounds. I am under 240 now. If I hadn't gotten WLS, I likely wouldn't be alive right now, for various reasons including heart attack or suicide. I am very glad our society is putting fat shaming out of favor, because it's a real problem. And I am white, so I can't imagine what obese POC deal with. It has to be soul-crushing.

You know, I think Bro Hawkins would really like Philly.  They have real man food eating with cheesesteaks AND they like to make sure Santa knows he is COMPLETELY unwelcome.

(for those of you who are not sports fans, Philly has a history of throwing things at Santa: https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/mgyywp/rest-in-peace-to-the-santa-claus-booed-by-eagles-fans)

3 minutes ago, Georgiana said:

You know, I think Bro Hawkins would really like Philly.  They have real man food eating with cheesesteaks

Bro weenie would probably put one in a jetro bowl and pour milk over it

sis May-who loves cheesesteak a little too much...

22 minutes ago, MayMay1123 said:

Oh God, no...just...no...

Bahahahaha

I promise it's good! And wrapped in bacon!

Lol oh, just read you like cheesesteak too much. I...I can give you the recipe, if you're not skeered. It's super easy.

1 hour ago, Texas Heifer said:

Bahahahaha

I promise it's good! And wrapped in bacon!

Lol oh, just read you like cheesesteak too much. I...I can give you the recipe, if you're not skeered. It's super easy.

Just say no! You can call it a steak and cheese meatloaf, but a Philly cheesesteak meatloaf...:5624796058123_Aseaoftearscrying: if you ever come up north you can visit my coffee shop and we'll order a real steak sandwich! 

Sissy May-who needs to turn off the internet for the night

4 hours ago, MayMay1123 said:

Just say no! You can call it a steak and cheese meatloaf, but a Philly cheesesteak meatloaf...:5624796058123_Aseaoftearscrying: if you ever come up north you can visit my coffee shop and we'll order a real steak sandwich! 

Sissy May-who needs to turn off the internet for the night

Hahaha, touché!

It's a recipe I found online that is keto-friendly...I'm positive it is not authentic. That's what they called it.

I shall henceforth call it steak and cheese meatloaf in your honor! :my_heart:

Sis Heifer, who has never been close to Philly, but called a friend in Buffalo one time

8 hours ago, Texas Heifer said:

I'm planning on getting a laptop soon (have had only Kindle Fires for the past couple years), and y'all are making me want to play Sims. I have been interested for a long time, but never really been into gaming, other than MySpace and Facebook games for a time (and pre-Candy Crush), and I don't think that counts. Definitely never paid for any of it.

Perhaps soon that will change! Though I am soft-hearted, so I doubt I'll ever let them suffer.

Until you get Sims 4, you can always just do what I do and use FreePlay on your phone.  My laptop is too crappy for Sims 4.  And frankly, the genetics were so much more interesting on Sims 2... I was kinda disappointed that they cut that from Sims 3.  I loved looking back at Acheronia City's family trees and seeing how Captain Picard inherited his blue eyes from his long-dead Grandpa Spock.  I never named them after fundies, though...

16 hours ago, acheronbeach said:

Until you get Sims 4, you can always just do what I do and use FreePlay on your phone.  My laptop is too crappy for Sims 4.  And frankly, the genetics were so much more interesting on Sims 2... I was kinda disappointed that they cut that from Sims 3.  I loved looking back at Acheronia City's family trees and seeing how Captain Picard inherited his blue eyes from his long-dead Grandpa Spock.  I never named them after fundies, though...

It's been 17 years since I was able to combine my genes with someone else and create a real live person and see how that worked out (and it actually worked out really well, as she manages to look so much like both of us even though we look NOTHING like each other, while being better looking than either of us) and I even got to give that person a name. You just can't do that very many times IRL (even a Duggar has a limit) but in the Sims you can do it all day every day, if you want. (I didn't even get to give my cat the name I wanted because my dumb kid overruled me. She didn't get to name her what she wanted either. We compromised, and her name is Freya, the goddess of war, which is quite fitting for the little monster.)

Ok folks, Bro Gary's friend list is a goldmine of crazy. When I'm bored I'll pick a name and scroll through their posts. This evening's selection (who likes to capitalize All The Words) posted this gem:

5a5ea20de3747_2018-01-1618_56_26.png.a952496531b2ee6f50dba1939352d34f.png

Dude, the word Christain don't mean nuthin', 'cause it ain't a word.

23 minutes ago, General Jinjur said:

Ok folks, Bro Gary's friend list is a goldmine of crazy. When I'm bored I'll pick a name and scroll through their posts. This evening's selection (who likes to capitalize All The Words) posted this gem:

And if you really want to be Christ-like, shouldn't you be murdered at age 33, still a virgin? (No offense to any Christians here, just going by this bullshit.)

On 1/15/2018 at 6:31 PM, Georgiana said:

You know, I think Bro Hawkins would really like Philly.  They have real man food eating with cheesesteaks AND they like to make sure Santa knows he is COMPLETELY unwelcome.

(for those of you who are not sports fans, Philly has a history of throwing things at Santa: https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/mgyywp/rest-in-peace-to-the-santa-claus-booed-by-eagles-fans)

Sis Georgiana, You just caused a binge of It's Always Sunny to commence!

Good Preachin'! 

OK Folks,

I just realised that I am now the World's Most Inept Missionary. Hmm.... there are quite a few contenders for that title it seems!!

Sis mango_fandango

Christian - to be a follower of Christ striving to be Christlike. (Important distinction I think, because nobody can ever be Christlike since we’re sinful hot messes but we try)

Christain - to be a stain on the name of Christ, a neurotic Fundie who drives others nuts

47 minutes ago, FundieFarmer said:

Christian - to be a follower of Christ striving to be Christlike. (Important distinction I think, because nobody can ever be Christlike since we’re sinful hot messes but we try)

Christain - to be a stain on the name of Christ, a neurotic Fundie who drives others nuts

OMG I'm totally calling all of our fundies Christains from now on!

16 hours ago, General Jinjur said:

This evening's selection (who likes to capitalize All The Words) posted this gem:

Um, does that mean that someone who is living A Hidden Sodomite Life Style can be A Born Again Christain? Is it just the openness they object to? :rolleyes:

18 hours ago, Coy Koi said:

And if you really want to be Christ-like, shouldn't you be murdered at age 33, still a virgin? (No offense to any Christians here, just going by this bullshit.)

Well, guess I’m screwed. :laughing-rollingred:

(For the record, I am a Christian, just not an idiot.) 

Gary is at the Shady Acres Baptist Church.  There used to be a riding stable near me called Shady Acres, but we referred to it as Achy Shadows.

Seems appropriate here, too.

Ever since I watched his live HAY-MENGOODPREACHIN live fest, I've been trying to put my finger on who Bro Gary reminded me of. 

And tonight, it finally hit me:

• Coconut Flan locked and unlocked this topic
  • Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived