IGNORED

Maxwell 8: Not Riveting Our Attention

FundieFarmer

2 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

@PennySycamore, I hope you made a good recovery from your stroke.  Frightening.

Actually Steve's sons are probably better prepared for earning an income than many Fundie boys.  He has let them get real training and credentials although only in limited fields.

I have joked that I would hire Joseph and John to do house renovations if they didn't try to convert me.  Their work looks quite good on the Maxwell houses.  The Maxwell Construction business was shut down a couple of years ago, however.  Perhaps the Jesus speak on the website put people off.

I noticed recently that Joseph does not have any Jesus speak on his Swift Otter site. 

Remember when he had something about how he was saved by the blood of Jesus on that site?  All gone.

And nothing about Jesus in any of the Maxwells bios on the Swift Otter site, even Steve's bio (although I think they do mention how at least one of them takes his coffee :pb_rollseyes:)

I agree, I think they realized that puts people off, and might cost them jobs.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, RoseWilder said:

@nausicaa: This is totally off topic, but I've always wondered who that is in your avatar picture. The picture reminds me of the maid on Newhart. 

@RoseWilder,  that avatar does look like the first pre-Stephanie maid.  

@RoseWilder and @PennySycamore It is the first pre-Stephanie maid from Newhart--Leslie Vanderkellen! (Stephanie's more level-headed cousin). 

I'm really impressed you guys recognized her! I was going through a Newhart kick when I first joined FJ, and considering she was getting a Master's in religion from Dartmouth while working as the Loudons' maid, I thought it was appropriate. 

I've thought of changing it to this photo of her, when things get really weird around here:

jh5.JPG

20 hours ago, Palimpsest said:

@PennySycamore, I hope you made a good recovery from your stroke.  Frightening.

Actually Steve's sons are probably better prepared for earning an income than many Fundie boys.  He has let them get real training and credentials although only in limited fields.

I have joked that I would hire Joseph and John to do house renovations if they didn't try to convert me.  Their work looks quite good on the Maxwell houses.  The Maxwell Construction business was shut down a couple of years ago, however.  Perhaps the Jesus speak on the website put people off.

I agree about Maxwell Construction - good, reliable and honest contractors are hard to find.  They could have made a good living with those skills.  I would even tolerate their preaching under those conditions.  I'm good at non-committal "uh huh's". :my_rolleyes:

17 hours ago, kpmom said:

I agree, I think they realized that puts people off, and might cost them jobs.

We noticed that the Jesus speak had been wiped from those sites about, I forget, perhaps a year ago?

They had obviously tried very hard to make those websites look much more professional.  Swift Otter was a real mess before that.   I described it as looking like a middle school project at one point.  John's irrigation site never had any God stuff on it that I remember.

That reminds me, I wish @sparkles would come back.  She has an encyclopedic memory for all things Maxwell.  I miss her.

20 minutes ago, crawfishgirl said:

I would even tolerate their preaching under those conditions.  I'm good at non-committal "uh huh's".

You are a better and braver person than I am. :)

Joe and John might be OK but Steve is scary.  It is those staring eyes.

1 hour ago, Palimpsest said:

That reminds me, I wish @sparkles would come back.  She has an encyclopedic memory for all things Maxwell.  I miss her.

@sparkles was the best! Come back oh sparkly one!

And ditto to the posters above who don't understand why the Maxwells didn't stick with their contracting company. They seemed really good at it, it's a constantly in demand business, it met all of their religious requirements, and was all manly man. The only thing I can think is that the sons really didn't like it? But John comes off as a guy who likes more active work. Maybe they didn't like being in non-believers' homes? 

If you check out the "What We've Done" page on the Swift Otter site and scroll to the bottom, you will find the Titus2 site. Note the language used throughout:

Titus2.com is a ministry for encouraging families in Jesus Christ. We had the blessing of being able to migrate them from their own in-house shopping cart to Magento. Their existing cart was not built for maintainability, and they were pushing the boundaries. Magento is rock-solid, easy to use and very maintainable.

1 hour ago, nomoxian said:

If you check out the "What We've Done" page on the Swift Otter site and scroll to the bottom, you will find the Titus2 site. Note the language used throughout:

"They" are now extended family, after all. 

10 minutes ago, AuntCloud said:

"They" are now extended family, after all. 

But Swift Otter includes Steve and Jesse too. 

They make it sound like they were hired to update this Titus2 site, when actually they were the ones to build it in the first place, and it's their own darned site!

Very misleading imo.

What happened to sparkles?  Did she get a permanent residency in the Prayer closet?

She just quit showing up one day.  People do that quite frequently.

The whole family had a barbecue fellowship at Weston State Park!

Steve was in charge of grilling the sausages to perfection! Hope there were no explosions.

Ruthie's in a winter coat and plastic bib to keep her safe from spillages. The way she's looking at the camera says that she knows how ridiculous it is.

Christopher's kids look miserable or is it just me? 

Whats with the Crossfit shirts if they only work out at home? 

Oh man, I am LOVING the return of the term "picnic eggs." Makes me laugh every time.

3 hours ago, mango_fandango said:

The whole family had a barbecue fellowship at Weston State Park!

Steve was in charge of grilling the sausages to perfection! Hope there were no explosions.

Ruthie's in a winter coat and plastic bib to keep her safe from spillages. The way she's looking at the camera says that she knows how ridiculous it is.

Joshua and Lydia are wearing the bibs too, by why would they need them at all if they're eating outside?  To avoid stains?  What if they get dirty while playing?

Play? Surely you jest. Play indicates some level of FUN is being enjoyed. 

Bibs on Joshua confuse me. He's about to be 5, isn't he? I have a five year old and she hasn't worn a bib in about 2 or 3 years. My nearly 3 year old only wears one for porridge and ice cream cones. Maybe they were away for a whole day and didn't bring a change?

"Picnic" eggs are hilarious! Can't even mention the D word when it comes to food! I wonder what they call Devil's food cake?

3 hours ago, terranova said:

"Picnic" eggs are hilarious! Can't even mention the D word when it comes to food! I wonder what they call Devil's food cake?

Well, since "angel food" is taken, maybe they call it prayer chocolate or Tuesday cake.

Can't go with birthday chocolate because birthdays are the domain of pairs of animal crackers. 

So Sarah possibly fractured a toe because a kettleball rolled on it (and who carries kettleballs around in cars anyway?) but didn't get medical attention for it because Jesus.

56 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

So Sarah possibly fractured a toe because a kettleball rolled on it (and who carries kettleballs around in cars anyway?) but didn't get medical attention for it because Jesus.

Or because MDs generally do nothing for a fracture toe.

Or Steve is just too cheap for medical care.

1 minute ago, SassyPants said:

Or because MDs generally do nothing for a fracture toe.

Or Steve is just too cheap for medical care.

Yeah, I know the first is a decent excuse, but I'm going with the second option because I can!

20 hours ago, terranova said:

Bibs on Joshua confuse me. He's about to be 5, isn't he? I have a five year old and she hasn't worn a bib in about 2 or 3 years. My nearly 3 year old only wears one for porridge and ice cream cones. Maybe they were away for a whole day and didn't bring a change?

Who puts a bib on a 5 year old? Even a 3 year old borders on ridiculous. I'm calling moms who don't want to deal with messes. My 3 YO GD hasn't worn a bib in 18 months...her mother, a FT working mom, deals with the messes as they happen. Of course, she's an only child.

• Coconut Flan locked this topic

Archived