IGNORED

Maxwell 8: Not Riveting Our Attention

FundieFarmer

1 hour ago, Dandruff said:

Hmm...if there was a dull moment, that may imply there were moments around the dull moment that were not dull.  But if it's dull in its entirety there could be no identifiably dull moments.  Is that what she's trying to say?

Poor Sarah wouldn't know an exciting moment if it bit her on the ass.  I am so sorry for those girls.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big question is: How does one pronounce Gothardiah?

At first I thought of the obvious: gah-third-EYE-uh. 

But then there is always go-THARD-ee-uh. Much more feminine, no?? 

7 minutes ago, usmcmom said:

The big question is: How does one pronounce Gothardiah?

At first I thought of the obvious: gah-third-EYE-uh. 

But then there is always go-THARD-ee-uh. Much more feminine, no?? 

I was thinking gah-third-EYE-uh when I wrote it, but the other pronounciation works, too. I just hope and pray that no one uses it for an actual human baby (although if someone out there wants to use it for one of the snails in their fish tank, you have my blessing).

@FloraDoraDolly,  but snails in a fish tank do have a valuable function, don't they?  I don't think the same could ever have been said about Bill Gothard.  How about a slug in the garden?

38 minutes ago, FloraDoraDolly said:

I was thinking gah-third-EYE-uh when I wrote it, but the other pronounciation works, too. I just hope and pray that no one uses it for an actual human baby (although if someone out there wants to use it for one of the snails in their fish tank, you have my blessing).

Or, got-hard-uh-yay!

8 hours ago, Dandruff said:

I'll agree that she breathes.

I'm not even sure about that any more.

I'm calling it: the Maxwell women never actually existed and were robots all along. All posts are created by computer.  

Steve's comment about Teri preferring his shaved face is because the stubble gets stuck in the joints. He forced her to give up Pepsi because she was starting to corrode. The lettuce pizza cutter trick is actually an extra arm Sarah uses, Inspector Gadget style. 

Pimping her dull-as-ditchwater book series again? Real life adventure? If she thinks that such hilarious things as a toddler grabbing her father's arm with a beany hand and slipping into a river whilst on a hike is exciting and an adventure, she has no fucking clue. 

I know the kid probably has beans from a very bland burrito on her hand, but reading that, I imagined a small kid getting a Beany Baby and making it grab on to her dad to get his attention. Would have been much cuter, but I'm guessing Beany Babies are either Satanic or a waste of time in Maxhell.

20 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

I'm not even sure about that any more.

I'm calling it: the Maxwell women never actually existed and were robots all along. All posts are created by computer.  

Steve's comment about Teri preferring his shaved face is because the stubble gets stuck in the joints. He forced her to give up Pepsi because she was starting to corrode. The lettuce pizza cutter trick is actually an extra arm Sarah uses, Inspector Gadget style. 

First time I've had a chuckle while thinking about the Maxwells in ... ever!

Hey - I have a feeling that Sarah is at home while Steve and Teri are at the conference - her replies are in a different format than usual. Might be an opportunity to ask her questions directly.

7 hours ago, Mommit said:

I still can't believe she's in her 30's. That is extremely sad.

I just watched the video promoting the Moody series.  All I could think, was this can not be a 35 year old woman.  

I don't know what the Maxwells did, but it's like it froze their daughters somewhere in their early teens.  It's so sad.  Sarah should be out living life, maybe even having a family of her own. 

How do Steve and Terry cope with the guilt?  Are they content to see their daughters living like children, even though they are adults?  

1 hour ago, Koala said:

I just watched the video promoting the Moody series.  All I could think, was this can not be a 35 year old woman.  

I don't know what the Maxwells did, but it's like it froze their daughters somewhere in their early teens.  It's so sad.  Sarah should be out living life, maybe even having a family of her own. 

How do Steve and Terry cope with the guilt?  Are they content to see their daughters living like children, even though they are adults?  

I don't think any "fundie from birth" fundies are adults, not in the way we understand it, and they're deliberately raised not to be. 

Developmentally, all the Maxwell offspring are children, even the married ones. The married boys might be working, owning houses and raising children but these are just facades - they still remain emotionally dependent to Steve, who still has authority over them. Marriage doesn't change anything and wouldn't for Sarah, unless by some miracle Steve allows her to marry someone who doesn't treat her as a "meek" child.

They've been raised to believe self-actualisation = sin. It's not so much that their upbringing denies them realising their own goals and making their own life decisions, but rather that those things are not even important.

For example marriage - we shake our heads at courtship and wonder how they can possibly know whether they are compatible with someone who is a complete stranger. Whereas for them, so long as the other person ticks enough boxes (suitably attractive, right upbringing, can buy a house if male) they will automatically be compatible, because the goal of marriage is to demonstrate Christianity and produce arrows for Jesus. Any individual traits, preferences or desires are put aside towards that goal. 

It is of course BS, because people do have their own desires and traits, and trying to deny them just results in situations like Josh Duggar and Peter Bradrick. 

I'm sure that Steve and Teri are sad that Sarah hasn't married, but only because she's not fulfilling her destiny as married woman (but even then they can accept an alternative destiny as servant to her father). It would never have entered their mind that they were holding her back, because all children are to be held back. It also wouldn't have even entered their mind that it was even their fault, because they're following God's way, they must be, so this must be what God wants.

ETA: I will add that John appears to be the most adult of the Maxwell offspring, because of his exposure to the outside world and evidence that he has actually got to make some decisions for himself e.g. re overseas trip. But I bet that would not be Steve's preference.

2 hours ago, Koala said:

I doubt there's even a glimmer of guilt or the perception of a problem.  Many horrors have been inflicted throughout history by people in power who were convinced they were right.  Fortunately, this is a small "empire" which is showing scant sign of getting much larger.

If Saturday night live had an actor who talked and acted like Sarah I'd be impressed by their acting skills and find it hilarious. But nope, it's real life, and it is just plain sad. She can't craft a comprehensible sentence in writing or speaking.

It makes me think of the His Dark Materials book, where the evil church severed the children from their daemons to ensure they would forever be free from any desires or personality and be guaranteed to go to heaven. Steve and Teri have done that to their kids in real life and they brag about it.

On 27/04/2017 at 7:24 AM, Palimpsest said:

Seriously.  I've told Mr. P that my obituary may only say: "she shuffled off this mortal coil but her ashes will be pushing up the daisies."

I think it appropriate because it sort of combines English Lit., cremation (so much tidier), and gardening. :dance:

Pining for the fjords?

1 minute ago, CyborgKin said:

Pining for the fjords?

What kind of talk is that?  :playful2:

I love a good Monty Python reference.

9 hours ago, VodouDoll said:

It makes me think of the His Dark Materials book, where the evil church severed the children from their daemons to ensure they would forever be free from any desires or personality and be guaranteed to go to heaven. Steve and Teri have done that to their kids in real life and they brag about it.

ATI, Duggars, Maxwells and all the rest really do seem like His Dark Materials. The author must have had some background of first hand knowledge, because he is spot on. 

Unsurprisingly, the question I asked about the IBLP conference didn't get posted onto the blog. So I suspect there's going to be no mention of it.

The hubris is strong with this one - but it doesn't have to be. Even if the conference doesn't get anywhere near the numbers it used to, I'll bet it would still be the largest audience Steve and Teri have presented to, and as featured speakers no less. Plus: opportunities for fellowship with famous fundies, networking, book sales, "oh look at all the precious children".  

It should be prime Maxwell blog territory - but it isn't. Because it's not "their" ministry. 

OMG.  They still have Joe's "spontaneous" caterwauling up on vimeo.

(You might want to turn the sound down.)

Yikes, @Palimpsest, what are you trying to do to us this fine Friday morning?  I wonder if any fundie maidens would feel a stirring, from the Lord, of course, while watching this. Spontaneous describes the Maxwells to a tee, wouldn't you agree?

3 minutes ago, freejugar said:

Lol, does he think he's a popstar making a music video?

If I remember correctly, it was just after his Sekrit Wedding and it was a Special Gift for Elissa.

Little did he realise that that video is grounds for instant annulment in 35 states.

4 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

If I remember correctly, it was just after his Sekrit Wedding and it was a Special Gift for Elissa.

It was actually just before his wedding.  It was his last vacation in CO as a member of the "immediate" family and joy overcame him.  

Here's the post: https://blog.titus2.com/category/vacation/

It was indeed "stunning," but not quite in the way Sarah thinks, and there was nothing spontaneous about it!

1 minute ago, Palimpsest said:

It was actually just before his wedding.  It was his last vacation in CO as a member of the "immediate" family and joy overcame him.  

Here's the post: https://blog.titus2.com/category/vacation/

It was indeed "stunning," but not quite in the way Sarah thinks, and there was nothing spontaneous about it!

Thanks for that. I think!

From the blog:

We are excited to share with you a very special video that Joseph recorded for Elissa, August 21st, while we were in Colorado. It had been on his heart to sing her favorite song, and after summiting Mount Huron, he hurried back to the perfect location. The video is informal, and the background music was just practice music and spliced in. Joseph sent Elissa the music from Colorado. She was delighted! We’ll be sharing the behind-the-scenes pictures in a separate post.

Seriously? Does she not have ears?

6 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Seriously? Does she not have ears?

Apparently not.  However in the Christmas video she has the admiring submissive stare down pat.  

Listen at your own risk!  The Maxwells, especially Joe, wail rather than sing.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived