IGNORED

Maxwell 8: Not Riveting Our Attention

FundieFarmer

I realize that men who are trusted are typically beardless

I don't trust that Jesus, what with his full beard. If only he were clean shaven like that Pilate.  Now THERE'S a man we can TRUST!

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

Probably. As a person born in the 1950s - my husband has had to do a whole lot of confidence building over the years.  He is a very good guy.

It has always broken my heart that my mother who kicked ass as a nurse during the Blitz as a staff nurse at a London hospital dwindled into thinking my father hung the moon in the 1950s.  All the women then were told to hang back, minimize their huge contributions and "build the mens' confidence back up" in the 1950s.

My father (not a war hero and not a nice person at all) kicked the bucket in 1990.  After a few months of complete confusion after being at his beck and call since 1947, my mother came back into her own and enjoyed 23 years of being an independent widow.

It was really lovely to see her enjoy herself after so many years of servitude.

So true! Like you, I was born in the '50s. My mom told me that, immediately post-WWII, the wives of veterans used to get actual propaganda pamphlets from the government on how to keep their husbands' morales up. In the post-war period, many of the wives, girlfriends, and fiancées had jobs, but it was hard for the returning vets to find work. Mom had a good office job at a major insurance company, but Dad had to start out doing day labor as a longshoreman. (They lived in Staten Island, a borough of New York City.)  It was hard to find apartments, too, so my mom's father, an architect, converted part of his house into a garden apartment for the newlyweds. (To this day, Staten Island is full of these "illegal" apartments.)

Fortunately for Mom and us kids, though, my dad was a good guy.

1 hour ago, socalrules said:

Repeatedly referencing Teri loving kissing his smooth face sounds like a teenage boy bragging to his friends about getting to second base. It just doesn't sound like something regular adults would repeatedly say in a blog or out loud. 

Definitely not modest.

On 4/22/2017 at 7:08 PM, albanuadh_1 said:

I think they are all in a one block radius!

Christopher is in their old house just down the block. Nathan's back yard butts up against their back yard, so he is essentially just in the damn back yard. Gigi is next door. Joseph & Elissa, the rebels, are about a mile away.

I've often said that no one has married since Joseph because there aren't any houses available that are close enough. And John became a real estate agent to get first dibs on any house close enough for Steve to allow him to find a wife and move a block away like a big boy.

I always wonder how their neighbors felt about having all of them so close together.  I have to imagine having Steve Maxwell as neighbor is not that great! 

Chris knew he would NOT be able to afford any other house...but his old house. Bet they still have the same furniture and everything. I just can't figure out how his family is making it. His wife has simply frumpy tastes, but even that costs money. Fabric to sew clothes costs money. Food to feed a growing family costs money. Oh and last I checked, mid wives costs money as well. Scratching my head at the moment.

39 minutes ago, Jana814 said:

I always wonder how their neighbors felt about having all of them so close together.  I have to imagine having Steve Maxwell as neighbor is not that great! 

They probably feel as if they are surrounded by the Stepford famlies

3 minutes ago, onekidanddone said:

They probably feel as if they are surrounded by the Stepford famlies

At least they're quiet and keep things well maintained.  When I moved in, my neighbor almost killed me with a ninja star, the cops were in front of the house every week, and he would throw empty beer cans and cigarette butts into my yard.  I got quotes for a spite fence, but luckily, the landlord sold the house before I had to shell out.    

Now my neighborhood has a chapter of super-Orthodox Messianic Jews.  I don't agree with their religion, but good gravy do I love having them in my neighborhood.  They're quiet, family oriented, neat, and dedicated to making our neighborhood safe and beautiful.  A+ neighborinos right there.  

1 hour ago, Hane said:

So true! Like you, I was born in the '50s. My mom told me that, immediately post-WWII, the wives of veterans used to get actual propaganda pamphlets from the government on how to keep their husbands' morales up. In the post-war period, many of the wives, girlfriends, and fiancées had jobs, but it was hard for the returning vets to find work. Mom had a good office job at a major insurance company, but Dad had to start out doing day labor as a longshoreman. (They lived in Staten Island, a borough of New York City.)  It was hard to find apartments, too, so my mom's father, an architect, converted part of his house into a garden apartment for the newlyweds. (To this day, Staten Island is full of these "illegal" apartments.)

Fortunately for Mom and us kids, though, my dad was a good guy.

Am I alone in thinking that all this "wimminz are responsible for making the menz happy and fulfilled" propaganda was so that post-war governments could divest themselves of responsibility to care for veterans with PTSD?

9 minutes ago, nastyhobbitses said:

Am I alone in thinking that all this "wimminz are responsible for making the menz happy and fulfilled" propaganda was so that post-war governments could divest themselves of responsibility to care for veterans with PTSD?

Entirely possible. "Shell shock" was widely discussed during and after WWI--not so much with WWII. The propaganda might also have been a diversionary tactic to take the focus off the crappy job market immediately following the war.

1 hour ago, Jana814 said:

Well the neighbors do get to hear them caroling every Christmas and we all know how, ahem, nice their singing is.

Teri and daughters invite the ladies of the neighborhood over for a brunch once a year, so I guess that's nice.  Although you gotta think some proselytizing goes on at these brunches, so maybe they're not so nice.

1 hour ago, fundiefan said:

Christopher is in their old house just down the block. Nathan's back yard butts up against their back yard, so he is essentially just in the damn back yard. Gigi is next door. Joseph & Elissa, the rebels, are about a mile away.

I've often said that no one has married since Joseph because there aren't any houses available that are close enough. And John became a real estate agent to get first dibs on any house close enough for Steve to allow him to find a wife and move a block away like a big boy.

I thought Nathan lived opposite, because there was a post a while ago that featured a photo of Teri crossing the road with a basket of toys for the girls. But details.  

8 hours ago, LogansMama said:

This is true, but I believe Nathan, Chris, Steve and maybe some of the J's "volunteer" at a homeless shelter.  I say "volunteer" because I believe it's just preaching at the poor souls.  Of course the womenfolk are not allowed to go, lest they be exposed to any ungodly influences.

Do you think they share how, with the Lord's blessing, they've all been able to purchase their homes debt-free?  I'm sure the homeless would love to hear about it.

6 hours ago, Georgiana said:

I don't trust that Jesus, what with his full beard. If only he were clean shaven like that Pilate.  Now THERE'S a man we can TRUST!

I was thinking of people like General Grant.  I can't think of many military leaders from the Civil War era that didn't have beards except for General Ambrose Burnside.  His facial hair -sideburns swooping down to a mustache, but with the chin clean-shaven was legendary and yep. was the origin of the term "sideburns".  He was not much of a general though. Civil War historian  Bruce Catton thought Burnside should never have gotten higher than a colonel.

I like your thinking of Jesus better though, @Georgiana.

11 hours ago, socalrules said:

Repeatedly referencing Teri loving kissing his smooth face sounds like a teenage boy bragging to his friends about getting to second base. It just doesn't sound like something regular adults would repeatedly say in a blog or out loud. 

I think he really meant "kissing his ass."  Which  hopefully is hairless (that irritating stubble!)

Sorry about that last line, I just couldn't help it.

He can't just decide to shave his face on his own like a big boy. He has to tell us all about how it's his imaginary friend who told him to do it.

15 minutes ago, Foudeb said:

He can't just decide to shave his face on his own like a big boy. He has to tell us all about how it's his imaginary friend who told him to do it.

And even if you believe the Holy Spirit exists, why would she/he (it?) give a hoot whether a person has a beard or not?

Seriously, these people say they believe with God nothing is impossible, but then turn around and dumb her/him down to this silly figure who cares what you wear, whether you kiss (or more) your SO before marriage, whether you are homeschooled, whether you live at home until marriage, and on and on.

Please.

20 minutes ago, kpmom said:

And even if you believe the Holy Spirit exists, why would she/he (it?) give a hoot whether a person has a beard or not?

Seriously, these people say they believe with God nothing is impossible, but then turn around and dumb her/him down to this silly figure who cares what you wear, whether you kiss (or more) your SO before marriage, whether you are homeschooled, whether you live at home until marriage, and on and on.

Please.

I can't imagine the size of the ego Steve must have. The creator of the world just happens to agree with all of Steve's likes and dislikes. The type of Tupperware the Maxwells store their leftovers in is probably the type that the holy spirit prefers. They are just extra Godly that way! 

I have my fingers crossed that one of the Maxwell girls/women will meet their headship-to-be at the clan gathering, I mean Big Sandy.  If Stevehova wants to stay on the lecture circuit, hes going to need more material since most of the kids are old enough to be managers of their own home (purchased debt-free of course). 

4 hours ago, Foudeb said:

We know he gets help with his toothbrush.

I find it pretty creepy that he shaved the beard because he wanted to appear trustworthy.  Who is he trying to convince?

5 hours ago, mydoggoskeeper said:

I have my fingers crossed that one of the Maxwell girls/women will meet their headship-to-be at the clan gathering, I mean Big Sandy.  If Stevehova wants to stay on the lecture circuit, hes going to need more material since most of the kids are old enough to be managers of their own home (purchased debt-free of course). 

Mary is the only likely candidate unless Anna finds herself a John-David Duggar type who is still single and still going to homeschooling conferences with his parents and younger siblings. And Sarah would be older than a lot of the dads. If there is a single fundie man pushing forty at that conference, he's probably trolling for young girls who can birth a lot of babies and are less set in their ways. He won't want a woman his own age.

44 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

If there is a single fundie man pushing forty at that conference, he's probably trolling for young girls who can birth a lot of babies and are less set in their ways. He won't want a woman his own age.

Unless, maybe, he's a widower with 15 kids (whose wife keeled over from exhaustion) and he's looking for staff.

That webinar video is soooo cringy. He even implies that any lack of understanding is the students fault and not the instructor for not explaining stuff properly. I'm sure he gets that great attitude from his father (HI STEVE!) And it seems like they use that rambling video as an ad for people to actually purchase the course. The Maxhells are beyond clueless!

3 hours ago, nomoxian said:

That webinar video is soooo cringy. He even implies that any lack of understanding is the students fault and not the instructor for not explaining stuff properly. I'm sure he gets that great attitude from his father (HI STEVE!) And it seems like they use that rambling video as an ad for people to actually purchase the course. The Maxhells are beyond clueless!

I thought, as I watched those videos, about how ruined for the real world Stevehovah's sons are. Can you imagine someone in sales making a presentation to customer team in that style?  They would last about one day where I worked. For all Steve's bragging about making great conversationalists, his kidults' speech is incredibly stilted. What a waste. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived