IGNORED

Maxwell 8: Not Riveting Our Attention

FundieFarmer

1 hour ago, SPHASH said:

I watched the video again in slow motion.  Didn't see Stud John at all.

Wow, you're right, he's not there at all. 

That is really interesting. 

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, bertnee said:

They all live in a 20 mile radius of Steve, right?

Joseph's house is farthest at a whopping 0.6 miles. 

That's 6/10th of one mile. 

8 hours ago, LogansMama said:

ETA:  I'm especially pissed that he refers to this young woman as "somewhat unattractive".  Eff off, Steve.  How dare you call someone unattractive!

Yeah, I mean, what on earth did that have to do with the story? God, Steve is so weird.

And also, what made the black clad husband such a horrible father that Steve cried out to God about it? He's wearing black, is scruffy, and has his baseball hat pulled down low? What is the mortal parenting/husbanding sin in any of that? 

What an asshole. And what an incredible avalanche of assumptions.

How does he know she was upset? Maybe she has Resting Bitch Face. I'm usually not sitting there with a big smile plastered over my face when I'm waiting for fast food in the mall or wherever they were. Maybe she was wiping at her eyes because she had allergies. 

How does he know she was 17 and not 25? Some people look younger than they really are.

How does he know the guy she was with was her husband and not her brother, cousin, friend, etc.?

How does he know they looked sullen and disheveled because they're bad people who have a bad relationship? Maybe their house just burnt down. Maybe one of them was just diagnosed with a terminal disease. Maybe the woman just had a miscarriage. Maybe they had just been victims of a crime in the past few days. Maybe they were brother and sister and their father just died and they were out getting food and stuff for the baby. Maybe they were just new parents, exhausted and hungry and had some kind of normal marital spat, and if Steve had seen them ten minutes later they would've been laughing and smiling.

Really Christian attitude there, Steve. He doesn't even try to pretend, does he?

15 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

What an asshole. And what an incredible avalanche of assumptions.

How does he know she was upset? Maybe she has Resting Bitch Face. I'm usually not sitting there with a big smile plastered over my face when I'm waiting for fast food in the mall or wherever they were. Maybe she was wiping at her eyes because she had allergies. 

How does he know she was 17 and not 25? Some people look younger than they really are.

How does he know the guy she was with was her husband and not her brother, cousin, friend, etc.?

How does he know they looked sullen and disheveled because they're bad people who have a bad relationship? Maybe their house just burnt down. Maybe one of them was just diagnosed with a terminal disease. Maybe the woman just had a miscarriage. Maybe they had just been victims of a crime in the past few days. Maybe they were brother and sister and their father just died and they were out getting food and stuff for the baby. Maybe they were just new parents, exhausted and hungry and had some kind of normal marital spat, and if Steve had seen them ten minutes later they would've been laughing and smiling.

Really Christian attitude there, Steve. He doesn't even try to pretend, does he?

All of this.  You said it infinitely better than I could.

43 minutes ago, singsingsing said:

How does he know they looked sullen and disheveled because they're bad people who have a bad relationship?

He didn't know that, but he did know that the couple appeared poor, and therefore even if they were Christians, they would not be buying their house debt free, so were therefore not truly Content In Christ, which is also why they were not actually content at the time.

He knows this, and everything else, because he has a direct line to God, which is proven by the cult members he has accumulated and everything he has achieved in his life. Even the bits that are rank failures by anyone else's standards (the ministry, failure to treat Teri's depression, failure to marry off his daughters) he chooses to see as successes or future successes because only they are God's chosen ones.

4 hours ago, Granwych said:

My sisters and I were raised to believe that our deeply flawed dad hung the moon.  The ones who really suffered are our husbands, even now with dear old dad being dead for 14 years. 

Maybe it's a thing with mothers who married and started their families in the 50's?

Probably. As a person born in the 1950s - my husband has had to do a whole lot of confidence building over the years.  He is a very good guy.

It has always broken my heart that my mother who kicked ass as a nurse during the Blitz as a staff nurse at a London hospital dwindled into thinking my father hung the moon in the 1950s.  All the women then were told to hang back, minimize their huge contributions and "build the mens' confidence back up" in the 1950s.

My father (not a war hero and not a nice person at all) kicked the bucket in 1990.  After a few months of complete confusion after being at his beck and call since 1947, my mother came back into her own and enjoyed 23 years of being an independent widow.

It was really lovely to see her enjoy herself after so many years of servitude.

This is Steve we're talking about, who is known to fabricate, distort, and lie by omission in trying to make whatever pissy point his rambling, judgmental narratives are aiming for. So I wonder how much of that really occurred and what details got changed and what was left out. Maybe the young man's "dagger-tipped words" were simply "Let's go, Old Man Crazy Eyes there has been checking you out for the last ten minutes."

Still an asshole, regardless.

The funny thing to me, is a married 17-year-old mother is not what Steve and his ilk are against. It's the black clothes, the nose piercing, and the woman having short hair. The great thing is that Steve's opinion doesn't matter. No matter how many times a day he reads the Bible or how large the word JESUS is on his living room walls, his opinion is meaningless. He is as far from being like his hero Jesus as one can get and he's not smart enough to see that irony.

Steve Maxwell is no gift in any sense of the word to anyone - I can't believe that he would think that's okay to say about someone. It's a judgemental and a strangely human response from the very saintly Steve.  It makes his blog posts hypocritical and unbelievable.

Hi Steve! I'm thinking about you and hoping that you become less judgemental about people. Especially women, their clothing, and what it may indicate re family life. I hope you learn to show more compassion to others too.

15 hours ago, nausicaa said:

Yeah, I mean, what on earth did that have to do with the story? God, Steve is so weird.

And also, what made the black clad husband such a horrible father that Steve cried out to God about it? He's wearing black, is scruffy, and has his baseball hat pulled down low? What is the mortal parenting/husbanding sin in any of that? 

But but but it's really important to be visibly clean and wear COLOURS!

But not all colours at once, cos you could be one of them queers. And no pastels neither!

And as Stevehovah as my witness your wife better be the best looking woman on the planet (which is FLAT, dontcha know); anything else is just plain ugly! 

(that hurt :( )

Some might wonder if the stud protruding from her nose hinted she had a rebellious history, and if she was the one to desert her father. 

Or maybe she had a horrible, horrible father -- something that Steve seems incapable of contemplating.  Also, note that even though the couple was obviously poor, he had no thought giving them food or money. 

Okay. I'll go there. 

Does Steve really think some of his family members  would NOT be described as "somewhat unattractive"?  

Good find @Jingerale!

Omg, Nathan's style of teaching is so boring.

I watched a little of the longer class.  He must have spent 5 minutes going on about whether everyone was o.k. with using their first names in order to identify them (no last names allowed although Nathan did accidentally use a student's last name on two webinars, but he's pretty sure no one noticed).

He also has that fake, t.v. preacher way of talking, like fingernails on a blackboard.

I see why 1 Ton Ramp folded.

1 hour ago, Jingerale said:

New post up with a video that Jesse took of one of their 14ers. I clicked through and realized that there are quite a few videos posted of the 1TonRamp classes on their Vimeo page. 

Here's a trailer for the course, complete with prayer.

And for anyone willing to sit through interested in one of these classes, they have one posted.

wow.  Just wow.  I'm so glad he opened with prayer, otherwise it would be a useless course.  In watching this webinar thing, I've noticed he's blaming the user for any/all problems that could arise.

OMG. I'm at 11 minutes and we are still going over introductory crap. This is why I hate videos when I'm looking for actual information on how to do something. 

He's telling people to do the reading in a preacher cadence. It's weird. 

4 hours ago, purjolok84 said:

Steve Maxwell is no gift in any sense of the word to anyone - I can't believe that he would think that's okay to say about someone. It's a judgemental and a strangely human response from the very saintly Steve.  It makes his blog posts hypocritical and unbelievable.

Hi Steve! I'm thinking about you and hoping that you become less judgemental about people. Especially women, their clothing, and what it may indicate re family life. I hope you learn to show more compassion to others too.

I believe his reaction is based in fear, and a corresponding unwillingness to try to relate.  Unfortunately, he's supposed to be all about outreach - and since he can't be the problem, others get judged.

I don't follow their blog as much as some (so maybe I'm missing something), but the people that he and his family try to get over on all appear - superficially at least - to be very non-threatening; e.g., the elderly, cashiers, wait staff, children at county fairs.  Not people who look like they could tell him, in a potentially colorful manner, where to go and where and how to shove his opinions.

First of all, we have no idea if the woman was 17. Second, maybe she had the most awesome dad who raised her to be an individual and live on her terms, which included a nose ring. She could be a college student, artist, nurse, etc. Whoever she is, she likely is better equipped to survive in the world than Steve's daughters. Although, I think most people in general are better equipped than Steve's daughters. 

If I am not dressed for work, I look like crap. No makeup, jeans and my cleanest T-shirt and flip flops, vans if it's cold. I don't dress up unless I have to. No one would think I have an education or a profession. I won't fit the stereotype. You can't tell anything about people by looking at them. Steve seems to just impose on people what he wants them to be. 

24 minutes ago, Dandruff said:

I believe his reaction is based in fear, and a corresponding unwillingness to try to relate.  Unfortunately, he's supposed to be all about outreach - and since he can't be the problem, others get judged.

I don't follow their blog as much as some (so maybe I'm missing something), but the people that he and his family try to get over on all appear - superficially at least - to be very non-threatening; e.g., the elderly, cashiers, wait staff, children at county fairs.  Not people who look like they could tell him, in a potentially colorful manner, where to go and where and how to shove his opinions.

This is true, but I believe Nathan, Chris, Steve and maybe some of the J's "volunteer" at a homeless shelter.  I say "volunteer" because I believe it's just preaching at the poor souls.  Of course the womenfolk are not allowed to go, lest they be exposed to any ungodly influences.

Also, I found it weird that he seemed upset that the woman who appeared 17 was also married and had a baby. Wouldn't he be more upset (like, ready to combust in eternal hellfire) if she appeared that young with a baby and was UNmarried??? Steve makes no sense. 

Digging through the archives! Steve can't just make a decision. The Holy Spirit tells him what to do. maxwell.PNG.eee99643f122ec68909f027c6aa1f698.PNG 

Ew, he did not need to repeat the bit about Teri kissing his smooth face over and over. :pb_confused:

Repeatedly referencing Teri loving kissing his smooth face sounds like a teenage boy bragging to his friends about getting to second base. It just doesn't sound like something regular adults would repeatedly say in a blog or out loud. 

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived