IGNORED

Maxwell 8: Not Riveting Our Attention

FundieFarmer

1 hour ago, Milly-Molly-Mandy said:

Oh my god guys! I'm going to Kansas city soon for my husbands work conference (don't ask!). 

Oh I hope I run into them! My finest hour 

You should turn up to their Sunday service with The Elderly. Of course you'll be drunk, wearing hot pants and will start blaring Nine Inch Nails' Closer at full volume.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

You should turn up to their Sunday service with The Elderly. Of course you'll be drunk, wearing hot pants and will start blaring Nine Inch Nails' Closer at full volume.

Better yet, do the routine from Flashdance, but with Pepsi. Sticky and gross, but so worth it.

I just read Steve's post from April 25th, To Bell or Not To Bell (would his kids understand the play on Shakespeare's words?).

Steve had been having some weakness in one of his arms while he did his kettlebell routine.

Rather than going to the doctor, he prayed and Teri did some internet research and they came up with a stretching routine that seems to helping.

I don't like to run to the doctor for every little thing, but I'd be concerned about weakness in an arm in a man Steve's age.  Couldn't that be a sign of stroke?

The Maxwell's seem to be one of the few fundie families that do go to doctors when needed, so I'm kind of surprised Steve seemed to let it go.

New post y'all. Sarah has five brothers in case you forgot. Steve helped them all gain a valuable skill set in DIY skills (sorry if I'm making no sense, trying to paraphrase). The guys are now able to include their kids in DIY prjects. Nathan and "Buddy", as he seems to be called now, worked on something recently (some kind of window thing, doesn't say). Even though Buddy isn't really much of a help right now, give him ten years and he'll be quite a handy little man! (Sarah's phrasing). 

The sexism is strong. Hope Nathan's teaching his daughters similar skills- the whole family helped in building the house, and we've had regular posts about how Mary can torque tires etc. 

ETA: oh yeah. Buddy credits Aunt Anna for teaching him to get dressed. It's implied that Anna has been helping out there since before Melanie gave birth to Benjamin. 

@kpmom,  weakness on one side of the body is a symptom of stroke and certainly should have been checked out by a MD/OD.  Usually there are more symptoms that that, though.  My speech was slurred, I felt drunk, walked crooked and couldn't open the cat food cans easily.   Thankfully, my cat Snorpi's diabetes was in remission and he didn't need an insulin injection.   I don't know that I could have managed that.

I take a 325mg aspirin every day to prevent another stroke along with my blood pressure meds and a statin.

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

New post y'all. Sarah has five brothers in case you forgot. Steve helped them all gain a valuable skill set in DIY skills (sorry if I'm making no sense, trying to paraphrase). The guys are now able to include their kids in DIY prjects. Nathan and "Buddy", as he seems to be called now, worked on something recently (some kind of window thing, doesn't say). Even though Buddy isn't really much of a help right now, give him ten years and he'll be quite a handy little man! (Sarah's phrasing). 

The sexism is strong. Hope Nathan's teaching his daughters similar skills- the whole family helped in building the house, and we've had regular posts about how Mary can torque tires etc. 

ETA: oh yeah. Buddy credits Aunt Anna for teaching him to get dressed. It's implied that Anna has been helping out there since before Melanie gave birth to Benjamin. 

The Maxwells are sexist-- I'm not saying they aren't. But in terms of working around the house and doing chores, the gendered division of labor is less pronounced than what we see in most fundie households. The males of the species actually know how to fix their own breakfast while the females (Anna and Mary more so than Sarah) have been known to "help the boys" with their work. This is a lot different from what we see in Duggar land, where they did one boys-and-girls-switch-chores episode early on in their series but for the most part the girls do all of the housework and child care while the boys (and Michelle) don't do much of anything.

5 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

New post y'all. Sarah has five brothers in case you forgot. S teve helped them all gain a valuable skill set in DIY skills (sorry if I'm making no sense, trying to paraphrase). The guys are now able to include their kids in DIY prjects. Nathan and "Buddy", as he seems to be called now, worked on something recently (some kind of window thing, doesn't say). Even though Buddy isn't really much of a help right now, give him ten years and he'll be quite a handy little man! (Sarah's phrasing). 

Obviously Goofy Anna didnt do a good job at teaching Drew to dress.  Yes I know he isnt even three but but the Maxwells tend to overstate their skills and accomplishments.

2 hours ago, PennySycamore said:

@kpmom,  weakness on one side of the body is a symptom of stroke and certainly should have been checked out by a MD/OD.  Usually there are more symptoms that that, though.  My speech was slurred, I felt drunk, walked crooked and couldn't open the cat food cans easily.   Thankfully, my cat Snorpi's diabetes was in remission and he didn't need an insulin injection.   I don't know that I could have managed that.

I take a 325mg aspirin every day to prevent another stroke along with my blood pressure meds and a statin.

Hope you are doing better @PennySycamore!  And very glad you didn't count on only prayer and internet research for your symptoms.

My dad passed away of a stroke when I was a kid so I got a little worried when I read about Steve's weakness in his arm, but you are right about there usually being other symptoms.

LOL pic 1. Looks like Nate has confiscated Mel's toy or is it his own?

13 hours ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

The Maxwells are sexist-- I'm not saying they aren't. But in terms of working around the house and doing chores, the gendered division of labor is less pronounced than what we see in most fundie households. The males of the species actually know how to fix their own breakfast while the females (Anna and Mary more so than Sarah) have been known to "help the boys" with their work. This is a lot different from what we see in Duggar land, where they did one boys-and-girls-switch-chores episode early on in their series but for the most part the girls do all of the housework and child care while the boys (and Michelle) don't do much of anything.

Actually yeah fair enough. I just read that it was Nathan and Drew and thought "oh well of course it's the son that's involved". They do encourage their girls to learn this kind of thing, but they also seem to do all DIY stuff as a family eg moving sheds, doing up Joseph's house etc. Why would they hire an outside contractor when they can just use all their siblings, particularly the unmarried ones? 

Nathan has 3 girls that are older (ie more able to help) than Drew. Would have made sense to involve them too. It's not the Worst Bit of Sexism Ever (tm) - that would be keeping your adult daughters at home to serve you while the sons are allowed jobs, hmmm Steve? - but it's still sexism.

Unless he's just keeping the little one out of trouble so that Melanie can focus her homefoolin' on the three eldest, but that's not how it's being presented.

In Sarah's latest post, she advertises that you can buy Steve's book Preparing Sons to Provide. I clicked on the link to learn more about it.

PREPARING SONS TO PROVIDE FOR A SINGLE-INCOME FAMILY

by Steve Maxwell

In today's world of two-income families, preparing a son to provide for a single-income family seems an overwhelming task. Christian parents will find it helpful to have a purpose and plan as they raise sons who will one day be responsible for supporting a family. How does one raise boys with a good work ethic?

Steve Maxwell presents the groundwork for preparing your son to be a wage-earning adult. Beginning with age three and working up, Steve shares specific ways a parent can start equipping a son with the character and skills needed to eventually be a successful wage earner. You will be challenged to evaluate your own life and the example you are setting for your son.

As the father of eight children, all of them now wage-earning adults, Steve has gained valuable experience he openly shares with other parents. Learn these principles from a dad whose three oldest sons purchased homes debt free. Steve explains how it is possible for parents, with a willing commitment, to properly prepare their sons to provide for a single-income family.

This book has been helpful for parents of daughters as well. Don't wait until your sons are graduating from high school to prepare them. Start now!

WAIT JUST A GOSH DANG MINUTE HERE. Father of eight children...all of them now wage-earning adults....!? What "wage-earning" activity do the girls do? Sarah's got her books, I guess, which might make a few bucks, but what do the other two do? 

(Also sidenote, fuck this nonsense that "wage-earning" and "providing" by ~*being your own boss*~ is more godly than getting a stable dependable job or a career with opportunities.)

They get gift vouchers from their brothers' for babysitting. Well, from that one brother who can afford the gift vouchers anyway. That's, like, totally similar to having a regular paycheck from someone you're not related to.

The girls earn wages because Daddy pays them for whatever crap they do for the ministry, but its' probably crap wages and they likely don't have access to most of it. 

Sarah has the books, but we've speculated time and time again about whether she gets her earnings directly or whether they go to Steve's bank account and he doles it out as he sees fit. 

2 hours ago, bertnee said:

WAIT JUST A GOSH DANG MINUTE HERE. Father of eight children...all of them now wage-earning adults....!? What "wage-earning" activity do the girls do? Sarah's got her books, I guess, which might make a few bucks, but what do the other two do? 

(Also sidenote, fuck this nonsense that "wage-earning" and "providing" by ~*being your own boss*~ is more godly than getting a stable dependable job or a career with opportunities.)

Gimme a fucking break, Maxwells. "Wage earning"? That's a misleading statement. There is no way Sarah could live solely off of the Moody books, let alone save for retirement and pay her medical expenses. And Anna and Mary are even less financially independent.

I'm three years younger than Sarah. Let's have a head to head on who can most successfully exist independently of their parents. (And it's not like being an independent 32 year old is all that impressive, I mean, how low are these people's standards for success? Even if their claim were true, I don't get bragging that all of your adult children have jobs, like, ya know, adults.)

Way back when I first found the Maxwell website, before I had ever heard of Quiverfull or any of this fundie insanity, I was baffled by the title of their Preparing Sons To Provide For a Single-Income Family book. Itseemed terribly pessimistic to me to assume their sons would all wind up divorced.

I was so young and innocent then.

I am trying to figure out how you raise your sons to provide for their families on a single income without them having any education other than what seems to be a substandard SOTDRT education, going to a trade school, entering the military or not having a non-daddy as their boss. I don't understand making sure your kids have had NO opportunities for growth but expecting them to be able to earn a living for a middle class lifestyle. Actively limiting your child's potential does not tend to lead to the makings of a successful adult. 

On 4/28/2017 at 11:35 AM, WonderingInWA said:

Still, John is hot playing the banjo.

Mr. Frugal is a banjo player. As I tell all my lady friends, "You don't want the drummer or the singer or the bass player. You want the guy picking a 5 string banjo. Look at those finger fly. Stay away from guys who play clawhammer style though. That's no good."

If I had to pick a fundie it would be the banjo player :D

On 4/26/2017 at 2:24 PM, Palimpsest said:

Seriously.  I've told Mr. P that my obituary may only say: "she shuffled off this mortal coil but her ashes will be pushing up the daisies."

I think it appropriate because it sort of combines English Lit., cremation (so much tidier), and gardening. :dance:

English Lit, by way of Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch!

11 hours ago, Foudeb said:

Nathan has 3 girls that are older (ie more able to help) than Drew. Would have made sense to involve them too. It's not the Worst Bit of Sexism Ever (tm) - that would be keeping your adult daughters at home to serve you while the sons are allowed jobs, hmmm Steve? - but it's still sexism.

Unless he's just keeping the little one out of trouble so that Melanie can focus her homefoolin' on the three eldest, but that's not how it's being presented.

The whole blog post was a commercial for Steve's "Preparing Sons" book. I've read this book, and it tells parents that boys need to start helping Dad with projects around the house when they are still toddlers. So that's what we're seeing on the blog.

3 hours ago, socalrules said:

I am trying to figure out how you raise your sons to provide for their families on a single income without them having any education other than what seems to be a substandard SOTDRT education, going to a trade school, entering the military or not having a non-daddy as their boss. I don't understand making sure your kids have had NO opportunities for growth but expecting them to be able to earn a living for a middle class lifestyle. Actively limiting your child's potential does not tend to lead to the makings of a successful adult. 

From what I understand from other people posting here, there's certain building work you can do in KS without a license, and other things you can get licensed for just by sitting an exam (i.e. real estate, but also some trade work that doesn't require trade school) and apparently that's what the Maxwell boys have done.

Handily, there is usually decent money to be made from real estate or construction    - or decent enough if you are earning money from age 18 onwards, you live with your parents rent free, and all you need is $70k to buy a home outright.

So basically, the system depends on living in one of the states with low regulations (which I'm guessing are also the states with lower property prices).

Sure, they are restricting the children's emotional development and education, but not their wealth. I mean look at their spending habits: mostly new cars, a modern kitchen, regular travel across the US. They don't appear to shop at thrift stores like other fundies, either.

They are as middle class as it comes - another reason, I think, why they have had difficulties marrying off their daughters. They expect the same wealth from future sons-in-law, but ignore the fact that they got to the point where they are due to Steve's previous high-paying career giving a basis to start from and probably enabling him to retire young without a mortgage. This is an advantage that other fundies don't have.

@PennySycamore, I hope you made a good recovery from your stroke.  Frightening.

Actually Steve's sons are probably better prepared for earning an income than many Fundie boys.  He has let them get real training and credentials although only in limited fields.

I have joked that I would hire Joseph and John to do house renovations if they didn't try to convert me.  Their work looks quite good on the Maxwell houses.  The Maxwell Construction business was shut down a couple of years ago, however.  Perhaps the Jesus speak on the website put people off.

17 hours ago, Black Aliss said:

English Lit, by way of Monty Python's Dead Parrot sketch!

ALWAYS going to upvote a Python reference and/or video. 

Question is: did the parrot know where it was going before it died?

@nausicaa: This is totally off topic, but I've always wondered who that is in your avatar picture. The picture reminds me of the maid on Newhart. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived